Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

wooger posted:

How are you watching this from the UK?
Reddit's panelshow subreddit always has a Google drive link. Ditto for the Scandinavian TMs.

The first couple of episodes were it finding its feet but since then it's got better and better. I'd say it's undisputable better than the current OG TM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have only seen one season of UK Taskmaster, but I like the danish version better.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Reddit's panelshow subreddit always has a Google drive link. Ditto for the Scandinavian TMs.

The first couple of episodes were it finding its feet but since then it's got better and better. I'd say it's undisputable better than the current OG TM.

Greg might agree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9peHEKPu-Lw

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It was a few years ago, but I used to work for the company that ran the BBC competition lines.

Every morning, it was one persons role to go through the list of people that had entered and pick out 10 people at random, this would then be provided to the BBC to select one from that list. It would have been no difficulty at all to provide a list of entirely friends and family for the BBC to select from.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tsietisin posted:

Every morning, it was one persons role to go through the list of people that had entered and pick out 10 people at random, this would then be provided to the BBC to select one from that list. It would have been no difficulty at all to provide a list of entirely friends and family for the BBC to select from.

I now want to see a really poo poo version of the McMillions documentary about this happening.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh god, Johnny. He got so invested in that beermat house, and got nothing for it. Catherine, Daisy and Richard didn't deserve squat, but still got points and Johnny got nothing. I think this is the first time the points have been so cruel it wasn't even funny, because Johnny just looked heartbroken afterwards. I think the task was just a bit too much all around really, and the bell ringing could have been ejected in favour of doing something like shouting every minute and been more entertaining really. It made it so stressful that it stopped everyone bar Mawaan from actually being entertaining. I don't even remember most of the tasks this season offhand, but it feels like that's been a recurring problem. Making the tasks so complex they end up stressing people out and removing most of the entertainment value by just leaving a lot of people focused purely on the task and unable to be funny or silly.

In fact, he got screwed twice in the same episode; poor sod.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 11, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aww, Barbara Windsor has died. :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Awww...my dad loved the Carry On Films, so some of my first memories are watching them. Carry on Camping, Carry On Abroad, Carry On Matron, Carry On Up The Khyber etc. One of my fondest early memories is staying up late with my eldest sister when my parents were out and both of us watching Carry On Sergeant. Which I'm not even sure Babs was in, offhand. I know Eastenders is probably what's she most famous for these days, but the Carry On stuff is basically all I've ever seen her in. I was planning on re-watching one or two of them someday, just to see how bad they actually are in retrospect, so maybe I'll do that in the next day or two.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For the ball counting tasks, I thought for sure they would have hidden like, a yoga ball in the middle. Going the other way and making everything increasingly small made it seem like an anxiety dream.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

tsob posted:

Oh god, Johnny. He got so invested in that beermat house, and got nothing for it. Catherine, Daisy and Richard didn't deserve squat, but still got points and Johnny got nothing. I think this is the first time the points have been so cruel it wasn't even funny, because Johnny just looked heartbroken afterwards. I think the task was just a bit too much all around really, and the bell ringing could have been ejected in favour of doing something like shouting every minute and been more entertaining really. It made it so stressful that it stopped everyone bar Mawaan from actually being entertaining. I don't even remember most of the tasks this season offhand, but it feels like that's been a recurring problem. Making the tasks so complex they end up stressing people out and removing most of the entertainment value by just leaving a lot of people focused purely on the task and unable to be funny or silly.

In fact, he got screwed twice in the same episode; poor sod.

Agreed on the stress level of the tasks this season, it seems like most have a very short time limit, not giving them much time to breathe or innovate.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mr. Squishy posted:

For the ball counting tasks, I thought for sure they would have hidden like, a yoga ball in the middle. Going the other way and making everything increasingly small made it seem like an anxiety dream.

