Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all! I'm glad he's almost done. I was just commenting on the amount of work I put into it and how it looks, haha. I think it's really easy to get get those reflective qualities out of the silver paints but it's harder with gold. For me, anyway. I still need to do the wiring in his waist & base him.

Also gonna paint up R2 tonight, I think. He should be fairly easy.

Edit: Oh poo poo, top of page. Here's a bunch of stuff I've painted so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all! I'm glad he's almost done. I was just commenting on the amount of work I put into it and how it looks, haha. I think it's really easy to get get those reflective qualities out of the silver paints but it's harder with gold. For me, anyway. I still need to do the wiring in his waist & base him.

Jeezy Christos, mate, if there was any chance you and I happened to be in the same country, let alone actually local, I'd be hitting you up for a quote to paint my giant Cthulhu from Death May Die.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zuul the Cat posted:

Good poo poo. Like the OSL on Vader- I find it tricky and am never satisfied with my own. It's very hard to either understate and just make it look like the figure has some red/blue schmutz on their tunic or overdo and make it look like their blown out holding a 1000 lumen flashlight backwards.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

Jeezy Christos, mate, if there was any chance you and I happened to be in the same country, let alone actually local, I'd be hitting you up for a quote to paint my giant Cthulhu from Death May Die.

Thank you! I'm honestly not that great, I just follow guides. :)

Owlbear Camus posted:

Good poo poo. Like the OSL on Vader- I find it tricky and am never satisfied with my own. It's very hard to either understate and just make it look like the figure has some red/blue schmutz on their tunic or overdo and make it look like their blown out holding a 1000 lumen flashlight backwards.

I'm horrible at OSL normally too but I've found Sorastro's guides to be super helpful. I'm planning on following his stuff for my Luke.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have been printing out so many dudes for Star Wars roleplaying with these dolls:
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1331707656126525440

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Picked up a GAV today, and thought the cargo boxes could be drat fine objectives...but with the recent changes to the vehicle that make it count as heavy cover for whoever's inside, I couldn't just leave it as a bare space-truck bed either (wouldn't feel right getting cover while standing there on top). I magnetized the cargo boxes, and there's still enough space in the bed for 5 troopers to stand :)

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 26, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's a great idea that I'm going to steal

Except I'm just gonna glue them down because gently caress magnets

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Anybody know of any sweet sweet Black Friday deals on Legion anywhere?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Same. If anyone is looking to unload some ARC troopers (I know they're stuck in licensing limbo, but the worst thing i can do is not try.) please, please hit me up. The husband is trying desperately to find two boxes and I'm trying for an early Christmas present.

(Apologies to the mods, I can move this to the sales forum if you would like.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GoingPostal posted:

(I know they're stuck in licensing limbo, but the worst thing i can do is not try.)

What's this about? I know Asmodee shuffled the game to a different subsidiary.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They're not in limbo. ARCs are impossible to find, though, have been since day 1.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yeah the ol supply problems. I picked up a box when they came out, and have some sitting on my hard drive to emerge from the goop if I need more.

You wouldn't download a car, but what if the only car company had supply problems constantly?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Picked up a GAV today, and thought the cargo boxes could be drat fine objectives...but with the recent changes to the vehicle that make it count as heavy cover for whoever's inside, I couldn't just leave it as a bare space-truck bed either (wouldn't feel right getting cover while standing there on top). I magnetized the cargo boxes, and there's still enough space in the bed for 5 troopers to stand :)

I wish one of the 3d printing dudes would make common troopers in tank dessante poses for just this kind of thing.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Ahh. Thats what happened to them. I heard second hand about what was going on sith the ARC troopers. Thank you for the clarification!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Man, painting multiple materials of black for Vader is very out of my style of painting. It’s nerve wracking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Half a roll of filament and 3 days print time but it'll look so good on the table. It'll have to wait till after a few other projects tho.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Painted a few models today. The previous scheme on my shores didn’t come out as well as I had wanted, so I went back to movie colors.

