Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Synergism question: What can cause a power-spike to result in a LESSENING of efficiency? I was running automated Ascendancies in the ~16 second range (2/2/1/1/2 rest 0 corruptions) that had averaged around ~700 cubes per second. I went to spend Cubes, buying a few tiers of 4x5 and maybe doubling my 3.5 million tribute to around 7 million. I INSTANTLY start getting 25 second runs worth less, around 600 cubes per second, with only the occasional rare run breaking past the old value of 700 and approaching 800. Point is, my average took a hit and I can't really parse why, given that the only change was an INCREASE in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

challenge completions

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

idgi, wouldn't more power mean I clear C10 quicker rather than slower? the individual run speeds actually increased slightly indicating the auto-challenge had to sweep through more times

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Have you watched the challenge sweep to see how quickly it's cycling through? One thing that has tripped me up a few times is when a challenge would clear in nearly the max amount of time the sweep settings allow. That resets the timer, which could allow you to clear another repeat of that challenge in nearly the max time, and so on and so forth. It's kind of down to luck whether this happens, but when it does it can make the challenge sweep get stuck on a challenge for a while. When that happens your cubes per second can take a hit because you're spending a relatively large amount of time on something that's giving you very small returns.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In NGU, is it natural to have what feels like a huge wall between Exile and Rad Lands?

I think i've been at this point for weeks now and while i've maxed out resource allocation on things like blood and NGUs, stuff like Wishes has also started to seem like it's slowed down a lot.

I've bought all of the cheap stuff (anything under 100k) with PP and i'm now slowly putting it into the 25k a pop adventure stats for rich jerks to slowly increase things.

For QP's i was putting them into the adventure stats perk but have just switched to slowly maxing out the level 4 and 5 stat retention perks for things like gold, beard and advanced training.

Cards don't seem too good at the minute, but i only cast things that are good or above just now so there's not a lot that comes in.

For hacks, i've only got 40% of my resource 3 left after putting 60% of it across my 3 wish slots, but there i've mainly been putting it into either EXP/PP/QP/Wishes and occasionally hacks, but i'm looking at about 10 minutes a level for each of those just now.

Is that the most efficient use for hacks at this point or should i just be dumping it into wishes every day constantly until i complete all of the evil wishes?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
sad starts off really really slow. it actually picks up a bit later but losing blood pill hurts, a lot, and this is when you should start thinking about splitting exp into adventure starts from time to time

e: I just saw your banks aren't maxed and that's wild to me

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Ya'll need to get over to Steam and try Leaf Blower Revolution an idle/incremental about blowing leaves off-screen to gain currencies.
It is oddly satisfying to zoom around and blow the leaves away.
It is very "incremental" at first but gets "idle" after a few prestiges.

There are a ton of upgrades so theres always something to do and your reptile brain is constantly getting rewarded. You can get more trees so that more leaves spawn per second, increased spawn time of leaves, automatic leaf blowers (eventually you get 15 of them), different types of leaves for more menus of upgrades, a combo upgrade, etc.

My biggest complaint so far is that there are a tad too many different currencies. 6 types of leaves, which all have a large amount of upgrades, then you start getting flasks (5 types) whose main purpose is to be able to gain more of the next tier of flask. Flasks feel a bit pointless atm beyond a quick upgrade to increase all your resource gains; i assume there will be more upgrades added to flasks later.

So all in all its a fun little game but it has gone a bit off the rails with its 13 different currencies (6 leaves, 5 flasks, a prestige currency and an IAP currency)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kin posted:

In NGU, is it natural to have what feels like a huge wall between Exile and Rad Lands?

I think i've been at this point for weeks now and while i've maxed out resource allocation on things like blood and NGUs, stuff like Wishes has also started to seem like it's slowed down a lot.

I've bought all of the cheap stuff (anything under 100k) with PP and i'm now slowly putting it into the 25k a pop adventure stats for rich jerks to slowly increase things.

For QP's i was putting them into the adventure stats perk but have just switched to slowly maxing out the level 4 and 5 stat retention perks for things like gold, beard and advanced training.

