Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I JUST found out they released a Christmas song last year: Shore Leave singing Last Christmas

https://www.patreon.com/posts/32264908

Finally a new one to add to the playlist :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

THE FINAL SOLUTION IN TAILORING!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched 'My Best Fiend' the other day, and I wonder if Klaus Kimski was used as inspiration for Herr Trigger's design.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well ah, it is confirmed in the book.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They already did Klaus Nomi, so go off, I suppose.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lol I forgot about the gun pervert

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well ah, it is confirmed in the book.

So it is! This right here is why I love this show. I'll be spending the rest of my life discovering new things and going "wait, wasn't this a venture brothers thing" and finding out it sure was.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

The World Inferno posted:

So it is! This right here is why I love this show. I'll be spending the rest of my life discovering new things and going "wait, wasn't this a venture brothers thing" and finding out it sure was.

In a similar vein- it was only recently that I learned that the Monarch's rant about Captain Sunshine literally throwing him in jail was a reference to a scene from the original Superman movie, which I randomly stumbled upon whilst channel surfing and immediately started cracking up. Like most of their references it was already a good joke on its own, but that extra layer of detail is what really elevates a lot of their stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

I want to say more about Trigger but instead, buy the book! no spoilers.

Almost halfway through Season 6, I forgot Billy sucker punching White over the god gas video.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pablo gbscobar posted:

In a similar vein- it was only recently that I learned that the Monarch's rant about Captain Sunshine literally throwing him in jail was a reference to a scene from the original Superman movie, which I randomly stumbled upon whilst channel surfing and immediately started cracking up. Like most of their references it was already a good joke on its own, but that extra layer of detail is what really elevates a lot of their stuff.

Apparently he's never heard of due process.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Apparently he's never heard of due process.

But he's a reporter how could he not?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pixaal posted:

But he's a reporter how could he not?

Reporter ≠ journalist

An anchorman is basically just a talking head who can read a teleprompter, they don't have to know jack poo poo

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

Reporter ≠ journalist

An anchorman is basically just a talking head who can read a teleprompter, they don't have to know jack poo poo

Yes. This.

In my introductory poli-sci class in college, one requirement was to watch Broadcast News by a certain point in the semester. It drove the local movie rental places nuts, but it was worth it. Then we read a lot of stuff about the media in general, and we learned words like "infotational fluff," but that movie is practically a documentary.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tarlibone posted:

Yes. This.

In my introductory poli-sci class in college, one requirement was to watch Broadcast News by a certain point in the semester. It drove the local movie rental places nuts, but it was worth it. Then we read a lot of stuff about the media in general, and we learned words like "infotational fluff," but that movie is practically a documentary.

Or this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP81DPBHFEA&t=58s

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Lobe posted:

poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we're gonna be on the news!

(that line gets me every time)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loosely remember... Frontline I think, an Australian comedy about a broadcast news show where the anchorman is a likeable doof who happens to present as a well-spoken professional, I think his introductory moment is cutting from a broadcast revealing he forgot to wear his pants.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A surprising number of people don't wear pants on TV. Rarely is it a "forgot."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
theres another really good comedy about an anchorman but i cant remember what the name of the movie is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

theres another really good comedy about an anchorman but i cant remember what the name of the movie is.

It's Bruce Almighty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I loosely remember... Frontline I think, an Australian comedy about a broadcast news show where the anchorman is a likeable doof who happens to present as a well-spoken professional, I think his introductory moment is cutting from a broadcast revealing he forgot to wear his pants.

Naked!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

Weren’t there two movies about it? Oh I got it: Legally Blonde!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rewatching Unicorn In Captivity, Rusty in a fleece jacket pretending he's wearing a suit insulting a dude decked out like a 18th century servant never gets old.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Perchance to Dean is a great episode if only for the line, "He's in a Floyd hole!"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

no air drumming this time or you'll snap your wrists.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

Perchance to Dean is a great episode if only for the line, "He's in a Floyd hole!"

Don’t forget the Roger Dean/Heavy Metal inspired montage with what I was very surprised to find out wasn’t actually a Yes song.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

LITTLE CORN NIBLETS

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

LITTLE CORN NIBLETS

Maize

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
TRY NOT TO DIE!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SeanBeansShako posted:

Rusty in a fleece jacket pretending he's wearing a suit

Slowsuit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still say so much about Rusty makes sense considering his social skills (and general life skills) are adapted purely for navigating the insane world of costumed aggression, and absolutely miserable everywhere else. And it doesn't seem uncommon with people in that career, like how Hatred has to warn him off for falling for internet scams that he apparently lost large amounts of his money on.

Probably also with how even Hank realises it's incredibly easy to fool Rusty since he's both self-obsessed and has seen so much insane poo poo he doesn't really have a baseline for reality anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say so much about Rusty makes sense considering his social skills (and general life skills) are adapted purely for navigating the insane world of costumed aggression, and absolutely miserable everywhere else. And it doesn't seem uncommon with people in that career, like how Hatred has to warn him off for falling for internet scams that he apparently lost large amounts of his money on.

Probably also with how even Hank realises it's incredibly easy to fool Rusty since he's both self-obsessed and has seen so much insane poo poo he doesn't really have a baseline for reality anymore.

Yeah, rusty falls for scams left and right but is able to do a bunch of costumed aggression rules lawyering off the top of his head while being threatened with candiru or used as a puppet.

I think it’s interesting that the supervillains are often the well-adjusted ones on this show. The heroes are all monomaniacal lunatics/addicts/sociopaths most of the time, but the villains are often in fulfilling relationships outside of their whole “menace a protagonist” mode.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
In a similar vein, I'm surprised that out of everything the Monarch's done to Rusty over the years he never seems to rag on him for being a creepy incel loser with a crush on his wife.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So finally finished Season 7 again last night and am a little sad that they set up some interesting stuff that seems to be in limbo.

I do hope HBO will pull the trigger and adopt the show as a responce to the Disney Plus Marvel and Star Wars content tsunami they will be unleashing.

Also done with the book and it was great.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pablo gbscobar posted:

In a similar vein, I'm surprised that out of everything the Monarch's done to Rusty over the years he never seems to rag on him for being a creepy incel loser with a crush on his wife.

I feel like the monarch expects everyone on earth to have a crush on his wife

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

World War Mammories posted:

I feel like the monarch expects everyone on earth to have a crush on his wife

Also they're repeatedly mentioned to be active swingers, apparently the biggest in the Guild.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just finished the art book. I'm hoping they get something done with HBO Max so they can do another one for season 7 and beyond.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 13, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

8one6 posted:

Just finished the art book. I'm hoping they get something done with HBO Max so they can do another one for season 7 and beyond.

Very much same.

Dr Z trying his best to be subtle about ordering Gary and Monarch to assassinate.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dr Z trying his best to be subtle about ordering Gary and Monarch to assassinate.

More like Dr. Z's imaginary shopping trip with Sheila and S-464.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

More like Dr. Z's imaginary shopping trip with Sheila and S-464.

Both are great moments. That and weirdly sweet final arch.