Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pleads posted:

At least once a page someone asks about buying a game on Steam that's included in Game Pass. It's truly heartbreaking.
I could see using Gamepass to "try before I buy" but I'd rather own my games.

Hwurmp posted:

Why on earth would PHOGS! stop recognizing my controller out of nowhere, when it worked just fine up until yesterday and the controller still works with everything else. Fuckin' computers
The general troubleshooting answer for this seems to be "check Steam Big Picture controller settings". BP seems to mess with controller settings a LOT and is seemingly responsible for like 90% of "my controller doesn't work/stopped working suddenly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've already got Big Picture Controller turned off, but disconnecting & reconnecting my controller after starting the game seems to have fixed it. :regd09:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Gromit posted:

Is it me!?

Wow man, I'm sorry I'm just getting back to this.

It IS you! PMing you the key right now.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

Not having a single gameplay screen is pretty bad after years and years of teasing the game. It's less clowning on Bioware and more that the game has been scrapped and completely restarted at least once and recently several major people involved on it left the company.

Yeah, seems like that game is stuck in Bioware's special version of development hell for at least another couple years. There's just not much reason to speculate on a game that's probably being rebooted for the third(?) time. The Dragon Age thread is pretty lively if one does want to discuss it though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rookersh posted:

^^^^ I played a bit of Cyberpunk and it's not a great game. It's going to get ravaged once the hype wears off. Invisible War is a better game then it, I say as a person who likes Invisible War, but not THAT much.

Dude. I’m all for hot takes but god drat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Rookersh posted:

^^^^ I played a bit of Cyberpunk and it's not a great game. It's going to get ravaged once the hype wears off. Invisible War is a better game then it, I say as a person who likes Invisible War, but not THAT much.

It's already starting. IGN of all people recently put out a video talking about Cyberpunk 2077 as the most hyped Early Release game ever and never should have come out for the last gen systems.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I liked Invisible War :saddowns:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I played Invisible War on an ageing Xbox and it was not a good experience. Which probably puts it in line with how Cyberpunk plays on the old gen consoles now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Goddamn the steam reviews for Medal of Honor VR are brutal. Mostly Negative with 300 reviews, apparently the game came out of the oven a good six months too early.

https://twitter.com/P7S8P9/status/1337682767459405825

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dude. I’m all for hot takes but god drat.

I really like Invisible War. Like I'm broke brain enough I'd place it above og Deus Ex.

Obviously Cyberpunk is better then that. But it's nowhere near where the hype was ( obviously), and there is going to be a massive turn on public opinion.

Much like a game I love!

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 12, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BexGu posted:

It's already starting. IGN of all people recently put out a video talking about Cyberpunk 2077 as the most hyped Early Release game ever and never should have come out for the last gen systems.

It was when I saw the CP2077 sub-reddit, the most sunk cost fallacy game community ever, has turned on the game that I knew the game was in truly bad shape. Approaching Anthem levels.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think the problem with Cyberpunks perk tree would be greatly lessened if you had a wad of points to spend all at once, as it is you punch in a point for a usually tiny upgrade, with the knowledge that you can get the perk you actually want in like three levels and who knows how long that'll take. So then a half hour later you've got another point to spend, but it's like well I was into guns but I kept running into doors I couldn't hack and my carry capacity is too low, so maybe I should go for that instead? Just completely losing whatever character concept you had for your more immediate concerns. But since the boost per point is mostly very small it doesn't really feel like I'm adapting to the game through my learned play experience, and more just picking weeds. When/if I'm able to re-spec I can tell it'll feel a lot better to do it all in one blow. Still a really good game though, I don't have any doubts that'll they'll iron this stuff out

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Relatively early into it, but so far Cyberpunk is fun, and doesn’t feel like it’s worse than Bethesda games for bugs at launch.

I’m assuming that by the inevitable master edition or whatever in 2022 it’ll be an all time classic like tw3.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yeah make no mistake Cyberpunk has a solid foundation and fantastic presentation. It's just kind of a mess on bugs, QoL things, UI, AI, and ancillary stuff. It's sad that the rpg system elements, including the skills and perks, feel like "ancillary stuff" but if the perks felt at all impactful then I might revise that opinion.

It is, however, a Quite Good Fallout Replacement rather than the over hyped image people had in their heads.

I actually like it a lot. Now if only there were a way to customize your appearance after chargen.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Oh yeah make no mistake Cyberpunk has a solid foundation and fantastic presentation. It's just kind of a mess on bugs, QoL things, UI, AI, and ancillary stuff. It's sad that the rpg system elements, including the skills and perks, feel like "ancillary stuff" but if the perks felt at all impactful then I might revise that opinion.