Cards don't seem too good at the minute, but i only cast things that are good or above just now so there's not a lot that comes in.

For hacks, i've only got 40% of my resource 3 left after putting 60% of it across my 3 wish slots, but there i've mainly been putting it into either EXP/PP/QP/Wishes and occasionally hacks, but i'm looking at about 10 minutes a level for each of those just now.

Is that the most efficient use for hacks at this point or should i just be dumping it into wishes every day constantly until i complete all of the evil wishes?

I wouldn't focus too much on hacks. There's a point when it takes so long to advance any single hack that it's better to just focus on wishes. If it takes longer than 10 minutes, it's better to move the resources elsewhere. Also, never underestimate the power of popping two Resource 3 potions for a significant boost.

Late Evil and early Sadistic is when it's better to accumulate PP and QP for the more expensive perks. If something gives you less than 1% of an upgrade, you should probably hold off on it for a while. Weigh how much time it takes to even get a full 1% to decide whether it's worth the investment at this point.

Cards are a significant boost to your stats since a single Adventure card can give you a few %. It's good to push Adv, PP and Wish cards since they give the most valuable bonuses during late Evil.

Don't underestimate the Adventure MacGuffin. If you combine it with the MacGuffin Muffin, you can probably get about 0.6% to Adv stat when you reset every half an hour. Plus whatever value you had the MacGuffin at if you popped the Muffin before resetting a longer run.

Also check if you can spend EXP on the Adventure Stats. Chances are you might actually boost your stats significantly if you've been neglecting this.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hmm, I've gotten to the point where I need to pick and choose which modules I want in Perfect Tower 2 (on the cusp of T5, just need to max out like 30 more modules).

Assuming I don't want to micromanage too much, what builds have been working for folks? I've pretty much been slotting as much multiplicative damage as I can (every touch and impetus I have) on top of the basic elemental damage modules, and what few defense modules I'm using have mostly been ones that also increase my damage (Magma Foundation, Strike Back + Defiance), which works pretty good until it doesn't (the point where I'm not one-shotting enemies anymore).

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Hmm, I've gotten to the point where I need to pick and choose which modules I want in Perfect Tower 2 (on the cusp of T5, just need to max out like 30 more modules).

Assuming I don't want to micromanage too much, what builds have been working for folks? I've pretty much been slotting as much multiplicative damage as I can (every touch and impetus I have) on top of the basic elemental damage modules, and what few defense modules I'm using have mostly been ones that also increase my damage (Magma Foundation, Strike Back + Defiance), which works pretty good until it doesn't (the point where I'm not one-shotting enemies anymore).

I just finished up that part. Defiance only, get the ultimate skill out of the gravity experiment (for -.5g) in the laboratory and stack the '1 defense module' and 'at least one of each module type' buffs in the headquarters to grind out the rest of the tier. Tier 5 gives you new wave skipping program that gives you +1 wave for every enemy you kill in endless mode so you can unlock the rarer, more interesting modules with that.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kin posted:

If you're past Exile v4, consider moving on to Sadistic even if you haven't done Rad Lands yet. It's an even bigger leap from there to the first real Sad zone anyway, it'll give you something to do. Plus, if you dump some resources into A/D to a point that you can complete Sad Troll 2, the new reward (macguffins give the old 30m growth/time rate at 24 hour rebirths) means your dailies give way more passive benefit.

To be honest, though, I personally did Exile v3, v4 and Radlands in one long rebirth. I'll probably pay for it now with a bigger wall before the first Sad zone, but I consider that worthwhile since I'm doing my repetitive dailies with the aforementioned MacGuffin bonus, and the loss of Iron Pill is meaningless as I get 2.5 billion EXP per day and replacing the gains from it with stat purchases is barely noticeable.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ineptitude posted:

Ya'll need to get over to Steam and try Leaf Blower Revolution an idle/incremental about blowing leaves off-screen to gain currencies.
It is oddly satisfying to zoom around and blow the leaves away.
It is very "incremental" at first but gets "idle" after a few prestiges.

