Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Apologies if build pics are frowned upon itt but I wanted to share the fruits of my weekend's labours (and, realistically, the last 6 months of learning, planning and stock chasing)

Still a few more cosmetic changes to make, such as getting a monitor arm, cable tidying and moving the PC onto a lower table to clear up desk space, but I'm very happy with my efforts, especially given this is the first PC I've built in 15 years.

Please excuse the sad lily, and thanks to everyone itt who offered help and advice either directly or through osmosis.

Case: nr200p
GPU: 3080 FE
CPU: 5600x
Cooler: Fuma 2
Mobo: Gigabyte b550i AORUS ITX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB
Storage: WD SN550
PSU: Corsair SF600
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B
Keyboard: Logitech g513
Mouse: Logitech G Pro
Mousepad: Aukey
Fans: Arctic p12, noctua A12x15

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Awesome! Looks great, crazy how compact parts and cases have gotten

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Seeing the results of the advice given in here is always nice! Really like that form factor. It's not too small as to be a giant pain to build in, but not too big to take up a ton of space. Really nice build and congrats!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Gearman posted:

Seeing the results of the advice given in here is always nice! Really like that form factor. It's not too small as to be a giant pain to build in, but not too big to take up a ton of space. Really nice build and congrats!

Yeah I wanted to do something different from my first build as a dumb teenager when I had the mantra 'bigger = better' and ended up with a giant silver shitbox and a 5.1 surround system in my small bedroom

These days I prefer efficiency of design and function, and our apartment isn't huge so a giant tower would look totally out of place anyway, so the nr200 was ideal. It was challenging enough but really rewarding to build in.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Hey, is the i9 10850K a good processor for my modest build?
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i9-10850k-core-i9-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118175?repost

$400 today only, which is a little cheaper than a scalped 5600x. Might be overkill and cooling would be a pain right?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Is there a RAM thread or can someone point me in the direction of a 'how to overclock RAM' guide for idiots please? I bought Crucial Ballistix 3200 and have turned XMP on but I remember some goon itt saying they'd overclocked theirs to a stable 3600 easily enough.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a quick n' easy way to migrate Windows to a new drive?

My partner's system is running off one old HDD and I got them a SSD. There is no data that needs to be saved but they don't have the old disc to do a clean install.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

nitsuga posted:

PCPartPicker uses some bad filtering with these builds IMO, so I changed a few things both for performance and personal preference (you should not pay $450 for a 5700XT). Basically, changed out the SATA drive for an M.2 drive, picked an 80+ Gold PSU, ditched the OLOY memory, and found a motherboard that has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi built-in so you don't have to buy an expansion card or dongle to use your PS4 controller. If you just want to build something now, I think this'd be more than capable of what you're hoping for. The stock issues plaguing GPUs and AMD CPUs might get better in a few months though, of course things might just get worse too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($168.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING Twin Fan Video Card ($266.99 @ Staples)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $863.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-12 17:53 EST-0500

First off, thanks so much for the advice! I ordered all of the parts, but I ran into one hitch: the video card you suggested is sold out! Is there a comparable or slightly better card you can recommend to me that will be compatible with this setup? I haven't really looked into video cards in years so I don't know what's overpriced, what's mediocre, and what's just right. Since you were so helpful cutting down on the overall cost of the PC, I'd say my budget max is $400, but I understand that video cards show diminishing returns as you go more expensive, so if there's something almost as good for $300-$350 that would work for me as well. Thanks again for your help with this, I really appreciate it.

edit: I found a Radeon RTX 5600 for $320, is that a good price for the performance of this card?

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 13, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The 3060Ti at $400 is excellent value and is miles ahead of anything else in that price range, but good luck getting one

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Based on just 2 days it looks tough to find a 3060Ti under $600, I'm in the same boat.

I think there are a lot of other 1660 Super chips for sale for $300. Try clicking GPU on PCPartsPicker and it should show compatible options.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a quick n' easy way to migrate Windows to a new drive?

My partner's system is running off one old HDD and I got them a SSD. There is no data that needs to be saved but they don't have the old disc to do a clean install.

