Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I recall, the elves knew when Sauron was about to pull this poo poo and enslave them and took off their rings, and it does not seem unreasonable that they suddenly heard that Annatar dude saying "THREE RINGS FOR ELF ETC." and someone wrote it down. It is even possible they took a minute to realize what was going on and get their rings off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right

I think tho it’s pretty clear it’s Gandalf’s translation into Westron

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nessus posted:

If I recall, the elves knew when Sauron was about to pull this poo poo and enslave them and took off their rings, and it does not seem unreasonable that they suddenly heard that Annatar dude saying "THREE RINGS FOR ELF ETC." and someone wrote it down. It is even possible they took a minute to realize what was going on and get their rings off.

Gandalf the Grey posted:

Out of the Black Years come the words that the Smiths of Eregion heard, and knew that they had been betrayed

So yeah, they heard. "Hey, Annatar's doing something new with Rings, wonder wh- OH gently caress ME!"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Nessus posted:

The "Three rings for the Elven-kings" verse cannot pre-date the creation of the One, nor can it have been part of the spell of the One's creation, because the whole point of Sauron's ring project was to use the rings he'd taught them to make to create a backdoor into the minds of the Elves. His plan was that all the rings would belong to elves. Humans and dwarves didn't come onto his radar until after that plan had failed, and Sauron had slaughtered the ring-makers and recovered the 16 rings made with his direct input.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Anshu posted:

The "Three rings for the Elven-kings" verse cannot pre-date the creation of the One, nor can it have been part of the spell of the One's creation, because the whole point of Sauron's ring project was to use the rings he'd taught them to make to create a backdoor into the minds of the Elves. His plan was that all the rings would belong to elves. Humans and dwarves didn't come onto his radar until after that plan had failed, and Sauron had slaughtered the ring-makers and recovered the 16 rings made with his direct input.

Wait. Where are you getting this information?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I am re-reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time in about 20 years, and having a good time of it. A lot of my memory has been scrambled by the films and it's fun to take it on its own terms. I'd forgotten that this book is about 30% landscape descriptions. You often end up with a clearer picture of where the characters are walking through than the characters themselves.

I also appreciate how differentiated the hobbits personalities are, especially near the beginning - Pippin is a young idiot, but Merry is extremely practical and helpful, at least through the old forest. Again, the movies had sort of merged them into a hobbity blob in my brain.

Was Galadriel a pre-existing character, or did Tolkien back-port her into the Silmarillion after he wrote Lord of the Rings?

I also wonder what it was like to read this book before the Silmarillion was published. (Or let alone having internet wikis to look everything up on). There's a lot in the appendices, but I'm still not sure how anyone could figure out who Elbereth is short of writing JRRT himself a letter.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Galadriel was created not only specifically for Lord of the Rings, but specifically for the fellowship’s arrival at Lothlorien. Hence her lack of an appearance or even mention at the council of Elrond.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I am re-reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time in about 20 years, and having a good time of it. A lot of my memory has been scrambled by the films and it's fun to take it on its own terms. I'd forgotten that this book is about 30% landscape descriptions. You often end up with a clearer picture of where the characters are walking through than the characters themselves.

I also appreciate how differentiated the hobbits personalities are, especially near the beginning - Pippin is a young idiot, but Merry is extremely practical and helpful, at least through the old forest. Again, the movies had sort of merged them into a hobbity blob in my brain.

Was Galadriel a pre-existing character, or did Tolkien back-port her into the Silmarillion after he wrote Lord of the Rings?

I also wonder what it was like to read this book before the Silmarillion was published. (Or let alone having internet wikis to look everything up on). There's a lot in the appendices, but I'm still not sure how anyone could figure out who Elbereth is short of writing JRRT himself a letter.

the old forest is the best part especially because it feels intimate and like a bunch of friends going on an adventure instead of something epic with noble brows and fair hands and getting hewn, et cetera

the black riders work really well as sort of a vague background threat, they never actually appear during this part but you feel like they still might or at least that there's a pressure on the boys to try to keep hidden, which puts you very close to them as you're reading

