Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I wanna laser off my pubes. How’s it been for goons?

A friend of mine did laser hair removal for beard and 'stache. Based on their reports I'd advise against doing that for pubes in the strongest possible terms, unless you like searing pain in your erogenous zones. And enough of it to probably re-wire your pleasure/pain response permanently.

Just wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
hi goons, my partner is a squirter and we recently discovered that our mattress protector isn't doing its job anymore. does anyone have suggestions for a protector that is completely waterproof but not super plastic-y and that doesn't get too hot?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

strap on revenge posted:

hi goons, my partner is a squirter and we recently discovered that our mattress protector isn't doing its job anymore. does anyone have suggestions for a protector that is completely waterproof but not super plastic-y and that doesn't get too hot?

We have a Mambe waterproof blanket that we like. It's machine washable.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
this is more of a biology question than a sex question, but just in case anyone here knows: why is there so much variation in labia minora size? does the size have any physiological function? is there pleiotropy involved?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Its Chocolate posted:

this is more of a biology question than a sex question, but just in case anyone here knows: why is there so much variation in labia minora size? does the size have any physiological function? is there pleiotropy involved?

Pleiotropy is definitely involved, but not in the way that you might think. There is a whole cohort of genes that control developmental processes like tissue elongation (probably not the best term, but I’m phoneposting), apoptosis, body segmentation, genes that upregulate/downregulate or induce/depress the expression of said genes both at the body-wide scale and locally, and so forth. And there are also genes that affect things like skin elasticity that would also factor into how somebody might look when fully-developed.

There isn’t like a gene or group of genes that determines “labia size” specifically, but the sum total of interactions of these developmental/body patterning genes and an individual’s environment and material conditions over the course of their development and life (along with differences in how their genes actually get expressed), combine to create an observable phenotype.

Consider a pair of identical twins: although they might start out with identical genetic blueprints, the conditions of their lives will naturally produce two individuals who may wind up looking very different as adults. The natural variations and conditionals that govern how genes get expressed and what their outcomes are will dictate the final product of their genes in action. Epigenetics, resource/nutrient intake, health, injuries, etc will have as much of an effect on phenotype as genotype will.

And there probably isn’t much selective pressure governing the relative uniformity of labia beyond “act as a barrier between the vagina and the outside world” and “don’t prevent this individual from successfully breeding” so there’s a lot of wiggle room there for phenotype variability to arise. Same way there probably isn’t a ton of selective pressure dictating the relative length of your cuticles or the webbing between your fingers vs those of your siblings beyond a certain obvious point.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
thanks for your answer, although I don't know if it's completely satisfactory

Ok Comboomer posted:

Pleiotropy is definitely involved, but not in the way that you might think. There is a whole cohort of genes that control developmental processes like tissue elongation (probably not the best term, but I’m phoneposting), apoptosis, body segmentation, genes that upregulate/downregulate or induce/depress the expression of said genes both at the body-wide scale and locally, and so forth. And there are also genes that affect things like skin elasticity that would also factor into how somebody might look when fully-developed.

There isn’t like a gene or group of genes that determines “labia size” specifically, but the sum total of interactions of these developmental/body patterning genes and an individual’s environment and material conditions over the course of their development and life (along with differences in how their genes actually get expressed), combine to create an observable phenotype.

Consider a pair of identical twins: although they might start out with identical genetic blueprints, the conditions of their lives will naturally produce two individuals who may wind up looking very different as adults. The natural variations and conditionals that govern how genes get expressed and what their outcomes are will dictate the final product of their genes in action. Epigenetics, resource/nutrient intake, health, injuries, etc will have as much of an effect on phenotype as genotype will.

it's true to say that epigenetics and life history will have as much effect on traits in general as the genotype, but you can't guarantee that will be true for any specific trait. there are plenty that are exclusively or nearly-exclusively determined by genes. by this same token there's no guarantee that there isn't a particular group of genes that determines or largely influences labia minora size

Ok Comboomer posted:

