Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cobalt-60 posted:

What should I be looking for in artifacts? Got a bunch of purples now, and starting to level them past +8. Someone said that duplicate stats are bad; not certain.

Are there recommended sets for characters?

Depends on the character. Healers want HP but DPS and support don't. Attack % is generally worse than Dmg % because they're applied at different points in the damage formula and Crit Rate/Dmg get much better the later in the game you are.

Who are you using and for what roles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, he's definitely great, even in comparison to Jean. While Jean is better at healing, Bennet seems to generate a lot more energy for the party and I wouldn't be surprised if the attack buff from his burst works out to more damage overall (since it empowers other characters).

Also he's Pyro, which is inherently good.

jean is "better" at healing but the burst is usually more hp than anyone has unless you built like hp diona or something. a massive amount of it is wasted in overflow and her circle's pulse only proc swirls off the player character and off of ground-based elemental effects (when it should really probably swirl off everything like... well, every other god drat anemo character). her ascension bonus is also Healing Power%, which is even more unnecessary.

jean is a cool character and i have her C1 but basically everything about her kit is crappy and even what appears to be synergistic works against itself because overheal is worthless in this game.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

John Lee posted:

Alright, thanks all. What I'm hearing is that Razor can indeed be pretty rad, and would be worth it to build if I have any good Cryo application that isn't Chongyun.

...I have Chongyun and Diona, and since Chong is somebody you build your team around and I just got him recently, he's low level and likely to stay that way for a while.
My Diona hasn't seen any actual play, she's a bit underleveled, not geared, etc. But she DOES have a Sacrifical Bow (R1), which might make her pump out enough Cryo to support Razor... but then I'd have to kick out Venti, Xiangling, or Childe from my main team, which ain't gonna happen real soon. I was planning on bringing in an alt team after I got these guys up to speed, but I might sub out Razor for Diona for a while, then level up Sucrose and Zhongli to pair with Razor and my then on-par Diona.

Razor is a spotlight hog that only cares about one elemental reaction (superconduct for 8s defense break). Paired with a lvl1 Kaeya he can shred almost all endgame content without further support, though he benefits from shields, regen, and crowd control to keep him going so that he doesn't need to swap back out before his ult has ended. Childe doesn't synergize with him (aside from the passive), and Xiangling offers good burst but she's far more effective paired with cryo/hydro for 2x damage reactions. I use Razor everywhere and his clear times are great. If you want to field Venti (VV for elemental resist break), Childe, and Xiangling then it sounds like you're better off optimizing for pyro reactions. But Xiangling has long cooldowns and bad energy generation, so she's better off as a pyro burst support for a pyro carry with lower cooldowns (Bennett, Diluc, Klee).

malbogio fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Maybe someone will chip and explain why it's actually garbage, but someone made a spreadsheet with artifact and weapon suggestions for everyone
It's a little dated - it looks like it was written a few months back when the support/DPS distinction was more meaningful. It has 4-star artifact sets recommended as BIS for Xingqiu (for example) which will just confuse people. In broad strokes it's more correct than not though imo.

Cobalt-60 posted:

What should I be looking for in artifacts? Got a bunch of purples now, and starting to level them past +8. Someone said that duplicate stats are bad; not certain.

Are there recommended sets for characters?
Just use what you find until AR45 when you can start farming them from domains for real. At that point you'll have a better idea what your characters are looking for as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 13, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

malbogio posted:

But Xiangling has long cooldowns and bad energy generation, so she's better off as a pyro burst support for a pyro carry with lower cooldowns (Bennett, Diluc, Klee).

I have bad news about my character options!

