Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Liberal Party voters loving love means testing. "I think everyone who needs should get it but by golly if I hear about a welfare queen I'm voting Conservative."

Edit: source: my friend's retired cop mom.

Papa Was A Video Toaster has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Getting Cerb was likely they family's first real wage increase in years. god forbid Canadians get some purchasing power once in a while.

I called my MP about this. I don't imagine it will make a difference but who can say.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The means testing is coming from inside the thread!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The idea of giving everyone CERB and then taxing it back from those who didn't need it afterwards is way too efficient and makes way too much sense to ever be adopted as policy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is there a meaningful difference between taxing it back and requiring it be repaid if you didn't qualify?

i feel like there might be, but it seems like mostly a matter of tone.

e: with the exception of people who didn't qualify because they had no income, as long as they continue to have no income they're not going to be paying taxes, so yeah definitely different for them.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Dec 13, 2020

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

taxing it back doesn't require a dedicated enforcement structure, for one thing. and the tone isn't unimportant.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

vyelkin posted:

The idea of giving everyone CERB and then taxing it back from those who didn't need it afterwards is way too efficient and makes way too much sense to ever be adopted as policy

That's pretty much what's happening here with this lady's cake business.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

is there a meaningful difference between taxing it back and requiring it be repaid if you didn't qualify?

i feel like there might be, but it seems like mostly a matter of tone

he said "need" not "qualify". CERB for everyone that needs it isn't CERB, its UBI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rutibex posted:

he said "need" not "qualify". CERB for everyone that needs it isn't CERB, its UBI

well, yes, it would be.

CERB on the other hand is very much means tested

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i feel like there might be, but it seems like mostly a matter of tone.

e: with the exception of people who didn't qualify because they had no income, as long as they continue to have no income they're not going to be paying taxes, so yeah definitely different for them.

yes

because if everyone qualifies by default, then what matters most is overall annual income, not arbitrary edge cases of who does or doesn't qualify

it also means it isn't a binary switch of do you qualify yes/no, you could get CERB and repay half of it, or a quarter of it, or three fifths of it, or whatever, depending on your overall income in the year, it wouldn't be an all-or-nothing thing where some people who don't need it qualify and get it no strings attached, and some people who need it don't qualify and so get $0 because they fall through some dumb loophole or in a category of people who don't count

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well, yes, it would be.

CERB on the other hand is very much means tested

aka you have to have enough means

the idea that there was a minimum requirement to get support during the pandemic is still relentlessly hosed

just die, poors/disabled people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

the idea that there was a minimum requirement to get support during the pandemic is still relentlessly hosed

it absolutely is, and i have no idea why the government created an EI replacement that was essentially just EI with looser eligibility requirements.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

because L/liberals are opposed to helping people

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Reality Protester posted:

Getting Cerb was likely they family's first real wage increase in years. god forbid Canadians get some purchasing power once in a while.

No, it likely wasn't. If you read the article, and more specifically what the article doesn't say, they leave out what this particular family's household income is, probably because it's way higher than the median considering one of them can run a hobby business instead of having to get a soul crushing minimum wage job or three to barely get by like people who actually needed CERB.

I agree with everyone that means testing sucks, but that's the system we already got and a bunch of rich idiots gamed it with their hobby businesses. The CRA cracking down on them doesn't take the money away from people who actually needed it, or it least it didn't in this case.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
could not give less of a poo poo about a hobby cake business getting 18.5k when almost every company that got the CEWS is dumping employees left and right

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

it absolutely is, and i have no idea why the government created an EI replacement that was essentially just EI with looser eligibility requirements.

they see the writing on the wall, UBI is necessary. they don't want to just give it to us though, they want to save it so they can promise it in the next election and take maximum credit

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

they see the writing on the wall, UBI is necessary. they don't want to just give it to us though, they want to save it so they can promise it in the next election and take maximum credit

This pandemic has brought to the forefront the fact that we're going to need to make a ton of systemic changes to our society in order to survive the future. This means the wealthy will need to give up some of their assets and they're delaying what they know is inevitable. Most of them are holding out for some miracle that means they personally won't be taking that haircut.

But one thing's for certain, it's coming, one way or another.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Rutibex posted:

You missed the part where they don't actually do it after the election is over.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

mediaphage posted:

(would a male freelance developer in the same case who said he was setting out to build his own agency have been accused of running a vanity business if his wife had a job? i legit don’t think so)

prefacing this by saying I think everyone should have gotten CERB and i'm opposed to means testing, but yes someone running a software development agency that only cleared $5k in income is the exact same as someone running a cake business that only cleared $5k. going after this woman for $18.5k when a bunch of giant corporations have bilked the government out of millions of dollars is typical liberal bullshit, but it's still a vanity business.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://twitter.com/LLinWood/status/1338219546684121089

Oh poo poo they're onto us

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Downs nobody here sincerely see a problem with offering a bunch of destitute people thousands of dollars with no checks on if they qualify then yanking it back and making them repay it a year later with money they do not have or by taking away benefits they rely on for basic needs

It's a hosed up situation

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
just give everyone two grand a month and raise the uppermost tax bracket by 20% to cover it

a $24k/year raise would move me from "renting until I die" to "buying a townhouse" fuckin overnight

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

just give everyone two grand a month and raise the uppermost tax bracket by 20% to cover it

a $24k/year raise would move me from "renting until I die" to "buying a townhouse" fuckin overnight

Yeah it would also raise your rent by about 2k a month and the price of a townhouse by the present value of 2k a month in perpetuity.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

housing in general is Too Expensive and ubi is not the way to solve it. maximum allowable rent increases help but it's hardly enough.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
No the only way to get affordable housing is for the market to catastrophically crash, ideally by inflating interest rates. We could also ban private loans and gifts for downpayments, ban cosigning, create limits on leverage, tax all principal properties, tax 100% of capital gains, and also while i'm at it i'd really like a pony

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jettisonedstuff posted:

Yeah it would also raise your rent by about 2k a month and the price of a townhouse by the present value of 2k a month in perpetuity.

Maybe in Vancouver. Probably not in Medicine Hat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I lust for a housing market crash. The housing market in nova scotia is beyond hosed because the only people who own houses are boomers who hoard them like loving real estate dragons because "it's an investment!!!!!!"

It's not an investment if nobody can afford your loving 400k duplex you loving lunatics oh my god

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

No the only way to get affordable housing is for the market to catastrophically crash, ideally by inflating interest rates. We could also ban private loans and gifts for downpayments, ban cosigning, create limits on leverage, tax all principal properties, tax 100% of capital gains, and also while i'm at it i'd really like a pony

i hope the government opens up some crown land for homesteaders. we have lots of land, just let me build my own house

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

prom candy posted:

prefacing this by saying I think everyone should have gotten CERB and i'm opposed to means testing, but yes someone running a software development agency that only cleared $5k in income is the exact same as someone running a cake business that only cleared $5k. going after this woman for $18.5k when a bunch of giant corporations have bilked the government out of millions of dollars is typical liberal bullshit, but it's still a vanity business.

at what point is a vanity business a real business? what if they make 15k the next year by building on the prior year's success? do you think you just instantly become successful and rich when you start out?

who the gently caress cares, calling it a vanity business was 100% because it was a woman baking cakes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

i hope the government opens up some crown land for homesteaders. we have lots of land, just let me build my own house

1) The current political, socioeconomic situation, and climate change are all culminating in housing in the middle of loving nowhere on the edge of crown land being more unfeasible than it already is.

2) If this happens anyway and you do that you better not be one of those people that moves into the sticks and then starts trying to bully people using adjacent land that's still designated crown land for stuff you don't approve of. Crown land is where people go to hunt fish trap camp bike and (unfortunately) rip around on ATVs and stuff and we're sick of people moving in next door and then trying to get all that shut down. Well except maybe the idiots that want to just run circles on quads for no reason other than to make noise and burn gas, they suck and scare all the game away.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rutibex posted:

Turning wilderness into low-density housing isn't the best idea.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

1) The current political, socioeconomic situation, and climate change are all culminating in housing in the middle of loving nowhere on the edge of crown land being more unfeasible than it already is.

2) If this happens anyway and you do that you better not be one of those people that moves into the sticks and then starts trying to bully people using adjacent land that's still designated crown land for stuff you don't approve of. Crown land is where people go to hunt fish trap camp bike and (unfortunately) rip around on ATVs and stuff and we're sick of people moving in next door and then trying to get all that shut down. Well except maybe the idiots that want to just run circles on quads for no reason other than to make noise and burn gas, they suck and scare all the game away.

sounds like you got a pretty nice deal and you don't want anyone else having a piece :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't live there, I just go out for the day or maybe go on a weekend and pitch a tent and spend my weekend hunting and riding and pooping in a hole like God intended.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they let you post on crown land?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
sorry Rutibex, we split up all the land before you were born and all these rich guys have it. this is the system they came up with so its fair. yeah like 80% of it is just wilderness thats not being used by anyone, but you can't have any of that. its a nature preserve, the rich guys say so the like to go fishing.

if you want some land just participate in this system the rich guys set up. its totally fair if you work hard enough you can have a one of the pieces they claimed long ago. not the empty land though, that not for anyone!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

What if everything was crown land, except instead of "crown" it would be "hat" or something, since in this hypothetical scenario we would also be a republic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't care what the land is called i just don't want to pay rent any more

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Which place would have clean water first, uninhabitable crown land settled in the modern day or First Nation communities?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I just drink my own piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

I just drink my own piss

get out of here bear grylls