There are a ton of upgrades so theres always something to do and your reptile brain is constantly getting rewarded. You can get more trees so that more leaves spawn per second, increased spawn time of leaves, automatic leaf blowers (eventually you get 15 of them), different types of leaves for more menus of upgrades, a combo upgrade, etc.

My biggest complaint so far is that there are a tad too many different currencies. 6 types of leaves, which all have a large amount of upgrades, then you start getting flasks (5 types) whose main purpose is to be able to gain more of the next tier of flask. Flasks feel a bit pointless atm beyond a quick upgrade to increase all your resource gains; i assume there will be more upgrades added to flasks later.

So all in all its a fun little game but it has gone a bit off the rails with its 13 different currencies (6 leaves, 5 flasks, a prestige currency and an IAP currency)

Okay, I played it.

1. You must have missed black flasks, which opens up big leaf crunches (with BLC coins) and strange flasks.
2. There's a mystery achievement on the very bottom, so there's probably a 16th currency as well.
3. So far I haven't found a way to increase BLC gained in a run besides a) spending BLC coins and b) getting lots of strange flasks.

There's not enough automation in the upgrades for my taste, but what's really going to kill this is the slow drip of BLC coins. There's no sign of any new currency unlocks in the BLC shop itself, so I guess I just have to grind them until something happens (or wait for an update maybe).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Okay, I played it.

1. You must have missed black flasks, which opens up big leaf crunches (with BLC coins) and strange flasks.
2. There's a mystery achievement on the very bottom, so there's probably a 16th currency as well.
3. So far I haven't found a way to increase BLC gained in a run besides a) spending BLC coins and b) getting lots of strange flasks.

There's not enough automation in the upgrades for my taste, but what's really going to kill this is the slow drip of BLC coins. There's no sign of any new currency unlocks in the BLC shop itself, so I guess I just have to grind them until something happens (or wait for an update maybe).

Yeah I got to Strange Flasks/BLC coins and then... there's nothing?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Sanity check for myself: the Synergism dev is flirting with the idea of hourly very-small bonuses for active players. To me, that seems like a very small benefit yet a huge feel-bad for people to miss out on, and a lot of busywork for not a lot of gain. Am I just awful at game design and it's fine, or am I at least not totally wrong that it can be a turn off for some segment of people and is easily avoided?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You have to drive engagement to leverage your audience synergies.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sanity check for myself: the Synergism dev is flirting with the idea of hourly very-small bonuses for active players. To me, that seems like a very small benefit yet a huge feel-bad for people to miss out on, and a lot of busywork for not a lot of gain. Am I just awful at game design and it's fine, or am I at least not totally wrong that it can be a turn off for some segment of people and is easily avoided?

Probably will add a mechanism in the cash shop so that you don't miss out on those active-play bonuses, like how the NGU wheel lets you bank time.

FOMO is strong - people wouldn't pay for a trickle of resources, but if they're missing out on that trickle, they might pay to not miss out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It would have been fine if this was still when the game was in the meta cycle of rewarding quick rebirth and constant attention, but they got rid of all that to stuff that requires attention only a few times a day so it seems both incoherent and an easy way to piss people off.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's literally just daily stuff not check the game every 5 minutes

the hourly thing also barely matters so who cares about it

Aurora fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 14, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Aurora posted:

the hourly thing also barely matters so who cares about it

Counterpoint: If it barely matters, leave it out

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Devor posted:

Counterpoint: If it barely matters, leave it out
Yeah, the daily stuff I'm fine with, but "5 quarks an hour" is just like, a pittance, for no reason.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, the daily stuff I'm fine with, but "5 quarks an hour" is just like, a pittance, for no reason.

if it's better scripted because sleep exists it's a bad feature

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah I got to Strange Flasks/BLC coins and then... there's nothing?

There are exotic leaves as well. But yeah not much.

An update this morning added Celestial leaves. No idea how much content that really adds though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

There are exotic leaves as well. But yeah not much.