Thanks for the in-depth breakdown, though - I probably won't actually TAKE any advice, since Kaeya's perfect rear end doesn't really interest me, and Xiangling gets a slot automatically for Waifu Reasons, but I'll consider stuff for my second team, whenever that happens.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

jean is a cool character and i have her C1 but basically everything about her kit is crappy and even what appears to be synergistic works against itself because overheal is worthless in this game.

she can air juggle human-sized elite enemies (cicin mages, abyss mages, fatui agents) forever, keeping them from doing anything while repeatedly slamming them into the ground for falling damage that would put diluc to shame. coincidentally, some of the most annoying domains and abyss stages in the game are loaded up with these enemies.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Mainly I'd make sure Childe and Razor are never on the same team as both want to stay on the field all the time. I don't have Diona but she looks just as good as Kaeya as a superconduct applicator (same 6s cd on tap E) while also covering the role of team healer, so no need to switch her out. Razor, Diona, Xiangling, Venti is a pretty good team (swapping Xiangling for Xinyan would be even stronger but you don't have her leveled anyway). You could also lean into elemental reactions with Childe, Xiangling, Xinyan, Venti. Healerless, but having double pyro helps with +25% atk, more pyro energy generation, and providing more reactions to Childe, while Venti provides crowd control, elemental resistance stripping, and further energy generation to keep the elemental bursts cycling.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 13, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jean is also wind which gets the overpowered Virdi set.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

John Lee posted:

I have bad news about my character options!

Thanks for the in-depth breakdown, though - I probably won't actually TAKE any advice, since Kaeya's perfect rear end doesn't really interest me, and Xiangling gets a slot automatically for Waifu Reasons, but I'll consider stuff for my second team, whenever that happens.
If Bennett is on one of these next banners you really want him. Tart/Xiangling/Venti/Healer and Razor/Diona/Fischl/level 1 Kaeya (or anything you need to counter the fatui) would be my proposed teams. Without Bennett it has to be Barbara or Noelle on team 1.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiterpallasch posted:

she can air juggle human-sized elite enemies (cicin mages, abyss mages, fatui agents) forever, keeping them from doing anything while repeatedly slamming them into the ground for falling damage that would put diluc to shame. coincidentally, some of the most annoying domains and abyss stages in the game are loaded up with these enemies.

how? when i hit them into the air, they stay stuck up there and i can't hit them unless i bring out a bow user. when they come down, they aren't staggered anymore so the charge can't hit them back up, and enemies seem to take knockback/fall damage maybe once every dozen hits. i would be much more confident in her if her charge didn't make enemies basically untargetable.

is fall damage vs enemies a latency thing? because i basically never see it on jean and i have 135+ms latency; this also affects my ability to fight stormterror.

e: this food delivery event is absolutely dreadful. i just lost a dish right in front of the guy because i JUMPED, even though jumping is not forbidden on the quest text

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 13, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I want Bennett just to complete the 4* roster and perhaps enable some sick melt bursts down the line. But other than that, I kind of want to shelve his OP, do-every-role rear end and 36-star Abyss without him.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

how? when i hit them into the air, they stay stuck up there and i can't hit them unless i bring out a bow user. when they come down, they aren't staggered anymore so the charge can't hit them back up, and enemies seem to take knockback/fall damage maybe once every dozen hits. i would be much more confident in her if her charge didn't make enemies basically untargetable.

you need to use her charge attack and elemental skill in combination: punt them into the air with the charge attack, use the elemental skill hold's suction effect to slam them into the ground hard enough to deal falling damage, and then release them back into the air for a second instance of falling damage when they land. it's something like 30% max HP between the two hits, which works out to be 50k+ damage in the upper floors of the abyss. and you can do this every six seconds, and the enemy spends most of those six seconds flailing helplessly in the air.

someone posted a video of them doing it earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ko6zhDU5ww

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
thermonuclear take: between her ability to turn abyss mages off (hello 12-2-2), smash whopperflowers into walls for 20k damage, keep the party healed, and swirl those awful elemental debuffs off of your characters, jean is literally the most useful character in the game in abyss and it's not even particularly close (maybe venti is up there). of course abyss is only a small part of this game, but it's the part in which the power of your teams matters the most.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiterpallasch posted:

you need to use her charge attack and elemental skill in combination: punt them into the air with the charge attack, use the elemental skill hold's suction effect to slam them into the ground hard enough to deal falling damage, and then release them back into the air for a second instance of falling damage when they land. it's something like 30% max HP between the two hits, which works out to be 50k+ damage in the upper floors of the abyss. and you can do this every six seconds, and the enemy spends most of those six seconds flailing helplessly in the air.

