Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Destroying a party before its even started over whether or not to not platform nazis which the north does not by definition have.

1971 - Rolls-Royce goes bankrupt and is nationalised, decimalization, starbucks founded, melinda messenger born

Aaaaand deadline extended.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

which the north does not by definition have.

Pardon?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rumda posted:

They also suspended the inclusion and diversity co-ordindiantor and fired her husband as secretary for her actions.

He's still secretary

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

That New Yorker cover except everything beyond the Angel of the North is just "Nazis"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kecske posted:

look at the monopoly man here who both owns a desktop computer and also has enough spare space at home to have a dedicated desk to sit at

I'mma blow your mind, but I have a desktop, a laptop (and a prototype set top TV box) and three desks as my home office environment :homebrew:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Unless I misunderstood, the quarrel was sparked by someone posting from their twitter account that there are no, and have never been any, fascists from the North.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Noxville posted:

I suppose it depends on whose word you take, but apparently she was using his phone to access his Slack admin pers missions during her suspension.

I understand she was upset at pushback on whether no platforming should be a party policy (and I fully agree that it’s necessary when dealing with fascists) but she was working herself into tears on being told that a contentious policy couldn’t be decided on by a single member in a social media post with no consultation with anyone else. IIRC the admin was only going to put a pin in things for a day to let everyone calm down but I guess that didn’t happen

I'll be honest, I doubt it's your intention but it's really coming off as you not taking this particularly seriously. I've had enough of left-wing parties throwing minority voices under the bus at the first opportunity, that's why I left the loving Labour party.

This situation stinks to high heaven

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ey up compo what's tha doin wi that torch and banner, bah gum

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1338096137551704067?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol this is an Adam Smith institute goon

https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/1338078924333592578?s=19

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Continuity NIP posted:

He's still secretary

Really because last night he told me he had been kicked out of the committee

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

I'll be honest, I doubt it's your intention but it's really coming off as you not taking this particularly seriously. I've had enough of left-wing parties throwing minority voices under the bus at the first opportunity, that's why I left the loving Labour party.

I’ve only been trying to relay what I see of the situation, and in retrospect yeah, I’ve not been taking it seriously enough. It initially seemed like a nuclear escalation of a minor issue of process but I didn’t stop to think about how the levels of persecution that some minorities are under would leave them to fear for what they’d thought was a safe haven. Really sorry.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

How are you getting that from his post? Things never got past ‘talking on social media’ stages. You didn’t leave labour because of the mere possibility that Keir’s regime was maybe might be poo poo.

Edit: well this is awkward. To be clear I’m focusing on the perception that he wasn’t taking it seriously. I appreciate that the situation is tense and that this country is a dumpster fire of TERFs and worse.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 13, 2020

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

The free-to-play propaganda game America's Army https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59mAtrmEGA that released on the 4th of July following the 9/11 attacks increased enrollment into the US military enough that the game is still being supported over a decade later, it has absolutely led to war crimes happening

If it was routine and common for people to kill for fun, then trends in mass entertainment media would no doubt influence who and how they killed. In reality, the kind of serial killer who genuinely kills for entertainment are vanishingly rare. So long as that stays the case, there is nothing to influence, so whether it hypothetically would or wouldn’t is irrelevant.

In contrast, people kill for political reasons in mass numbers, with a lot of decade-by-decade, country-by-country variation. So what is popular and successful in political media has a lot more potential to do harm, or indeed good. Politics matters. Whether any particular tactic like censorship will be effective is a tactical discussion, and one not symmetrical with respect to right and wrong.

There are couple of intersections of those two things. One is where special forces units (recently the Australian SAS), who are supposed to be killing people for political reasons, sometimes slip out of political control and kill for fun.

The other is rape, which does happen at much greater numbers than non-economic, non-political murder. And so media that would tend to promote it is, these days, generally formally and informally censored. Whether or not that is an optimally effective tactic in achieving the goal of less rape is a valid discussion,; whether or not it potentially has an effect really isn’t.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Noxville posted:

I’ve only been trying to relay what I see of the situation, and in retrospect yeah, I’ve not been taking it seriously enough. It initially seemed like a nuclear escalation of a minor issue of process but I didn’t stop to think about how the levels of persecution that some minorities are under would leave them to fear for what they’d thought was a safe haven. Really sorry.

Before I even offered support let alone joined I asked and was assured that they rejected TERFs entirely.
So imagine how I felt when the party leader no less said he wouldn't even no platform Nazis so unless he considers Nazis lesser than TERFs (which is a massive red flag to begin with) that is going directly against the assurances which got me to join in the first place.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Well, that's a shame re: the NIP. I was debating joining but I'll hold off and see how they handle this.

Hopefully they can learn where they hosed up and actually make a sincere retraction. If they don't, I doubt the party has legs.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rumda posted:

Really because last night he told me he had been kicked out of the committee

He's still secretary.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Regarde Aduck posted:

How are you getting that from his post? Things never got past ‘talking on social media’ stages. You didn’t leave labour because of the mere possibility that Keir’s regime was maybe might be poo poo.

I left the second his election was confirmed because I knew it would be because I can recognise red flags.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Welp

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1338067295382466560?s=19

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Edit: well this is awkward. To be clear I’m focusing on the perception that he wasn’t taking it seriously. I appreciate that the situation is tense and that this country is a dumpster fire of TERFs and worse.

I left Labour when Keir put a TERF as his pick for the NEC so yeah actually it was pretty much on the mere possibility (admittedly on a backdrop of transphobia being poo poo under Corbyn too)

I'm going off all the posts he made in the thread about it so far, it comes off as someone who doesn't want to admit that there's a bad smell coming off of this because the rest of the party suits him fine.

I appreciate the apology, I'm just side-eyeing anyone who's immediately going to bat for them without any attempt to hold them to account; this should be the sort of situation where a statement/apology? should be made (and then not deleted afterwards!) ASAP and people in here that give a poo poo about minority voices should be asking why the gently caress this got so out of hand to kick the equalities person rather than immediately trying to justify it - it very well might've been justified, but the fact remains if you've massively upset your equalities rep, you probably hosed up.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
She was also a co founder and the designer of most of the parties branding

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Does the NIP accept members who might be interested in the parties other positions but don't agree with an independent north?

A lot of big fans of the flag here too.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Does the NIP accept members who might be interested in the parties other positions but don't agree with an independent north?

If you want to pay subs then knock yourself out, join for your love of vexillology

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I feel like joining the northern independence party but disagreeing with northern independence might be a bit of a waste of time

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kustomkarkommando posted:

I feel like joining the northern independence party but disagreeing with northern independence might be a bit of a waste of time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

update on that article by rod liddle admitting he's a nonce

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1338124382397493251?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone seen Jezza's announcement yet? Looked on his FB and couldn't see anything.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone seen Jezza's announcement yet? Looked on his FB and couldn't see anything.
probably launching this https://thecorbynproject.com/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The problem with hoping the left has learnt it's lessons is the electoral or parliamentary left are subjected to entirely different pressures and incentives than "the left"

Also: the Corbyn project lol

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also: the Corbyn project lol
naming it after Jebmy Cobyrm does seem like a fantastic way to immediately provoke accusations of both a messiah complex and inherent antisemitism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It appears to be called the "project for peace and justice" which raises questions of why that URL.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
^^ option one: trying to boil piss; option two: they didn't think it through when registering the domain

yep, here we are
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1338137725552177153

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Might be a temporary thing to use the corbyns name recognition.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Corbyn trying to secure his legacy smdh

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
It's a shame the desire for peace and the desire for justice, are increasingly at odds.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Colossus: The Corbyn Project. An AI the size of a mountain used to plan the growth of the perfect marrow.

Starmer expels the marrow for alleged antisemitism.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hitler TWOuth? Corbyn launches "Careful Now" campaign in sickening antisemitic attack

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
how have they not registered either projectforpeaceandjustice.co.uk or peaceandjusticeproject.co.uk ? poor

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

haven't looked into it at all yet but initially optimistic about the paj proj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1338165143449051139?s=20