Getting wash on Ushabti Bone isn’t quite as bad as trying to make it look right on Pallid Witch Flesh (*coughclonetrooperscough*), but I went in a bit heavy on the squad leader before toning it back to something a bit better.

Anakin is up there for one of the easiest models I’ve ever painted. I wasn’t completely lazy, his boots and belt are brown...not like you can see it here, though :v:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Nice stuff. Doing all dark color schemes scares me. Painting Vader was very nerve wracking.

With your Anakin, have you tried a few highlights on the more prominent stuff like brow and nose?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nash posted:

Nice stuff. Doing all dark color schemes scares me. Painting Vader was very nerve wracking.

With your Anakin, have you tried a few highlights on the more prominent stuff like brow and nose?

I haven’t, as I drink entirely too much coffee to be that steady for any amount of time :v:

Having said that, I painted a speeder bike today (after drinking ~6 cups over the course of today)

Armor is Wraithbone with a touch of Nuln Oil on top. Not as stark a white like Pallid Flesh (which all of my clones are done with), but still close enough. I’ve got my shores with Ushabti Bone, scouts (if I ever get more) with Wraithbone, and if I ever pick up stormies they’ll be in Pallid Flesh (trying to link them to my Republic Clones through their armor colors). I was not feeling this color at first, but after I got through the helmet it started to seem more right...and pushing through gave me a good-enough result from the other side of the table.

Bike is Catachan Flesh/Abaddon Black, and their little bedroll on the back is Castellan Green.

e: I’d love to see a good tutorial on object source lighting, if anyone has one.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I received gold dust in the post today, Darth Maul and Super Battle Droids! Which means I'm thinking about paint schemes again as I now have a legal army ready to paint.

I'm a bit torn between painting stuff as close to the iconic colours as possible for that sweet, sweet nostalgia kick, and doing things with a bit of a twist. Where do you guys stand on that? Do you want your Legion to look just like the movies, or do you like a bit of variety?

Curiously revisiting the prequels I noticed that in Phantom menace B1 droids are pretty much an off-white, while on Geonosis in Ep2 they are actually more reddish-brown. Then in the Clone Wars series you get that yellow-sand look I think everyone remembers as the default. Commando droids meanwhile have several colour schemes going on.

I guess the rambling point is, what do you expect to see or want your opponent to bring to the table?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It probably doesnt apply as much for droids but to me the goal was a consistant theme. As a big fan of hoth I decided to paint all my rebels with snow bases and in whites and beiges like the hoth troopers, even though a lot of rebel troopers are in jungle fatigues. It actually ends up looking pretty good because the color scheme is consistent.

In general I'd say a new color scheme is cool, just try to aim to make your army looks like it belongs together and not a a random hodge podge of stuff. But at the same time youre the one doing the work.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 5, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ugleb posted:

I guess the rambling point is, what do you expect to see or want your opponent to bring to the table?

Back when I played 40k, people would show up with massive armies (50-150 models, depending on faction), and sometimes they weren’t even primed. There wasn’t even the illusion of effort put into them.

As long as someone puts some effort into their models, I’m fine with it. I’m sticking with screen-accurate colors because I haven’t found another palette that works just yet, aside from my speeder (which I re-did to movie colors anyways :v: )

Before, it was in a jungle scheme (which I apparently deleted all pics of). After, though...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ugleb posted:

I received gold dust in the post today, Darth Maul and Super Battle Droids! Which means I'm thinking about paint schemes again as I now have a legal army ready to paint.

I'm a bit torn between painting stuff as close to the iconic colours as possible for that sweet, sweet nostalgia kick, and doing things with a bit of a twist. Where do you guys stand on that? Do you want your Legion to look just like the movies, or do you like a bit of variety?

Curiously revisiting the prequels I noticed that in Phantom menace B1 droids are pretty much an off-white, while on Geonosis in Ep2 they are actually more reddish-brown. Then in the Clone Wars series you get that yellow-sand look I think everyone remembers as the default. Commando droids meanwhile have several colour schemes going on.

