Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Why not just buy some beers at the store and enjoy a chill night with Cyberpunk instead of buying weird uncontrolled garbage.

Cyberpunk just makes people who work in software more depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Why not just buy some beers at the store and enjoy a chill night with Cyberpunk instead of buying weird uncontrolled garbage.

have u ever tried just, like, NOT being so depressed??? just have a few beers and chill out, it's actually p easy :cheers:

dumbass

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tmfc posted:

have u ever tried just, like, NOT being so depressed??? just have a few beers and chill out, it's actually p easy :cheers:

dumbass

Better than ordering LSD for "self-medicating" on the dorknet.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Fame Douglas posted:

Drugs are cool, nerd

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
i would define "cyberpunk" as uncontrolled garbage

edit: i'm still having fun playing it though against all odds. bet it'd be cool with some lsd or ket

Admiral Bosch has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Dec 13, 2020

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

alcohol is far more destructive, addictive and dangerous than literally any psychedelic drug lol

I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoys both

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tmfc posted:

alcohol is far more destructive, addictive and dangerous than literally any psychedelic drug lol

I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoys both

More dangerous than a lot of things. How tobacco companies can't advertise but all the various alcohol companies can really play up how great their product it, and how happy it makes you, and how rad parties full of it are makes no sense

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

More dangerous than a lot of things. How tobacco companies can't advertise but all the various alcohol companies can really play up how great their product it, and how happy it makes you, and how rad parties full of it are makes no sense

Yeah but it's TRUE?

E: thanks for autocapitalizing true, Sansumg.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Another thing that works great is just getting a pair of running boots and running! So why don't you do that so you stop posting your patronizing half-baked "thoughts" in this thread.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
this kaiser ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhwycHjjV8

cw "please don't kill yourself; your best is yet to come. --A message from our actuaries who've determined that treating failed suicides was underassessed in this premium cycle and has been a significant factor lowered margins over the past twelve quarters."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tmfc posted:

dumbass

god, don't you cspammers understand that just because your mom sent your call to voicemail one time, you're not depressed?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dex_sda posted:

Another thing that works great is just getting a pair of running boots and running! So why don't you do that so you stop posting your patronizing half-baked "thoughts" in this thread.

Continuing on this, my coworker recently had a breakdown caused by stress (actually two/three of them, thanks Mr boss man for the great leadership), and his instinct was to essentially run it off, because he's the marathon type. Luckily he got an actual therapist, who told him that not only did he not need to, he actually shouldn't, because a lot of the nice hormones released by running would essentially gently caress with his stress hormones, making him worse of afterwards.

Common sense solutions are not appropriate to actual serious illnesses, even if they work for the colloquial non serious thing be the same name.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

god, don't you cspammers understand that just because your mom sent your call to voicemail one time, you're not depressed?

Yes, the poster who managed to get a loving ketamine treatment from medical professionals specifically for their treatment resistant depression is clearly just self diagnosing.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

Yes, the poster who managed to get a loving ketamine treatment from medical professionals specifically for their treatment resistant depression is clearly just self diagnosing.

ha, sorry, i was trying to mock some of the anti-mental health sentiments that appear from...certain folks with certain axes to grind.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

For anyone still wondering about making acid, Practical LSD Manufacture by Uncle Fester (which you can find on google or w/e) requires some chem background but is a fun read. The short version of LSD synthesis from ergotamine starts with a couple extractions with and vacuum distillation of a bunch of smelly, somewhat hazardous solvents that would probably have the EPA show up at your door way before the DEA does unless you're somewhere pretty rural. Then the actual reaction can be done with a couple reagents, such as:

1. hydrazine (explosive, also used as rocket fuel. Gets a 4-4-3 NFPA danger diamond)
2. sulfur trioxide (readily evaporates at room temperature, reacts with any water present to form sulfuric acid)
3. phosgene (the chemical weapon)

Good news is that 1 and 3 are also pungent, bad news is that the threshold for smell is way over a dangerous amount of either. I don't know if 2 smells, but in my experience with other fuming acids, you will probably notice the bloody nose.

