Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

YouTube has a front page? :o

(I do the same thing - bookmark straight to Sub Feed. Can't imagine using the site any other way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

The Quartering is loving married?!

That NoBullshit far right idiot is having a kid :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpaceCommie posted:

I just bookmarked the subscriptions page of youtube and use that to go to the site, so the first thing I see is my subbed channels videos in chronological order.

I kept finding it really weird that everyone was saying "hit the bell to be notified of a new video, because YouTube doesn't always tell my subscribers" because I rarely even look at the actual front page of youtube anymore.

they do this because people found out that sometimes videos just don't show up on people's subscriptions pages, especially if you're following a lot of channels/people that post a lot of videos

I don't know if whatever the issue that caused that to happen still exists, but it was enough that I shoved all my youtube subscriptions into my rss reader that I still use just to make sure I don't miss anything

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

YouTube has a front page? :o

(I do the same thing - bookmark straight to Sub Feed. Can't imagine using the site any other way.)

I'm exclusively using the front page, because it has this handy list of whatever my subscribed channels have put out recently. I think I stopped using bookmarks on YouTube back around 2010/2011, when I made my own channel and started uploading videos. Since then the subscribe-button has been my bookmark

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I actually just subscribe to the rss feed of channels, it's nice to know that whenever a new video is out it pops up there in the corner of the screen.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

flatluigi posted:

they do this because people found out that sometimes videos just don't show up on people's subscriptions pages, especially if you're following a lot of channels/people that post a lot of videos

Huh, I've never had a video not show up in subscriptions and I subscribe to a lot of channels. Fair enough.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Thors High Heels released a new video on Ps2 games that never made it outside of Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsEQCK0O54

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpaceCommie posted:

Huh, I've never had a video not show up in subscriptions and I subscribe to a lot of channels. Fair enough.

I mean, it's hard to notice an absence if you don't know it's an issue

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

SpaceCommie posted:

How would you know? :tinfoil:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So the "hey guys, Youtube algorithm is being a big ol meanie and not showing my videos in peoples sub boxes" thing is actually true? I have never personally run into that issue myself either :shrug:

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I've been following Cinema Therapy for a while now and love the kind of setup they have. Reviewing films from a cinematic view while simultaneously dissecting the psychological aspect of it. One of them is a professional in the movie business and one is a licensed therapist. They got some really good chemistry I think and really open up a lot of thoughts/feelings about the films they review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTVQtsIfoo8
This is the video I discovered them on. And is one of their best so far imo. It goes deep into the ramifications of the situations the film depicts.

I also liked this one they did on Aragorn vs Toxic Masculinity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_KAnY5XNQ

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Shame Boy posted:

So the "hey guys, Youtube algorithm is being a big ol meanie and not showing my videos in peoples sub boxes" thing is actually true? I have never personally run into that issue myself either :shrug:

I miss some cause a lot of people uploaded poo poo at the same time but I've never not had it in the sub box if I scrolled down enough.

The only thing that makes sense is that people are using the from page when they say "Subscription Box"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 13, 2020

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Shame Boy posted:

Sub.media an independent media collective that's produces high quality documentaries, short info guides and on the streets journalism since 2006 still regularly urge subscribers to subscribe to their e-mail update list since they get more hits on their webpage player than they do on youtube despite over 25k subscribers. Turns out youtube has for years been preventing most of their uploads from appearing in feeds and recommendations. I'd been subscribed for years but only ever saw their content when actively looking at their channel page or when it was mirrored by much smaller channels.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've had a few Jim Sterling videos mysteriously fail to appear in my subscription feed, generally after he's pissed off Ubisoft or something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Shame Boy posted:

When people were making noise about it the first time I definitely went and saw that some videos were missing on my subscription page that showed up on the rss feed and on the actual channel pages, but like I said I've been mainly using my RSS feed for youtubes nowadays so I can't personally say if it's still happening

basically every major service and social media site does this too -- if you use the regular twitter app/site sometimes people just don't show up for you anymore despite you still following them, them being unmuted, and them still tweeting

everything's getting sacrificed on the altar of The Algorithm

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Captain Invictus posted:

ProZD and Erica Lindbeck with some good ol' waifu/husbando rating, for charity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KR9h84AUG0&hd=1
For shame ProZD only watching Pt1 & 2 of Jojo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
forget that, he somehow never made it through all of FLCL. you know, the show with 6 episodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

forget that, he somehow never made it through all of FLCL. you know, the show with 6 episodes.

my unpopular opinion is it's 100% possible to have enough FLCL and that number can super be less than 6 episodes

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

flcl is short but jfc is it dense

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If you didn't watch all of it just for The Pillows you have no soul

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CYBEReris posted:

It's good though, it's like.... the platonic ideal of what a show about the weirdness of puberty and adolescent relationships would be about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sexpig by night posted:

my unpopular opinion is it's 100% possible to have enough FLCL and that number can super be less than 6 episodes
you're right, that is an unpopular opinion

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

you're right, that is an unpopular opinion

they hate me for speaking the truth

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

they do hate you, correct

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Day9 has been working on his own magic deck, starting out as a mono-red deck he called Big Red:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzp5aov-gM&hd=1

eventually, realizing that mono-red is fairly vulnerable when not an embercleave aggro shitshow, he turned it into a black/red rakdos hybrid and fares pretty well, much better than before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj81XBryJ24&hd=1

the full playlist is here, he gets to a good place and then the final match ends in the most perfectly mortifying way imaginable.