I tend to do a mix.

The way I think about "canon" paintjobs is the "just off screen" principle that they can even use in mainstream canon to justify things like the U-Wing. What we're seeing at any given time is a tiny slice of a big galaxy. We just out of where they're pointing the camera. There could be a different kind of alien or dude with a unique laser gun in the back booth of the cantina, or a spaceship unlike the rest in the hangar behind the cameraman.

There's thousands of systems, billions of troops, quadrillions of beings.

And that's why it's not a big deal if some of my snowtroopers use a Galactic Marine livery.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Funnily enough, revisiting Ep3 today and I noticed the Kashyyk clone troopers are wearing more jungle camo than white, so that's a thing too.

As you mention 40k, one of my main reasons for asking about this topic is that I discovered a local club just before Covid hit that apparently has some players with Legion stuff. I say apparently because from what I've seen so far the group is, if course, heavily focused on 40k and Blood Bowl, so I feel a vague need to make this engaging enough to compete for attention with the latest GW editions.

But fear not, I will not be fielding the grey horde!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Actually if a character is depicted on screen in a certain way that means that every member of their species and organization is the exact same

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Other than doing 2 vertical stripes down the front/center, I'm done with the speeder on the right.

I just didn't have painter's tape handy for a straight edge, that'll happen tomorrow :)

Also finished off my GAV today, trying to stick with movie color schemes...which makes imperial vehicles seem rather dull.

I put a wash on the areas I'd expect to get/stay dirty on either of these, like the laser cannon tips and radiator on the speeders. Did the same for the various grates/grills on the GAV, and of course the bed. Containers are Khorne Red, and may be washed just barely? I don't remember, but they look darker than I had expected.

I kept trying to pick up the tank by the cargo containers and them popping off, so those magnets I put there earlier are gone and now replaced by superglue :)

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah both imperial large vehicles benefit a ton from going nuts with weathering and distinct edge highlighting and drybrushing to make them pop since both their stock color schemes are fairly monochromatic. Either that or go for rebel style colorful racing stripes and accents to break things up.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I would be very tempted to go a shade of grey lighter and dry brush or edge highlight across those front ridges if you want to go another step.

But yeah, flat grey colour schemes do lead towards flat grey painting!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Out of sheer curiosity I just watched the Team Relentless Legion Buying guide Winter 2020.

Apparently a Republic/Separatist player should buy 3 core sets and at least 2 of every expansion. Dear god I wonder how much this guy spends on minis. Of if he owns a shop.

This started as a 'getting started' guide....

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, a lot of competitive ("competitive", considering very few people can play right now) Legion lists trend toward spamming the most effective units they can, which is why you get people saying you need to buy like 3 boxes of ARC Troopers or whatever. I'm not a fan but I do hope it'll change as more units come out.

I picked up Anakin and Darth Maul yesterday, they're both fantastic models. No idea what kind of list to build around them, but they're super cool.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 6, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At least for skirmish, it’ll be hard to get away from something like this with either Anakin or Obi Wan.

Anakin Skywalker (160 + 13 = 173)
--Jedi Mind Trick (5), Fear (3), Defensive Stance (5)

R2-D2 (45 + 15 = 60)
--C-3PO (15)

Phase I Clone Troopers (52 + 14 = 66)
--Phase I Clone Trooper (10), Ascension Cables (4)

I can’t wait for the generic clone officer to come out, I’d like to have the space to run a Sabre in the small format.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been a little busy, churning through Mandalorian resistance and my first batch of Phase IIs. Also redid Sabine and brightened her up a bit, the old scheme was just too dark to really work.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Ugleb posted:

Out of sheer curiosity I just watched the Team Relentless Legion Buying guide Winter 2020.

Apparently a Republic/Separatist player should buy 3 core sets and at least 2 of every expansion. Dear god I wonder how much this guy spends on minis. Of if he owns a shop.

This started as a 'getting started' guide....