An update this morning added Celestial leaves. No idea how much content that really adds though.

Yeah the exotics weren't there when I'd stopped but updates are happening so I fired it back up before I left for work this morning.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm already pretty close to giving up on synergism because I have to leave my computer on to run ascensions, and I'd like to save power and also, I play way too much idle game if I can't make progress with the window closed: I can only consistently engage with them healthily if progress can happen while it's off. So hourly bonuses? No please.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So is there a standard location to look for new (PC) incremental games now that Kongregate isn't an option?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So is there a standard location to look for new (PC) incremental games now that Kongregate isn't an option?

Honestly I've just kept an eye on this thread and the https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/ subreddit. I bet there's probably a discord or something, but people are increasingly making them on their own, so there isn't that Kongregate sort of collective.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I really want to like Legends of Idleon but it's so tedious and so horrifically balanced.

It needs something more than the "tediously move your characters to the right spot then wait for days to get enough resources for the terribly balanced quests". Things that have driven me nuts:

- I was active to farm the crystal stamp for one of the later World 1 quests. I turned in the quest and it took my stamp, which means that I can't use it for the stamp collector. Based on the wiki it looks like it's quest specific so... why? The reward for doing so (which took like hours of checking back every 20-30 minutes) was completely and utterly worthless. Too many quests give absolute garbage for what is needed to actually finish them.
- I farmed up the resources for the empty box quest (which the feature it unlocks can be a fun thing to do, maybe?). I got the fishing (which was tedious with 3 people farming it) and the tooth, and I needed to get water. Turns out the distilled water cost ramps up for every single one, and you need 20. Even without ramping it would take nearly a day of regen (and I've put a lot of money into the cauldron). With ramping it's going to take even longer. WHY?
- Boss keys are frustrating. I'm glad I figured out the boss and got him on my last key. Now he's easy mode, but... eh. It's just silly I can't practice the wolf golem and use keys to get actual loot.
- Trying to craft things is annoying because half of it is stupid inventory management. Inventory holding is fine if you want to maximize how long you can idle, but making it necessary for crafting is... aggrivating. I need one more inventory spot to craft the Wode pants, and I thought I'd get it after all the effort to make bullets for the world 2 quest for Bob, but then I had to do post office deliveries, which involves an above frustration.
- You should get more teleports per day. It's not particularly interesting to click characters around the world.

It's like Lava made an MMO without realizing what makes MMOs so interesting (the constant influx of small but meaningful gains). Maybe the patch he's going to release eventually will make it better, but for now it's just missing the fun factor.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 16, 2020

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Dragongem posted:

I really want to like Legends of Idleon but it's so tedious and so horrifically balanced.

It needs something more than the "tediously move your characters to the right spot then wait for days to get enough resources for the terribly balanced quests". Things that have driven me nuts:

- I was active to farm the crystal stamp for one of the later World 1 quests. I turned in the quest and it took my stamp, which means that I can't use it for the stamp collector. Based on the wiki it looks like it's quest specific so... why? The reward for doing so (which took like hours of checking back every 20-30 minutes) was completely and utterly worthless. Too many quests give absolute garbage for what is needed to actually finish them.
- I farmed up the resources for the empty box quest (which the feature it unlocks can be a fun thing to do, maybe?). I got the fishing (which was tedious with 3 people farming it) and the tooth, and I needed to get water. Turns out the distilled water cost ramps up for every single one, and you need 20. Even without ramping it would take nearly a day of regen (and I've put a lot of money into the cauldron). With ramping it's going to take even longer. WHY?
- Boss keys are frustrating. I'm glad I figured out the boss and got him on my last key. Now he's easy mode, but... eh. It's just silly I can't practice the wolf golem and use keys to get actual loot.
- Trying to craft things is annoying because half of it is stupid inventory management. Inventory holding is fine if you want to maximize how long you can idle, but making it necessary for crafting is... aggrivating. I need one more inventory spot to craft the Wode pants, and I thought I'd get it after all the effort to make bullets for the world 2 quest for Bob, but then I had to do post office deliveries, which involves
- You should get more teleports per day. It's not particularly interesting to click characters around the world.

