Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Doh004 posted:

I have now purchased wheat gluten to help out my whole wheat loaves. Anyone else have good luck using it to get airier loaves?

Wait is this a problem with whole wheat. Because despite my best efforts it's been kinda hit or miss whether or not I get a good spring and I consistently use whole wheat (and spelt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The bran in whole wheat cuts up the gluten, so it's harder to get consistently airy loaves. I haven't delved into making whole wheat bread yet, but it seems the best way to handle it is to sift the flour then reintroduce the bran once gluten has been developed enough.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I got some whole wheat bread flour and it works pretty well. It doesn't rise as much as white flour but then again that's what I'd expect.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
My book has been talking about it a bunch but I thought I could get away without having it as the whole wheat flours I buy have a high protein %.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

What the gently caress

Constantly sabotaging everything I make, inadvertently

Bread sucks, but is also good

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I sometimes add a bit of gluten to my whole wheat loaves, but what worked better for rise was using about 20% AP (or bread) flour and 80% whole wheat.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I'm already settled into something similar. Guess I'm just very good at not getting my drat loaves to rise anymore. Shame, used to be able to get big ol poofy rises when I was using exclusively white AP but once I moved into different grains/mixing I've lost the touch.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Don't blame yourself, blame physics for that. It's a lot harder to get AP Flour rise out of wheat bread without a lot of chemical help.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Huxley posted:

If it eats, it's good bread.

By the time you are going into the basket your dough should be formed up enough to work it better than that. Double check your measurements, and make sure when you are transferring from your mixing bowl to your banneton you are making your ball in the right way.

Dump your dough onto your floured surface, pull your corners up an in, flip and tuck tight, drop seam-down into your banneton. Every surface of your dough should be lightly floured, and your banneton should be LIBERALLY dusted with whatever you are hoping to keep it from sticking. Lots of folks use rice flour, I swear by corn meal. I'm sure there's a half-dozen other right answers.

I also really like dumping my dough from a banneton onto parchment paper, then just lifting the whole thing into the dutch oven. It reduces a little of the anxiety of "working over hot" that might make you move too fast or do something awkwardly. But in most cases if you've done everything right up to that point, you shouldn't need more than a tap on the banneton to knock your dough out.

If you've got the flavor you want, though, you're like 90% of the way to perfect. Make more bread, come back and show us!

Thanks for that, lots of great advice! I most likely used too much water, but starting out with all-rye I probably didn't choose the easiest path to begin with. Still, being in the German-speaking part of Europe, rye bread is what I grew up with and what defines the taste of real bread for me. Now to see if I can get that sourdough to survive until next time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Barbelith posted:

Thanks for that, lots of great advice! I most likely used too much water, but starting out with all-rye I probably didn't choose the easiest path to begin with. Still, being in the German-speaking part of Europe, rye bread is what I grew up with and what defines the taste of real bread for me. Now to see if I can get that sourdough to survive until next time.

Maybe not. I think I was getting closer to those kinds of breads when I was starting with something that was more porridge than dough. The bread turned out to not be something I liked though. One thing I figured out along the way was to give it all a lot of time to hydrate compared to a white flour. That would also help it rise.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I made bread constantly for like a year after that Mark Bittman article came out (waaaayyy back when I was in college..) but I've barely made any in years. I'm off work all week so it seems like a good time to chew up like 5lbs of flour and make shitloads of black bean soup.

Took a few tries to dial it in on my current aggressively-lovely but aggressively-hot, ancient oven, but I finally got close. 400g AP, 300g water, 10g salt, 4g yeast.

3d printing a bread lame right now because whew, that was a mess.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Made some rolls and this time I didn't gently caress them up so they actually rose

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Continuing my adventures into rye sourdough breads.

300 g rye sourdough
360 g whole grain rye flour
160 g whole grain spelt flour
17 g salt

Looks much better than try #1, not sure if the spelt flour does a lot for elasticity, but it was noticeable less sticky to work and could be formed into an actual loaf.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I made some pretzels

Nothing special, just a normal bread recipe, flour, water, starter salt....

maybe a slightly lower hydration, shaped and boiled and cooked

Might do the same thing to make English muffin type biscuits

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made a bread

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Jestery posted:

I made some pretzels

If you're going to do it regularly, it absolutely pays to use food grade lye instead of baking soda. You can use a cold soak (or a spray bottle I've read) instead of boiling and they brown up so much. It's incredible.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 3, 2020

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I am trying to revive a pizza dough that I hosed up yesterday. I realized my mistake as soon as I made it - added salt too early so it didn't rise - but decided to press on anyway. I threw it in the fridge just to see if it would change overnight, but no such luck. It felt completely wrong this morning. No gluten formation at all. So I made a small amount of yeast slurry and coated the dough with it then added a little bit more flour. It's currently sitting on the counter and I'm hoping this will work. If not, anyone have any other ideas? I know I could just toss it but I feel like it could be used for something.

edit - Checked on it a few hours after the adjustments and it seems to be doing better but still not 100%. It's risen slightly and when I worked it a little I can feel that there is definitely some gluten formation. I'm gonna throw it in the fridge and let it go overnight again.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 3, 2020

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Barbelith posted:

Continuing my adventures into rye sourdough breads.

300 g rye sourdough
360 g whole grain rye flour
160 g whole grain spelt flour
17 g salt

Looks much better than try #1, not sure if the spelt flour does a lot for elasticity, but it was noticeable less sticky to work and could be formed into an actual loaf.

That bread looks amazing, exactly like the ones from the bakery.

I've also found that bread with spelt flour turns out much better, with more bubbles and more elasticity.

I made a spelt flour bread mix with a no-knead method, and it turned out really excellent:

I made it in a pudding form because I don't have a bread form, but I'll buy one and make it again.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Happiness Commando posted:

If you're going to do it regularly, it absolutely pays to use food grade lye instead of baking soda. You can use a cold soak (or a spray bottle I've read) instead of boiling and they brown up so much. It's incredible.

Fair enough, I'll check it out

The missus likes my pretzels more than my bread so it's likely I'll be making more pretzels/bagels from here out

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Made my first sourdough bread on Thursday:

Rye sour dough starter
90% rye flour
10% wheat flour

I have tried to perfect my Pizza Napolitana technique during this pandemic but also have tried my hand on yeast bread and rolls.
I finally took the time to cultivate a sour dough starter and it paid off!
Needless to say the bread tasted delicious.

I will make another one now and hope I can make it even better!

Are you guys all using wheat sour dough? It seems rather uncommon here in Germany to use anything different than rye for sour dough.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp. Stopped baking when it got really hot this summer; we don't have central air conditioning and the kitchen and sitting room are joined. Pulled the sad, lonely starter out of the fridge yesterday, stirred into the hooch, and dropped some into a flour and water mixture. Fingers crossed!

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Branching out. Wheat sourdough ciabatta. Would have liked some bigger pores but overall it came out quite nicely for a first try.

(The foccacia I tried before that didn't rise at all and is gonna be fed to the chickens, even though I used the same sourdough starter for both. Probably a temperature issue, but well, can't win 'em all)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Pretty happy with my Sunday loaf

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp. Stopped baking when it got really hot this summer; we don't have central air conditioning and the kitchen and sitting room are joined. Pulled the sad, lonely starter out of the fridge yesterday, stirred into the hooch, and dropped some into a flour and water mixture. Fingers crossed!

I've been using monthly feedings of my starter to make sourdough crackers with the discard. They only take about 20-30 minutes of 'at your leisure' active time and a moderate oven so it's not like committing to the rigid timing and high heat of making bread.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Temperatures have been hitting 40° here so I've been having to keep my mother in my fridge

Slightly different routine , but it certainly works

Proofing and "waking" the yeast is easy enough to do due to the heat so swings and roundabouts

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jestery posted:

Temperatures have been hitting 40° here so I've been having to keep my mother in my fridge

Slightly different routine , but it certainly works

Proofing and "waking" the yeast is easy enough to do due to the heat so swings and roundabouts

I forgot what thread this was and read your mother comment as your literal female parent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I had to figure out that 40 meant C and not F for it to make sense here.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I tried the same rye sourdough bread I made on Thursday again on Saturday and it turned out even better!

I let it rise too long the first time so it was a bit flat.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Are there any resources on reducing salt content of bread? I was given a sourdough class, which I participated in, and I've been running with that recipe for a while, but it calls for 30g salt for 1000g flour.

Seeing as I generally end up munching most of that myself over the course of a weekend, I'm getting a bit concerned.

This weekend I've tried to go down to half that, to see if things still taste and perform acceptably.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

bolind posted:

Are there any resources on reducing salt content of bread? I was given a sourdough class, which I participated in, and I've been running with that recipe for a while, but it calls for 30g salt for 1000g flour.

Seeing as I generally end up munching most of that myself over the course of a weekend, I'm getting a bit concerned.

This weekend I've tried to go down to half that, to see if things still taste and perform acceptably.

Jesus , I can only see that as "authentic"

I usually use 9-15 grams per 500g flour

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

bolind posted:

I've learned 1.8-2.2% salt and that too little or too much is equally bad for the rise, crust and obviously the taste. So 30g does seem a bit on the high side.

Is it just me finding it funny that you worry about 30g salt per weekend but are okay with 1kg of flour? :D

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Malefitz posted:

I've learned 1.8-2.2% salt and that too little or too much is equally bad for the rise, crust and obviously the taste. So 30g does seem a bit on the high side.

Is it just me finding it funny that you worry about 30g salt per weekend but are okay with 1kg of flour? :D

Ha!
I don’t weigh salt but usually use 1tsp per 500g flour. I could probably use more but one can always add salt later, but not take it out (a good maxim for life).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A good tip for reducing salt content in bread is to put less salt in when you make it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

A good tip for reducing salt content in bread is to put less salt in when you make it.

Ok but how to increase the sugar content of my bread?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've been making King Arthur Flour's recipe for hamburger buns a bit lately, they're an enriched dough with 420g of flour, 28g of butter, and 50g sugar. I can't lie they're good buns.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Trying out some wheat flours. Has about 20% Khorasan and 10% Red Fife at 75% hydration

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Dacap posted:

Trying out some wheat flours. Has about 20% Khorasan and 10% Red Fife at 75% hydration

Looks awesome! I think I need to make a wheat sourdough...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I cannot find khorassian anywhere on the shelves. I loved the taste and look of it but then the one shop stopped carrying it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I cannot find khorassian anywhere on the shelves. I loved the taste and look of it but then the one shop stopped carrying it.

I’m in Canada and got it on Amazon.ca, a brand called Anita’s Organic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Made sourdough for the first time in my new place, without since of what I'm used to using.

Nice crust but tasted a tad burned on top, but the bottom didn't cook right. I put it on a cold tray with a silicon liner which seems to have insolated it a bit, it developed a sort of extra ear around the base where the crust rise and seperated from the bottom.