Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

Ok is it the same justification as the movie? Something about a policy to curb juvenile delinquency?

thats what i tell myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

Ok is it the same justification as the movie? Something about a policy to curb juvenile delinquency?

It seems to have worked in Fortnite's case at least.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

All I want to know is the basic justification for sending a hundred soldiers onto an island to fight to the death?

I think in Apex Legends the lore is that the bad guy from Titanfall 2 started it and they show it on TV/the winner get lots of money/fame. I guess people in-universe follow it like it's the NBA or something except the guy they like will be dead soon

but actually all the legends have secret motivations and are entering the games to avenge their father's deaths or w/e

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CottonWolf posted:

Does PUBG actually have lore? Or does it have lore in the way that Fortnite does, i.e. disconnected marketting tie-ins occur without rhyme or reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzE9zHxd74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOVzLcw0iA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SKmGj_-f0

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

So having watched the Season 8 trailer, it's a illegal death game run by a inept criminal enterprise so that the super-rich can bet on it? I buy it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

punk rebel ecks posted:

The amount of hyperbole of Cyberpunk's "racism" and "sexism" is crazy to me. Ten hours in and the game seems great on those fronts, at least relative to other massive AAA titles.

I've been really cautious about any news regarding the game so far; so many people seem to have worked themselves into a frenzy over it, either rabidly defending it and ignoring/shouting down all criticism or screaming that its somehow the worst thing of all time.

At least the Cyberpunk thread here seems to have calmed down somewhat since the game came out. It seems like they're enjoying it for the most part but it definitely has a lot of bugs, especially on older consoles.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

At least the Cyberpunk thread here seems to have calmed down somewhat since the game came out. It seems like they're enjoying it for the most part but it definitely has a lot of bugs, especially on older consoles.

It is literally the only game I've ever played that's given me more than one CTD on console. And that was in only in a single play session, because I only played a bit before lending my copy to a friend who wants to play it now, while I'd rather wait for patches.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My friends have given me the review of "it's pretty fun but a buggy mess" so I'm gonna wait for some major patches to go through. Also, I'm betting it will get the FF7Re treatment where they figure everyone has already gotten it so it goes on pretty heavy sale in a few months

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

CottonWolf posted:

It is literally the only game I've ever played that's given me more than one CTD on console. And that was in only in a single play session, because I only played a bit before lending my copy to a friend who wants to play it now, while I'd rather wait for patches.

Yeah last gen consoles really got hosed on this one, to the point where I'm not sure why they even bothered. Most of the spec guides I've seen floating about basically boil down to "get an RTX already!" which isn't really a great sign for hardware that old.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I was playing on PS5, so I trust that there'll eventually be a stable version there, but I really feel for people trying to play it on an OG Bone or base PS4.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Anyone here play it on a base bone? Would be interested in impressions after hearing how bad the PS4 version is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

I was playing on PS5, so I trust that there'll eventually be a stable version there, but I really feel for people trying to play it on an OG Bone or base PS4.

My interest in getting a PS5 has tripled simply because I'm now in sunk cost land with Cyberpunk lol

Of course knowing how messed up the support is for that I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't transfer your saves over to PS4 back compat on the PS5

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
even with a ps5 it's probably advisable to wait another six months or so if you don't want to wade through the buggy swamp

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tbh i'm kinda reminded of donkey kong 64 and how the developers could not figure out how to get it to stop crashing without just requiring the ram expansion pack, except this time the pack is an entire console

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Probably won’t be able to get a PS5 for six months anyway so they don’t have much of a choice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah last gen consoles really got hosed on this one, to the point where I'm not sure why they even bothered. Most of the spec guides I've seen floating about basically boil down to "get an RTX already!" which isn't really a great sign for hardware that old.

It plays and looks good on my 1070 at mid settings

I think the console version will be fixed once they can focus on it. The whole dev cycle seems like it was totally hosed and abusive and mismanaged and they could only get the pc into semi-decent shape by the final deadline the suits set. They should have done like gta or final fantasy and staggered releases between console/pc

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

to be clear, playing on PS5 does not stop all problems. I'm ending every play session with a crash

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oxxidation posted:

even with a ps5 it's probably advisable to wait another six months or so if you don't want to wade through the buggy swamp

Yeah. I played enough of it to know that I'll enjoy it, so now I'm waiting for the full PS5 patch. By the time that releases hopefully they'll have fixed all the most egregious bugs. Hell, the first expansion might even be out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
just finished yakuza kiwami 1 earlier and my thoughts on the final sequence are, in order:

i could not give fewer shits about this jingu guy

this story sucks!

this fight sucks!

the final battle feels completely unearned but at least it's a much better fight than what precedes it

wait is that amazing grace

why is kiryu abandoning his dog in the middle of the city

this story sucks

anyway looking forward to kiwami 2 in a few months

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kiwami 2 is quite a bit better

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

After all the hype its a very normal videogame comparable in scope to many games that run on ps4 they need to fix their bullshit

^^
Yeah!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

to be clear, playing on PS5 does not stop all problems. I'm ending every play session with a crash

Every tenth of a second my base PS4 is forced with the choice of "display new frames," "play sound effects," "register controller input" and only able to pick two lol

It's a testament to the game that it's still intriguing me enough to keep playing with all of these problems but I could have a better QoL experience with any of the other 7 games I am also playing...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 13, 2020

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

On that note it's really bizarre to me when like LoL and DOTA will have full spin offs and other long haul marketing initiatives dedicated to characters named like Sniper Rogue or Storm Sorcerer.