On the very first task for the show, right after blaring an airhorn at them right as they enter the creepy room everyone refers to as the abatoir.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I listened to the latest Taskmaster podcast episode after that, and Ed Gamble (the host) defended the decision to not award Johnny any points by saying people come down on Greg if he's not impartial when judging and it's just left me a little confused, because I thought his schtick as the Taskmaster was being mercurial and just doing whatever he wants when scoring. Which I find far more fun than him sticking rigidly to a defined rule. As to the tasks, even in the same episode, the very next task with everyone having to complete 5 mini tasks, each with only a ten second window seemed annoying too, just because there were so many rules to keep track of i.e. you can't cross this line, you can only move when the door is moving, you have to pick a door and only have so much time to do it and so on. It didn't seem to bother the contestants too much, but as a viewer it felt too complicated for it's own good.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

I listened to the latest Taskmaster podcast episode after that, and Ed Gamble (the host) defended the decision to not award Johnny any points by saying people come down on Greg if he's not impartial when judging and it's just left me a little confused, because I thought his schtick as the Taskmaster was being mercurial and just doing whatever he wants when scoring. Which I find far more fun than him sticking rigidly to a defined rule. As to the tasks, even in the same episode, the very next task with everyone having to complete 5 mini tasks, each with only a ten second window seemed annoying too, just because there were so many rules to keep track of i.e. you can't cross this line, you can only move when the door is moving, you have to pick a door and only have so much time to do it and so on. It didn't seem to bother the contestants too much, but as a viewer it felt too complicated for it's own good.

I was hoping it would be you could do doors over, and then whoever took the shortest amount of time to complete all of them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

tsob posted:

Occasionally sticking to rules is also mercurial in a way. I really did't mind it. It generated discussion among show's audience, which is ultimately a good thing, even if most people thought Johnny got the short end of the stick there.

I agree that the latest set of tasks was way too hectic, though. There's a line between amusing exaggerated annoyance from contestants who still feel they can keep up with the task and utter confusion with the entire premise. The latter is less funny to watch.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone watched Tin Star: Liverpool? Only a couple of episodes in and enjoying it, definitely feels like a soft reboot, I didn’t even finish the second season but I don’t think there’s much continuity besides the family, it seems a lot more fun too, last I watched last season everyone was trying to kill each other.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Paladinus posted:

Occasionally sticking to rules is also mercurial in a way.

Sure. I don't mind him enforcing the rules every now and again, as his whim takes him. What I mind is the idea that Greg has to stick rigidly to the rules and enforce them at all times, or he'll get stick for it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This raises the question of what is the harshest judgement that the Taskmaster has ever given? The saddest will forever be Joe begging for his red green achievement to not be taken away, but that wasn't even a decision by the Taskmaster.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have to say that was another TM episode that failed to whelm me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have to say that was another TM episode that failed to whelm me.

It has it's moments, but very few.
Definitely contender for worst season, not due to the covid imposition, but that there's no chemistry between them all.
There's little joking, just reacting to Greg and trying to point out failures in others.

Mr. Squishy posted:

They should have made the balls swirl about so to make approximating harder, but no bullshit hidden smaller ones.
And the swirling could force one or two out, making them have to worry about the second part of that task.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

happyhippy posted:

Definitely contender for worst season, not due to the covid imposition, but that there's no chemistry between them all.

The chairs being so far apart and no audience has to be a factor in that though. We'll see how the next season is, given it's got the same setup.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I do think the tasks themselves have had the biggest impact. When the tasks have been right, it's produced some good segments; the watermelon task or the silent cocktails. But there's been too many like last weeks 'play' or the locker puzzle, that have just fallen flat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Will agree with that, some of the tasks this year haven't been great for sure. It must be hard thinking of original stuff constantly though. I know on one episode of Running Man (the excellent Korean gameshow that everyone should watch at least once) one task they set went disastrously wrong when both teams were able to beat it in seconds. They had to show footage of the production staff setting it up themselves and failing time after time after time during the design process. Can't win them all!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Personally I really like the cast, Richard and Daisy less than the others but still fine and I love the other three which is better than most of the other seasons. Majority of my issues are just with the tasks themselves. Boring opening tasks, too many tasks with extreme time pressure, not enough creative tasks, too many instant disqualification without any real input from the taskmaster, etc etc.