And there probably isn’t much selective pressure governing the relative uniformity of labia beyond “act as a barrier between the vagina and the outside world” and “don’t prevent this individual from successfully breeding” so there’s a lot of wiggle room there for phenotype variability to arise. Same way there probably isn’t a ton of selective pressure dictating the relative length of your cuticles or the webbing between your fingers vs those of your siblings beyond a certain obvious point.

this is what I'm the most curious about, as I hinted in my original post. I can't think of any pressure there could be on labia size but the variation is so stark and on such an important part of the body I wondered if there was something that isn't intuitive

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Its Chocolate posted:

it's true to say that epigenetics and life history will have as much effect on traits in general as the genotype, but you can't guarantee that will be true for any specific trait. there are plenty that are exclusively or nearly-exclusively determined by genes. by this same token there's no guarantee that there isn't a particular group of genes that determines or largely influences labia minora size

this is what I'm the most curious about, as I hinted in my original post. I can't think of any pressure there could be on labia size but the variation is so stark and on such an important part of the body I wondered if there was something that isn't intuitive

you should ask your question here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368821&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=148

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Its Chocolate posted:

If there is a genetic association, it's almost certainly a complex trait, meaning it would need a very large study cohort to find it.

Digging around in some databases, the only associations I could find were based on congenital disorders where a whole lot of things went wrong. Often the driver gene is a regulator that's present and active in most cells in the body, like ESCO2 or KAT6B, such that disruption of the gene disrupts pretty much everything.

http://amp.pharm.mssm.edu/Harmonizome/gene_set/enlarged+labia+minora/HPO+Gene-Disease+Associations
https://hpo.jax.org/app/browse/term/HP:0008683

Anyway, the easy way to get an answer to your question would be to raise a few million dollars and use that to give out research grants to scientists to work on the problem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If there’s so much phenotype variation “on such an important part of the body”, as you say, how does that provide “unintuitive” evidence that there’s strong selective pressure for that variability?

That’s like a fundamental misunderstanding of how selection works.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Any advice for getting the smell of pussy off of my face? A good scrub in the shower didn't do it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hydrolith posted:

Any advice for getting the smell of pussy off of my face? A good scrub in the shower didn't do it.

Soap?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Hydrolith posted:

Turn the water on

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Hydrolith posted:

Did you try scrubbing with something other than the pussy?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Any advice on avoiding UTIs? She does the peeing after sex thing, but she’s had 4 in the last couple months. We gently caress like rabbits, and we’d like to keep doing so.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CommunityEdition posted:

Any advice on avoiding UTIs? She does the peeing after sex thing, but she’s had 4 in the last couple months. We gently caress like rabbits, and we’d like to keep doing so.

Cranberry juice is supposed to help.

Edit: oral, not topical

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe also try probiotics? It sounds like the evidence isn't bulletproof yet, but there are strong suggestions they can help.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16827601

Obviously also wash your hands before touching her genitals. Same for any object after it has touched a butthole.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Cranberry juice is supposed to help.

Edit: oral, not topical

Only the extremely bitter tasting, purely cranberry juice though. It is not very palatable. You’re much better off just getting cranberry extract pills. AZO also makes a number of OTC urinary health medicines that can help.

Are you using condoms, lube or birth control of a type that involves any liquids or physical contact with the vulva or inside the vaginal canal? Those can throw off the balance. You’ll likely need to eliminate them. If they’re recurring, she needs to go the gyno and get checked out to make sure it’s not one long continuous, ongoing infection. They can prescribe antibiotics to help. If it continues you can buy a pack of the pee strips to test regularly at home. You really don’t want ongoing infections or for it to move up the ureter towards the bladder.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
UTIs are also more common if you’re tired and stressed. Mrs Dirt got them a lot when she was a pharmacy resident and working 60+ hour weeks regularly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Also, hydrate.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shower first shower after.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Don’t use coconut oil or coconut butter or coconut purée or anything made out of food as lube

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Don’t use coconut oil or coconut butter or coconut purée or anything made out of food as lube

I dunno -- in general coconut oil makes pretty good lube (including for administering cannabis), but for sure it'd be a good thing to try to cut out if there are recurrent UTI issues.