There are. You might be able to use Window's built-in backup and restore, but I think Windows 10 has been deprecating that. You can also use any other imaging software, like CloneZilla or DriveImage XML.

That being said, if the old system is old old, I would suggest installing Windows fresh. Even the upgrades from older versions of Windows 10 to newer have introduced lots of weirdness, in my experience. It's much better with modern Windows 10 upgrades, so no concern there.

If you're saying they don't have the old disk, as in the old Windows disk, they shouldn't need one. These days you can easily create a Windows 10 install to a USB drive. Activating using your existing Windows 7 or Windows 10 key should work without issue. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d If you need a new key, you can get one quite cheaply in SA Mart. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

[Edit: If you do move from HDD to SSD, it is worth double checking to make sure TRIM is enabled once you finish migrating. I believe Windows 10 is good at detecting and enabling it these days, but still worth a double check IMO.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance ]

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

First off, thanks so much for the advice! I ordered all of the parts, but I ran into one hitch: the video card you suggested is sold out! Is there a comparable or slightly better card you can recommend to me that will be compatible with this setup? I haven't really looked into video cards in years so I don't know what's overpriced, what's mediocre, and what's just right. Since you were so helpful cutting down on the overall cost of the PC, I'd say my budget max is $400, but I understand that video cards show diminishing returns as you go more expensive, so if there's something almost as good for $300-$350 that would work for me as well. Thanks again for your help with this, I really appreciate it.

edit: I found a Radeon RTX 5600 for $320, is that a good price for the performance of this card?

As the others here have said a 3060 Ti would be just about the perfect card, but they're all but unobtainable currently. Looking at some benchmarks though, an RX 5600 XT looks like it wouldn't be a horrible choice and should be able to hold up to 1440p pretty well. You may end up upgrading before forever, but for right now it's not a bad card by any means. I found one in stock for $310 here: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-rad...SXd2qoZmplmjaYA

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Thanks nitsuga! And thank you for the build that was just quoted, I was looking for something along those lines myself.

Do you prefer the 5600 you linked over the similarly-priced:
Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card

I might get that 5600 myself then.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

nitsuga posted:

As the others here have said a 3060 Ti would be just about the perfect card, but they're all but unobtainable currently. Looking at some benchmarks though, an RX 5600 XT looks like it wouldn't be a horrible choice and should be able to hold up to 1440p pretty well. You may end up upgrading before forever, but for right now it's not a bad card by any means. I found one in stock for $310 here: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-rad...SXd2qoZmplmjaYA

Thanks again so much for the time and consideration you took with your posts. I was really starting to feel lost comparing various cards, as it's been a really long time since I've looked into it and the current GPU shortage had me a little shook about getting the right one. I really appreciate it.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Is there anywhere that lists MSRP for EU/Prices of components and not their inflated scalper prices don't want to get caught out.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Just as a word of advice, I got my 3060ti not by trying to compete with sniping the product purely by online only sales, but rather placed an order at my local best buy when the fulfillment happened. If you live in a lower tech city especially it might be easier that way for yall.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lol and then I snipped a ryzen 5600x on Amazon. It's possible it turns out!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

teardrop posted:

Thanks nitsuga! And thank you for the build that was just quoted, I was looking for something along those lines myself.

Do you prefer the 5600 you linked over the similarly-priced:
Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card

I might get that 5600 myself then.

Yeah, I think the 5600 XT has the upper hand as far as performance goes. So at an equal price, the 5600 XT would seem like the better choice. If you wanted to use Moonlight for in-home streaming, a Nvidia GPU is the only way to go as far as I know though. I'm not an expert, especially with AMD GPUs, but the reviews I've looked at are pretty favorable, e.g. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5600_xt, https://www.anandtech.com/show/15422/the-amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-review

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I have my new system up and running - I remember seeing a post of basic BIOS and other CPU/Memory settings to enable/set up immediately for performance but I cannot find the post now. Any recommendations for easy but smart settings for this system? I haven't changed anything at this point from default.

