Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

here's my setup with 7 ovens. drawer up front full of spruce logs on a hopper connected to tin pipes. that section of tin pipe connects to all 7 ovens, then a second unconnected set of tin pipes each with a conveyor attached pulls out charcoal and sends it to this barrel. there's a set of wooden pipes in the middle connecting all the ovens with pumps for each oven. the pipe runs underground delivering creosote to my 2x2x3 boiler. 7 is just enough to run it at full heat. this will become obsolete probably around late mv, but it's totally worth it until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm not really getting a good grasp on IE's electrical rules and how it works with other mods.

I have a refinery starving for ethanol (aren't we all?) because the fermenter can't keep up. The fermenter's power buffer never fills up but it does chew on potatoes and produce ethanol. At this point, I have an EnderIO transceiver hanging out near my biodiesel generator. Both the generator and transceiver are trying to supply power to this side of the base. The transceiver and the generator both have HV connectors to an HV relay. That relay in turn connects to the resonant fluxduct courtesy of an HV connector that appears to mount onto the fluxduct. I have that fluxduct running along with connectors of various sizes. It has another HV connector hanging off it along the ways to connect to the fermenter. Even this doesn't do enough and the fermenter's power buffer doesn't fill.

The power coming in from the transceiver should be more than enough to deal with it. So I can't figure out why the fermenter is mad. My next step is to just run HV all the way to the fermenter directly, but I'm trying to reduce how much I run death wires around.

What electrical level should the fermenter have to be consistently satisfied? I've found that all machines can take LV and they even seem to work okay with it--except the fermenter. Uhh that miner would also definitely puke on LV, but I haven't played with that yet. Is there some rule of thumb for when to use LV, MV, and HV?

The other side of the base is slowly losing stored power. This started when I tossed up a bunch of cloches. It's powered by a windmill and a bank of thermoelectric generators. I think I have six of them using pyrotheum and packed ice. They are connected with LV. Should I have moved that up to MV or something? I'm thinking I'm throwing away a lot of power simply from using the LV connectors.

Mildly unrelated: I have one press and one fermenter for six potato cloches and four hemp cloches. The fermenter obviously isn't keeping up but it is also not holding power. However, the press does seem to keep power but it's slowly being overwhelmed by seeds. Do I need more than one of each? Is there some alternate way to speed them up?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm not really getting a good grasp on IE's electrical rules and how it works with other mods.

I have a refinery starving for ethanol (aren't we all?) because the fermenter can't keep up. The fermenter's power buffer never fills up but it does chew on potatoes and produce ethanol. At this point, I have an EnderIO transceiver hanging out near my biodiesel generator. Both the generator and transceiver are trying to supply power to this side of the base. The transceiver and the generator both have HV connectors to an HV relay. That relay in turn connects to the resonant fluxduct courtesy of an HV connector that appears to mount onto the fluxduct. I have that fluxduct running along with connectors of various sizes. It has another HV connector hanging off it along the ways to connect to the fermenter. Even this doesn't do enough and the fermenter's power buffer doesn't fill.

The power coming in from the transceiver should be more than enough to deal with it. So I can't figure out why the fermenter is mad. My next step is to just run HV all the way to the fermenter directly, but I'm trying to reduce how much I run death wires around.

What electrical level should the fermenter have to be consistently satisfied? I've found that all machines can take LV and they even seem to work okay with it--except the fermenter. Uhh that miner would also definitely puke on LV, but I haven't played with that yet. Is there some rule of thumb for when to use LV, MV, and HV?

The other side of the base is slowly losing stored power. This started when I tossed up a bunch of cloches. It's powered by a windmill and a bank of thermoelectric generators. I think I have six of them using pyrotheum and packed ice. They are connected with LV. Should I have moved that up to MV or something? I'm thinking I'm throwing away a lot of power simply from using the LV connectors.

Mildly unrelated: I have one press and one fermenter for six potato cloches and four hemp cloches. The fermenter obviously isn't keeping up but it is also not holding power. However, the press does seem to keep power but it's slowly being overwhelmed by seeds. Do I need more than one of each? Is there some alternate way to speed them up?

