Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

holy moly i never seen this one before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACJm7f0Ekc

dont watch the one with the mill above, this one is better

Well, technically Pekka & Pätkä are Pekka and the Shortie, you can see the trailer of their "As park watchmen" in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmxPTNmGwuY

Pekka is the one with the flower in his hat, the Shortie is not shown, the other guy is the housemaster they constantly keep pranking.

Surprisingly, the same idea and sort of the same setup. In the Nordic countries, in the new format? It might be more common than what you think of.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b02TCZPsiyY here is one with the Shortie; he is the one who escapes upstairs.

A fact: Shorty was an alcoholic who killed his career after these movies and decided to hang himself at one one-star motel at Tampere city center, the Pekka actor who was also a singer became a spokesperson for the first hypermarket chain in Finland. Here is one of his list hits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QTXqTCcoNI.

A story that has a Finnish, indeed. Pun intended.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Der Kyhe posted:

In the Nordic countries, in the new format? It might be more common than what you think of.

hell yeah thanks for the clips. btw in that second clip, is the guy who comes in and gets shoved out by everyone saying "criminal"? (as in he is police) (0:11 or so)

probably it's as old as time itself, just archetypes being idiots, perhaps a straight man to play up against

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

hell yeah thanks for the clips. btw in that second clip, is the guy who comes in and gets shoved out by everyone saying "criminal"? (as in he is police) (0:11 or so)

probably it's as old as time itself, just archetypes being idiots, perhaps a straight man to play up against

He is not, he is the "house janitor", vicevært, who is the secondary antagonist for almost all of those movies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Der Kyhe posted:

He is not, he is the "house janitor", vicevært, who is the secondary antagonist for almost all of those movies.

ah gotcha

lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PYF nordic fun facts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PYF nordic fun facts

From to the Copenhagen saddlers' guild rules of 1460:

quote:

He who spews or similar in the guild house or in the yard or acts indecently with his behind* or calls someone a scoundrel or a thief or a traitor, pays one barrel of beer to the brothers and one mark's [coin worth of] wax for the mass [candles], the king's court, and the city's justice.

* my translation, "teer sig ukvemmelig med sin Ende"... probably it means making GBS threads, since spewing is barfing

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Dec 11, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Providing a barrel of beer to the brothers seems like it would lead to additional spewing.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Der Kyhe posted:

We have Pekka and Pätkä (Tall and The Shortie), those started around fifties but gained popularity later in the sixties. And were also a comic during the same time, something akin to Fingerpori from which we get the Viperless Milk.

The comic strip started in 1925 btw.

Der Kyhe posted:

A fact: Shorty was an alcoholic who killed his career after these movies and decided to hang himself at one one-star motel at Tampere city center.

Not quite a fact, Masa Niemi was an alcoholic, but he killed himself by sleeping-pill overdose when the film company informed him there would be no more "Pekka ja Pätkä" -films.

Loosely translated, his suicide note (scribbled on the back of a receipt from the hotel bar), reads: "it's a good life, always being the loser. Goodbye. -M. Niemi".

Shades of Pagliacci I think.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Foxfire_ posted:

Providing a barrel of beer to the brothers seems like it would lead to additional spewing.

i assumed it wouldnt be on the same night, but the Roskilde blacksmith guild laws of 1641 has the apparently standard "spewing in the house/yard costs 1 barrel", it also says but if you spew on the way home, thats a quarter barrel

that guy's going for a refill

100% frathouse rules

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Dec 12, 2020

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Carthag Tuek posted:

Olsenbanden are Danish, not Finnish! :mad: (14 movies in all, first one in 1968)

Wtf this is violence

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pekka was published in a co-operative paper. Welp that's it thank you for reading marg bar Amrrika.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nuclear War posted:

Wtf this is violence

not my fault you came second

3D Megadoodoo posted:

marg bar Amrrika.
thank you i will read more of this please

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pookah posted:

I used to have this very interesting book about life as a domestic servant in late-victorian Britain onwards to the mid-twentieth century:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-below-stairs-Domestic-Victorian/dp/0684155133

It was compiled in the '70s so the author was able to meet people who'd been servants back before the First World War. My copy vanished years ago, unfortunately, but it was a really interesting read, and yeah, the War completely upended the old social order.
By the twenties it was becoming harder and harder to get domestic staff - by that time, there was a definite stigma about being a servant, as opposed to working in a shop or a factory. People who in the past would have expected to have a cook and a maid were reduced to maybe having a daily woman to come in and do the cleaning each morning, and if she was reliable they'd count themselves extremely lucky.