Ryzen 5600x
Asus ROG Strix B550-F
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Timing 16-19-19-39 CAS Latency 16 Voltage 1.35V

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pedialyte posted:

I have my new system up and running - I remember seeing a post of basic BIOS and other CPU/Memory settings to enable/set up immediately for performance but I cannot find the post now. Any recommendations for easy but smart settings for this system? I haven't changed anything at this point from default.

Ryzen 5600x
Asus ROG Strix B550-F
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Timing 16-19-19-39 CAS Latency 16 Voltage 1.35V

Turn on XMP and that's about it. PBO if you want but eh.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Veskit posted:

Just as a word of advice, I got my 3060ti not by trying to compete with sniping the product purely by online only sales, but rather placed an order at my local best buy when the fulfillment happened. If you live in a lower tech city especially it might be easier that way for yall.

I dont understand what this means, best buy is doing all video cards online order? Did you just call them up and order by part #? I can't imagine that was faster than the thousands of people trying online?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bus hustler posted:

dont understand what this means, best buy is doing all video cards online order?

There's an "online only" order bucket, that is available to anyone who orders. Then there are store fulfillments that you can order from online. My local best buy had inventory that I got the card from, NOT from the "online only" pool. So if you go to order and it says sold out, also check the stores inventory to see if they have it.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
^ Yeah, I have my location in so search shows local store inventory also, but it stays sold out sadly.

nitsuga posted:

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($168.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Video Card the 5600 for $310 he just recommended
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $863.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-12 17:53 EST-0500

If budget isn't especially tight, would people recommend:
Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($168.99 @ B&H)
Intel Core i7-10700K 8 core 3.8 GHz $358
Intel Core i9-10850K 10 Core 3.6 GHz on sale $400 https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i9-10850k-core-i9-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118175?repost
With compatible mobo and cooler for the latter. Assuming Ryzen isn't available.

The i7/i9 aren't too expensive but might be overkill for gaming on this basic setup?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Veskit posted:

There's an "online only" order bucket, that is available to anyone who orders. Then there are store fulfillments that you can order from online. My local best buy had inventory that I got the card from, NOT from the "online only" pool. So if you go to order and it says sold out, also check the stores inventory to see if they have it.

I don't think this is correct, they are simply doing all online only orders as store pickup as a "one per person" and anti botting thing. I think you just got one. I've had them in my cart multiple times & they're always "Store Pickup" and have me check local stores. If there are some randomly sent to stores besides ship-to-store it's still shown on the same checkout.

I think one of the most frustrating things is having to camp a specific model when you have no idea if there's 5 of them or 50.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
My 5600x that I ordered a week ago with a shipping estimate of late January got moved up to arriving this Tuesday. Today I managed to snag a 5800x, but have heard so many issues about how hot the 5800x runs that I almost don't want to use it. Ideally, I want a 5950x. Has anyone actually used a 5800x? Should I just use the 5600x until I can get a 5950x? It seems so strange to use a 5600x with a 3090, but I guess it would only be temporary.

edit: I managed to grab another 5600x tonight just hanging out in Discord and it's up for grabs. If I decide not to use the 5800x, it's also up for grabs. These haven't shipped yet but will in January. They are both available for cost. All you pay is PayPal fees and shipping. I've sold a 3060ti and a 3070 for similar rates. I grab stuff as it pops up now and sell it to goons. It feels good to grab stuff before bots do and this thread has helped me so much that it feels fair to pass up deals to people that can't hang out in Discord all day, but are still here to provide me with all the tech and building info I don't know myself.

The 5600 is $300 + fees + shipping.
The 5800 is $450 + fees + shipping.

Message me if you would like either. I'm located in 28405 and you can estimate shipping via the USPS website.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 13, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

My man can you stop buying up half of the Zen 3 and Ampere stock and leave some for other people

edit: ok saw your edit, lol, you should probably just make your mind up to get the highest end parts that you obviously want and stop buying the other ones though

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

My man can you stop buying up half of the Zen 3 and Ampere stock and leave some for other people

If I knew one of you would get it, I gladly would. As it stands, it's people just buying it up to resale. Yes, I'm reselling it, but not at a profit. There's a guy in SAMart selling stuff for $100 + everything else. With me, it's just the cost of the item, what it costs to ship the item and what PayPal charges to send the money over. I'm not making any money. I'm not gaining Ebay feedback or whatever. I guess I can't help but buy stuff as it pops now as I wait for a 5950x to go on sale. When I get that, I won't be using the Discord anymore.

Butterfly Valley posted:

edit: ok saw your edit, lol, you should probably just make your mind up to get the highest end parts that you obviously want and stop buying the other ones though

Yes, that's the plan. But while i'm getting those notifications it's fun to grab stuff while I can and pass it on to people that can't find it. Like I said, if I knew someone here was gonna get it to to use, I wouldn't. But most of it's bought by people flipping it on the ebay or charging a broker service like that dude in SAMart.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 13, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

teardrop posted:

^ Yeah, I have my location in so search shows local store inventory also, but it stays sold out sadly.

If budget isn't especially tight, would people recommend:
Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($168.99 @ B&H)
Intel Core i7-10700K 8 core 3.8 GHz $358
Intel Core i9-10850K 10 Core 3.6 GHz on sale $400 https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i9-10850k-core-i9-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118175?repost
With compatible mobo and cooler for the latter. Assuming Ryzen isn't available.

The i7/i9 aren't too expensive but might be overkill for gaming on this basic setup?

I think in general it'd go:

i3 10100 ($110) < i5 10400 ($170) < i5 10600K ($270) < i7 10700K ($360) < i9 10850K ($430)

You reach a point of diminishing returns though, and I don't know how much I'd really recommend going beyond the 10600K for most people and the 10700K for elite builds. Sounds like Intel has some new things in the works (and there always will be), so I'd consider how likely you are to want the next new thing before investing significantly more in any of the current platforms. It's going to depend on the games you hope to play, but I think even a 10100 could go a long way, at least until the future is a bit more clear with regard to ideal core and thread count, Direct Storage, DDR5, Ray Tracing, et cetera.

More specific to you, I guess I'd consider the 10600K as an upgrade option, but there are caveats. Basically, I don't think a 10600K is worth it without overclocking in its future. I'm not sure how much performance you gain with an overclock, but there is some room (though with added expense for cooling, Z490 motherboard, et cetera). You could opt for the non-K part too, but there isn't a lot of savings to be had there, and the added cost is all the sillier I imagine.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There have been a lot of 5600xs on Amazon this week. The preorder I snagged over a week ago got bumped on Monday from end-of-Jan fulfillment to arriving this Friday. Stock is still low but it definitely got a big shot in the arm.

Vid cards, not so much. Still hoping to get lucky on a 3070 from a discord channel. I refuse to enrich scalpers, but there's also no way I'm camping out at MC or anything like that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bus hustler posted:

I don't think this is correct, they are simply doing all online only orders as store pickup as a "one per person" and anti botting thing. I think you just got one. I've had them in my cart multiple times & they're always "Store Pickup" and have me check local stores. If there are some randomly sent to stores besides ship-to-store it's still shown on the same checkout.

I think one of the most frustrating things is having to camp a specific model when you have no idea if there's 5 of them or 50.

This is available in store not for online order, though I could very well be dumb and wrong and not understand it

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

ShowTime posted:

My 5600x that I ordered a week ago with a shipping estimate of late January got moved up to arriving this Tuesday. Today I managed to snag a 5800x, but have heard so many issues about how hot the 5800x runs that I almost don't want to use it. Ideally, I want a 5950x. Has anyone actually used a 5800x? Should I just use the 5600x until I can get a 5950x? It seems so strange to use a 5600x with a 3090, but I guess it would only be temporary.

edit: I managed to grab another 5600x tonight just hanging out in Discord and it's up for grabs. If I decide not to use the 5800x, it's also up for grabs. These haven't shipped yet but will in January. They are both available for cost. All you pay is PayPal fees and shipping. I've sold a 3060ti and a 3070 for similar rates. I grab stuff as it pops up now and sell it to goons. It feels good to grab stuff before bots do and this thread has helped me so much that it feels fair to pass up deals to people that can't hang out in Discord all day, but are still here to provide me with all the tech and building info I don't know myself.

