Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Rumda posted:

It started as a post pointing out how southerners see the north as especially racist when most of the big racist and fascist leaders were southerners. Then some unknown person posted from the official 'in fact have any racist party come from the north' swept up in things, which was pointed out as denialism. The apology condemned Nazis utterly but the party leader said it was making too much of a point of no platforming which he says doesn't work

Sorry Rumda, this is totally incoherent (to me at least), and I still have no idea what on earth happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1338045188053360640?s=19

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

His Divine Shadow posted:

Holy poo poo never a wronger thing has been posted.

A real computer with a proper keyboard is the only way. A phone in my world is for posting short simple messages when you can't wait to get home. Ugh at the idea of typing this on a phone.

look at the monopoly man here who both owns a desktop computer and also has enough spare space at home to have a dedicated desk to sit at

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well that's just code for 'actually attends a meeting about it' isn't It?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I watched the NIP thing happen on Slack a couple of days ago and tbh it was an enormous kerfuffle over very little. The NIP made a tweet saying that no notable fascist organisations started in the North (questionable) which turned into a lot of replies pointing out ones that did. The tweet was deleted and an apology issued because it looks like turning a blind eye to problems, which is all fair enough. Then followed a big argument about whether the tweet should have been deleted at all and it all went mad after a couple of people arrived at the conclusion that leaving the tweet up would have somehow been platforming nazis. So a whole ‘no platforming’ debate happened that wasn’t even relevant, the founder questioned the effectiveness of no platforming, the couple of members kicked off in greater measure and eventually got themselves suspended from Slack (but not the party, note). Should not that the founder wasn’t completely opposed to no platform as a policy, just that he wasn’t sure and didn’t want significant party policy decisions being made on-the-fly with no discussion

It’s all very silly and not a great start.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 13, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1338049095844433921?s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wasn't Drax a Bond villain?

Research reveals that not only was Drax the villain from Moonraker but was also named after Fleming's friend Reginald Drax (or, more correctly, Admiral Sir Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, KCB, DSO, JP, DL), MP Richard Drax's father.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 13, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reminder that it would have been cheaper in both cash and lives lost to arm the slaves in Jamaica in exchange for an alliance with Sam Sharpe instead of paying off the enslavers, but some of those lives lost would have been rich whites.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Noxville posted:

I watched the NIP thing happen on Slack a couple of days ago and tbh it was an enormous kerfuffle over very little. The NIP made a tweet saying that no notable fascist organisations started in the North (questionable) which turned into a lot of replies pointing out ones that did. The tweet was deleted and an apology issued because it looks like turning a blind eye to problems, which is all fair enough. Then followed a big argument about whether the tweet should have been deleted at all and it all went mad after a couple of people arrived at the conclusion that leaving the tweet up would have somehow been platforming nazis. So a whole ‘no platforming’ debate happened that wasn’t even relevant, the founder questioned the effectiveness of no platforming, the couple of members kicked off in greater measure and eventually got themselves suspended from Slack (but not the party, note)

That clears it up, thanks.

OwlFancier's comment about the leftist party speed run is spot on. Do fringe right wing parties have these sorts of petty internecine conflicts but in reverse?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

OwlFancier's comment about the leftist party speed run is spot on. Do fringe right wing parties have these sorts of petty internecine conflicts but in reverse?

Aren't most fringe right wing parties astro-turf creations by billionare cunts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

keep punching joe posted:

Aren't most fringe right wing parties astro-turf creations by billionare cunts.

Yes and yes. Right wingers are all messy bitches who all hate each other and desperately grab for power and routinely implode. See Pauline Hanson's entire career, Night of the Wrong Wives, etc. They need constant astroturf just to stay in any kind of focus.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Virtually all the minor parties you see on an election form are right wing, are off shoots of each other and all hate each other.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hey I'm given to understand you're the thread resident pharma expert (or one of them) so i gotta question.

Why do I gotta take a d3 supplement "with lunch" but I gotta take levothyroxine "before breakfast". I read the pamphlets but they say nothing and Google tells me nothing either

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Never effort post.

All posts are effort posts until you discover Awful App™

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The downside is that while liberals tend to see left-wing third parties as excuses to go further right, tories desperately try to appease and reabsorb right-wing parties and go further to the right.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Noxville posted:

I watched the NIP thing happen on Slack a couple of days ago and tbh it was an enormous kerfuffle over very little. The NIP made a tweet saying that no notable fascist organisations started in the North (questionable) which turned into a lot of replies pointing out ones that did. The tweet was deleted and an apology issued because it looks like turning a blind eye to problems, which is all fair enough. Then followed a big argument about whether the tweet should have been deleted at all and it all went mad after a couple of people arrived at the conclusion that leaving the tweet up would have somehow been platforming nazis. So a whole ‘no platforming’ debate happened that wasn’t even relevant, the founder questioned the effectiveness of no platforming, the couple of members kicked off in greater measure and eventually got themselves suspended from Slack (but not the party, note). Should not that the founder wasn’t completely opposed to no platform as a policy, just that he wasn’t sure and didn’t want significant party policy decisions being made on-the-fly with no discussion

They also suspended the inclusion and diversity co-ordindiantor and fired her husband as secretary for her actions.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey I'm given to understand you're the thread resident pharma expert (or one of them) so i gotta question.

Why do I gotta take a d3 supplement "with lunch" but I gotta take levothyroxine "before breakfast". I read the pamphlets but they say nothing and Google tells me nothing either

Some of it is just legacy stuff but stomach contents massive affect absorption of drugs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Laura k tweet is dire but it's worth remembering the real reason for brexit

https://twitter.com/DeadCatBrigade/status/1338058665572655104?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yeah but it's normally about sex drama rather than doctrinal conflict - the EDL imploded over the whole "EDL Angels" thing (I've no idea about the details but from a safe distance the whole thing was like Macbeth being played out on the Jeremy Kyle show), there was the Night of Wrong Wives in the Traditional Workers Party in the US, and we won't even get into the Proud Boys (I'll leave the obvious joke to someone else).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Phone posting is quick and easy, get with the times and learn 2 swipe, grandpa.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I prefer to keep my telephone and home computer as separate concerns :corsair:

I answer the telephone like a decent godfear'n person hello crispix, crispixtown, ohthree SIXthree?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

it's v worth clicking through this just for that last anecdote

here it is, for collective convenience:

maybe related: this was a fun read from a while back: https://abe-winter.github.io/book/review/2020/06/04/dictators-army.html

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I dictate my posts to my butler, he sorts out all the forums business as I simply can't afford to get hand cramp or dry finger

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I post from both

The app is very good

LOL lmao at the cavepeople who are like "but how do you type a long post with your thumbs?"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rumda posted:

They also suspended the inclusion and diversity co-ordindiantor and fired her husband as secretary for her actions.

I suppose it depends on whose word you take, but apparently she was using his phone to access his Slack admin pers missions during her suspension.

I understand she was upset at pushback on whether no platforming should be a party policy (and I fully agree that it’s necessary when dealing with fascists) but she was working herself into tears on being told that a contentious policy couldn’t be decided on by a single member in a social media post with no consultation with anyone else. IIRC the admin was only going to put a pin in things for a day to let everyone calm down but I guess that didn’t happen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

Well that's just code for 'actually attends a meeting about it' isn't It?

Look at this person who thinks Boris will attend a meeting. He'll do nothing, as always.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rumda posted:

Some of it is just legacy stuff but stomach contents massive affect absorption of drugs

Some drugs are destroyed by stomach acids and so need to be taken on an empty stomach (they're normally coated to stop residual acids getting to them), or cause nausea so it's safer to take them on an empty stomach. There's also stuff like - because the duodenum absorbs things much more quickly than the stomach - if you want the maximum possible dose to hit the system all at once you coat it and take it before a meal so the maximum amount of drug hits the duodenum at once or conversely if you want it absorbed more slowly you don't coat it and take it after a meal so it passes into the system more slowly.

A lot of the time it doesn't actually matter, but generally if a drug has specific instructions on when and how you should take it it's a good idea to follow them - the one thing that baffles me is that aspirin and ibuprofen don't have DO NOT TAKE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH in giant flashing red letters on every single pill*. Both drugs (aspirin considerably more than ibuprofen) irritate the stomach lining and reduce the clotting ability of blood - if they get lodged in the stomach they can cause a fatal GI bleed. My mum lost 4 pints(!) of blood this way and if she hadn't already been in hospital for something else she'd have definitely died.

* admittedly the LEDs and batteries required to do this would have their own dangers

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

I prefer to keep my telephone and home computer as separate concerns :corsair:

Pissflaps alt unmasked at last

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Noxville posted:

I suppose it depends on whose word you take, but apparently she was using his phone to access his Slack admin pers missions during her suspension.

I understand she was upset at pushback on whether no platforming should be a party policy (and I fully agree that it’s necessary when dealing with fascists) but she was working herself into tears on being told that a contentious policy couldn’t be decided on by a single member in a social media post with no consultation with anyone else. IIRC the admin was only going to put a pin in things for a day to let everyone calm down but I guess that didn’t happen

One there is no evidence of that actually happening, and two the party deciding policy by a single member is exactly what Philip was doing by saying that we should debate Nazis and TERFs, third the conversation was left for a day then it started up again and the admins came down hard on minority members expressing concern. A leftist party not offering a platform for Nazis should be a given not up for debate.

Especially when I specifically asked if this was the case before I offered support and was given assurance that it was.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

Look at this person who thinks Boris will attend a meeting. He'll do nothing, as always.

Hey meetings are the perfect place to do nothing, but Johnson requires making an effort to go to a meeting to do nothing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Niric posted:

Pissflaps alt unmasked at last

You take that back right now!!!

Take it back :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
How long after no deal announcement do we get the obligatory guardian article saying it's actually maybe a good thing, actually :smug:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

crispix posted:

How long after no deal announcement do we get the obligatory guardian article saying it's actually maybe a good thing, actually :smug:

No they'll say this is the worst possible outcome and a horrible reflection on Corbyns Labour Party for not being strong enough opposition to stop it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

No they'll say this is the worst possible outcome and a horrible reflection on Corbyns Labour Party for not being strong enough opposition to stop it.

Which is around 30% true. If Corbyn had been a stronger leader he would have purged the likes of Hoey and Mann in 2017. Without them, the vote forcing the government to keep us in the Single Market passes. Boris probably still calls a GE in late 2019 so he can apply the principle of no government binding its successor, but he has to do it specifically so we can exit the EU with no deal (or break the deal we've already agreed). I'm not sure that has the same outcome as the election to "Get Brexit Done", and even if it does then he loses his capacity to blame the EU for the fallout.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

Which is around 30% true. If Corbyn had been a stronger leader he would have purged the likes of Hoey and Mann in 2017. Without them, the vote forcing the government to keep us in the Single Market passes. Boris probably still calls a GE in late 2019 so he can apply the principle of no government binding its successor, but he has to do it specifically so we can exit the EU with no deal (or break the deal we've already agreed). I'm not sure that has the same outcome as the election to "Get Brexit Done", and even if it does then he loses his capacity to blame the EU for the fallout.

That's absolutely not the line the Guardian would use though lol

Also that arc is only visible with hindsight - while the right was openly wrecking from the start it wasn't clear that driving them out wouldn't result in mutual destruction until the 2017 GE which gave Corbynite Labour enough internal drive to keep it going until 2019. Hopefully the left has learned the right lessions now but it's not fair to say it was obvious at the time. No excuses post 2017 though apart from weakness and lack of drive and vision from the Labour left which is still loving them now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

kecske posted:

look at the monopoly man here who both owns a desktop computer and also has enough spare space at home to have a dedicated desk to sit at

The secret is to live so far north in a place with low enough population density that stuff like space is cheap.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
No deal announcement in ~10mins?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

namesake posted:

Hopefully the left has learned the right lessions now

Hahahahahahahahhahahahhahhhahahah

Oh you're being serious? Let me laugh louder

Hahahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahbabababbababahbabsbsbsb

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1338086371584593920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I think the left learned the correct lessons from it, but won't have a chance to actually implement those lesson until it's forgotten again.