It's like Lava made an MMO without realizing what makes MMOs so interesting (the constant influx of small but meaningful gains). Maybe the patch he's going to release eventually will make it better, but for now it's just missing the fun factor.

Crystal stamp: the wiki isn't sure if that stamp got added to the regular loot table for world 1 mobs after completing the quest. If it does- you'll randomly get it farming at some point eventually, like the talent books. But yeah a lot of quests are absolutely not worth pursuing, especially on every character.

The distilled water: what the store doesn't say in the tooltip anywhere is that the cost resets every day when the shops reset. The only way I found this out was by reading outside sources :shrug: There's generally not enough documentation on things in-game, especially in world 2.

Generally agreeing with everything else. Game still needs more polish to get really good, but Lava is fighting both "needing to fix and polish content currently in the game" and "players are reaching the end of content now, need to expand new content" at the same time, and trying to fix both in the long term is going to be rough unless he starts putting in serious timesinks for players playing since day 1.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Manyorcas posted:

Game still needs more polish to get really good, but Lava is fighting both "needing to fix and polish content currently in the game" and "players are reaching the end of content now, need to expand new content" at the same time, and trying to fix both in the long term is going to be rough unless he starts putting in serious timesinks for players playing since day 1.

Wow, it really is like a real MMO!

I like the game despite the flaws though, but maybe I'm just broke brain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I could only put about a day of on-and-off tinkering with Idleon before deciding it was too tedious :shrug:

Yet somehow Evolve idle has hooked me back in with the new content so who knows. (*Scripting Edition)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mining in perfectt tower 2 is very obtuse

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Agent355 posted:

Wow, it really is like a real MMO!

I like the game despite the flaws though, but maybe I'm just broke brain.

I really like the game's main idea. I think it's something that with some adjustments will improve significantly. The task system + cards I think can really bolster it, too.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 17, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I can't really disagree with anyone's complaints about Idleon, they just....don't really bug me that much. Probably helps that I bought the gem store upgrade that gives 7 teleports per day, that tends to be enough to smooth things out quite a bit.

That being said, I think I'm probably taking a break at least until the next update comes out. I'm not as ahead as some people (highest character is only level 60) but I do feel like I've exhausted most of the content so far, and I don't really wanna burn out.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Yeah, agreeing that the game is flawed but has a good enough concept to stick with for now. One of the nice parts of this little genre of games is seeing the games quickly expand and evolve while you're them. Depending on how big Idle Skilling was though I wouldn't mind if Lava brought on an extra person since he's making at least some income from the game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The update was 'supposed' to drop last weekend, then this weekend, now 'soon', which should theoretically still mean it's not all that far off.

I think it will go a long way to fixing some of this stuff.

I also want to be clear that I 100% agree with every problem brought up, they just don't bother me enough to quit either. I like the core conceit and I'm willing to put up with a bit of jank through some patches. We'll see if the game actually improves.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Agent355 posted:

The update was 'supposed' to drop last weekend, then this weekend, now 'soon', which should theoretically still mean it's not all that far off.

Update is currently in alpha testing now, I expect another day or two to fix the bugs that are being found/balance tweaks being suggested.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Aurora posted:

perfectt tower 2 is very obtuse

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Agent355 posted:

I think it will go a long way to fixing some of this stuff.

The game just has some fundamental balance issues that I'm highly skeptical will be addressed any time soon if ever. If Idle Skilling is anything to go by, he'll spend most of his time developing new features instead of fixing or retuning the old, broken ones.

Not saying this to be negative on the developer. What he built as one person is incredible. I just don't think a good game of this scope is a one-man project.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
There has been an update to Synergism. It's mostly a balance update, but in the patch notes, there's a 2,500 Quark code.

I still keep this one ticking away, but progress is really slow for me as I chip away at challenge 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm not sure i like the factory or power plant parts of perfect tower 2

or the lab really