Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

any good mods that make bows satisfying to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I like to run Archery Gameplay Overhaul (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/24296) with pretty much most of its settings disabled other than the stamina drain for holding the bow fully drawn. The bleed is a bit funky on the player and felt a bit strong against NPCs. It makes bows feel a lot better with its custom animations (your character keeps an arrow knocked instead of drawing from the quiver when you click to draw the bow) but if mods add bows that really deviate in speed they can have issues syncing up with the new animations.

It sets all vanilla bows to be at 1.0 speed for its animations, which is nice in making bows feel way snappier. It also helps solve the problem of higher tier bows doing less DPS because they get slower as they go up in damage for some reason. Evidently Bethesda expected everyone to play sniper with them almost exclusively, and making stronger bows faster does so much heavy lifting in making them feel better to play.

There's other mods that change bow speed too. Long N' Short Bows comes to mind, but it makes what it considers as long bows slower in exchange for even higher damage. I'm pretty sure there's also some patchers that'll just make draw speed consistent across all the bows?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Ordinator + AGO + Arrows and Bolts Tweaks makes a bow build a lot more fun.

You can use iHud and SkyHud together to turn off the crosshair and move the stealth indicator for more challenge and immersion.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Friends, it is Skyrim season for me once again. I recently bought Cyberpunk 2077 and put it down, disgusted, after 2 hours, because in the year of Our Lord 2020 I was unable to rebind the loving controls in the way I desired, something that presented no problem in 2011 with Skyrim.

So I spent about 3 hours today downloading and configuring a new MO2 profile. Some new textures. Some new lighting. Some new weather. Some new followers. VOILA!!! A fun new experience yet again. I fear this must be my last Skyrim character though. I’m trying very hard not to remember everything I already know. To do EVERYTHING with this last Mega-Nord. It’s hard. I’ve played this game so much, and nothing else has yet come close to its pure quality. I NEED Bethesda to come through with ES6. I know they’re gonna gently caress it up, but I must yet hope, because Skyrim, after 9 years, is nearly played out...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lordshmee posted:

Friends, it is Skyrim season for me once again. I recently bought Cyberpunk 2077 and put it down, disgusted, after 2 hours, because in the year of Our Lord 2020 I was unable to rebind the loving controls in the way I desired, something that presented no problem in 2011 with Skyrim.

So I spent about 3 hours today downloading and configuring a new MO2 profile. Some new textures. Some new lighting. Some new weather. Some new followers. VOILA!!! A fun new experience yet again. I fear this must be my last Skyrim character though. I’m trying very hard not to remember everything I already know. To do EVERYTHING with this last Mega-Nord. It’s hard. I’ve played this game so much, and nothing else has yet come close to its pure quality. I NEED Bethesda to come through with ES6. I know they’re gonna gently caress it up, but I must yet hope, because Skyrim, after 9 years, is nearly played out...

Wait, did you get it for PC? Does it not even let you rebind controls on PC?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Skwirl posted:

Wait, did you get it for PC? Does it not even let you rebind controls on PC?
Not without manually editing an ini file. I couldn't believe it either.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cardiovorax posted:

Not without manually editing an ini file. I couldn't believe it either.

lmao holy poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Super glad I decided to wait on Cyberpunk.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It lets you rebind most of the controls but, bafflingly, not ALL of the controls. Crucially, if you don't like the default interact key being F you need to do the ini editing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

It lets you rebind most of the controls but, bafflingly, not ALL of the controls. Crucially, if you don't like the default interact key being F you need to do the ini editing.

Yeah, that's a no go. I've used "E" for like decades at this point, not gonna want to try and relearn that muscle memory.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
It’s the same old story. They half-assed it. You can rebind some controls but not all, not even most in this case. You can rebind the left and right arrow keys but not up and down. F? loving forget about it. It’s perma-bound to like 10 actions. The fuckers.

I basically had carpal tunnel after 2 hours trying my damnedest to adjust. gently caress that poo poo.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 12, 2020

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Arthmoor will be Forever Mad about Skyrim mods.

I'm super glad that soldierofwar, JPSteel2, and Janquel have since come along and put out some really loving banger town mods and patch collections for said mods so I can scrub as many of Arthmoor's lovely mods from my load order as possible (USSEP, Cutting Room Floor, and Provincial Courier Service notwithstanding).

There's a replacement that just came out for Provincial Courier Service actually!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/40709

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I've never used zedit before but I want to use the Alchemy Effects Randomizer.

