Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Lollerich posted:

Is this typical pricing for the US? I just checked the menu for my favourite Pizzeria here in Germany and a Margherita costs 4,50€/$5.45 for 24cm/9.4 in, 5,99€/$7.25 for 29cm/11.42 in, 7,99€/$9.68 for 34cm/13.39 in. That includes sales tax and delivery. :confused:
20 USD seems absurd to me. I know prices in the US are slightly higher for just about everything compared to Germany or even France but that's akin to street robbery.

Margheritas are considered the basic pizza in almost all pizzerias. So, when you order any kind of pizza, the price is the same as for a margherita if you had added extra ingredients. Let's say for example a Tonno will cost the same as if you ordered a Margherita and selected tuna as an extra topping.

That is pretty much standard practice. Making the Margherita more expensive than other selections make no sense to me.

I think its what Hasturtium said and kind of where I was leaning to begin with, cheese pizza is the standard base in the US so just sauce cheese crust. Margherita varies greatly between individual pizza places I've seen for example one place might call a margherita tomato sauce, small amounts of mozzarella with basil leaves and another place might call it garlic olive oil sauce, thin sliced tomato, pieces of mozzarella and basil leaves and you might get a third type like the monstrosity I ordered.

An example of pricing you might see in the US is $14 for a 14-16 inch cheese pizza and $18 for a margherita. But I agree with what you said as well for the most part a margherita should not cost more than a cheese pizza or another with toppings when generally all they do is use less cheese and throw a couple basil leaves on top and say its a specialty pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lollerich posted:

Is this typical pricing for the US? I just checked the menu for my favourite Pizzeria here in Germany and a Margherita costs 4,50€/$5.45 for 24cm/9.4 in, 5,99€/$7.25 for 29cm/11.42 in, 7,99€/$9.68 for 34cm/13.39 in. That includes sales tax and delivery. :confused:
20 USD seems absurd to me. I know prices in the US are slightly higher for just about everything compared to Germany or even France but that's akin to street robbery.

Margheritas are considered the basic pizza in almost all pizzerias. So, when you order any kind of pizza, the price is the same as for a margherita if you had added extra ingredients. Let's say for example a Tonno will cost the same as if you ordered a Margherita and selected tuna as an extra topping.

That is pretty much standard practice. Making the Margherita more expensive than other selections make no sense to me.

I've noticed this as well, pizzas here range from 6-9 euros (more for speciality pizzas), 10 euros or more at the lovely chain places which we never goto. Worse food, higher prices, yes please?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Margherita pizza is expensive in the US since the voyage to the far east to acquire basil is extremely perilous and Dutch spice traders refuse to share their shipping rutters.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A 12" pizza can be $5-25 depending where you get it and what's on it

When I see Margherita on a menu I'm picturing tomato pie with a few pips of mozzarella and a quarter basil leaf because a lot of these places take Margherita to mean "oh good I don't have to actually put anything on it. $15 please"

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

TheAardvark posted:

A review: "Best Italian Style pizza in town."

holy poo poo what's the worst?

luv me that cabbage za'

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

bagual posted:

holy poo poo what's the worst?

luv me that cabbage za'

An angry man wrestles you to the ground, forces a tomato into your mouth and slaps you so hard it bursts

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

An angry man wrestles you to the ground, forces a tomato into your mouth and slaps you so hard it bursts

:staredog: don't threaten me with a good time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheAardvark posted:

A review: "Best Italian Style pizza in town."

best okonomiyaki style pizza in town

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've noticed this as well, pizzas here range from 6-9 euros (more for speciality pizzas), 10 euros or more at the lovely chain places which we never goto. Worse food, higher prices, yes please?

Weird. Around here local places are about twice the price of chains like Dominos.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Found this thread a cool shirt

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Is that fuckin'... Microwave's Mom?!????!?!11

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Big Beef City posted:

i open a big red epic tyler durden smile and whisper za' don ghetti two upsetti

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I watched a video yesterday of someone sounding their peehole with a power drill and the recent pizza posts have been more upsetting

Accurate nick adjective/post combo.

I hope you cut down on the rl self mutilation vids. But if we eventually see a pic here if your flattened amputated dick and balls as a pizza topping, whether the photographer be yourself or some German cannibal you hooked up with on social media, at least we will understand how your psyche got that way.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

BigBadSteve posted:

Accurate nick adjective/post combo.