But yeah, I wouldn't use coconut butter or puree or whatever. Also coconut oil is definitely not compatible with condoms.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Coconut oil is the best lube :shlick:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the combined smell and taste of coconut oil with well-churned sex bits/fluids makes me physically ill, but yeah specifically I was calling out the possible UTI relationship.

I’m not saying it’s a thing that happens to everybody but it’s something I’d consider testing if one partner is getting a lot of UTIs.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Sex Questions Megathread III: well-churned sex bits/fluids

:hai:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

To paraphrase a noted pervert, use lubes that taste good.

For health and not-disintigrating-condoms reasons, which tasty lube-like things are actually okay ?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

the combined smell and taste of coconut oil with well-churned sex bits/fluids makes me physically ill, but yeah specifically I was calling out the possible UTI relationship.

I’m not saying it’s a thing that happens to everybody but it’s something I’d consider testing if one partner is getting a lot of UTIs.

You can get the refined coconut oil that has no taste/smell. It's used as a butter substitute in vegan baking and as a general-purpose cooking oil.

mllaneza posted:

For health and not-disintigrating-condoms reasons, which tasty lube-like things are actually okay ?

A lot of the (most?) water-based lubes contain glycerine, which tastes sweet. You can get flavoured lube, but in my experience it's got some pretty nasty-tasting artificial flavourants.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You can get the refined coconut oil that has no taste/smell. It's used as a butter substitute in vegan baking and as a general-purpose cooking oil.

Even that stuff could put me off, but admittedly I had other compatibility/attraction issues with that particular partner and I super duper wasn't over a previous ex at the time so maybe absent that context things would be different? It was over a year ago at this point so who knows, I ain't dating that person again.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Maybe also try probiotics? It sounds like the evidence isn't bulletproof yet, but there are strong suggestions they can help.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16827601

Obviously also wash your hands before touching her genitals. Same for any object after it has touched a butthole.

Thanks! She has problems pooping too, so two birds one stone!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Lubes that taste good almost always have glycerine or sugars present which are really bad for both vaginas and buttholes and less so urethras. Do not recommend.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, whatever you do, do not use Neosporin as lube.

(Nor grenades as buttplugs. But I feel like this thread knows by now to always use something with a flared base...)

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 14, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's not far off using Dave's Insanity Sauce.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just rereading the last several pages of this thread from like a year+ ago :allears:

oh man

I wonder whatever happened to dick sock dude. I hope he and his kimono-besheathed dong found peace

it's a very Tycho Brahe move, if you think about it. Very gold and silver nose.

"Tailor! Tailor! I must commission thee a foreskin-- made from the finest Oriental silks you have! Post haste, and spare no expense, for next week is Date Night!"

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

mllaneza posted:

Sliquid has a lightly-flavored line free of sugar, glycerin, or other things that might mess with delicate parts.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CommunityEdition posted:

Thanks! She has problems pooping too, so two birds one stone!

Constipation can gently caress up your urethra if you are an XX-chromosomed person with the OEM plumbing. Having frequent UTIs when you have constipation is a thing.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

Constipation can gently caress up your urethra if you are an XX-chromosomed person with the OEM plumbing. Having frequent UTIs when you have constipation is a thing.

Wait what? This is alarming.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

OEM plumbing.

I'm stealing this

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
What sex toy shops are legit these days? I'm looking to guarantee that what is sold as silicone is truly silicone, so I figure I need to determine the most reputable shops and go from there.

For example, how reputable is EdenFantasys? Reading their product descriptions and guides reveals many spelling and grammar errors and get an impression that they don't have an attention to detail, which makes me trust their material claims much less.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I can't speak for that store in particular but your best bet for most toy stores is to look up individual product reviews (offsite, there's a lot of sex toy bloggers out there that do thorough research) or source from the toy manufacturer itself. If you're really hesitant I'd suggest sticking with luxury brand name stuff (Lelo, We Vibe etc)

For the most part if something is cheap and says it's made from silicone, it very likely is, it might just be a lower grade of silicone (a la budget friendly CalExotics stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tantus is a reputable manufacturer and sells directly from their site.