So basically, Witcher 3 at release?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xarbala posted:

Quite Good Fallout Replacement

I couldn't give a ratass about Cyberpunk until very recently when people started describing it like that. I'll keep an eye on it. New Vegas alone made me build a whole gaming rig back in the day just for it. This might make me to do the same thing next year, and it's not like we'll ever have a good Fallout game again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Saoshyant posted:

I couldn't give a ratass about Cyberpunk until very recently when people started describing it like that. I'll keep an eye on it. New Vegas alone made me build a whole gaming rig back in the day just for it. This might make me to do the same thing next year, and it's not like we'll ever have a good Fallout game again.

As someone who is currently in a New Vegas playthrough, Cyberpunk feels similar. Mainly in the variety of ways you can handle quests and how skill checks can wildly change the outcome of quests

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Dang, it's sounding like the best way to experience Cyberpunk is to wait for after NeonBlood And CyberWine has come out when it might actually live up to the hype.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Antigravitas posted:

It's okay. You get a tangible end goal, which is nice.

It did not solve the problem that Suviving Mars is a 100% STEMlord game. It's obvious the devs read the Mars trilogy and their only takeaway was "Wow, cool terraforming". You're basically playing Musk's wank fantasy.

Maybe i'll wait for it to be extra cheap then.

All VR games look like that to me, just noodley arms waving around where people can barely do stuff.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ripper Swarm posted:

Dang, it's sounding like the best way to experience Cyberpunk is to wait for after NeonBlood And CyberWine has come out when it might actually live up to the hype.

unironically a sick name for an expansion pack

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ripper Swarm posted:

Also make sure you got a Intel CPU since (apparently) Cyberpunk 2077 used an Intel C++ compiler which hinders optimizations if run on non-Intel CPUs. From Reddit:

quote:

The Intel C++ Compiler adds to generated binaries a CPUID test that looks if they are executed on a Intel CPU, so the binaries don't run with full optimizations on non-Intel CPUs.

Here's my results on a 5600X https://i.imgur.com/ZfJyR7A.png

Open the Cyberpunk.exe with HXD (Hex Editor).

Look for

75 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08

change to

74 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08

(Address 02A816B0)

Credit to UnhingedDoork https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...web2x&context=3

EDIT: If you're struggling, /u/qa3rfqwef made a visual tutorial https://streamable.com/jpx652

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/kbsywg/cyberpunk_2077_used_an_intel_c_compiler_which/

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i mean people were overhype for sure for cyberpunk, but when they were pitching it as the next gen open world experience, and then you end up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpZhYG_Oq8

its pretty embarassing.

im also still having fun but theres 0 reason it was an open world game. should have been a hub thing like deus ex

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

D1E posted:

Wow man, I'm sorry I'm just getting back to this.

It IS you! PMing you the key right now.

Yep, got it - thanks a bunch! And no worries about the delay.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BexGu posted:

Also make sure you got a Intel CPU since (apparently) Cyberpunk 2077 used an Intel C++ compiler which hinders optimizations if run on non-Intel CPUs.

Jesus Christ

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BexGu posted:

Also make sure you got a Intel CPU since (apparently) Cyberpunk 2077 used an Intel C++ compiler which hinders optimizations if run on non-Intel CPUs. From Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/kbsywg/cyberpunk_2077_used_an_intel_c_compiler_which/
This is especially hilarious since the Ryzen CPU's are hilariously popular for all but the most top end CPU's.

Also the people now going into defend mode (oh but it's a NEXT GEN title blabla). When this was announced we all expected it to come out the next generation at the time; which they barely missed out on. If this had released in april like intended it there was no next gem to shift blame to.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 12, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BexGu posted:

No effin' way

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
From what I've seen of Cyberpunk it looks like it's a lot of mediocre gameplay with a pretty but ultimately inert (in terms of dynamic systems) open word. Just like Witcher 3 only without the main characters, side characters, world building and writing that made Witcher 3 overcome all of its shortcomings and end up being great. Maybe they've just been good because they had those books to lean on.

On the plus side, the rest of the Yakuza series has been announced for PC next year (3-5 in January, 6 in March).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GhostDog posted:

From what I've seen of Cyberpunk it looks like it's a lot of mediocre gameplay with a pretty but ultimately inert (in terms of dynamic systems) open word. Just like Witcher 3 only without the main characters, side characters, world building and writing that made Witcher 3 overcome all of its shortcomings and end up being great. Maybe they've just been good because they had those books to lean on.