So what did the War do to the socio-economics /demographics that changed so much? I do know that the big estates became much harder to maintain over time because of the loss of manpower due to a literal loss of life for instance. But they were still employing servants for decades more.

And speaking of stigmas: in my family after most emigrated from Scotland to Australia just before the war one of the elder sisters stayed behind as a domestic servant but she apparently got knocked up by the son of a Lord and came out here in the 1920's with the child whereupon she was snubbed by half her sisters which might explain why half the family ended up in western Sydney while the other half remained on the southern NSW coast. People were very touchy about such things then.

This didn't seem to get through to my grandmother when, as a Presbyterian she married my rather Catholic grandfather in the midst of a very sectarian period of Australian history in the 1930's! After his accidental death in the 1950's, his brother made sure he was buried in the family plot in the Catholic section of Rookwood Cemetery, and my Nan rests with her family on the coast in the Bulleen Cemetary. So their families had the last word :(

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

My brother’s gf is Australian and her grandparents are members of a sect that’s so rabidly anti-Catholic that they must never know that her granddaughter is dating a dirty papist :v:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

My brother’s gf is Australian and her grandparents are members of a sect that’s so rabidly anti-Catholic that they must never know that her granddaughter is dating a dirty papist :v:

idk if its just because im an american who was raised fairly areligiously but the idea of people actually still giving a poo poo over whos catholic or whatever flavor of protestant or whatever in the year of our lord 2020 is absolutely insane nutso bonkers to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kanine posted:

idk if its just because im an american who was raised fairly areligiously but the idea of people actually still giving a poo poo over whos catholic or whatever flavor of protestant or whatever in the year of our lord 2020 is absolutely insane nutso bonkers to me

This is extra funny given there was a kerfuffle over how 'No Religion' was the largest group in the last Australian census. (doesn't stop the ruling PM being part of a fundie sect, but hey)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is extra funny given there was a kerfuffle over how 'No Religion' was the largest group in the last Australian census. (doesn't stop the ruling PM being part of a fundie sect, but hey)

It was incredibly important what sect of Christianity you belonged to for a long period of Australian history and took a long time to die out even as general social attitudes secularized increasingly more rapidly from the 1970's onward. Yet in my memory of childhood anyone not generally protestant was viewed with suspicion for reasons never clearly specified.

In response, religious political power (particularly the Catholic and Anglican strains which were the most dominant sects) reorganized to target the political class to maintain its grip, which is why most of our politicians are educated at private schools with some kind of religious leaning and now we have a fundie PM indicating a new player has arrived. Interesting times.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ewe2 posted:

So what did the War do to the socio-economics /demographics that changed so much? I do know that the big estates became much harder to maintain over time because of the loss of manpower due to a literal loss of life for instance. But they were still employing servants for decades more.

And speaking of stigmas: in my family after most emigrated from Scotland to Australia just before the war one of the elder sisters stayed behind as a domestic servant but she apparently got knocked up by the son of a Lord and came out here in the 1920's with the child whereupon she was snubbed by half her sisters which might explain why half the family ended up in western Sydney while the other half remained on the southern NSW coast. People were very touchy about such things then.

This didn't seem to get through to my grandmother when, as a Presbyterian she married my rather Catholic grandfather in the midst of a very sectarian period of Australian history in the 1930's! After his accidental death in the 1950's, his brother made sure he was buried in the family plot in the Catholic section of Rookwood Cemetery, and my Nan rests with her family on the coast in the Bulleen Cemetary. So their families had the last word :(
I imagine it was the increasing quantity, quality and status of industrial jobs, with War War 1 accelerating the process by killing a lot of working-class folks (which, grimly, tends to increase wages) and possibly by providing temporary opportunities to women who were not eager to go back to domestic servitude after. I assume that the aristos were unwilling or unable to offer general pay raises, so they downsized staff, even if they still kept some.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

ewe2 posted:

It was incredibly important what sect of Christianity you belonged to for a long period of Australian history and took a long time to die out even as general social attitudes secularized increasingly more rapidly from the 1970's onward. Yet in my memory of childhood anyone not generally protestant was viewed with suspicion for reasons never clearly specified.