I can't speak to how difficult any of that really is, but the following product separation and purification includes an isomer separation, which as a rule is kind of difficult. All in all, reading the procedure made me think OSHA protections for chemists should be added to the list of reasons acid needs to be legalized.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Continuing on this, my coworker recently had a breakdown caused by stress (actually two/three of them, thanks Mr boss man for the great leadership), and his instinct was to essentially run it off, because he's the marathon type. Luckily he got an actual therapist, who told him that not only did he not need to, he actually shouldn't, because a lot of the nice hormones released by running would essentially gently caress with his stress hormones, making him worse of afterwards.

Common sense solutions are not appropriate to actual serious illnesses, even if they work for the colloquial non serious thing be the same name.

If only your friend hat tried the common sense solution of taking LSD, got it.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Greg12 posted:

kaiser ad

I strongly recommend not watching this ad if you're dealing with depression rn. I started seeing it a few months ago when I was just starting to pull myself back together from a pretty bad episode, and every time it was like having someone push my head back underwater.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

If only your friend hat tried the common sense solution of taking LSD, got it.

You do get the difference between a) doing drugs for for fun, b) doing drugs to self medicate and c) doing drugs as part of a legit treatment, right?

Because c is definitely cool, a is probably cool, especially with non-addictive drugs love LSD and b is super not cool in most cases.

Also said coworker could definitely use a good acid trip in a recreational way. He's a teatotaller though, so no chance of that

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it's fame douglas, the most kind option is assume he's just trolling.

do more drugs unless you don't want to imo

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

T-man posted:

im begging you get a water filter and knockoff soda stream. and drink the filtered water, use koolaid if you need the sweetnesd.

When I read 2 liters of diet pepsi a day all I see is KIDNEY STONES

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

gently caress off analysts

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Nastier Nate posted:

you could do a scientific evaluation with something like "out of a random sample of 1,000 heterosexual women tested, they were 41% more likely to drop their panties as soon as they smelled a man wearing our new cologne compared to the leading brand"

41% of the time, it works every time

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/eliotwb/status/1338165797978427392

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

still time to get in before the crash!!!!

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Was anyone here an adult during the doctom bubble? Can you shed some light on how the current stock frenzy compares?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It at least feels different because at least these services do something novel and aren't just investing billions in Website Sells Pet Food

It's probably actually worse long term though because these apps are far more damaging to labor than pets dot com or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kraken! posted:

For anyone still wondering about making acid, Practical LSD Manufacture by Uncle Fester (which you can find on google or w/e) requires some chem background but is a fun read. The short version of LSD synthesis from ergotamine starts with a couple extractions with and vacuum distillation of a bunch of smelly, somewhat hazardous solvents that would probably have the EPA show up at your door way before the DEA does unless you're somewhere pretty rural. Then the actual reaction can be done with a couple reagents, such as:

1. hydrazine (explosive, also used as rocket fuel. Gets a 4-4-3 NFPA danger diamond)
2. sulfur trioxide (readily evaporates at room temperature, reacts with any water present to form sulfuric acid)
3. phosgene (the chemical weapon)

Good news is that 1 and 3 are also pungent, bad news is that the threshold for smell is way over a dangerous amount of either. I don't know if 2 smells, but in my experience with other fuming acids, you will probably notice the bloody nose.

I can't speak to how difficult any of that really is, but the following product separation and purification includes an isomer separation, which as a rule is kind of difficult. All in all, reading the procedure made me think OSHA protections for chemists should be added to the list of reasons acid needs to be legalized.