League's thankfully avoided DotA's weird hero naming scheme and hired some exceptionally good visual designers, with the result being a cast of highly distinctive - and highly marketable - characters. It's a testament to how disjointed Riot's internals are that it took them this long to start developing spinoffs with their IP.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dota's lore is mostly dumb because it's all Definitely Not Warcraft 3 Lore so they pretty much gave up on it from the get-go. Making you actually care about the characters in League outside of their current in-game usefulness which fluctuates patch-to-patch is a strategy that actually causes people to form a bond with the game and more likely to buy things like cosmetics, as opposed to Valve's strategy which has now just become trying to make cosmetics into a stock market equivalency. Their cosmetics used to be reasonably priced and easily obtainable but now getting any set is gonna require you to do some lootbox lottery bullshit

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Vermain posted:

League's thankfully avoided DotA's weird hero naming scheme and hired some exceptionally good visual designers, with the result being a cast of highly distinctive - and highly marketable - characters. It's a testament to how disjointed Riot's internals are that it took them this long to start developing spinoffs with their IP.

I mean DotA started out as a literal WC3 fan map that blew up in a way nobody could have seen coming and DotA2 started out as basically a straight port of that to a new engine so I'll give them a bit of leeway on that one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Real hurthling! posted:

After all the hype its a very normal videogame comparable in scope to many games that run on ps4 they need to fix their bullshit

I'd say that the geometry in the city design is impressive. But yeah, in terms of "gameplay" I don't see anything that other games haven't been doing over the past dozen years.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

drat sjw game journalists and their fake 7/10s

drat shill game journalists and their fake 10/10s

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

drat sjw game journalists and their fake 7/10s

drat shill game journalists and their fake 10/10s

To be frank, that's a way higher user score than I was expecting. I thought for sure it would get dive bombed into James Cameron's The Abyss but 6.6 sounds about right-ish for where the game is at right now.

I noticed they weren't letting people submit user scores right away, when did they start doing that?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm wondering/contemplating if the setting of Cyberpunk 2077 is how bad the future's gonna be by the 2070s, or if it'll be a tad less lovely than that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

To be frank, that's a way higher user score than I was expecting. I thought for sure it would get dive bombed into James Cameron's The Abyss but 6.6 sounds about right-ish for where the game is at right now.

I noticed they weren't letting people submit user scores right away, when did they start doing that?

The PS4 one is much worse but there is no critic score to compare with.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Grouchio posted:

I'm wondering/contemplating if the setting of Cyberpunk 2077 is how bad the future's gonna be by the 2070s, or if it'll be a tad less lovely than that.

I'm on team "far more lovely".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

just finished yakuza kiwami 1 earlier and my thoughts on the final sequence are, in order:

kiwami 1 is the nadir because it's a very faithful recreation of a ps2 game made before yakuza either became a franchise or hit its stride writing-wise

playing 0 makes it even worse because it gives a lot of gravitas and menace to several characters who just go out with a wet pbbhht sound in kiwami

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

Explain your reasoning.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Grouchio posted:

Explain your reasoning.

We're due a world war. The longer we have nukes, the more likely they (or their more powerful replacement technologies) get used. Climate change. Rampant capitalism. There are so many things that could go wrong and it all falls apart.

The more technologically advanced we are, the more devastating a small miscalculation gets.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Remember that next gen console Cyberpunk isn’t out yet. The new consoles are running the back compact X1X/X1S/PS4 version. So right now even a PS5 won’t help that much

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

wuggles posted:

Remember that next gen console Cyberpunk isn’t out yet. The new consoles are running the back compact X1X/X1S/PS4 version. So right now even a PS5 won’t help that much

The PS5 will help with performance a lot but it won't look anything like the game everybody is praising.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CottonWolf posted:

2020 America is already lovely in such a unique way that I don't see how what I've seen of Cyberpunk so far isn't already less lovely than 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

kiwami 1 is the nadir because it's a very faithful recreation of a ps2 game made before yakuza either became a franchise or hit its stride writing-wise

playing 0 makes it even worse because it gives a lot of gravitas and menace to several characters who just go out with a wet pbbhht sound in kiwami
part of the reason why I object to the common wisdom of playing 0 first

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that and also, release order is always the best way to do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tfw you get to the reveal in 13 Sentinels of why the characters lose their clothes in the robots and it turns out everyone was right and it makes perfect sense

I've figured out a lot of stuff in the game, but even knowing that an explanation was coming I didn't work that one out ahead of time