Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

It's the nosefolds for me. Looks like they're wrinkling their nose in disgust at me, which is a massive turn-on

Now we know why the Skreeans were so adamant about Bajor - they all have a shaming kink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chomp8645 posted:

This poster raises an excellent point.

A pair of excellent points.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

It's the nosefolds for me. Looks like they're wrinkling their nose in disgust at me, which is a massive turn-on

So, you're into Resting Bajoran Face are you?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

So, you're into Resting Bajoran Face are you?

:golfclap: lovely

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Learning some things about myself.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
watching Tears Of The Prophets and

A) ughhhh what is with the writers putting in these scenes of Quark and Bashir pining for Dax

B) huge, gigantic, gut-busting lols at their juvenile assumption of "oh they're going to have kids, that means the relationship will last a long time"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Poison Mind posted:

Still not sure where people get the idea that Kira would be cool and progressive. She's consistently shown to be a fundamentalist zealot whose whole schtick only works because her divine intercessors of choice literally exist and are made out to be Objectively Right. Nana Visitor is enjoyable as an actor, Kira is a god drat CHUD.

THANK YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

A) ughhhh what is with the writers putting in these scenes of Quark and Bashir pining for Dax

B) huge, gigantic, gut-busting lols at their juvenile assumption of "oh they're going to have kids, that means the relationship will last a long time"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mind posted:

Still not sure where people get the idea that Kira would be cool and progressive. She's consistently shown to be a fundamentalist zealot whose whole schtick only works because her divine intercessors of choice literally exist and are made out to be Objectively Right. Nana Visitor is enjoyable as an actor, Kira is a god drat CHUD.

Late-season Kira absolutely is progressive, but early-season Kira is someone who's had a hard upbringing and has just gotten done throwing off one oppressive regime from her planet and it looks like a new one in snappier uniforms and kinder words is threatening to replace the first. Over the course of the show she gets to chill and open her eyes to the wider galaxy and nuances that just weren't possible when your daily options were "obey and suffer" or "kill Cardassians to survive".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
more thoughts from Tears of the Prophets:

"that is, if you believe in the prophets" "well i do today!! :buddy:"

wait, hold on. nobody disputes that there's something living in the wormhole, and that they've intervened in... linear matters before. and there's plenty of other aliens with superpowers that have hosed around with people. why are we discussing them as if they're actual deities? if anything, shouldn't the notion that some aliens reached down and tucked in Dax's ovaries to make them extra-receptive to Worf's big hot Klingon sperm be a little disconcerting?

if the Dominion teleports can still zap Dukat in and out wherever he pleases, why aren't they using those to sabotage the gently caress out of DS9?

prophets don't seem to realize that Sisko hanging around the station wouldn't have stopped Dukat's rear end anyway. hell, imagine if he had been there; Dukat would have killed him and then the prophets would really have been hosed! dumbasses.

still absolutely incredible to me that Ron Moore could whine about Dax reaching for her phaser before Dukat killed her. what a loving dipshit.

if the orbital defense grid's shields are so strong, why don't the cardassians use them on their starships?

why's Bashir using the priority one frequency?

oh my god the small child saying "the orbs are gone, you have to find them, emissary!" is just... terrible. just terrible. who did this

final remark: i've said before that the writers pulled a Tasha Yar when they wrote off Dax, but here's the delicious kicker: they couldn't even write as ~~*~authentic~*~~ a sudden, shocking death as Yar's was. why do i say that? because Yar didn't get a touching deathbed conversation, she was already gone by the time they got her to sickbay, and that makes sense given what Trek's medical tech should be capable of.

(and you know those dillweeds are totally the type to jerk off about authenticity)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

more thoughts from Tears of the Prophets:

if the orbital defense grid's shields are so strong, why don't the cardassians use them on their starships?

Because they have a planet's worth of power to throw at them? :confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
no they don't. it's like, an asteroid. i mean they call it a moon but it didn't look that big to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Star Trek: Kira, wherein Nana Visitor teaches us how to make makeshift explosives for the increasingly likely Bad Time that approaches. The series gets cancelled for being too political

people don't like nuance and struggle with the idea of characters who wouldn't vote the same way they do

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

no they don't. it's like, an asteroid. i mean they call it a moon but it didn't look that big to me.

Any fixed installation is going to have more power to throw at things like energy weaponry and shields because it doesn't have to worry about the same limitations and requirements a ship does (Mass, available space, propulsion, etc). Even if you had an outpost the exact size of a ship with the same power system it'd be stronger just by not having to worry about having to keep power allocated to engines and a bunch of accompanying subsystems.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Just finished watching an iZombie with Linda Park as a guest star. Hoshi Sato definitely opened up a world of opportunities for her!!! (Playing the chef of the murder victim of the week)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
like Kira is super super super interesting as a trek character to show that you can have legit diversity of opinion and they're not all just different brands of progressive opinions. that's compelling, and i can find her compelling AND know i'd hate her as a coworker

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

they were frantically trying to make sure everyone knew that quark bashir odo miles and garak where not a gay polycule and , they didnt do a great job

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Miles and Julian kept picking WWI holoprograms because they felt high in the sky when they were in each others' trenches.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bogus Adventure posted:

Miles and Julian kept picking WWI holoprograms because they felt high in the sky when they were in each others' trenches.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any fixed installation is going to have more power to throw at things like energy weaponry and shields because it doesn't have to worry about the same limitations and requirements a ship does (Mass, available space, propulsion, etc). Even if you had an outpost the exact size of a ship with the same power system it'd be stronger just by not having to worry about having to keep power allocated to engines and a bunch of accompanying subsystems.

Space forts can't sink?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

before that the writers pulled a Tasha Yar when they wrote off Dax, but here's the delicious kicker: they couldn't even write as ~~*~authentic~*~~ a sudden, shocking death as Yar's was. why do i say that? because Yar didn't get a touching deathbed conversation, she was already gone by the time they got her to sickbay, and that makes sense given what Trek's medical tech should be capable of.

(and you know those dillweeds are totally the type to jerk off about authenticity)

Yar does get a touching deathbed conversation, it's just delivered by a prerecorded hologram while everyone stands in front of the default Windows XP background

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Right but it's post mortem is the point, she's fully dead by the time she hits the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

Space forts can't sink?

Space Forts, broadly, hand-wavingly, speaking, mostly just need to worry about maintaining orbit or sitting in place 99% of the time and all that power normally allocated to zooming from place to place via fictional speeds or methods (jump drives, warp, etc) is spent on shields or weaponry instead. If they're sinking in gravity, there's bigger problems at hand. Consider the ISS; It doesn't have the gravity-escaping engines of a shuttle or rocket slapped onto it, does it? All it needs is enough thrusters to nudge its course every so often. DS9 has bigass thrusters, but they had to fudge a lot to make that thing move from Bajoran orbit to the Wormhole without tearing itself apart with a stable structural integrity field.

Also;

Civilization

Enterprise has found itself a pre-warp industrial civilization circa roughly the 15-1600's. And today's example of "And that's why there's a rule now, children :pseudo:" is Archer and his tourist group bumbling on down with silicone facial prosthetics (no, literally) to blend in and to go poke around. Take some photos, sample the local culture, bring back souvenirs. A fun day out. What's not pre-warp, however, is the antimatter reactor they pick up while poking around. The locals nearby are getting a mite sick, and a little light breaking-and-entering of the local curio store housing the thing yields a weird field that... FORCES them back from a door to the basement. What odd strange, new, technology. They also get spotted by a local poking her nose around the shop and stun her with a phase pistol when she pulls a crossbow on the away team.

Turns out she's an Apothecary trying to work out what's going on and find a cure because whatever's going has already killed her brother and sickened a lot of people, happily sharing notes with this "Team of investigators from 'another city'" and unsubtly trying to get into Archer's pants in the finest Kirk tradition. Going back to the Curio store reveals the guy running it isn't local either. His people studied the Akaali too and he became enamoured so he stayed. All that reactor's doing is powering a few creature comforts, albeit with enough power to light up a city and a "manufacturing unit" to "replicate" a few choice items to turn a profit off of. Nothing suspicious at all. Following his mysterious midnight deliveries kinda blows the whole "another city" lie for Archer when a ship flies in and tractorbeams the packages along with a phaser-filled firefight. One that Enterprise just wasn't asked to track or pursue for some reason.

The cause of the illness isn't the reactor anyway, turns out it's a toxic chemical seeping into the local aquifer that's a byproduct from what's really going on; an illicit mining operation concealed under the curio shop. The stuff's useful for weapons as it's highly explosive, and the byproduct's the chemical poisoning the water, because apparently proper handling procedures are for people who aren't villains of the week. Archer tells them to knock it off while their ship tells Enterprise to gently caress off in orbit. T'Pol solves both problems once Archer shuts down their dampening field by simply beaming out the antimatter reactor and detonating it beside their ship :allears:. Doesn't destroy their ship, but it sure makes them back the hell off what with their cash cow gone. It also turns into a firefight in the streets as everyone runs out of the mine, so someone should probably be concerned about people talking about strangers pointing weapons shooting beams of light at eachother. No? Oh well :shrug:. They get told to gently caress off and leave the planet alone by Archer, along with the soon-to-be-regular "one day we'll have rules about this stuff" spiel, and he gets a kiss from the Apothecary before leaving the planet forever.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

For some reason I remembered it as WWI. Not gonna lie, it has been a long time since I've watched DS9.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
while they certainly had a rough go of it and suffered tremendously under cardassian occupation, the bajorans are, largely, a fuckin' drag

just real buzzkills

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CarpenterWalrus posted:

while they certainly had a rough go of it and suffered tremendously under cardassian occupation, the bajorans are, largely, a fuckin' drag

just real buzzkills

Yeah. While the occupation was completely wrong, their pre-occupation society wasn't great either. Pretty good if you were high caste, but overall kinda sucked.

In the bajorans-are-every-oppressed-rl-people, in this case they might be sort of like Tibet. Yes, the chinese invasion is wrong. The pre-invasion theocratic government also kinda sucked.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the dandruff polycule are the fans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean the producers didn't plan to kill off Dax, that was forced on them by Rick Berman refusing to let Terry Farrell be in fewer episodes and stay on the show.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

oh but seriously I posted:

the dandruff polycule are the fans

i agree they deserve to suffer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bajorans are exactly as lovely and annoying as real people and its not their fault they got stuck in the Trek containing characters who aren't exclusively robots, psychotics, or both

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean the producers didn't plan to kill off Dax, that was forced on them by Rick Berman refusing to let Terry Farrell be in fewer episodes and stay on the show.

they may not have had a choice to kill off Dax (although, did Rick Berman actually directly order the character killed, or did they just decide "welp, actor's leaving, now we get to kill a character! :buddy:") but they could have done it differently

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
farrell asked berman if she could move to part time since the show wasn't really doing much with her anyway. he immediately went nuts and made up a bunch of poo poo about farrell before killing off jadzia. it was solely and unquestionably his fault.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's amazing how much Enterprise relies on sudden lapses in crew competency for some of its stories to happen.

Fortunate Son

Enterprise gets ordered to go investigate a Y-class freighter that was attacked, just to find they don't really want help. All while somehow getting from months into travel through unexplored space back to well-traveled space in surprisingly short order. The Captain's laid out with severe neurological damage from a bunch of Nausicaan pirates attacking and robbing the ship, but they take care of their own, kindly go away and don't look around. Phlox bullies his way in to treat the guy anyway, and Archer pushes to assist as there's no point to them coming all the way just to leave, while the ship's XO's being suspect as all hell. You would be too with a Nausciaan prisoner trussed up in a cargo bay that you don't want found before you can beat info out of them.