The main quest and character-specific missions in CP2077 are actually very good and well-written. It's just the only area of the game that shows any confidence whatsoever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GhostDog posted:

On the plus side, the rest of the Yakuza series has been announced for PC next year (3-5 in January, 6 in March).

The real "Walk around neon Fake Tokyo while stupid poo poo happens" simulators we need.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

exquisite tea posted:

The main quest and character-specific missions in CP2077 are actually very good and well-written. It's just the only area of the game that shows any confidence whatsoever.

What I've seen fell pretty flat for me but then again that was only snippets. Still, unlike W3 Cyberpunk seems like a far cry from a must play. Maybe the Enhanced Edition in a year or two.

For now I'm gonna use the time that has been free'd up for other games. Like Disco Elysium which I've been procrastinating on forever now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lt. Lizard posted:

So basically, Witcher 3 at release?

It feels extremely similar to Witcher 3, even in the ways that it's bad. The inventory is a nightmare to deal with, although they do let you sell all your "junk" pretty easily, which is nice.

I haven't had any problems with the combat though. Pretty much just putting points into reflex and body, and buying perks in blades. Just walk up and use strong attack and most enemies die in one hit. Even in the main story mission where they take your weapons away, I just used the mantis blades upgrade to tear all the guards and even the big mech apart in a few seconds. There's also a perk in the blades tree that increases your armor as long as you're moving, and you can get heals from hitting bleeding enemies and from kills, so as long as you just keep running around hitting people, you can't die.

It honestly feels like breaking the combat system, similar to going heavy into signs and getting all the best quen and yrden upgrades in Witcher 3. Any combat encounter is a complete joke, I never bother with stealth. The fixers are always calling me up after gigs and yelling about how I was supposed to be quiet or whatever, but I still get paid.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BexGu posted:

Upon further investigation it seems more likely to be AMDs fault, the problem is that Cyberpunk ignores hyperthreading on AMD CPUs except Bulldozer ones, and AMD provides a library with exactly that logic

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/cpu-core-counts/blob/master/windows/ThreadCount-Win7.cpp#L69

CDPR copy pasted some AMD code that AMD forgot to update after Ryzen came out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GhostDog posted:

What I've seen fell pretty flat for me but then again that was only snippets. Still, unlike W3 Cyberpunk seems like a far cry from a must play. Maybe the Enhanced Edition in a year or two.

For now I'm gonna use the time that has been free'd up for other games. Like Disco Elysium which I've been procrastinating on forever now.

Wait a bit longer, they're adding fully voiced dialogue to it for free.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

pentyne posted:

Wait a bit longer, they're adding fully voiced dialogue to it for free.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. That's awesome because my eyes are really starting to dislike ready reading lots of text on a monitor, a not insignificant factor in my procrastination.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The big final update with voice acting is due in March FYI

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

repiv posted:

The big final update with voice acting is due in March FYI

Yeah, they had to pass on Vin Diesel when he committed to playing himself in Ark 2 and also working as a VA for the cartoon series.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

GamePass on PC loving up yet again. Xbox app can’t seem to validate my sub right now so every time I try to launch a GamePass game it just prompts me to join GamePass instead. I want to like this service but every time I use it something fundamentally fucks up (last time was almost losing my 50 hour WL3 save before doing file surgery).

Also RE: CP2077, sounds a lot like The Outer Worlds where I’m not sure what the point of having loot or skill / talent points is when the options available to you are so anemic. In desperate need of some innovation in that space.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think that a lot of games have Bioshock syndrome, where they try to copy Deus Ex's heavy generic loot without understanding why it's so good in Deus Ex.

It's good in Deus Ex because the game throws tons of resources at you, but you can only carry so much of it. The constant flow of resources gives the player a lot of flexibility, but still makes you make interesting choices about how to approach things. In a more typical game with vendoring loot and trickling weapon upgrades, that sort of system can't really work.

Deus Ex only made one real mistake with loot : having weapon upgrades. They have the unfortunate effect of causing the player to want to hold on to various weapons instead of treating them like every other resource and switching to whatever makes the most sense in a given situation.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

repiv posted:

Upon further investigation it seems more likely to be AMDs fault, the problem is that Cyberpunk ignores hyperthreading on AMD CPUs except Bulldozer ones, and AMD provides a library with exactly that logic

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/cpu-core-counts/blob/master/windows/ThreadCount-Win7.cpp#L69

CDPR copy pasted some AMD code that AMD forgot to update after Ryzen came out

He ha wow, watch it end up being a combo of both (some how).

I really expect that we are going to get a Anthem like article that Cyperpunk was restarted multiple times. A lot of these open world system really underbaked with slapped together ai