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This criticism always makes me like :nallears: because it seems like such a strange thing to get hung up on (like we don't criticize movies for spending time on nice establishing shots, plus what, would you rather have pages and pages about what someone's dress looks like); but in light of the Old Forest chapter post above it really takes some work to properly picture the kind of landscape features he's describing, and how they force the plot forward. Those big diagonal gullies that seem to be positioned directly across their direction of travel, forcing them to climb painfully up and down embankments and then get stuck in river bottoms, and then eventually taking the easy route following the stream bed right into Old Man Willow's trap, and so on. But (at least in this case) it's not so much that the landscape description is there just to fill space or be indulgent, it's turning the land and the forest into a character in its own right, with its own motivations and agency. Plus you (as a reader) have to be pretty familiar with walking in the woods — not just following hiking trails, but bushwacking through the wilderness — to really appreciate the difficulty of what's being described. I wonder if that whole style is part of a writing tradition that Tolkien was kind of a vestigial relic of at the time, and nobody bothers to do it like that anymore just because it seems so alien (as evidenced by how many readers find it so weird and remarkable as to be off-putting).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

This criticism always makes me like :nallears: because it seems like such a strange thing to get hung up on (like we don't criticize movies for spending time on nice establishing shots, plus what, would you rather have pages and pages about what someone's dress looks like); but in light of the Old Forest chapter post above it really takes some work to properly picture the kind of landscape features he's describing, and how they force the plot forward. Those big diagonal gullies that seem to be positioned directly across their direction of travel, forcing them to climb painfully up and down embankments and then get stuck in river bottoms, and then eventually taking the easy route following the stream bed right into Old Man Willow's trap, and so on. But (at least in this case) it's not so much that the landscape description is there just to fill space or be indulgent, it's turning the land and the forest into a character in its own right, with its own motivations and agency. Plus you (as a reader) have to be pretty familiar with walking in the woods — not just following hiking trails, but bushwacking through the wilderness — to really appreciate the difficulty of what's being described. I wonder if that whole style is part of a writing tradition that Tolkien was kind of a vestigial relic of at the time, and nobody bothers to do it like that anymore just because it seems so alien (as evidenced by how many readers find it so weird and remarkable as to be off-putting).

The Old Forest chapter really struck me on my last read-through for precisely these reasons. I'd been spending a lot of time bushwhacking through the mountains of New Mexico, where at any given time you might come across a 200 ft deep gully and have to take a huge elevation drop, or just run into impassible brush or a godawful scree slope. The landscape descriptions popped out at me, but in a good way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i often go on long distance hikes through forest and stuff and the old forest bit really feels like that

my least favorite part is probably rohan i guess, because it feels least like it makes sense in the overall world, theyre just a bunch of standard viking/saxon type of people randomly dropped into the story so that there can be Epic Battles and soldiers and horses and so on, i prefer the frodo/sam bit because, again, it's intimate again and has a general lack of men

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 12, 2020

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Or figure out why the ram built to break Minas Tirith's gate was called Grond. I'm pretty sure I squeaked out loud with delight at that.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This has been discussed several times in the past, in summary:

1) The landscape descriptions are actually fairly succinct and beautifully written. I think 30% is overdoing it big time if you actually ran an analysis post FotR

2) The setting is 'low magic' so everyone is going around on foot or steed rather than jumping through portals as a convenient device

3) The book is about the world just as much as the characters

4) Open up any acclaimed fantasy series like ASoIAF and you'll find equally long and more mundane landscape descriptions, except often without the justification they're often character-driven stories

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Data Graham posted:

perc2 posted:

This has been discussed several times in the past, in summary:

1) The landscape descriptions are actually fairly succinct and beautifully written. I think 30% is overdoing it big time if you actually ran an analysis post FotR

2) The setting is 'low magic' so everyone is going around on foot or steed rather than jumping through portals as a convenient device

3) The book is about the world just as much as the characters

4) Open up any acclaimed fantasy series like ASoIAF and you'll find equally long and more mundane landscape descriptions, except often without the justification they're often character-driven stories

I didn't mean to come across as critical of the landscape descriptions! They are very pleasant to read and make the book very distinctive. Just noting that I don't recall it appearing to this degree in much else that I've read, and doesn't appear to have been copied by Tolkien's many, many imitators. Perhaps there's some older vein of travelogue literature I'm not familiar with.

Shibawanko posted:

my least favorite part is probably rohan i guess, because it feels least like it makes sense in the overall world, theyre just a bunch of standard viking/saxon type of people randomly dropped into the story so that there can be Epic Battles and soldiers and horses and so on, i prefer the frodo/sam bit because, again, it's intimate again and has a general lack of men

I like Rohan, but Book III does mark a pretty noticeable shift in tone. Some of it is just leaving the hobbit perspective, but also Professor T letting his Anglo-Saxon freak flag fly (and combing them with steppe riders). Just these gangs of dudes that want nothing more than to ride into battle and die a glorious death. You could almost excerpt Book III as as standalone story about a group of warriors who help a kingdom defend itself from an evil wizard. Come to think of it, that's not too far off from what Jackson did in the second movie.