The episode winds back-and-forth with the crew interacting with the freighter's, until T'Pol picks up the Nausciaan's biosign and oh dear, we thought they were trustworthy friends :ohdear:. The XO leads Archer, T'Pol and Reed into the most obvious ambush ever, shooting a hole in the bulkhead before ejecting it with all three inside while the ship jumps to warp, leaving Enterprise to recover its senior officers. A ship that can only do barely Warp 1.8 and takes ages to go anywhere somehow manages to elude the pursuit of Starfleet's brand-new starship while the freighter goes to hunt the Nausicaan's ship armed with the shield frequencies the XO beat out of their prisoner. What the prisoner failed to mention was the Nausicaan's had a base near the asteroid it was hiding around, along with several more ships. Also the shield frequencies were a lie. I know, I'm shocked too. The freighter gets hosed up, and Enterprise arrives in the nick of time to get both sides to drop their weapons and let the prisoner go. Along with a general threat to the Nausicaans that Starfleet's new NX ships are here and Enterprise is just the first of many.

It's a neat little episode trying to show what life's like in Enterprise's era with older ships taking years to hall freight anywhere interstellar, but it really just wants to show off a TNG reference and the XO's a pretty one-note Ahab analogy, wanting revenge for his injured crew. Also the show really likes to have Enterprise travel at the speed of plot, with them documenting that they've been out for weeks or months just to get them to turn around and head back somewhere relatively-local in days or hours. (You could argue they're probably not flying out in a straight line while poking and prodding at various stellar phenomena, but there's clearly a lot of suspension of disbelief and plot-speed at play).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's amazing how much Enterprise relies on sudden lapses in crew competency for some of its stories to happen.

Fortunate Son

Enterprise gets ordered to go investigate a Y-class freighter that was attacked, just to find they don't really want help. All while somehow getting from months into travel through unexplored space back to well-traveled space in surprisingly short order. The Captain's laid out with severe neurological damage from a bunch of Nausicaan pirates attacking and robbing the ship, but they take care of their own, kindly go away and don't look around. Phlox bullies his way in to treat the guy anyway, and Archer pushes to assist as there's no point to them coming all the way just to leave, while the ship's XO's being suspect as all hell. You would be too with a Nausciaan prisoner trussed up in a cargo bay that you don't want found before you can beat info out of them.

The episode winds back-and-forth with the crew interacting with the freighter's, until T'Pol picks up the Nausciaan's biosign and oh dear, we thought they were trustworthy friends :ohdear:. The XO leads Archer, T'Pol and Reed into the most obvious ambush ever, shooting a hole in the bulkhead before ejecting it with all three inside while the ship jumps to warp, leaving Enterprise to recover its senior officers. A ship that can only do barely Warp 1.8 and takes ages to go anywhere somehow manages to elude the pursuit of Starfleet's brand-new starship while the freighter goes to hunt the Nausicaan's ship armed with the shield frequencies the XO beat out of their prisoner. What the prisoner failed to mention was the Nausicaan's had a base near the asteroid it was hiding around, along with several more ships. Also the shield frequencies were a lie. I know, I'm shocked too. The freighter gets hosed up, and Enterprise arrives in the nick of time to get both sides to drop their weapons and let the prisoner go. Along with a general threat to the Nausicaans that Starfleet's new NX ships are here and Enterprise is just the first of many.

It's a neat little episode trying to show what life's like in Enterprise's era with older ships taking years to hall freight anywhere interstellar, but it really just wants to show off a TNG reference and the XO's a pretty one-note Ahab analogy, wanting revenge for his injured crew. Also the show really likes to have Enterprise travel at the speed of plot, with them documenting that they've been out for weeks or months just to get them to turn around and head back somewhere relatively-local in days or hours. (You could argue they're probably not flying out in a straight line while poking and prodding at various stellar phenomena, but there's clearly a lot of suspension of disbelief and plot-speed at play).

Star Trek always has moved at the speed of plot. It just was more convenient to do so when you have more than five warp factors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sweet geek swag posted:

Star Trek always has moved at the speed of plot. It just was more convenient to do so when you have more than five warp factors.

Oh no, I totally get that. I just think its more funny in Enterprise's case when they try to make a big deal of them being months out into deep space, "making history with every lightyear" going out where humans have never gone before, and still making it back home in a span of days any time Admiral Forrest calls asking for help.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

also I thought it took them so long to follow that ship because of their myopic sensors and not their warp speed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sorry, forgot this was star trek. SensORs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CainFortea posted:

Sorry, forgot this was star trek. SensORs.

I think this was a gag in Lower Decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think this was a gag in Lower Decks.

It was!