Should I be using zedit on just the base game five esms, or do I get the entire load order ordered first (I assume this is the case, since it may add more items that need randomization) or like, at what step in the process do I do that? Literally every guide I have found is assuming knowledge I do not have.

I get that what it does is ultimately merge things into a plugin that... I then plug into my load order? Should I be merging things and then leaving them out of MO altogether? I am not very smart.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've never used zedit before but I want to use the Alchemy Effects Randomizer.

Should I be using zedit on just the base game five esms, or do I get the entire load order ordered first (I assume this is the case, since it may add more items that need randomization) or like, at what step in the process do I do that? Literally every guide I have found is assuming knowledge I do not have.

I get that what it does is ultimately merge things into a plugin that... I then plug into my load order? Should I be merging things and then leaving them out of MO altogether? I am not very smart.

Yeah. Run it on the main esms, and anything that adds something to alchemy. Or just throw the whole load order in. It won't use anything it doesn't need, so there's no harm in putting more in it. It just spits out an esl in your overwrite folder, but I put it in a proper modorganizer folder, loaded last.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. Run it on the main esms, and anything that adds something to alchemy. Or just throw the whole load order in. It won't use anything it doesn't need, so there's no harm in putting more in it. It just spits out an esl in your overwrite folder, but I put it in a proper modorganizer folder, loaded last.
Perfect, thank you. Now I only have three one incredibly dumb questions left!

1) how do I get zedit to "see" my load order, it still only sees the default DLC (edit: "run it through MO" was the answer, I am dumb)
2) why is my game is in windowed mode, it doesn't seem to be a setting in enboost because I turned Borderless Windowed on there, god I hate stuff that doesn't use Mod Manager, someone just point me to a good preset or whatever it's called and have done with it
3) what in the name of god does this dyndolod thing actually do (that one doesn't need answering, I'm running it, duh)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 12, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Perfect, thank you. Now I only have three one incredibly dumb questions left!

1) how do I get zedit to "see" my load order, it still only sees the default DLC (edit: "run it through MO" was the answer, I am dumb)
2) why is my game is in windowed mode, it doesn't seem to be a setting in enboost because I turned Borderless Windowed on there, god I hate stuff that doesn't use Mod Manager, someone just point me to a good preset or whatever it's called and have done with it
3) what in the name of god does this dyndolod thing actually do (that one doesn't need answering, I'm running it, duh)

so I think you run zedit from MO2. It should pick up your mods and stuff

or you install it in your mod folder? Idk man. I used it once and I felt so accomplished that I just hit the go buttons two more times just to see it work its magic

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, running through MO worked.

Still can't figure out windowed mode (something's gotta be overriding the enb settings in the Skyrim base folder - should I download OneTweak again or is that so 2013?)

and also can't figure out why zedit fails when I try to run the alchemy randomizer (something in CACO is giving it a null reference it seems):

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's strange. I run CACO with my alchemy randomizer. I don't know if you're comfortable with it, but can you run ZEdit, load everything, go to your CACO esp entry, go to ingredients, and find 01CCA118? It should be Flax Seeds. On the right side, navigate to effects. It should have Feather, Block, Lingering Damage, and Magicka. Are any of your empty or otherwise remarkable?

Is windowed mode being set by some ini or something?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I certainly can, but first I got smart and decided to run it again and sure enough, there isn't anything special about Flax Seeds:

...which is actually worse and not better. But work with me here.

The only commonality is setting to 0. Is there not an effect with index 0? Is that something that should be excluded automatically? I mean it's hard to believe nobody else caught that, I might try just redownloading, but jeez.

e: redownload/reinstall in zedit did not fix.

edit: oh, and do I actually care about dyndolod? I'm trying out Open Cities and the alleged incompatibility between the two requiring like four steps to work around sounds like a pain in the rear end

e3: editing the ENB ini did not fix my constant non-borderless windowed mode, because it kept resetting itself, but installing https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34705?tab=description did

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 12, 2020

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Are you using more than 254 plugins? It will throw an error if you load more than 254 at a time. Just load the ones required for the alchemy patch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nexus down for everyone else?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Skwirl posted:

Nexus down for everyone else?

Yeah

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was just 3 alternate labia textures away from a perfect modlist, nooooooooooooo.

Actually, a little annoyed because I just gave them some money two days ago so I could use wabbajack again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cantorsdust posted:

Are you using more than 254 plugins? It will throw an error if you load more than 254 at a time. Just load the ones required for the alchemy patch.
211. I was actually sure to stay under the limit! (Kidding. I just ran outta stuff. Plus, why would it be that error then?)

