Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I think people need to do more, especially in tournament games, is walling in their trebs when the other guys only way to respond is suicide rushing with cheap melee units, a cheap wall or production building or even some houses would prevent a 200w 200g unit from dying and keeping the enemy base alive.

That and stacking archers against a couple buildings or natural walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Woah, forwarding this advanced strat to viper straight away.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I think people need to do more, especially in tournament games, is walling in their trebs when the other guys only way to respond is suicide rushing with cheap melee units, a cheap wall or production building or even some houses would prevent a 200w 200g unit from dying and keeping the enemy base alive.

That and stacking archers against a couple buildings or natural walls.

I've seen hera do it so it does happen sometimes. They might just be strained for attention

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Meanwhile in the poo poo-tier player category:

The cost of another terrible weekend adventure, 3v5AI. We somehow won, but not by actually doing anything strategic :buddy:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
holy poo poo an amazing low elo legends going right now

Blu built a minas tirith in arena and brought red down to 40ish pop, red onager cut into his back and is still figjting on with a base in the former woods with huge resources while blue is tapped out. This is gonna hit two hours.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 8, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If I turn off record for single player skirmishes, will it automatically record multiplayer games? I don't want to experiment and find out it doesn't but I have no interest in me murdering the comps

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Yeah if you've disabled it on the skirmish screen it should only disable local single player games. Ranked games are always recorded and publicly available either way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New event out if you hunt rewards

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Khorne posted:

You can probably play 1v1 non-treaty without crashes most of the time. Balance is fine. It's better than TAD balance and probably just as good as esoc patch.

Native civs are in a weird place where the mine change actually helps vs harassment but native civs aren't exactly new player friendly and they'd benefit most from the change. I've no idea if they will change the balance of it, but probably because it doesn't seem popular with anyone.

Single player is still pretty messed up.

Crashes aren't fixed. If you play in a long game or with more than 1v1 player counts you have a pretty good chance of crashing. In most games > 20 mins it crashes.

AoE3 annoys me more than any other age game because it has all the components to be the best in the series but they managed to stick them together with bubble gum leaving aoe2 as king. AoE1 DM (cho war is still a favorite) & AoE2 RM are still good fun. AoE3 is also the only RTS game people I know ever want to play except the goons I added on steam from the gbs aoe2 thread a while ago.

Bummer to hear that it's still messed up. Thanks for confirming though, I appreciate it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

Bummer to hear that it's still messed up. Thanks for confirming though, I appreciate it.
They released a patch a few days ago that may have fixed it. I haven't had time to play since the patch but they claimed to fix many of the bugs for multiplayer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh my god you have to get the snowman at arms

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh my god you have to get the snowman at arms

Snow-lo-lo... Ay-ho-ho-ho...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Deranged mutant killer monster snow goons?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Khorne posted:

You can probably play 1v1 non-treaty without crashes most of the time. Balance is fine. It's better than TAD balance and probably just as good as esoc patch.

Native civs are in a weird place where the mine change actually helps vs harassment but native civs aren't exactly new player friendly and they'd benefit most from the change. I've no idea if they will change the balance of it, but probably because it doesn't seem popular with anyone.

Single player is still pretty messed up.

Crashes aren't fixed. If you play in a long game or with more than 1v1 player counts you have a pretty good chance of crashing. In most games > 20 mins it crashes.

AoE3 annoys me more than any other age game because it has all the components to be the best in the series but they managed to stick them together with bubble gum leaving aoe2 as king. AoE1 DM (cho war is still a favorite) & AoE2 RM are still good fun. AoE3 is also the only RTS game people I know ever want to play except the goons I added on steam from the gbs aoe2 thread a while ago.
I'm just hoping AOM gets a DE since I feel they can really make it the best of the series (granted I already think it is the best :v:)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Aoe2 hd Ai keeps resigning before they've even hit castle age and before I've even begun to produce military any fixes?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Today Finland vs China and Canada vs Spain in the World Cup.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:canada: is having a bad time.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

Aoe2 hd Ai keeps resigning before they've even hit castle age and before I've even begun to produce military any fixes?