Yeah, but remember this was a buying guide to "getting you competitive in a tournament environment ASAP" guide. For a step by step collection pace, Crabbok gives slightly less breakneck advice.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Feeple posted:

Yeah, but remember this was a buying guide to "getting you competitive in a tournament environment ASAP" guide. For a step by step collection pace, Crabbok gives slightly less breakneck advice.

I found Crabbok afterwards, it felt like a much more sane approach. "Buy three of everything" lacked nuance or sense. Surely if you are prepared to add that much crap to cart you are already way down the rabbit hole and don't need some guy on YouTube to tell you to do that.

Frankly the video could have been much shorter if he had just told you what NOT to load up on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Playing these kinds of games to DOMINATE always felt a bit off to me. The Gotcha gameplay, hypercompetafiveness, and weaponized trigonomerry of Warmachine put me off it forever after a few abortive attempts to get into it cause I liked the theme.

Split a couple core sets then buy the dolls that represent space warriors you like.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Owlbear Camus posted:

Playing these kinds of games to DOMINATE always felt a bit off to me.

Split a couple core sets then buy the dolls that represent space warriors you like.

To each their own. I do get a thrill from list optimization and going against someone equally putting their best foot forward.

That said it only works when both are working to that. If someone wants a casual game and brings an optimized list then that persons being a jerk so always communicate.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
There's all sorts of ways to play that are valid. Some folks do want to prove their mastery over the system of a game, and that's fine. Some want to tell or recreate the stories these games are based on, and that's cool, too. Some just want an excuse to have a few drinks and spend time with people they like.

Where it comes into conflict, IMO, is when groups of people with different expectations on that gather. so long as you're having fun, I'm good with what you want to do.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I tend to lean more towards mechanics and competitiveness with tabletop stuff I play and have found myself in the company of some of the more super serious individuals and groups for Legion and overall I think it's a pretty friendly and at worst inoffensive community even at that level. Moreover I feel like they did a pretty good job with the newest rules reference. Previously there were absolutely boxes of stuff I would say are your stereotypical wargame "trap" options, but now that's not really the case. The gotcha moments from a mechanical perspective now come from a couple of fundamental elements of list building, which I view as being overloading units with upgrade cards and not understanding the value of activation count. Even what people would consider a sub-tier 1 list is most likely fairly viable if it has 9+ activations and nothing super weird about it.

Honestly if we want to talk about the hopeful side of how the game progresses, I think I would really like to see some sort of mechanism to mitigate low activation count. Similar to an initiative bid, which was also a huge component of X-Wing, I don't feel like that angle of trying to balance activation count/initiative versus power level of a given unit is a meaningful or fun component of the strategy in list building. I would love to feel like I'm not doing something wrong by building a list that's below 10 activations (clones kinda excluded) because that really would blow higher level list building way wider open.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Armada just introduced a pass token system- at start of game get X passes where X is difference in activations (one less if you're first player) and you can permanently burn one to pass an activation with restrictions (not the very first activation of a turn, not consecutively, not if you have more/same inactivated units as last/first player). It's still very new and lists tend to be much smaller in activations (usually 3-6) so who knows how it'll work out or how it would fit into Legion

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

In general I'm a fan of pass activations in other systems, they do a nice job of giving elite lists more flexibility early game and limit a hordes innate ability to leave key activations until the end until they see which way you are moving.

Once you get into the mid game though typically you don't want to be left standing around taking hits before activating so it becomes less relevant. But I guess by then the elite force should have removed some enemy activations if they are hoping to win...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I think the Armada pass system would be great in Legion, and I think there'll even be a decent clamor for it once Field Commander AAT 13 activation droids start rolling face.

I think the weakest part of Legion's ruleset is the Battle deck system and the fact that Blue gets to use their entire battle deck. On release, it essentially wasn't an issue because you were essentially getting a single veto from each of the three categories. Even after Priority Supplies, you were still guaranteed some overlap between each players deck.

As more get released, decks will be more specialised, with skewier lists and increased pressure on bigger, all-or-nothing bids. If you want to build to close to 800, you're essentially not even engaging in that part of list-building.