Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Mush Mushi posted:

My entire new hire group was encouraged to write a self review, which was promptly ignored before we all received 3s across the board with the same copy/pasted comments. We all had significant outside experience and accomplished a lot despite having basically no support. I just assumed that reminding new hires they can go gently caress themselves at the end of probation was a customary part of the hiring process. Glad I only had to work for that guy for one year though.

My first directorate nobody got 5's their first year, and then the next year everyone gets like a full point better. I assume it looks better for management to show how great at managing they are.

Can't complain though, got a qsi my second and third year. Although that is the least impactful time to get them when you're still on the ladder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
When I was a supervisor I gave all of my employees 5's on all categories because they were all terribly underpaid, one was even homeless at the time. My boss pushed back slightly, but ultimately approved them all. I'm now a non supervisory GS-13 so dreams do come true.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So what does everything think the over/under on a shutdown is?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

App13 posted:

It's passed.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's passed.

Now we wait exactly one week to have the same issues on the afternoon of December 18th.

What a delightful way to fund a government.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

App13 posted:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Discendo Vox posted:

It's passed.

It's passed, but will it get signed? Under anyone else it'd be a formality, but...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think I told this story in this thread before, but one of my old supervisors believed and was even willing to argue at an all-hands meeting that it was not only impossible but actually illogical for anyone in our office to earn a 5 for customer service, because part of the general employees' job series' duties was skill with interviews, and we did not conduct interviews at our office.

I had a supe who claimed this. Word is they had to have RFEs explained at length.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

App13 posted:

Seeing as how I built a research buoy out of literal garbage and got a 4 in “equipment maintenance” I’m hoping my center is more toward the “3.3 is good” side of things

Oh man do I feel your pain. I found out they basically decide who gets how many 5's, and apparently I rated 2 5's that period. So they gave me a 3 in job knowledge.

Job Knowledge. I designed half their training material. I rewrote most of the office processes for SRs to be policy compliant. Hell, I designed all the office handouts and signage. And I got a 3.

I went apeshit. Emailed them to take me off all extra duties, considering I was only doing an adequate job at them and someone else could do them better..

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

In my first position everyone got a 3.0 the first year, 3.4 the second year, and then an actual review the 3rd year. Very dumb.

My 2nd position every single person had a 4.3.

I’m sitting on a full 5s now, which is appropriate seeing how I basically keep my group running. I’d love to see a QSI, but those see to be a pipe dream. Hopefully I can manage grabbing my 14 soon.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

I went apeshit. Emailed them to take me off all extra duties, considering I was only doing an adequate job at them and someone else could do them better..

how did it work out? Did they remove duties or attempt to improve your rating?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Thesaurus posted:

how did it work out? Did they remove duties or attempt to improve your rating?

They gave me the 5. I've gotten three 5s ever since; I figure one of these days I'll pick the fight over the fourth one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

saintonan posted:

It's passed, but will it get signed? Under anyone else it'd be a formality, but...

Vetoproof majority iirc.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Discendo Vox posted:

Vetoproof majority iirc.

Sure, but that implies Mitch will bring up a vote to publicly override daddy Trump. At any rate, it was signed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, we'll have another chance to worry about it on Friday!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

At least we get Christmas Eve off! (if you're not one of the unlucky offices that this doesn't apply to)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Deeters posted:

At least we get Christmas Eve off! (if you're not one of the unlucky offices that this doesn't apply to)

I'm legitimately surprised this happened this year.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm legitimately surprised this happened this year.

Apparently performative Christianity wins over the natural desire to screw over federal employees again

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Deeters posted:

It's me, I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
maybe Biden will make an EO for this again and the US can finally catch up to the rest of the world in the number of public Federal Holidays (except maybe UK who have less than the US)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

maybe Biden will make an EO for this again and the US can finally catch up to the rest of the world in the number of public Federal Holidays (except maybe UK who have less than the US)

I'd rather make election day a holiday than Christmas Eve

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Easy there, comrade.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

With sufficient enough early voting across the country, it shouldn't matter, but also agree. Alternatively/additionally, move election day to Friday.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Easy there, comrade.

lol, wait till you hear my plan for replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

lol, wait till you hear my plan for replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day

As long as the kids still have to go to school and I get it off.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

sullat posted:

As long as the kids still have to go to school and I get it off.

I mean, it's a federal holiday. It's not as though the topic affects what you do on the day.

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...
This is crazy talk, but we could also have a requirement for minimum annual leave like most of the rest of the world.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

They should’ve put us in the 1-5 category, everyone gets at least one of these bad boys 🖕🏻( :fuckoff: ), some even get two!

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Betazoid posted:

Got an interview at DOL!! If any Labor goons see this, I would love to talk to you; PM me. I'm interviewing in the Office of Audit on Wednesday 12/9.

Quoting myself to say I'm interviewing at Federal Railroad Administration tomorrow!

DOL interview went fantastic IMO. I should hear by tomorrow if I'm going to round 2.

Looks like I finally got the right approach for federal resumes and cover letters. I have been applying on USAJobs since 2010, with my busiest periods in 2016, 2019, and 2020.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Betazoid posted:

Quoting myself to say I'm interviewing at Federal Railroad Administration tomorrow!

DOL interview went fantastic IMO. I should hear by tomorrow if I'm going to round 2.

Looks like I finally got the right approach for federal resumes and cover letters. I have been applying on USAJobs since 2010, with my busiest periods in 2016, 2019, and 2020.

Was about to follow-up. Which sub-agency within DOL did you interview with?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Was about to follow-up. Which sub-agency within DOL did you interview with?

Office of Audit. My three interviewers were all super nice. They also allowed me to back up and clarify things as needed, which I have heard is unusual.

Example Q: "Tell us about your proficiency level with X tool and how you've applied it in Y way."
Example A: "I have applied X to do Y on projects A and B."
(Pause as they write down notes)
"My profiency level is advanced, as I use it to (advanced examples)."

When I did a video interview at USPS, it was all just timed responses and you couldn't go back and clarify. I did horribly there. It was much better in front of real people so we could get a back-and-forth going.

Edit to the below: yes! DOL OIG. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but gahhh I want that job.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 14, 2020

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Betazoid posted:

Office of Audit.

Ahh, so DOL OIG?

I've worked...with them, a few times.

Best of luck!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
How big of a deal is going from 6 to 8 hrs of leave earned per pay period?

Is 8 hrs that Gucci and worth sticking around for?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Howard Phillips posted:

It's 33% more! That's almost 35%!

it's an extra 52 hours a year, value that how you will. Doing something you don't like for 45ish weeks a year doesn't sound like a good idea

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

It’s okay but the big enticement to stick around is the pension at the end. If you don’t think you’re going to go for that none of the other fedgov benefits come close.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The new PSE and the two city carrier assistants that help me sort packages for delivery in the wee hours of the morning don't listen to me at all and it's really starting to piss me off. My lead clerk's also getting ignored by the new PSE too. There's a lot of reasons to hate my kead clerk because she's awful, but she is in charge and I'm able to direct these people on how to do parcel sorting.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 14, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This must be a fun time to actually be getting federal work e-mail

Oh no I miss my federal job, noooooooooo why did I have to quit over a lack of Telework right before Telework World Order started

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Irascible irony?
Humongous hubris?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This must be a fun time to actually be getting federal work e-mail

Oh no I miss my federal job, noooooooooo why did I have to quit over a lack of Telework right before Telework World Order started

I sent what amounted to an “I’m teleworking now. Fire me if you have to,” email to management right before that order went out. Guess I lucked out.

Also the extra 52 hours do seem like a lot, but I don’t really mind what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Taking my moonshot to be NPS Archaeologist at Denali national park. A boy can dream!