Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Kept trying to talk myself into Pursuit of Happiness: Big Box but even liking the notion of the theme, it was just a little too formulaic worker placement for me to put my money into. Open to last-minute advocacy on its behalf, but I just haven't seen something hidden in the various reviews that would make me want to take the plunge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Memnaelar posted:

Kept trying to talk myself into Pursuit of Happiness: Big Box but even liking the notion of the theme, it was just a little too formulaic worker placement for me to put my money into. Open to last-minute advocacy on its behalf, but I just haven't seen something hidden in the various reviews that would make me want to take the plunge.
While buying it piece by piece wouldn't have been so intimidating, I think I'm scared off by the large All-In price in one go. Decided against it in the end.

I would have been playing it mostly solo anyway and people have mentioned that it's more swingy that way where you might not get the cards you're aiming for due to RNG.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I've given up any hope on ever receiving or playing Tainted Grail, and based on what I've read that's not really the worst thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

I've given up any hope on ever receiving or playing Tainted Grail, and based on what I've read that's not really the worst thing.

Wave 2 is beginning shipment in Europe and Asia and estimated to hit January in a lot of other areas. And it's my favorite game this year. FWIW.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Memnaelar posted:

I have no interest in the "big box". I have the main game, and all the expansions up til now, and there's no problem fitting them. So I'm not sure the point. It's a fun worker placement game, and if you like the theme, that will give it an edge, as it does for me. I would probably just pick up the main game, and see if you like it, or play it on Tabletop Sim or something.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

malkav11 posted:

Wave 2 is beginning shipment in Europe and Asia and estimated to hit January in a lot of other areas. And it's my favorite game this year. FWIW.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on TG. I bought Etherfields and am impressed but have seen a lot of negative takes on TG by comparison, calling it grindy and repetitive. What's given it staying power for you?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Memnaelar posted:

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on TG. I bought Etherfields and am impressed but have seen a lot of negative takes on TG by comparison, calling it grindy and repetitive. What's given it staying power for you?

I owned both and sold both, and honestly to me there's a lot of similarities between the two. To me they both felt predominantly like 'choose your own adventure' books with simple mechanical systems tacked on. Both suffered for me due to repetition and grinding (getting food/resources in TG, slumbers in Etherfields). TG's grind felt more oppressive to me than Etherfields - particularly early on where you had to be constantly doing enemy encounters just to stay afloat. But I also found the combat mechanics in TG more interesting, whereas the slumbers in Etherfield felt very dull to me after seeing them all a few times.

Overall though I think the games are very much likely to appeal to the same sorts of players, which I imagine is people who are more interested in the world building and narrative rather than the mechanics - which is not me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kerro posted:

I owned both and sold both, and honestly to me there's a lot of similarities between the two. To me they both felt predominantly like 'choose your own adventure' books with simple mechanical systems tacked on. Both suffered for me due to repetition and grinding (getting food/resources in TG, slumbers in Etherfields). TG's grind felt more oppressive to me than Etherfields - particularly early on where you had to be constantly doing enemy encounters just to stay afloat. But I also found the combat mechanics in TG more interesting, whereas the slumbers in Etherfield felt very dull to me after seeing them all a few times.

Overall though I think the games are very much likely to appeal to the same sorts of players, which I imagine is people who are more interested in the world building and narrative rather than the mechanics - which is not me.

I think this is a mostly fair assessment, although for me the balance is skewed the other way - Etherfields' Slumber encounters are more regular and the early ones have been less interesting than TG's combat and diplomacy encounters and I didn't feel like we were grinding particularly in TG, while I've felt the early game in Etherfields is maybe a bit too simplistic and repetitive. But I would absolutely say that they are more about story, atmosphere and exploration and I've played a lot of more story-oriented coop fare and none of them have done it nearly as well as Tainted Grail did. Etherfields unlocks so much of the game as you go that it's not starting off as strongly, IMO. But I still really like it.

That Italian Guy is doing an interactive forum playthrough of TG here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944128
if anyone's curious to see some early gameplay.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
drat. That playthrough does a pretty good job of selling me in spite of myself. I may just have to rely on my contact to grab a copy when second wave ships early next year. They really are second-to-none in terms of visual presentation and building a mystery box story for you to explore.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

malkav11 posted:

I was being a bit facetious about never getting it, but I will say that yours is the first really positive buzz I've heard about it at all. That eases my mind a little, which is good because I'm pretty much all in on it. I got most of the story expansions available and the miniatures for my wife to paint, the only thing I didn't get was the sundrop runs.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I have no idea how our tastes compare to yours, but the friend I played it with and I both just adored it. And basically took every chance we had to get together to play it.

It's a good thing we finished before March.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

LeSquide posted:

Fragged Cyberpunk is in its last 36 hours. I'm happy to see a week-long supplement kickstarter do so well, happy to see new Fragged material, and happy to have a new take on cyberpunk. It's also totally self contained, so if folks are interested in it but don't want to cross reference with another book, it's a good place to check out Fragged (especially in advance of the second edition).

Just wanted to boost this a bit, Fragged is a really fun system! I finished my second campaign of 1e recently and had a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm very interested to see how it ends up, being a sort of "prequel" to the main game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So a game I kickstarted quite a while ago - Valor & Villainy, MInions of Mordak - just arrived last night. I backed it because it looked like an absurd amount of stuff for $60.

Sure enough it's got an absurd amount of high-quality components, and I have absolutely no idea how/if they made money on this. The minis are fantastic, the character boards are hefty, and the art is fun.

Jury's still out on if the game is any good because I haven't played it yet, but drat. (Oh and the humor is terrible, but since I got this to play with my kids that's fine.)

The only cheap part is that the box feels relatively flimsy. I guess they had to cut corners somehow?

e: Sorry about the rotation. My phone takes pictures in HEIC and the rotation info gets cleared out when I convert them to jpg for upload. :v:

Box is bigger than I had expected.

The inserts are really well-made GameTrayz and designed for play. There's a clear lid on the top one that holds the tiny bits and bobs.

Minis!

Ignore my dry skin!

Lower GameTrayz deck....

One of the character boards. They're double layered, so you can put upgrades in little slots.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 6, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Loathe as I am to support Queen Games--they just launched another Alhambra Kickstarter, this one for an updated Big Box, now including Expansion 6 and the two Queenies by default.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/queengames/alhambra-big-box-2nd-edition

They also have a bundle of the new Big Box plus the Designer's Edition expansions, which gives you the functionality of the Mega Box--just in two boxes and at the old, smaller, tile size.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

jivjov posted:

Loathe as I am to support Queen Games--they just launched another Alhambra Kickstarter, this one for an updated Big Box, now including Expansion 6 and the two Queenies by default.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/queengames/alhambra-big-box-2nd-edition

They also have a bundle of the new Big Box plus the Designer's Edition expansions, which gives you the functionality of the Mega Box--just in two boxes and at the old, smaller, tile size.

I got my Alhambra big box from the last kickstarter, it was just like a year late, then later, and caused a lot of stress cause I had to bother them multiple times because they never sent it when they said they did. I really wouldn't recommend it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OgreNoah posted:

I got my Alhambra big box from the last kickstarter, it was just like a year late, then later, and caused a lot of stress cause I had to bother them multiple times because they never sent it when they said they did. I really wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah, I wish I didn't like some of their games so much--great designs, not so great publisher.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zurui posted:

Received my copy of Alice Is Missing. Very high-quality components, new rulebook smell, very excited to get this quarantine-friendly game off the ground!

I got that too ! It does look very nice, but I haven't dug into it yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is probably not the thread for it (and if it exists point me to it), but is anyone organizing a game of Alice is missing?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tired of playing chess on the same old boring flat surface? I give you the 4Tier Chess Board!

Same ruleset, but I guess this opens up the possibility of stealth movement and sneak attacks.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is it too late to purchase a hardcover copy of Hardwire Island? Second hand aside, of course.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Moon Monster posted:

Tired of playing chess on the same old boring flat surface? I give you the 4Tier Chess Board!

Same ruleset, but I guess this opens up the possibility of stealth movement and sneak attacks.

lol I can see why someone would choose this time to launch their dubious chess kickstarter but £225,000 is a bold target

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Is it too late to purchase a hardcover copy of Hardwire Island? Second hand aside, of course.

We'll be selling copies after the launch!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lol the wyrmwood ceo had to step down.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Azubah posted:

Lol the wyrmwood ceo had to step down.

Wait, what happened?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

Wait, what happened?

Unclear, they just put out a backer update that Jason is taking over as CEO. Doug is still with the company but “working on other things”.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The video update from last week or so about how major changes we're happening makes more sense now.

I don't know if they'll document what happened like they did everything else, I think their video series was more of a Doug thing than anything else.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'd guess taking the blame for the OSHA stuff talked about before?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I'd guess taking the blame for the OSHA stuff talked about before?

They just posted a video of Doug’s resignation speech and it’s basically that. He realized he’s not the person to take Wyrmwood to the level of scale it’s going to be at (because he’s going to get them sued, basically) based on some internal concerns about OSHA stuff, general stability/predictably stuff. He’s probably right, and I think Jason and James (the guy from Keystone) will do a better job as the company gets bigger.

So nothing external, no lawsuits or whatever, but that’s still the driving force - not getting to the point where there’s a Big Problem.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hadn't checked KS for a bit and it looks like A War of Whispers is shipping out this week, really looking for tears to getting this to the table
(Even if the rule book could use some heavy clarification)

wrt Wyrmwood, it's good seeing them actually acknowledging the need for more structure and OHSA regulations; particularly with all the video evidence they produce.
(Which was then hilarious to see someone standing inside a machine whole repairing it)

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 13, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Techbro Wyrmwood CEO steps down

I couldn't stomach watching all of it - what I watched included:

- The peasants are revolting but I found out we can be sued for things under my control. Who knew?
- We will meet OSHA standards! Which I stopped before because who cares about workers health!
- Not wearing a mask while shouting at everyone.
- I dislike the law and would prefer to ignore it but the law says no. We will meet the minimum possible requirements!
- I hate having to provide health care to my employee's but apparently that's a thing now?
- We will have a HR person! I don't know what HR is but we will get one!

Someone better than me should watch the whole thing and get an actual list of what happened, what's happening and whats going to happen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Comstar posted:

- I hate having to provide health care to my employee's but apparently that's a thing now?

This one is valid. They did an episode of it and it's basically 'America is a nightmare zone for healthcare'

They were discussing not paying for health insurance and passing the money saved onto workers directly because they would run into issues where if you didn't go to This Specific Doctor and This Specific Hospital you weren't covered and it was hellishly expensive.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Infinitum posted:

This one is valid. They did an episode of it and it's basically 'America is a nightmare zone for healthcare'

They bought the company 6 months ago, and only discovered this out a month or so ago. Not having ANYONE in HR is probably one of the many reasons for this but it's amazing they haven't lost anyone to the combination of having no healthcare OR OSHA policies.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Comstar posted:

This is a much harsher read of the situation than I came away with. I read it as a small company CEO realizing that his business is now too big to be managed by someone like him, who is more interested in employee freedom and flexibility than following the letter of the law.

I think it comes across as techbro-y because it includes a lot of the same things that techbros say, but most techbro CEOs don’t step down at that point, they resist or half-rear end implementing the necessary things, whereas Doug is intentionally saying someone other than him will do a better job of taking the company where it needs to go from here, not disagreeing that these things need to be done.

I disagree with Doug on a fair few things, but he seems to genuinely care about his employees and is willing to let someone else take the reins when they tell him he’s not doing a good job. I agree someone else needs to be CEO, but I don’t think he’s a bad person or has had self centered motivations for the things he’s done thus far.

Also keep in mind that this company has basically exploded over the course of a year or two, including a large acquisition. No HR department and not providing health benefits (which, as mentioned above, honestly sounds like a reasonable tradeoff in MA) are a lot more acceptable for a ~20 person company in 1 state than a 100+ person one across 2 states, and that change happened really fast, on top of dealing with COVID. I’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt, especially given that they’re taking steps to catch up with where they should be.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Comstar posted:

They bought the company 6 months ago, and only discovered this out a month or so ago. Not having ANYONE in HR is probably one of the many reasons for this but it's amazing they haven't lost anyone to the combination of having no healthcare OR OSHA policies.

They merged with another company that is predominantly Amish, and their response to healthcare coverage was essentially "oh yeah we pass a hat around whenever one of us gets sick"

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Comstar posted:

Techbro Wyrmwood CEO steps down

- The peasants are revolting but I found out we can be sued for things under my control. Who knew?
- We will meet OSHA standards! Which I stopped before because who cares about workers health!
- Not wearing a mask while shouting at everyone.
- I dislike the law and would prefer to ignore it but the law says no. We will meet the minimum possible requirements!
- We will have a HR person! I don't know what HR is but we will get one!

Someone better than me should watch the whole thing and get an actual list of what happened, what's happening and whats going to happen.

TLDR: they are over their head and have no clue about how to run a business

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Are gaming table kickstarters cursed??

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Are gaming table kickstarters cursed??

It has a lot to do with people discovering too late that there's a difference between a hobby and a business.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

All the Monster Care Squad cover options are awesome and it's bullshit they can't all win.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe we can have faux leather on the front, fabric on the back, and two dust jackets for those who want a glossy one and those who want a matte one!

Seriously tho I'm glad the dust jacket option doesn't add much, I think that means at least we'll get that big flashy image on the cover no matter what we go with. Exciting times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

rydiafan posted:

All the Monster Care Squad cover options are awesome and it's bullshit they can't all win.

I just know that I don't like fabric covers because I'll inevitably touch it while there's some sort of oil on my fingers and stain it forever.