In my experience, fluxducts don't play very nicely with IE connectors and will sometimes stop accepting power from them. If you don't like the HV death cables just run multiple MV power lines, and do remember that you can have multiple connectors inputting power into an MV relay.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 13, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The answer for "when is the best time to use HV wires" is when you can supply enough HV wires to replace any MV/LV wires. If you're killing yourself on HV wires though, try running them along ceilings and such?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The general schema is HV to transport power, then step down to lv or mv to power machines.

Digging into the mechanics a bit, remember that each connector has an internal buffer, and it is almost always better to go power=>battery=>connector=>transformer=>hv network=>transformer=>connector=>battery=>machine to smooth any goofy irregularities in power transmission caused by your generator not running at full capacity. Similarly, while hooking everything together is the first instinct, it is usually much easier to diagnose failures if you segment your stuff into discrete hv transport layers for each machine bank.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anias posted:

The general schema is HV to transport power, then step down to lv or mv to power machines.

There's not really any reason to do that unless you've got an existing LV grid and don't want to tear it all down to replace it with HV. HV powers everything, there's no voltage requirements like IC2.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Oh right GT:nh just uses power as tiers. Ignore the transformers then if your machines can run on pure hv. The buffering is still important.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Make an lv pump (the item not the block) and attach it to the face of a pipe touching the coke oven. Use a screw driver to switch it to input mode.

Yeah it's confusing because the pumps and conveyors have to be on the pipes because the coke ovens aren't GT blocks.
Tip to save a ton of motors: use hoppers instead of conveyors for coke ovens, they're so slow it doesn't matter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I think we're mixing up Gregtech and Immersive Engineering here, guys. :v:

For IE, just turn off power lines electrocuting you in the config, if you can access the config.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Elswyyr posted:

Tip to save a ton of motors: use hoppers instead of conveyors for coke ovens, they're so slow it doesn't matter.

Oh absolutely, the question just involved conveyors so part of the explanation was that you can use them the same way, via slapping it on an item pipe and setting it to input.

Hoppers can also connect directly to item pipes so they are perpetually useful for anything that doesn't require higher throughput. Don't forget you can craft hoppers in the assembling machine for 5 iron plates and a chest! And you can make chests with 2 planks + 2 logs!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hooplah posted:

here's my setup with 7 ovens. drawer up front full of spruce logs on a hopper connected to tin pipes. that section of tin pipe connects to all 7 ovens, then a second unconnected set of tin pipes each with a conveyor attached pulls out charcoal and sends it to this barrel. there's a set of wooden pipes in the middle connecting all the ovens with pumps for each oven. the pipe runs underground delivering creosote to my 2x2x3 boiler. 7 is just enough to run it at full heat. this will become obsolete probably around late mv, but it's totally worth it until then.

23 ovens. 2 grids of 9 and a five on top :q:

basically the same deal except hoppers rather than conveyors. i'm way more in favour of throwing iron at the problem than rubber

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok just so I'm clear - am I doing something dumb with this tank? nowt's flowing to my turbines

got a big ol' railcraft tank full of steam there, and last i checked turbines are steam consumers. do i actually have to use a pump to pump it out, or will they only start drawing steam once i attach stuff to those cables that wants power?

(connections are all fine, unless turbines have a specific input facing that i've somehow failed to notice)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ok just so I'm clear - am I doing something dumb with this tank? nowt's flowing to my turbines

got a big ol' railcraft tank full of steam there, and last i checked turbines are steam consumers. do i actually have to use a pump to pump it out, or will they only start drawing steam once i attach stuff to those cables that wants power?

(connections are all fine, unless turbines have a specific input facing that i've somehow failed to notice)

Railcraft tanks only auto-output from valve in the bottom face in the center. If you don't want to connect there, you need a pump or whatever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ahhh righto, got that mixed up with the "must be in bottom two rows" requirement for accessing all the contents

rip to 5 million mb of steam

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ahhh righto, got that mixed up with the "must be in bottom two rows" requirement for accessing all the contents

rip to 5 million mb of steam

You could've just dug under it...

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

23 ovens. 2 grids of 9 and a five on top :q:

basically the same deal except hoppers rather than conveyors. i'm way more in favour of throwing iron at the problem than rubber

oh my god i can't believe i never knew hoppers pull charcoal out of coke ovens

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sweet jesus get a roof over those machines. Unless you changed your configs, all electric GT machines explode when a face is exposed to rain.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Between the IE and GregTech responses about my IE power, I got really confused.