someone posted a video of them doing it earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ko6zhDU5ww

yeah you see i do this but they don't take damage when they hit the ground and when they fall after i throw them into the air it's definitely a <10% chance that they'll take damage at all. it's probably just a latency thing but it makes jean basically crap. the best i've ever gotten out of her is double casting her skill with the sacrificial sword and hoping they're both crits, because fall damage is completely unreliable for me.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 13, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

jean is "better" at healing but the burst is usually more hp than anyone has unless you built like hp diona or something. a massive amount of it is wasted in overflow and her circle's pulse only proc swirls off the player character and off of ground-based elemental effects (when it should really probably swirl off everything like... well, every other god drat anemo character). her ascension bonus is also Healing Power%, which is even more unnecessary.

Jean generates a lot of of energy, maybe not as much as benett on a fire oriented team but with venti its basically non stop bursts on cooldown. I've also seen jean vids having her crit for 5k on normal attacks and 15k on charges, combined with the double fall damage trick and you have a girl that does a poo poo tons of white damage. That can heal, that can CC. Of all of the base 5* units, she's the one I wouldn't mind getting constellations on.

The White Dragon posted:

yeah you see i do this but they don't take damage when they hit the ground and when they fall after i throw them into the air it's definitely a <10% chance that they'll take damage at all. it's probably just a latency thing but it makes jean basically crap. the best i've ever gotten out of her is double casting her skill with the sacrificial sword and hoping they're both crits, because fall damage is completely unreliable for me.

Are you sure they aren't taking damage because they are doing reactive warps? For the cicin girls you have to bait out their warp dodge before the fall damage combo or they'll dodge to avoid damage.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 13, 2020

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Other than time-limited characters, the two I don't have are Jean and Diluc, sigh.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Thinking of giving this a try, are there any newbie codes or referral codes I should use for extra free starting stuff?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

there could be something weird going on client-side with the physics modelling (framerate?), but i don't think it's latency--i tried bouncing my connection through literally europe and back and the falling damage applied for me:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Thinking of giving this a try, are there any newbie codes or referral codes I should use for extra free starting stuff?

GENSHINGIFT will get you some primogems and xp books. I think it has a minimum AR requirement, though, so it probably won't work right away.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
aw crap, i hope i didn't just get my account banned for logging in from a different country

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I 9-starred floors 10 and 11 today. Here's how it was done:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^oh man if only that arti was crit chance instead of crit rate. keqing gets a ton of it from ascending already.

Reiterpallasch posted:

there could be something weird going on client-side with the physics modelling (framerate?), but i don't think it's latency--i tried bouncing my connection through literally europe and back and the falling damage applied for me:

framerate is also a distinct possibility, mine is a little bit low and if they put the physics in Update() like most lazy unity devs then that'd do you.

as for logging in from another country it's probably fine, i've been doing it accidentally a lot because i switch my vpn on and off.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 13, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

^oh man if only that arti was crit chance instead of crit rate. keqing gets a ton of it from ascending already.

Yeah, but more CRIT DMG never goes to waste

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Between black sword and a crit rate helmet I got to the 1:2 ratio... barely. Idk how people make it without crit rate weapons, BP is op.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

The only bad thing about the BP weapons is the sinking feeling that I'll have to spend more money if I ever want to refine them or get one of the other weapon types

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Any pro tips for nabbing crystalflies on mobile? The drat upward slant trajectory makes it to where I only have a tiny window to mash the collect prompt, and often by the time it comes up I'm far enough past the entity that it doesn't count. I get maybe half of the ones at the tree in Mondstadt, only have time to nab one at Guyun Stone Forest before the ones that are already way high up when I teleport in despawn. The two at Mingyun Village near teleport are my only lucky break if I remember to lure the slime out first so I don't get stunned off a wall.

E:

Mr Snips posted:

The only bad thing about the BP weapons is the sinking feeling that I'll have to spend more money if I ever want to refine them or get one of the other weapon types

I think the conventional wisdom is not to refine prototype or BP weapons. Acquisition rate is too low to justify doing it

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

zgrowler2 posted:

Any pro tips for nabbing crystalflies on mobile? The drat upward slant trajectory makes it to where I only have a tiny window to mash the collect prompt, and often by the time it comes up I'm far enough past the entity that it doesn't count. I get maybe half of the ones at the tree in Mondstadt, only have time to nab one at Guyun Stone Forest before the ones that are already way high up when I teleport in despawn. The two at Mingyun Village near teleport are my only lucky break if I remember to lure the slime out first so I don't get stunned off a wall.