In response, religious political power (particularly the Catholic and Anglican strains which were the most dominant sects) reorganized to target the political class to maintain its grip, which is why most of our politicians are educated at private schools with some kind of religious leaning and now we have a fundie PM indicating a new player has arrived. Interesting times.

You might not like it but it is a Demonstrable Fact [citation needed] that the economy will always be better under Jesus, the notorious venture capitalist. Have you accepted Jezza as your slum Lord and Super Saver?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Nessus posted:

I assume that the aristos were unwilling or unable to offer general pay raises, so they downsized staff, even if they still kept some.

During WW1 (and again in WW2, but moreso the first time around) the various governments actually imposed limits on how many staff and groundskeepers the nobility could employ, with the rest called up for the military. They would even send inspectors round to conduct time-and-motion studies and essentially press-gang "unneeded" estate labour. There's an anecdote Stephen Fry told on QI about the Duke of somewhere or other being told he can "release" one of his pastry chefs and quipping "Can't a fellow have a biscuit?", which...did not say what he thought it did. And of course, the military taught them a trade and self-respect, whilst giving them a brutal demonstration that the class system didn't mean poo poo against incoming machinegun fire.

Expecting those people to just walk back into their jobs after the war (assuming their jobs still existed) fundamentally misunderstood what those people had been through. It's easy to forget just how degrading and humiliating domestic service could be, with long hours of physical labour and poor wages (although it did have decent job security). Many soldiers in both wars are quite adamant in their diaries that gently caress Their Old Job, They're Not Going Back.

Loxbourne has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Dec 13, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nessus posted:

I imagine it was the increasing quantity, quality and status of industrial jobs, with War War 1 accelerating the process by killing a lot of working-class folks (which, grimly, tends to increase wages) and possibly by providing temporary opportunities to women who were not eager to go back to domestic servitude after. I assume that the aristos were unwilling or unable to offer general pay raises, so they downsized staff, even if they still kept some.

Not sure if Downton Abbey is accurate but the post-war seasons have a continuing trend of less and less staff with the Earl mentioning in ~1925 that even with their staff size half what it was the wage bill was 3x what they paid pre-war. The cost and burden of maintaining noble estates is frequently mentioned and multiple times friends/relatives of the Family are shown to be selling off everything since they can't afford it anymore.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

pentyne posted:

Not sure if Downton Abbey is accurate but the post-war seasons have a continuing trend of less and less staff with the Earl mentioning in ~1925 that even with their staff size half what it was the wage bill was 3x what they paid pre-war. The cost and burden of maintaining noble estates is frequently mentioned and multiple times friends/relatives of the Family are shown to be selling off everything since they can't afford it anymore.

Downton Abbey is a well-researched romanticisation. The showrunner is infamous in the UK for being something of a suckup to the upper classes, so he presents a very polished and toned-down depiction. It's pretty clear from accounts of those who were alive at the time that Downton Abbey is very much the theme park version.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A running trend in fiction written at the time is that estate taxes aka 'death duties' were bigger than they had been in the past, and with so many young men dying in the War, plus the 'flu, you could have an estate being inherited several times in a few years, with taxes having to be paid each time. Another common theme was the collapse in the value of agricultural land - most big estates got their income from farming and that apparently became a lot less profitable. Land-rich, cash-poor was a common complaint.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Downton Abbey is a well-researched romanticisation. The showrunner is infamous in the UK for being something of a suckup to the upper classes, so he presents a very polished and toned-down depiction. It's pretty clear from accounts of those who were alive at the time that Downton Abbey is very much the theme park version.