It's a long road of videos but Day9 is just so goddamn upbeat and fun and funny that it just flies by before you know it. He's also pretty good at explaining why he's doing things as he does them, for the most part.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

CYBEReris posted:

That's why I respected it so much - it crammed a full season (maybe multiple) of story (and animation budget) into under three hours without resorting to filler. Hell, if I recall correctly there's even a line towards the end with "this is getting repetitive, time to end this so it had a pretty good idea when it was wearing out its welcome.

Garrand posted:

If you didn't watch all of it just for The Pillows you have no soul

Also that.

We watched a fansub of FLCL eps 1 and 2 at anime club shortly after the Japanese release - one of the execs friends in Japan had mailed them a burned copy of a fansub with no title, just "holy poo poo you have to see this" sharpied on the disk, and we knew why after the screening. We could only read about half the subtitles because of the crap fansub quality but it didn't matter, it put everything else we'd been screening into sharp relief; it was like everything else came from decades ago.

That being said, I can definitely understand it not being everyone's cup of tea.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Crap, now I’m reminded of the terrible sequel seasons to FLCL.

Well, one terrible season. The other is actually a decent coming-of-age story about teenage friendships, but it feels like the FLCL bits were stapled onto it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flcl is the manic to lain's depressive

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What I like about FLCL is that it's not a coming of age story, even if tons of analysis and it's own wiki page tell you otherwise. Rather, it's a staying of age story. Naota is desperate to grow up and fill his brother's shoes and get the girl, and scorns all the adults around him because they don't fit his superficial idea of what it means to be mature. When he tries to act more mature than he really is he gets slapped down hard, and the only character who fits his narrow definition of maturity is Amuro which tracks because he's a manchild who never grew out of the a teenager's level of emotional maturity and likewise latches on to superficial aspects somebody that age would deem "mature". Naota's ultimate lesson isn't that how to grow into the next stage of his life, but rather that it's okay for him to act his age and be a normal kid, even if that means doing dumb, immature things.

Also wow rewatching the series when you're old enough to actually understand everything that's going on with Mamimi is heartbreaking.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pants Donkey posted:

Crap, now I’m reminded of the terrible sequel seasons to FLCL.

Well, one terrible season. The other is actually a decent coming-of-age story about teenage friendships, but it feels like the FLCL bits were stapled onto it.

The original pitch for FLCL Alternative was it was a prequel to the status quo in the first FLCL, and it does still kind of show up in the plotting of the show with a lot of the big FLCL elements kind of rammed in at the end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They made a sequel?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Arcsquad12 posted:

They made a sequel?

Relatively recently, in 2018, which explains why I hadn't heard about it. Flcl was huge in my little weaboo group back in high school but I kinda fell out of most things anime in the interim.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

They made a sequel?
Adult Swim funded two sequel series. The first is a direct sequel but also pretty awful especially with them seemingly not understanding how their protagonist and themes were supposed to work together. It’s basically a poor man’s FLCL and a downgrade in every way.

The second series, as said above, seems like a prequel or maybe was more defined as a prequel early on but got changed to be more vague. So it could be a prequel or an alternate universe (it is called Alternative, after all). It’s a decent story about friendships and growing up, but I almost feel as if the FLCL elements detract from it, likely because the protagonist has more or less the opposite problem as Naota. So the wacky sci-fi hijinks tend to take away from the whole thing.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Grunch Worldflower posted:

How would you know? :tinfoil:

I follow a lot of channels I've subbed to on Twitter etc ... so I get multiple nudges and I've yet to have a video not show up in my subs page, but fair point.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

ProZD and Erica Lindbeck with some good ol' waifu/husbando rating, for charity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KR9h84AUG0&hd=1

It's incomplete, it keeps skipping ones. I want to know what they thought of Judith from Vesperia damnit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KR9h84AUG0&t=1647s

lmao Phoenix and Edgeworth making out was in the first line of images for Miles Edgeworth of course.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 14, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Adult Swim funded two sequel series. The first is a direct sequel but also pretty awful especially with them seemingly not understanding how their protagonist and themes were supposed to work together. It’s basically a poor man’s FLCL and a downgrade in every way.

The second series, as said above, seems like a prequel or maybe was more defined as a prequel early on but got changed to be more vague. So it could be a prequel or an alternate universe (it is called Alternative, after all). It’s a decent story about friendships and growing up, but I almost feel as if the FLCL elements detract from it, likely because the protagonist has more or less the opposite problem as Naota. So the wacky sci-fi hijinks tend to take away from the whole thing.

flcl progressive had flashes of brilliance buried in a huge morass of pointlessness, and most of them were in the first episode. "I have nothing left to teach you. Now, for today's lesson" is a fantastic line

alternative was generally competent up until the final fifteen minutes, which it completely botched, and that's almost worse than progressive's across-the-board malaise

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Progressive was trying to capture a protagonist suffering from enui and did that extremely well.

The problem is that that doesn't really make a fun or coherent watch and the latter half just goes off the rails in a bad way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

Progressive was trying to capture a protagonist suffering from enui and did that extremely well.

The problem is that that doesn't really make a fun or coherent watch and the latter half just goes off the rails in a bad way.

yea it 100% nailed the idea that the protagonist's biggest issue is a general ennui and malaise that isn't so much an obstacle to overcome as it is a fact of life that sometimes you just need to kinda accept as a natural thing.

The problem is that's a loving boring thing to do as a cartoon and the writers weren't actually capable of DOING anything with that theme.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patrick Willems video on Kevin Smtih gives me a Tyler Perry impression as far as declining quality of their work goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kevin Smith or Patrick Willems?