Speaking from experience, sulphur trioxide does in fact smell real bad and give you some fun stingy sour feelings in your mouth.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

It at least feels different because at least these services do something novel and aren't just investing billions in Website Sells Pet Food

It's probably actually worse long term though because these apps are far more damaging to labor than pets dot com or whatever

At the time "website sells pet food" was in fact something novel

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Number! :neckbeard:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Bloop posted:

the thing a lot of these companies do is 'ordinary thing but online and circumventing labour laws' if they even get to that stage. most are just elaborate grifts

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

At the time "website sells pet food" was in fact something novel

Sure but not in any sort of way that was particularly difficult to duplicate. Like, amazon can ALSO sell pet food

R. Mute posted:

the thing a lot of these companies do is 'ordinary thing but online and circumventing labour laws' if they even get to that stage. most are just elaborate grifts

Definitely. And the huge lie that they are "ride sharing" or renting out briefly unused rooms rather than extralegal taxi companies and hotels with no oversight or regulation

The big thing this time is that congress could easily (the won't) just obliterate these companies by making them actually play by the rules

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Sure but not in any sort of way that was particularly difficult to duplicate. Like, amazon can ALSO sell pet food

Ah, but that's pet food from people amazon.

The marketing is in pet food from pet amazon.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

human garbage bag posted:

Was anyone here an adult during the doctom bubble? Can you shed some light on how the current stock frenzy compares?

not fully an adult but from what i remember, investors threw money at any tech company they could find because the internet was the cool new thing. eventually people realized that not every company that does a thing online is useful so you had a bunch of, in retrospect, incredibly stupid companies generate a ton of hype then implode. I.e. the pets.com sock puppet that was on Good Morning America and People magazine, and then the company was losing money hand over fist because it turns out its very expensive to ship a 30 lbs bag of dog food and sell it for the same cost as Walmart or literally any other store.

this to me feels a little different because the companies are fully formed, have a business plan and model and generate some revenue, but i cant imagine it will be enough consistently to stay profitable, and once again there are established companies doing the same thing already, but better, and they have alot more assets to their name.

just for my favorite example, Telsa, a car company, stock price $609. Toyota, a car company that outsells Tesla 25:1 per car, stock price $151.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Stock price alone isn't meaningful at all. Market cap is what you want to compare.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Definitely. And the huge lie that they are "ride sharing" or renting out briefly unused rooms rather than extralegal taxi companies and hotels with no oversight or regulation

The big thing this time is that congress could easily (the won't) just obliterate these companies by making them actually play by the rules

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/376/what-legal-and-regulatory-issues-should-i-consider-before-hosting-on-airbnb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

and generate some revenue

[citation needed]

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who has the image that was two articles published the same day, one that pork prices were at a super low the other that the mcrib was coming back

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

this to me feels a little different because the companies are fully formed, have a business plan and model and generate some revenue, but i cant imagine it will be enough consistently to stay profitable, and once again there are established companies doing the same thing already, but better, and they have alot more assets to their name.

just for my favorite example, Telsa, a car company, stock price $609. Toyota, a car company that outsells Tesla 25:1 per car, stock price $151.

most of these companies aren't anywhere near profitable, and what little revenue they're managing to make is drawn largely from funneling massive amounts of venture capital directly into their marketing budget

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

human garbage bag posted:

I was (barely), and was working at the company that arguably kicked off the Tech IPO craze. it feels similar in that there are categories of company (then: online random retail, some media, Linux-related services) that had questionable economics underlying the valuations and speculation was a more substantial force all of the sudden, with a relatively new surge of additional retail investors (Etrade was 1998’s Robinhood). it feels different now because the fed has fundamentally changed the rules around risk for US companies so it’s not really as important to construct an economic narrative around the wacky P/E and valuations.

my only direct exposure to that frenzy was a moderate number of post-IPO options and a few f&f opportunities I didn’t avail myself of, but I remember everyone starting to talk about options as part of comp in a way that you just hadn’t seen outside exec compensation before. my grandparents, both from the public education world, were exhorting me to make sure I got “some of those good stock options” if I was looking at a job. not quite the shoeshine boy as bromides go, but stock really became mainstream in what felt like a pretty significant shift. and all the energy was around net-connected things, however strained the premise might have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

don't call them landlords, call them "housing providers"
https://twitter.com/NBOACHICAGO1/status/1337844521665703939?s=20