AI resigns if the score difference is too large, so that might be the source of the problem.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
just won my first ranked game. I'm king of the goddam world

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

just won my first ranked game. I'm king of the goddam world

:woop:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Interesting matches today, more one-sided than I expected tbh.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:canada: is having a bad time.

Welp, my goondolences to Hera, he's a great dude but TatoH is muh boy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Any hotkey to cancel units in a queue? If I've queued up 4 villagers but want to cancel one so I can spend the 50 food elsewhere can I do that without having to actually click? In wc3, it's escape...

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Milo and POTUS posted:

Any hotkey to cancel units in a queue? If I've queued up 4 villagers but want to cancel one so I can spend the 50 food elsewhere can I do that without having to actually click? In wc3, it's escape...

No hotkey, but one of the updates in the latest patch lets you cancel things in the global queue (the top left of your screen) by CTRL-Left Clicking them. I think it ends up being faster than a hotkey would be since you don't have to go to the production building to do it.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Ash Crimson posted:

I haven't tested it myself but apparently if you set your chat to the enemy and type 104 it will make it so they don't resign.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

i vomit kittens posted:

I haven't tested it myself but apparently if you set your chat to the enemy and type 104 it will make it so they don't resign.

Thanks. Enemy resigned again when I had a 40 point lead?? Crazy, only 12 mins in and didn't even have any military attacking yet

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

i vomit kittens posted:

Then type in 105 to let them resign again (if you don't feel like chasing down every last enemy villager and production building).

Alternatively, type 105 in multiplayer chat to be very disrespectful to your opponent.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
If I'm not mistaken the AI commands are for the DE AI and they don't work on the HD AI.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Harveygod posted:

Alternatively, type 105 in multiplayer chat to be very disrespectful to your opponent.
I feel like typing almost any number in chat is disrespectful especially since hardly anyone knows all the new DE numbers yet

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I haven't played in a few months and jumped straight back into ranked and managed to bring my record from 1-3 to 3-3 and 997 ELO :toot:

People in SC2 talk about ladder anxiety and while it's never really affected me in that game I feel like I'm too bad at resource management in AoE2 to keep up, and it doesn't help that I get smashed in a lot of the "NOOBS ONLY" team lobbies I join. One of the people I beat today had more than 600 games played though so I guess I can't be doing that bad.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
The best thing is joining a noob game and then getting berated at the end of a game for being a noob.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Apparently noobs only means "doesn't play ladder" only. There are a lot of people who don't belong in noobs only games. You should tell them as such, an insinuate that they're cowards for grinding easy wins. Just don't call them a dick for doing so!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Never join a "Noob" lobby expecting actual noob gameplay. People have always played fast and loose with that term. I think it was even worse before DE.

If you want reliable team games you need to make your own party instead of randos.

\/e: Yes, it really is. The most random things get ****** out. I played with some French guys and so I copied the translation for "I think I'm dead" and for whatever reason that got blocked. Ar least they got around to whitelisting "onager".

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 15, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Seriously the chat filter is bullshit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn’t realize they’d be making new expansions for this still

That said: polynesian civ when??

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
New DLC coming next year: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/pre-order-lords-of-the-west/

Two new civs and some new campaigns, after they said they were done adding civs to the game :<

Personally, I'm not a huge fan, but I'll probably pick it up anyway, assuming it will have some more QoL content alongside the new stuff.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fano posted:

New DLC coming next year: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/pre-order-lords-of-the-west/

Two new civs and some new campaigns, after they said they were done adding civs to the game :<

Personally, I'm not a huge fan, but I'll probably pick it up anyway, assuming it will have some more QoL content alongside the new stuff.

I mean I'm always a fan of new campaigns. Hoping they also do another pack or two for AoE3 also. Always felt weird you had the Asian Dynasties just sticking on totally unconnected to the other two.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Yeah I've been kicked from lobbies for having played any ranked games at all despite having only 4 of them at the time and having lost the majority of them. The one time my friend and I did end up in a 2v2 with similarly skilled people they asked us for a rematch and then loaded up a custom map that gave them a near infinite supply of gold right by their town centers. We still won.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Burgundians look loving wild

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

StashAugustine posted:

New civs are usually broken, but Burgundians sounds OP af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

StashAugustine posted:

Yup, definitely look like they are going to be nerfed