Watching the latest NZ Taskmaster episode the day before OG Taskmaster really brings that home for me, even with the NZ one having some tasks that are kinda repeats from regular Taskmaster it has still managed to have more fun tasks overall.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really liked this week and felt like the contestants were talking to each other way more than usual!

I think Greg's bit of "I've written down what I thought" always seems like he's done it or nobody will talk though, I dunno.

Richard and daisy are great because they go all in with every task and because daisy is so angry all the time. Johnny is pathetic but in a way that always makes me laugh - like he's gone so far down the pathetic tunnel that he's on the other side and everything washes over him.
Mawaan is a bit boring but has good weird things he says in tasks.

Katherine I really like but I also find her strange, like she immediately makes everything communal (always acting like the task is for her and Alex) and generally being...strange in a way nobody else is. I'm not even sure how to explain what I mean here, she's just baffled immediately always

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 12, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Taear posted:

(always acting like the task is for her and Alex)

This is my favorite recurring thing with Katherine. I was thrilled to see that it started with the first task. I don’t think it’s intentionally funny, which makes it even funnier.

Her entire character (or actual personality?) is not quite understanding this weird show, and over the season it’s actually grown on me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think my favorite task all season so far has been the balloon dropping one. It's one of the few times it's felt like they all had room to think of clever solutions, to the point where all of them succeeded against all odds (it's just that some succeeded more than others).

I agree the ridiculously short time limits and other random impositions have gotten a bit out of hand. The studio limitations are a problem but when the task has been good enough it hasn't been as noticeable. I think it may well be one of my favorite casts but the majority of the tasks are letting it down.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

This thread should probably be renamed as the Taskmaster thread at this point :D Seems like there's not a lot else going on with UK TV that's captured this threads imagination over the past few months.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think TM and The Great Pottery Throwndown have been about the only British broadcast television I've watched this year.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For first-run TV, I'm watching MasterChef, Only Connect, University Challenge, Taskmaster and that's it. I'm feeling guilty about not watching Broad Axe.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my mum is watching Strictly and Bill Bailey just danced a tango to Enter Sandman

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Who is back on New Year’s Day! Just the one off festive period one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

my mum is watching Strictly and Bill Bailey just danced a tango to Enter Sandman

He's a Mastodon fan - he should do Colony of Birchmen.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Doctor Who is back on New Year’s Day! Just the one off festive period one.
There was a time I might cared. Chibnall lost me in S11.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Julio Cruz posted:

I promised myself to watch Strictly if he makes the final, something I never thought I’d do. Might have to look this clip up too, drat you Bill!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3prb5rDcR44

e: his Charleston this week was great, he's been way better than I expected

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 13, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfect, thanks!

Do they do a phone vote or something? I see the show ended but nothing posted about who goes through, so I’m guessing it’s decided a few days later?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Perfect, thanks!

Do they do a phone vote or something? I see the show ended but nothing posted about who goes through, so I’m guessing it’s decided a few days later?

Yeah, the judge scores are given on Saturday, then there's a phone vote, and then the results are given (but not shown until the Sunday night). So we dunno who went through yet.

Susan Calman was on a couple of years ago and her dances were great to watch also. If you're ever wanting to be cheered up look up her dance to 'Bring Me Sunshine'.

e: gently caress it here it is, I have no shame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS3gNk0BvkA

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 13, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Akuma posted:

This thread should probably be renamed as the Taskmaster thread at this point :D Seems like there's not a lot else going on with UK TV that's captured this threads imagination over the past few months.

I'm honestly kind of surprised it doesn't have it's own thread, especially with all but one season of the show having gone up on YouTube over the last few months from an official source. It's one of the few UK shows I generally keep up with at this point, along with The Last Leg and I haven't even watched any of the latest season of that for various reasons.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The last leg is alright, but when Adam Hills gets on his big centrist soapbox it makes me want to never watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
:siren: EL BROMANCE: https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-election-2019-talkback-46413

Nerd poo poo

Edit: The entire first 5 minutes is off VT lol

thehustler fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 14, 2020