The original Upstairs, Downstairs (which Downton plagiarized a good bit) was a bit grittier, though still romanticized, moreso as the series progressed. The first season was occasionally pretty dark about servant-aristocrat relationships. The main aristocrat family is shown as being good people, but clueless about what really went on below stairs. Postwar isn't as well handled, but does have a better grip on the upheaval than Downton.

(And while I'm here, I highly recommend the Upstairs, Downstairs' season about World War I.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah the whole "proud and dignified" servants of a Great Family kind of gives it away as everyone is always mentioning how grateful and lucky they are to work in the Big House. Even then it looks like a insanely demanding labor job where the only benefit is theoretically you can save for retirement since you're being housed/fed and the estate gives you a place to live when/if you manage to "retire"

The whole "you won't get a reference" is also a gross power imbalance as that means someone literally could not find a job in their field if fired/sacked. You have to be willfully ignorant to not notice the entire system depends on the servants "knowing their place" and the idea that the upper classes are the only people with honor and integrity and should be deferred to always.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Dec 13, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kanine posted:

UK here, and my parents are extremely atheist, and so religion was never a thing when I was growing up in England, so moving to Scotland and meeting people who had to do things like marry their partner in private ceremonies because their respective families would come to blows over religious differences was crazy. I mean it's not all of Scotland, but it's certainly something you can encounter.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There's also North Ireland. It's pretty amazing that the figure of the IRA terrorist was such a mainstay of fiction until the 1990s and disappeared from the public imagination pretty much instantly after the Good Friday agreement. That doesn't mean that the sectarian divide disappeared in reality, but hey, a step towards the better, in any case.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

There's also North Ireland. It's pretty amazing that the figure of the IRA terrorist was such a mainstay of fiction until the 1990s and disappeared from the public imagination pretty much instantly after the Good Friday agreement. That doesn't mean that the sectarian divide disappeared in reality, but hey, a step towards the better, in any case.

Yeah except in American fiction they were and still are lovable rogues (who like to bomb children but that's all in the past).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean America still does that and we are mostly presented as a good thing.

At least the IRA was trying to accomolish something

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah except in American fiction they were and still are lovable rogues (who like to bomb children but that's all in the past).

America had a really dumb romanticised view of the IRA for a LONG time. Catholics and Irish Americans in places like Boston were openly fund-raising for the IRA under the misguided belief that they were providing aid to a group of freedom fighters.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

For modern americans struggling to understand the old catholic/protestant animosity, it's the same as the republican/democrat divide of now. As in, the same.
It’s mind bending when you hear the same language from 500 years ago repeated. There's room for a discussion here about the 1990's sum total contribution to humanity being the Re-branding campaign perfected, but it makes me depressed.

Also, about The War. Don't forget that the roaring 20's had a mother fucker of a drug problem that came directly from the war. If you thought WW2 had ill-concieved government facilitated drug use for frontline soldiers, then WW1 did it on purpose and 100x worse. Add to that that a lot of people who came back from that war had their view of life fundamentally turned. History simply cascaded from there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was a pretty big deal when Kennedy became president because he was Catholic. Some conservatives were legitimately worried he'd answer only to the Pope and the US becoming a part of the Papacy or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most of my friends are americans (the US kind, worst of all) and I’m not sure any of them can identify Ireland on a map or know what IRA stands for or why anyone would have an opinion about it. In fuckin NYC. Asking someone about the IRA is a good way to identify foreigners with strong opinions about how americans are all dumb plastic paddies

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kanine posted:

tbf a lot of that was cleared by noted catholic JFK. You know the poo poo about "Barack THE MUSLIM Obama"? Imagine that but John F "THE PAPIST" Kennedy and you have a pretty accurate picture of late 50s america

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
also why the gently caress wouldn't americans support the IRA? We have a common origin: hating the english

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5ORK8RLWk

"And do you deny to any man the right he's guaranteed
to be elected president no matter what his creed?
It's promised in the Bill of Rights to which we must be true"

It seems so quaint, but imagine an Obama campaign song had some lines about "I'm not a Muslim" in them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Peanut President posted:

also why the gently caress wouldn't americans support the IRA? We have a common origin: hating the english

Handshake meme with the Irish, French, Scottish, and Americans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Americans are English.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

english are french

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos