Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'll be first to admit that "a grittier, seedier 80s Fallout New Vegas" is doing a lot more to sell me on the game that pretty much everything else I've been told about before release. How accessible is the game to modding, does anyone know yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I'll be first to admit that "a grittier, seedier 80s Fallout New Vegas" is doing a lot more to sell me on the game that pretty much everything else I've been told about before release. How accessible is the game to modding, does anyone know yet?

Already has a page up on nexusmods. Hopefully as much as witcher 3. https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I just played the Creeper World 4 demo and despite the "My First Game" (Which is funny given that its the fourth one of these) title, it is extremely good! I mean, I heard good things from everyone who played it but it just turns out that games that people that are good actually may be good! :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kentucky Route 0

So, this is it. 7 years and endless jokes over never being finished, Act 1 done and in the bag.

It seems like nothing in the game matters other then what you can find to experience. There's something extremely relaxing about just taking in an atmosphere and music while on a meaningless journey to discover what you discover, no rush, no pressing consequences, just a matter of looking where you can look and listening where you can listen..

The moment coming back down from the farmhouse, where the banjo music and singing kicks in was the moment I really felt there's something unique going on with this game and kept at it.

I missed a few bits in the mine since I turned the lamp off to experience what happens as you travel down, but I wouldn't have had that experience if I had known what to do in advance so it feels extra special knowing that's how I organically discovered the weirdness.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is proving to be a miss, for me

The combat is samey and weightless, the VA makes me cringe, and the animations all look extremely strange; but controlling the main character and doing all that good BotW exploration felt good, and despite the animation I do like the artwork and overall style

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

So I just played the Creeper World 4 demo and despite the "My First Game" (Which is funny given that its the fourth one of these) title, it is extremely good! I mean, I heard good things from everyone who played it but it just turns out that games that people that are good actually may be good! :v:

The entire series is custom designed to appeal to me. As a kid in Starcraft my base was my army and turrets were my basic attack units :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is proving to be a miss, for me

The combat is samey and weightless, the VA makes me cringe, and the animations all look extremely strange; but controlling the main character and doing all that good BotW exploration felt good, and despite the animation I do like the artwork and overall style

When I played it, I felt that it was less BotW and more PS2 Era Mascot Action Adventure. The kind you would rent for the weekend at Blockbuster.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wiltsghost posted:

Already has a page up on nexusmods. Hopefully as much as witcher 3. https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

Most of these look to just people values for the character creators.

Oh, and some one that was able to enable character reflects on surfaces by changing an ini file value.....except the game will never render the player's head.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

When I played it, I felt that it was less BotW and more PS2 Era Mascot Action Adventure. The kind you would rent for the weekend at Blockbuster.

yeah, maybe I'm giving the gliding too much credit :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: wrong thread

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cardiovorax posted:

I feel like I should point out that to me grittier and seedier is as at least as much a negative as a positive, there was imo a certain amount of intentional effort to add edge to the game which can come off as ridiculous or inauthentic at times.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Palpek posted:

The game really is the closest to New Vegas: Cyberpunk edition when it comes to stories, characters, choices and overall narrative structure of the game. It's just that Cyberpunk's flavor and direction in which they took many of its systems scream Deus Ex and so that's where things get mixed up. If you go into it with the expectation of playing a well written spiritual successor to an Obsidian's Fallout game (with all the good and bad things that go with that comparison) you'll feel at home, it's uncanny in some ways.
Not gonna lie, as someone who mostly passed on the game (it was in my "cool but maybe I'll play it a few years down the line") post like these essentially calling it a new Fallout game (but this time in the 80s) are doing a lot to make me more interested.

Maybe I'll uh, still wait a year or two though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hub Cat posted:

I feel like I should point out that to me grittier and seedier is as much a negative as a positive, there was imo a certain amount of intentional effort to add edge to the game which can come off as ridiculous or inauthentic at times.
Yeah, that's fair and it's something I've been a bit leery about since even before the game released. It's more the "it's like New Vegas" part that is stirring my interest.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, maybe I'm giving the gliding too much credit :v:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I thought it was pleasant in that way!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hub Cat posted:

I feel like I should point out that to me grittier and seedier is as at least as much a negative as a positive, there was imo a certain amount of intentional effort to add edge to the game which can come off as ridiculous or inauthentic at times.

It feels very over-the-top a lot of the time. I would not call it an immersive game, it's more along the lines of a theme park ride of a dark '80s future. It's clear that they are just drawing directly from the source books and not updating it to be contemporary at all. Like, the USSR still exists, there are no smart phones, the cops are outmatched by gangs, there's all this anxiety about Japanese business culture, it's all EXTREMELY '80s.

It's like if Fallout was written in the '50s and not just about the '50s, so all the propaganda and fearmongering was real and not tongue-in-cheek.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

That's seems like a pretty fair assessment to me. I don't have any real knowledge of the Cyberpunk universe material but it definitely is pulling pretty hard from the worst excesses of the Cyberpunk genre instead of using it as more of a template for a modern universe.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

no but really whats exciting thats coming out next year?
The entire yakuza series will be available on Steam!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Begemot posted:

It feels very over-the-top a lot of the time. I would not call it an immersive game, it's more along the lines of a theme park ride of a dark '80s future. It's clear that they are just drawing directly from the source books and not updating it to be contemporary at all. Like, the USSR still exists, there are no smart phones, the cops are outmatched by gangs, there's all this anxiety about Japanese business culture, it's all EXTREMELY '80s.

Are you trying to sell this game, because its working on me. That all sounds rad.

(and I don't want to mess around with a smartphone in a game, it was already annoying back in GTA4)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Begemot posted:

I think my preference for "lighter"/"post"-cyberpunk works like Metal Gear comes from the fact that "classic" cyberpunk like the tabletop game and 2077 all ultimately come off as the future as envisioned in 1987 and hasn't really moved passed that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pleads posted:

At least once a page someone asks about buying a game on Steam that's included in Game Pass. It's truly heartbreaking.

Is there any plugins for Steam to highlight games which are on gamepass or other subs? Would be very helpful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I think my preference for "lighter"/"post"-cyberpunk works like Metal Gear comes from the fact that "classic" cyberpunk like the tabletop game and 2077 all ultimately come off as the future as envisioned in 1987 and hasn't really moved passed that.
...you know, I never thought about it that way because the game just doesn't present itself like that at all, but there's really nothing more cyberpunk than Revengeance's story of full-conversion cyborgs struggling against corrupt government officials and private (military) corporations, is there?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cardiovorax posted:

...you know, I never thought about it that way because the game just doesn't present itself like that at all, but there's really nothing more cyberpunk than Revengeance's story of full-conversion cyborgs struggling against corrupt government officials and private (military) corporations, is there?

Pretty much. People look at cyberpunk stuff for the cool aesthetic, but one of the best cyberpunk games is MGS4, and while there’s a lot of high tech, it tends to be visually unobtrusive. Revengeance just carries that forward as a direct sequel.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pretty much. People look at cyberpunk stuff for the cool aesthetic, but one of the best cyberpunk games is MGS4, and while there’s a lot of high tech, it tends to be visually unobtrusive. Revengeance just carries that forward as a direct sequel.
And the kind of stuff Raiden gets up to in that game definitely would right into Ghost in the Shell.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Cardiovorax posted:

It hasn't really been in development for all of those nine years, from what I've been told. The game first got teased nine years ago, but that was mostly a way to grab the attention of potential talent to work on it. It entered pre-production 2016 according to Wikipedia, so it's really more like four years. Longer than the average development cycle these days, but not by that much, and one of those years was Corona.

Also to be taken with a grain of salt, but a somewhat credible anonymous post that I believe was highlighted by Schreier said that the pre-production was the bulk of development time, and the actual development cycle took place over roughly the last 2 years, in the form of perpetual crunch.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Somebody was asking about what games were coming up in 2021 (in the context of Cyberpunk being one of the few hugely-hyped games releasing in this time period).