I don't know if this is a mobile thing, I have a similar experience on PC. I usually can't grab every one I see, they're slippery little buggers.

It's not a big deal though, you don't need a billion of them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zgrowler2 posted:

Any pro tips for nabbing crystalflies on mobile?

play online with a friend or two, if possible. crystalflies basically have two states of matter in multiplayer, one of which is "unresponsive and glued to the ground" and the other is "instantly moved 5000m into the air" and it's basically a coin flip which one it spawns as

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

It has 4-star artifact sets recommended as BIS for Xingqiu (for example) which will just confuse people.

Lacking any sacrificial weapons I'd have a hard time arguing against Scholar+Exile for reaction supports.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

for stuff like crystalflies or butterflies, my general method is walking up to them then when you're at the range where they're gonna start moving tap dash + mash the grab, sometimes they go up and you have to jump also. good place to collect is outside the guyun dungeon and around the big tree in mondstadt, you don't need that many per day to stay neutral with the amount you use for condensed resin so you dont have to go out of your way for them once you have a good stash tho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

zgrowler2 posted:

imo the ones that spawn around Dawn Winery are the easiest to collect and there's got to be at least 4 or so? it's less convenient but you can also get some Philanemos there so it's not a bad place to hit up every couple days.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

WL7 report:
  • Mob health: noticeably higher
  • Mob loot: not noticeably better

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
thank y'all for the tips! I'll try these other spots out and work on my technique. I had a decent stash before 1.1, then xp farming and artifacts sucked em all down

gandlethorpe posted:

WL7 report:
  • Mob health: noticeably higher
  • Mob loot: not noticeably better

it seems like WL6+ seems to be more of a chore than it's worth apart from the guaranteed 5* on artifact runs - is the intent just to slow down player progress by making mobs into HP tanks?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

probably wouldn't hurt if the WL8 benefits just took effect at AR45. at that point you're getting guaranteed 5* in domains but it adds guaranteed 5* to cube/vines and i don't think much else except wolf talent mats? since Dvalin/Childe are domains locked to AR. leylines stop scaling at AR45 or something too so lol

granted, *extremely Diluc voice* the WL7 mobs seem the same to me

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

well mob hp has to scale with your damage to some extent, it's expected that the higher level you will invest more time improving your characters and do more damage so obviously the enemies scale to match what you're expected to be able to deal with... like if you go 10 AR levels and haven't upgraded a single artifact thats kinda on you

(granted i basically did this from 35-45 but its not recommended)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

At WL6 bosses (hypostases/regisvines/oceanid) drop a 5* artifact ~40% of the time, at WL7 (AR50) they drop it ~65% of the time, and at WL8 (AR55) they're guaranteed to drop one.

Enemy hp increase doesn't really bother me because I don't really kill many enemies anyways. Just a few for dailies and that will never ever be hard.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On Beidou the Sacrificial Greatsword, with a base 40% chance of no cool down on E, is super fun. Its main stat energy recharge is undervalued and fun to build around.

The problem with it is that the only 5* I've pulled outside the initial roll is Wolf's Gravestone.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Speaking of Sacrificial Greatsword, it's the perfect weapon for support Xinyan. Her E has a relatively long cooldown and the pulsing damage on her shield gives her multiple chances to proc it. If you have C2, the shield from using burst also works! And the cherry on top is the ER to let her use her awesome burst even more.

Thought I'd never have a use for the one I pulled, but now I'm glad I have it.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
What is a good "safe" battlepass weapon? I am not really missing anything and I just hit level 50 on the BP so I figure I should shell out the $10 to get everything else on it. Right now I am leaning towards the 1H sword just because but I do not have anyone who specifically needs it... yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The one hand and the greatsword are good, it all depends on which characters you want to invest in and what you already have when it comes to gacha weapons