I hope you cut down on the rl self mutilation vids. But if we eventually see a pic here if your flattened amputated dick and balls as a pizza topping, whether the photographer be yourself or some German cannibal you hooked up with on social media, at least we will understand how your psyche got that way.

That sounds more appealing than these catupiry abominations.

Der Bäckermeister promises I won't die like the last guy.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Lollerich posted:

yeah in the US they pile on the ingredients and i think that a $20 cheese pizza would serve more than one person. but in napoli you can get a margherita and a coke for like 8 euro

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You can also get a French fry covered Americano and a coke 6 euro because they sell way more of those to locals and make it up on volume.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

You can also get a French fry covered Americano and a coke 6 euro because they sell way more of those to locals and make it up on volume.

Poked my head into a pizza joint in Naples near the train station and the only slices they had left were "Americano" covered with french fries and cut up hot dogs. You know, like an American pizza has.

I hosed off back across the street to the McDonalds in the station and had a Big Mac and curly fries.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Poked my head into a pizza joint in Naples near the train station and the only slices they had left were "Americano" covered with french fries and cut up hot dogs. You know, like an American pizza has.

I hosed off back across the street to the McDonalds in the station and had a Big Mac and curly fries.

...they were selling slices?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

baw posted:

...they were selling slices?

There's pizza by the slice in pretty much every major city in Italy. Oddly, it was just about the only place that sold pizza within the immediate radius of the train station. There were lots of Chinese and African restaurants, though I wasn't feeling adventurous (or I would have got the Americano)

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Cant beat the traditional Pizza Hut crust

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Here's an added bonus image, not pizza:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hard to find a place that will even do "one whole sleeping bat" as a topping anymore.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The argument could be made that this is pizza.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

There's pizza by the slice in pretty much every major city in Italy. Oddly, it was just about the only place that sold pizza within the immediate radius of the train station. There were lots of Chinese and African restaurants, though I wasn't feeling adventurous (or I would have got the Americano)

yeah you can find pizza al taglio nearly everywhere, especially in train stations. but either way whatever you saw could not legally be referred to as "pizza napoletana" due to TSG regulations, as it does not meet the standards outlined in this 10-page document

there are pizza rules, and violations are punishable under EU law :colbert:

baw fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 15, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

this page actually made me nauseous.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

By popular demand posted:

this page actually made me nauseous.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

baw posted:

yeah you can find pizza al taglio nearly everywhere, especially in train stations. but either way whatever you saw could not legally be referred to as "pizza napoletana" due to TSG regulations, as it does not meet the standards outlined in this 10-page document

When I was in Naples it didn't really seem like there were laws, or at least not garbage collection*. This was also during the 2009 G8 summit so I imagine they had bigger fish to fry if the laws were in place at that time

*learning about trash collection/disposal in southern Italy was an interesting experience :catstare:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

When I was in Naples it didn't really seem like there were laws, or at least not garbage collection*. This was also during the 2009 G8 summit so I imagine they had bigger fish to fry if the laws were in place at that time

*learning about trash collection/disposal in southern Italy was an interesting experience :catstare:

it's a dirty and loud city in general, and i think 2008 was when the camorra-caused garbage crisis occurred and i imagined there was still left over in 2009.

that being said one of the beautiful things about napoli is that the entire city always seems on the verge of collapsing into chaos but they somehow manage to make it work.but i really wish people would at least pick up their dog poo poo

either way next time you're in the area, definitely get yourself a genuine pizza napoletana. and then a fried pizza. and some sweets

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

baw posted:

Is pizza law even worse/better than tree law? Do we have any Italian goons who can give us the inside scoop?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Outrail posted:

Is pizza law even worse/better than tree law? Do we have any Italian goons who can give us the inside scoop?

i live in italy but sadly am not practiced in Pizza Law, but i know that europe in general is very serious about proper food labels and italians seem to be especially picky about it (which is a good thing)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Stunt_enby posted:

is that loving saffron??

Your Avatar is upsetting

The pizza is upsetting

Everything is upsetting

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

It looks like cat barf on fries lol

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lollerich posted:

Maybe margherita isnt typically a thing in the US and they use the term to characterize something as authentically and artisanally italian idk

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Cool I'm never ordering pepperoni again

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Cool I'm never ordering pepperoni again

They look like giant red blood cells

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

None pizza all depression