What is even stranger is that it all seemed to behave when I loaded it up today. I had connected the fermenter with HV but not the press. Regardless, they were keeping up and not depleting their buffers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Sweet jesus get a roof over those machines. Unless you changed your configs, all electric GT machines explode when a face is exposed to rain.

i changed my configs because i am not insane

e:

McFrugal posted:

You could've just dug under it...

i vaguely recall something about the storage amount being kept in the bottom centre block. that might be coke ovens and creosote though. in any event i had to pierce the tank to replace a wall with a valve and that released all my sweet steam~

in other news i have realised that 23 coke ovens is exactly too many for a single hopper using tin item pipes to keep up with. 22 would have fired off one block of wood to each within the 90 second burn time with two seconds to spare. 23 means i will eventually run dry.

the proposed solution? more hoppers, because my understanding is that gregtech pipes handle entire stacks at once. firing two woods instead of one means a theroetical maximum of 45 coke ovens, providing maximum tedium

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 14, 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm pretty sure because the hoppers each fire off a single item, the tin pipe will treat them as separate "stacks" and delay them by 22 seconds. all you need is a conveyor instead.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Well poo poo, lake base has me wanting to Big Boss it up for my next word. Legit think I would get more into aesthetic aspect of skyblock if it was over an endless ocean instead of a void, gives me something to ground myself off of.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ash Rose posted:

Well poo poo, lake base has me wanting to Big Boss it up for my next word. Legit think I would get more into aesthetic aspect of skyblock if it was over an endless ocean instead of a void, gives me something to ground myself off of.

This is apparently decent:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/seablock-rustic-waters

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I like to launch Minecraft and explore/play for a week before losing interest. Sevtech looks cool and maybe will make it more interesting? Any recommendations before going in/ installing stuff (have not modded before)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ash Rose posted:

Try Sink Into Madness. :getin:

Also uh, Sevtech's going to break your brain if you've never played modded before. But, godspeed I guess.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Eh, Sevtech is guided enough it might be an okay starting point. I started with Age of Engineering after only having played creative in 2010 lol

There's that FTB Academy that's specifically for newcomers, but it's not a challenge pack.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

This one is nice because even though it's mostly skyblocklike, you can still go out and explore around a bit and there are other dimensions if you want a temporary change of scenery.
The artisan crafting tables weren't my favorite, they were interesting at first but became irritating to deal with later on so I ended up setting them to act more like vanilla tables after a while.

He also included a way to buy items if you felt like grinding for money instead of grinding out the items themselves.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

GT:NH windmill woes

Is it at all immediately apparent what's wrong here? The rotor's spinning but the Windmill block keeps saying the structure is incomplete. I've soft malleted it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sorry I can't be of any help there, i've never built the windmill.

in other news, when i started over with gtnh this summer, i beelined for the centrifuge when i made it to lv because i wanted to get it set up spinning rubber wood for its byproducts. however...

Hooplah posted:

It seems the centrifuge recipe for rubber wood to get all the tasty byproducts is STILL loving BUSTED though. that was one of my first automation projects in my old world. it produces enough methane to power itself with an lv generator, while producing surplus methane and unlimited resin, plant balls, and wood dust. amazing.

there's two recipes in nei now, one for rubber and another for all wood. the wood one was superseding the other and preventing byproducts. After a bit of digging, i found someone with a workaround. turns out you just have to put the circuit 2 in the left slot first, then drop rubber wood into it to force that recipe. so, for any of you that might care, this this a super useful early game automation trick to get a bunch of stuff you will need in large quantities later, while also getting to ignore treetapping and all that resin gathering nonsense.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Patware posted:

GT:NH windmill woes

Is it at all immediately apparent what's wrong here? The rotor's spinning but the Windmill block keeps saying the structure is incomplete. I've soft malleted it.

The other pictures I see have the dispenser one block higher than you do. No clue about rules for where it needs to be.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I feel left out, so I'm going to post my GTNH coke oven stack

Here you can see my hideous attempt to reduce line loss from wires as much as possible

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's ... very green!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Devor posted:

The other pictures I see have the dispenser one block higher than you do. No clue about rules for where it needs to be.

That did it. Tooltip on the Windmill's a little inaccurate.

Now to figure out exactly what I can... windmill. Anything a mortar + pestle could do?

EDIT: No, not anything. I threw a stack of copper bars in there to get dust for some bronze and they just... went away. I think I hate this finicky thing.

Patware fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 17, 2020

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
From memory I think it's mostly for flour and other "soft" grinding recipes.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah the windmill is pretty poo poo. Waste of resources honestly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's ... very green!

Look, when you live in a dismal swamp, poo poo gonna be green

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
But swamps are the optimal biome for growing IC2 crops, which GT expands to include just about every resource! Crops are the new bees and they suck way way way way way less!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

But swamps are the optimal biome for growing IC2 crops, which GT expands to include just about every resource! Crops are the new bees and they suck way way way way way less!

Also the water tank works better in a swamp, which is why I moved here

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

You know, speaking of, can someone hit me with a quick and dirty breakdown for babies on IC2 crop stuff in GT:NH? The quest book left me feeling like I was missing some important information

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'd appreciate that too, actually. I've been just crossing high tier stuff at random hoping for something good I can get seeds from, but I have no idea what i'm doing really. I'll probably hold off for now until i can build a crop-matron and a lv solar panel cover to power it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So I've only really dabbled with the IC2 crops in GT:NH but I'll share what I know. The first thing to do is get a Cropnalyzer when you can, since it has a way to look at the potential outcomes from breeding any and all crops together.

So step one is to get crop sticks. You make these out of long sticks, which can be made by hand using a file + log, or ideally tossing logs in the Lathe. You get better yield on crop sticks in an assembler, so it's probably better to wait to get started on crop breeding until you have a full suite of LV machines.

So the way you breed crops is the same as agricraft, if anyone's played Regrowth or other packs that use it. In fact agricraft lifted its mechanics pretty much wholesale from IC2 (and then made them a lot friendlier and simpler, because of course IC2/GT have overly complex mechanics. If you don't know, you put down crop sticks, and plant something leaving a space where both plants touch orthogonally. When both plants are fully grown, put down two sets of crop sticks in the same spot, and wait. Eventually you will get either a new crop or weeds, which need to be removed lest they spread and kill other crops. You can either break the crop sticks or use a trowel. Any new plant, whether weeds or a crossbreed, will consume the second set of crop sticks (hence why you want to be able to produce them easily.)

So the first step is to just keep trying different plant combinations and getting new plants. The best early game plant is Stickreed, since it's just reeds that yield sticky resin and needs no special blocks to grow.

There are two more aspects to crops to address: special requirements, and stats.

Special requirements are easy, but differ for each plant. Redwheat requires a low light level to grow, as do most oreberries. Any of the IC2 crops that yield metals require a block of that metal underneath the farmland block or they will never reach their final stage. There's a list on some wiki somewhere, not sure if the cropnalyzer tells you.

Stats are a big deal but also suck. So each crop has Growth, Gain, and Resistance, which affect growth time, crop yield, and resistance to weeds/being stepped on.
Breeding plants together mutates their stats, so eventually you can improve them with enough attempts. DO NOT breed a crop above 23 growth! At 24 they start acting as weeds and will just ruin fields, because of course they do. Stats in the 20s are enough to be really productive anyway. This is only something to care about once you're planting huge fields of resource crops to create ridiculous automated production lines.

There are other factors that affect crop growth like humidity (which is why swamps are best), and air quality (adjacent empty spaces help). This wiki page has the specific math of what environmental factors do, but the short version is that good environment = faster crops, bad environment significantly slows them and can kill them if wholly insufficient.

As long as you just keep crossing stuff you'll eventually get new crops and can figure out what kind of fields you want to set up. Oreberries are a great start to try to get the other metal based GT plants, like the ones that let you multiply ore dusts or generate them with UU matter. If you're hunting a specific crop, try a bunch of combinations in the cropnalyzer and see what can yield your desired plant (in general it's around a 40% chance to get a new plant, split across dozens of different ones, with the chances weighted based on tier and keywords of each source crop).