Other random thoughts - there is a lot suggesting that the world is bigger and more complicated than the Valar/Maiar/Elf/Ent/Dwarf/Man/Hobbit/Orc taxonomy (like Treebeard's lists) that appears to describe the world on the surface. Bombadil, of course, but also Gandalf talking about nameless things underneath Moria that even Sauron doesn't know about. Constantly teasing bigger things just outside the frame is a trick he pulls over and over, but dang is he good at it.

Gimli strikes me as a guy who's never been outside the dwarf-kingdoms before, or met many non-dwarves. He's tough and smart but also has as narrow a perspective on things as the hobbits do in his way. At least until Lorien where he starts to open up.

Anyway, I finished Book III today. I'm going to have limited reading time coming up but I'm looking forward to Frodo/Sam/Gollum, and in particular if I'll love Sam as much as I remember. He has a pretty minimal presence in Fellowship.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Very well, "criticism, if criticism you call it" :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The old forest is in fact a character so the landscape is important

I mean landscapes in lotr are always important but even more so there

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

VanSandman posted:

Wait. Where are you getting this information?

The Silmarillion, "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age":

quote:

Seeing the desolation of the world, Sauron said in his heart that the Valar,
having overthrown Morgoth, had again forgotten Middle-earth; and his pride
grew apace. [...]

Men he found the easiest to sway of all the peoples of the Earth; but long he
sought to persuade the Elves to his service, for he knew that the Firstborn had
the greater power; and he went far and wide among them, and his hue was still
that of one both fair and wise. [...]

It was in Eregion that the counsels of Sauron were most gladly received, for in
that land the Noldor desired ever to increase the skill and subtlety of their works. [...]
Therefore they hearkened to Sauron, and they learned of him many things, for his knowledge
was great. In those days the smiths of Ost-in-Edhil surpassed all that they had
contrived before; and they took thought, and they made Rings of Power. But
Sauron guided their labours, and he was aware of all that they did; for his desire
was to set a bond upon the Elves and to bring them under his vigilance.

Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule
all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it
and to last only so long as it too should last. And much of the strength and will
of Sauron passed into that One Ring; for the power of the Elven-rings was very
great, and that which should govern them must be a thing of surpassing potency;
and Sauron forged it in the Mountain of Fire in the Land of Shadow. And while
he wore the One Ring he could perceive all the things that were done by means
of the lesser rings, and he could see and govern the very thoughts of those that
wore them.

But the Elves were not so lightly to be caught. As soon as Sauron set the One
Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived
that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought. Then in anger and
fear they took off their rings. But he, finding that he was betrayed and that the
Elves were not deceived, was filled with wrath; and he came against them with
open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the
Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and
counsel. But the Elves fled from him; and three of their rings they saved, and
bore them away, and hid them.

Now these were the Three that had last been made, and they possessed the
greatest powers. Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, they were named, the Rings of Fire,
and of Water, and of Air, set with ruby and adamant and sapphire; and of all the
Elven-rings Sauron most desired to possess them, for those who had them in
their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of
the world. But Sauron could not discover them, for they were given into the
hands of the Wise, who concealed them and never again used them openly while
Sauron kept the Ruling Ring. Therefore the Three remained unsullied, for they
were forged by Celebrimbor alone, and the hand of Sauron had never touched
them; yet they also were subject to the One.

From that time war never ceased between Sauron and the Elves; and Eregion
was laid waste, and Celebrimbor slain, and the doors of Moria were shut. In that
time the stronghold and refuge of Imladris, that Men called Rivendell, was
founded by Elrond Half-elven; and long it endured. But Sauron gathered into his
hands all the remaining Rings of Power; and he dealt them out to the other
peoples of Middle-earth, hoping thus to bring under his sway all those that
desired secret power beyond the measure of their kind. Seven rings he gave to
the Dwarves; but to Men he gave nine, for Men proved in this matter as in others
the readiest to his will. And all those rings that he governed he perverted, the
more easily since he had a part in their making, and they were accursed, and they
betrayed in the end all those that used them.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I didn't mean to come across as critical of the landscape descriptions! They are very pleasant to read and make the book very distinctive. Just noting that I don't recall it appearing to this degree in much else that I've read, and doesn't appear to have been copied by Tolkien's many, many imitators. Perhaps there's some older vein of travelogue literature I'm not familiar with.

I like Rohan, but Book III does mark a pretty noticeable shift in tone. Some of it is just leaving the hobbit perspective, but also Professor T letting his Anglo-Saxon freak flag fly (and combing them with steppe riders). Just these gangs of dudes that want nothing more than to ride into battle and die a glorious death. You could almost excerpt Book III as as standalone story about a group of warriors who help a kingdom defend itself from an evil wizard. Come to think of it, that's not too far off from what Jackson did in the second movie.

No worries, apologies if I got too defensive! There are some other shifts in tone I notice, I think Weathertop or there abouts the narration takes on a much graver/poetic tone than The Hobbit-esque affectation of the start. I honestly don't know if this was Tolkien realising as he wrote that the scope of the book should be more grandiose; certainly by the end of RotK it's comprable to Silmarillion's prose. I think there was a bit of a retcon about "shift in who's writing the book" as a cover throughout but can't remember the exact points.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Olsen makes a big deal about “oh well you see all the forsoothly parts are where it’s being written by Findegil, King’s Writer”, but really how seriously can you take that

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Data Graham posted:

Olsen makes a big deal about “oh well you see all the forsoothly parts are where it’s being written by Findegil, King’s Writer”, but really how seriously can you take that

It's how I read it. I'm not familiar with Olsen but I did come to the conclusion that the conceit of the narrative being assembled from disparate sources was strong - hobbit focused sections are very different from ones with Aragorn as the main character, for example.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fun fantasy book youtuber guy Daniel Greene does a tier list of Tolkien covers. Thought I'd share because there's some neat ones on there I've never seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvu33Qjy-Y

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Galadriel was created not only specifically for Lord of the Rings, but specifically for the fellowship’s arrival at Lothlorien. Hence her lack of an appearance or even mention at the council of Elrond.

I can imagine JRRT chuckling Oxfordishly at the oldest character in the book also being the newest character in the book.

Data Graham posted:

"Forsoothly" is an excellent word (not quite hewn-tier though.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can’t take credit for it unfortunately, I attribute it to a friend who was making these arguments to me in the 90s

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
He likes "fell" a lot too.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OctaviusBeaver posted:

He likes "fell" a lot too.

"...and nursed it with fell meats"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fell meats are the tastiest

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I prefer medium-fell personally, fell is just a bit too overcooked

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

“Fell meats” = steak with ketchup

perc2
May 16, 2020

There's a cool list of uncommon words he used here also: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Uncommon_words. I've always been a fan of "dwimmer" as it has a really interesting history as a word and finds its way into interesting places but 99% of people would not recognise it, even if they played Elder Scrolls games. Other cool words: "fain", "gorcrow", "tarry", "wold"

perc2
May 16, 2020

Also got me thinking about how he uses "doom" to mean fate or prophecy more than just the modern interpretation as "demise"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

perc2 posted:

There's a cool list of uncommon words he used here also: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Uncommon_words. I've always been a fan of "dwimmer" as it has a really interesting history as a word and finds its way into interesting places but 99% of people would not recognise it, even if they played Elder Scrolls games. Other cool words: "fain", "gorcrow", "tarry", "wold"

This list looks kinda funny to me, I'm guessing because I'm from the UK. 'abide'? 'aghast'? 'amiss'? 'assuage'? Are those words weird in the US?

perc2
May 16, 2020

The list is up to personal interpretation. There will be words in there that seem natural to you, especially as a Tolkien fan, yeah.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I always thought a great companion while you read Tolkien (especially first timers) would be a visual guide of landscape features. It’s probably why so many people struggle with his in-depth landscape descriptions. If you don’t know what a dell is, or downs, or a gully or whatever, it is hard to picture.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I always thought a great companion while you read Tolkien (especially first timers) would be a visual guide of landscape features. It’s probably why so many people struggle with his in-depth landscape descriptions. If you don’t know what a dell is, or downs, or a gully or whatever, it is hard to picture.

Older British fantasists have a particular boner for this kind of thing. Ever seen a ghyll? How about an ings or an heugh?

perc2
May 16, 2020

Posting from my windy tumulus rn

perc2 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 13, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

perc2 posted:

Also got me thinking about how he uses "doom" to mean fate or prophecy more than just the modern interpretation as "demise"

I think that he used it more in the original meaning of the word, ie. 'judgement'.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

"...and nursed it with fell meats"

Meat that has fallen on the floor of a kebab shop.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"fell meats" = boiled ribs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how between:

fell, adj: eldritch, uncanny
fell, n: hill
fell, n: costume, disguise

modern (American) readers get an infinity of meanings from Tolkien that they've never heard of before, for an otherwise super common word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm positive I've never heard fell used to mean costume.