Here's some bigger PC games I'm at least interested to see that are confirmed for 2021 (insofar as anything is confirmed):

Hitman 3
Deathloop (Arkane)
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
Outriders (People Can Fly coop shooter)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood (Cyanide RPG)
Little Nightmares 2
Everspace 2
Resident Evil Village
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Tango Gameworks - aka the Evil Within folks)
Warhammer 40k: Darktide (40k Vermintide)
Humankind (Amplitude Civ)
Stronghold: Warriors
Skull & Bones
Dying Light 2
Evil Genius 2
Gotham Knights
Sable
Weird West
Psychonauts 2 (2021 is the official release target, but lol)

Nothing is quite on the level of Cyberpunk for anticipation but there's some potentially cool releases coming, even considering that a decent portion probably won't hit their release targets. And that's not even counting ports (Nioh 2, Yakuzas, Persona 5 Strikers, etc), remasters (PoP: Sands of Time, ...), or EA 1.0 releases (Hardspace: Shipbreaker, ...). Am I missing anything major (besides Far Cry 6)?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Disco Elysium is getting a remaster of sorts next year, with it going from "barely voice acted" to "fully voice acted"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Originally, Nioh 2 was slated to release for PC on 22nd of November and I was very sad to find that it hadn't, so that's pretty much the game I am currently looking forward to the most for early next year.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Anyone having issues with steam freezing on launch after the latest update? I've uninstalled/cleared registry twice and but no luck...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

repiv posted:

Disco Elysium is getting a remaster of sorts next year, with it going from "barely voice acted" to "fully voice acted"

Oh that's cool as heck!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just tried Hunt Showdown with a friend of mine and I was pretty disappointed. There's a lot to like about the game, I really love the look of it, but thought it was just kinda boring to play.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

explosivo posted:

I just tried Hunt Showdown with a friend of mine and I was pretty disappointed. There's a lot to like about the game, I really love the look of it, but thought it was just kinda boring to play.

If you play it passively, it is pretty boring, but you can go a lot more aggressive. The older weaponry makes melee somehow actually very effective.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

Sounds like they're adding a bunch of new content as well :swoon:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cardiovorax posted:

Originally, Nioh 2 was slated to release for PC on 22nd of November and I was very sad to find that it hadn't, so that's pretty much the game I am currently looking forward to the most for early next year.

Now it's February 7th-- it's also launching alongside a (free) upgrade for next gen console versions with 4k and all that good poo poo, so hopefully it'll be a nice port. All DLC will be included with the PC version as well

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

explosivo posted:

Chase gunshots and fight other players, the monsters are only really interesting in how they complicate PVP :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

I on the other hand can't stop staying up late queueing up for games with my friends, this game is sometimes infuriating but mostly amazing

It is also on sale right now

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I didn't care for Hunt, we kept getting oneshot by people way higher level and then our characters were dead for good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

I didn't care for Hunt, we kept getting oneshot by people way higher level and then our characters were dead for good

You don't lose your characters anymore until you get to player level 11, and even then, higher level people don't really present much more of an added threat other than if they're better skill-wise.

Also, character loss isn't a big deal in Hunt anyway. It's in a really great place where it just acts as a disincentive against suicidal play, unlike something like Tarkov.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

goferchan posted:

Now it's February 7th-- it's also launching alongside a (free) upgrade for next gen console versions with 4k and all that good poo poo, so hopefully it'll be a nice port. All DLC will be included with the PC version as well

The first one had a great port, we've come a long way from those Dynasty Warriors ports that didn't have button prompts.

That's the only thing on my radar for next year, along with SMTV and the SaGa Frontier remaster on switch.

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stickman posted:

Somebody was asking about what games were coming up in 2021 (in the context of Cyberpunk being one of the few hugely-hyped games releasing in this time period).

Here's some bigger PC games I'm at least interested to see that are confirmed for 2021 (insofar as anything is confirmed):
[...]

Nothing is quite on the level of Cyberpunk for anticipation but there's some potentially cool releases coming, even considering that a decent portion probably won't hit their release targets. And that's not even counting ports (Nioh 2, Yakuzas, Persona 5 Strikers, etc), remasters (PoP: Sands of Time, ...), or EA 1.0 releases (Hardspace: Shipbreaker, ...). Am I missing anything major (besides Far Cry 6)?

Right now there is so little known about Elden Ring (From Software) that all the excitement for it is partly a meme, but you just know there are people who have already taken a trip around the world in the hypetrain.

Edit: BTW I’m joining the meme crowd and saying it will definitely be released in 2021. Totally!