(nexus is back up now)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

211. I was actually sure to stay under the limit! (Kidding. I just ran outta stuff. Plus, why would it be that error then?)

(nexus is back up now)

256 is the most numbers you can have in 2 digit hex, so it fucks up a lot of things when you go higher. I'm sure the real reason is more complicated, but if going over 255 is a problem for anything it almost certainly has to do with hex numbers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

256 is the most numbers you can have in 2 digit hex, so it fucks up a lot of things when you go higher. I'm sure the real reason is more complicated, but if going over 255 is a problem for anything it almost certainly has to do with hex numbers.
I knew. (also the first one is indexed zero and I believe the magic number is actually hitting, not surpassing, 255)

seriously though if nobody can figure out this randomizer, shrug, guess I'm never randomizing Alchemy

time to try some Souls-rear end combat and see if I hate or love it, should be a pretty quick solve.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I knew. (also the first one is indexed zero and I believe the magic number is actually hitting, not surpassing, 255)

seriously though if nobody can figure out this randomizer, shrug, guess I'm never randomizing Alchemy

time to try some Souls-rear end combat and see if I hate or love it, should be a pretty quick solve.

The Eldersouls wabbajack is broken right now because one of the mods in it is hidden. Though if you have the earlier version already installed you're fine.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Skwirl posted:

I was just 3 alternate labia textures away from a perfect modlist, nooooooooooooo.

Lmbo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How can I investigate an item? I want to either know what mod its components "came" from or at least what those components are:

(it's one of the pieces of gear added by the alternate start that pops you in High Hrothgar with a bunch of complete posted a few pages ago, so I suspect it's just hardcoding using vanilla crap and that stuff's changed by caco, but we'll see)

I tried google but it's literally impossible to google |C| and have any meaningful results returned, you have to escape out the pipe characters so it isn't a regex and then you get everything with C and so on

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You could try installing More Informative Console and dropping the item on the floor. Then you'll be able to click on it and glean some information about which mods have been messing with it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThaumPenguin posted:

You could try installing More Informative Console and dropping the item on the floor. Then you'll be able to click on it and glean some information about which mods have been messing with it.
Not zero information, but less than I'd hoped:

Was expecting to see a specific breakdown beyond just "base" and "ref". Is Ref what I want?

e: as always RTFM helped, I can mouse over those [numbers] and also it's sseedit

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 13, 2020

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Was expecting to see a specific breakdown beyond just "base" and "ref". Is Ref what I want?

e: as always RTFM helped, I can mouse over those [numbers] and also it's sseedit

xEdit / SSEdit will let you input that base ID and find the item and all modifying .esps as well as what modified what. But if the issue is the |C| I suspect that's probably from another sorting, as that would be the last mod to touch its name.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, that seems to be a vanilla item not added in by any mods. It could've been placed somewhere as part of a mod, but the item is wholly vanilla and exists in the base game. The "|a|" or "|c|" in the name part is added as part of Another Sorting Mod so that the items will always be shown in Helm>Armor>Gloves>Boots order in the inventory screen.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I really like the idea of the Mysticism spell mod, but the knowledge that NPCs won't be able to use the new spells irks me. Are there any easy ways to add new spells to NPCs without having to manually edit a thousand entries in the CK?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Probably not easily. There's an article in the Apocalypse spells mod faq that goes into how to do this I think.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's a rabbit hole you really don't wanna go down, but ASIS might work.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I looked briefly at ASIS; it looks to me as if it just automatically dumps all available spells onto NPCs, regardless of type. I'm out of luck, aren't I?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lker posted:

Yeah, that seems to be a vanilla item not added in by any mods. It could've been placed somewhere as part of a mod, but the item is wholly vanilla and exists in the base game. The "|a|" or "|c|" in the name part is added as part of Another Sorting Mod so that the items will always be shown in Helm>Armor>Gloves>Boots order in the inventory screen.
See, I'm fine with that! I just... didn't know that it wasn't something broken. Because it's not actually documented in ASM's page that that's how it does its thing. Sigh.

(thanks :shobon:)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I looked briefly at ASIS; it looks to me as if it just automatically dumps all available spells onto NPCs, regardless of type. I'm out of luck, aren't I?

No, it doesn't do that. It does take a bit of setup though. I haven't used ASIS since Oldrim though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can new ASIS create large groups of mobs? I used to to love running into a couple dozen bandits in Oldrim.