Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tradd Moore on Batman Black & White.

I think I prefer his work with intense colours, but this is cool too. I particularly love the cape flowing from move to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Jurassic Park #2 (1993)
Pencils: Gil Kane
Inks: George Perez

Jurassic Park #3 (1993)
Pencils: Gil Kane
Inks: George Perez

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Richard Corben died today at the age of 80.

He also did the art on a real rad comic book adaptation of the classic horror story The House on the Borderland. Which unfortunately seems to be out of print.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

muscles like this! posted:

He also did the art on a real rad comic book adaptation of the classic horror story The House on the Borderland. Which unfortunately seems to be out of print.

I don't own a copy, but seeing that was part of the reason I eventually tracked down a copy of the book. Since I now have four volumes of The Collected Fiction of William Hope Hodgson, I'd say it worked out pretty well.

I wonder if my local comic shop still has copies, it's one I should grab but keep putting off. Like most of my comic purchases, really.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stratdax posted:

The one set in the prison? Funny enough I actually just finished it and was thinking about posting it here as an example of bad art. Really didn't think it fit. I mean, everybody has their off days.

It is terrible art. Everyone looks like a thalidomide victim. However, it definitely fit with Brian Azzarello's story because that was terrible too. That said, let it not take away from mourning the man. I never liked Corben's art personally, but he was a mainstay of comics for many years and about the last person who could really nail the classic EC style.

Now, here's some good Hellblazer art:

DC ending that run with #12 was loving criminal for many reasons, but Aaron Campbell's art was number 1.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Nights Into Dreams #4

Pencil Breakdowns: Patrick Spaziante
Pencil Finishes: Sam Maxwell
Inks: Harvey "Harvo" Mercadoocasio
Colors: Ken Penders

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Jedit posted:

It is terrible art. Everyone looks like a thalidomide victim. However, it definitely fit with Brian Azzarello's story because that was terrible too. That said, let it not take away from mourning the man. I never liked Corben's art personally, but he was a mainstay of comics for many years and about the last person who could really nail the classic EC style.

Now, here's some good Hellblazer art:

DC ending that run with #12 was loving criminal for many reasons, but Aaron Campbell's art was number 1.

hellblazer ending early is one of the many things i will be quietly angry about until i die

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jedit posted:

I never liked Corben's art personally, but he was a mainstay of comics for many years and about the last person who could really nail the classic EC style.

Corben was the master of grotesque and disturbing, there's just something so off about how he draws horror. Everything is touched with madness.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Another hell of a transformation, this time from King in Black: Immortal Hulk, which is beautifully drawn by Aaron Kuder.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Going the full on Akira route I ssee.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Another hell of a transformation, this time from King in Black: Immortal Hulk, which is beautifully drawn by Aaron Kuder.

in my dreams the next Avengers movie is same old PG 13 business as usual and then out of nowhere this is the Hulk transformation sequence, just loving insane body horror. That is amazingly well done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We'll get a hard R film in the MCU eventually.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Maybe when they finally get around to adapting Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers arc "The Unspoken", featuring the original Inhuman King whose name cannot be spoken except multiple people do and they censor out his name, so it's reasonable to assume that it's Shitfucker.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe when they finally get around to adapting Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers arc "The Unspoken", featuring the original Inhuman King whose name cannot be spoken except multiple people do and they censor out his name, so it's reasonable to assume that it's Shitfucker.

Someone replace all the Inhumans' faces with :mad:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Unspoken kinda seems like Dan Slott just tried to think of the opposite of Black Bolt. "What if everyone else couldn't say his name?"

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/steph_smash/status/1339709842106269697?s=21

Amano did a cover for a new Harley Quinn book coming out in 2021 😍

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Solenna posted:

in my dreams the next Avengers movie is same old PG 13 business as usual and then out of nowhere this is the Hulk transformation sequence, just loving insane body horror. That is amazingly well done.

I love the weird Cronenberg wrinkle they added to the Hulk, but it makes the purple pants even more inexplicable than ever.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Splint Chesthair posted:

I love the weird Cronenberg wrinkle they added to the Hulk, but it makes the purple pants even more inexplicable than ever.

SICKO in Local Dying Comedy Forum DEMANDS Marvel Publish Hulk's FAT MEAT

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The purple pants are a physical manifestation of Bruce's psychological need to hide himself from the world even when in hulk form

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His muscles come from the muscle dimension, but to get to earth they must pass through the dimension of purple garments.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You might think that the pants are somehow created as part of the process of transforming into the Hulk et al. but no, he must go and find them and put them on one leg at a time just like you and me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PenguinKnight posted:

https://twitter.com/steph_smash/status/1339709842106269697?s=21

Amano did a cover for a new Harley Quinn book coming out in 2021 😍

You guys LIKE that?

That's loving terrible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's got a bit of captain America chest going on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
oh boy here we go

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Sorry....to me just looks like something I used to whip up in High School. I didn't know this artist was controversial or anything.

I just think the illustration is kinda bad.

The Hulk stuff posted recently looks cool.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Amano is a pretty famous/veteran artist, I will say this particular piece gives me the same vibe as those weird 1990s comics where John Buscema or John Romita Sr. would have to draw Cable or Venom or the pouch-y extreme versions of the Avengers or Fantastic Four, not technically wrong but out of my own mental comfort zone of "what this person draws".

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Amano also did some art for Sandman

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It could be so much more Amano. I wonder if he dialed it back.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys LIKE that?

That's loving terrible.

:wrong:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That Harley image is not his best work, but it's not bad. I don't think it really fits in this thread.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the guest art he did for magic the gathering is a good comparison of stuff he's been hired to do

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That Harley image is not his best work, but it's not bad. I don't think it really fits in this thread.

it's good AND bad comic art thread

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

sliami posted:

SICKO in Local Dying Comedy Forum DEMANDS Marvel Publish Hulk's FAT MEAT

:sickos:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Like a lot of people, I think, I first learned about Amano when he did the character designs for Final Fantasy 3/6.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 18, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

sliami posted:

it's good AND bad comic art thread

Yeah that's what I mean, it's not especially good or bad. But whatever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like it

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Amano is a bit of an acquired taste, but that Harley Quinn cover is honestly pretty restrained for his style. I like it.

He did concept art for almost every Final Fantasy game, and always designs the logos. Here's one of his pieces for FFX:

He's also famous for doing all the covers and illustrations for Vampire Hunter D.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And he got his start doing character designs for Tatsunoko, including on Casshern, Tekkaman, and Science Ninja Team Gatchaman.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Like a lot of people, I think, I first learned about Amano when he did the character designs for Final Fantasy 3/6.

Certified Hood Classics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So in regards to the body horror Hulk transformations, is it the general assumption in those books that She-Hulk is also going through some American Werewolf in London/Wand of Fin-Raziel poo poo? It seems out of tone for such a generally lighthearted character, but would make a really funny one panel gag in one of her books maybe.