Message me if you would like either. I'm located in 28405 and you can estimate shipping via the USPS website.

The 5800 runs hotter than the 5600 as it has a higher TDP, but it’s fine as long as you have a decently good cooler.

Mine runs at around 65 C under extreme load (prime95 torture) with a Noctua NH-D15 but under normal load it’s a lot lower and idles around 35 C

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone actually used a 5800x?
Yeah, there are a handful (or two) of other folks running a 5800X. In my aircooled NCase M1, it sits around 77-78F in Cyberpunk 2077 with a mildly reduced PPT (130W) so it's fairly warm but nothing insane.

I imagine temps will improve when I have a deshroud+exhaust configuration on the GPU.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 14, 2020

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Acer Pilot posted:

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming (Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, Control) and development (may need to run a few VMs/containers occasionally, JIT languages)
What's your budget? $3000-$5000 CAD max, the lower the better though
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Leaning towards a 2 monitor setup (on monitor arms) or maybe one of those curved screens. I would like to try for 1080p 144hz or possibly better? Looking for recommendations/opinions on monitors.

I'm also restricted to Wi-Fi since the router is an inconvenient room and I don't have the place wired...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: *ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($112.71 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: *ASRock B550 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.88 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($198.75 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: *MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card ($2033.04 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($165.05 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: *EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($153.99 @ PC-Canada)
Total: $3043.41
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-13 05:57 EST-0500

Looks like that huge price doesn't even include the Ryzen 5 since it's sold out :|

e: the 3080 is usually $1k CAD

Would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks!

Just realized the mobos it picked don’t include wifi. Should I look for one with onboard wifi or just buy a separate card and use a pcie ? Do I want wifi 6? I currently use a tp link deco m9 at home and I don’t believe that’s 6.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What kind of CPU temps do you get on a 5800x on a H100i v2?

debating updating my AIO and getting a 5800x once MSI gets off their rear end

I guess I could get a new x570 but I balk at having to pay $250 for a mobo

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think they hottest I got my 5800x is around 80ish during benchmarks/cinebench. Fans never get crazy loud and I haven't played anything too demanding to really check in games. Meshify C, D15s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang!

My hardware understanding sort of peaked in 2006 and has stagnated ever since. Five years ago my cousin gave me a list of computer parts, I bought them and built this PC and it's served me really well. But sad me, a good friend bought me Cyberpunk, but is a cyberdunk, if you know what I mean. My question is: do I need to know much about my motherboard/processor/RAM compatibility if I want to upgrade the video card? Like, if I want to use that fancy raytracing technology, do I also need some specific CPU? Uh, and second question: I want a video card what's a good video card for like five hundred bux or less.

I hope I'm not being too annoying. I've really tried to do my own research but I'm overwhelmed with finnicky numbers bullshit and a lot of people speak in shorthand for things I don't have the context for :\

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Butterfly Valley posted:

Apologies if build pics are frowned upon itt but I wanted to share the fruits of my weekend's labours (and, realistically, the last 6 months of learning, planning and stock chasing)

Still a few more cosmetic changes to make, such as getting a monitor arm, cable tidying and moving the PC onto a lower table to clear up desk space, but I'm very happy with my efforts, especially given this is the first PC I've built in 15 years.

Please excuse the sad lily, and thanks to everyone itt who offered help and advice either directly or through osmosis.

Case: nr200p
GPU: 3080 FE
CPU: 5600x
Cooler: Fuma 2
Mobo: Gigabyte b550i AORUS ITX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB
Storage: WD SN550
PSU: Corsair SF600
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B
Keyboard: Logitech g513
Mouse: Logitech G Pro
Mousepad: Aukey
Fans: Arctic p12, noctua A12x15

I love seeing poo poo like this, looks great, awesome rig

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

teardrop posted:

Awesome! Looks great, crazy how compact parts and cases have gotten

Yeah, that is a massive amount of power in a case that size. I love stupid huge cases just because I've got the room so who cares but seeing something that can do bleeding edge gaming in a case that small is always impressive.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ShowTime posted:

I have a 5800x with an AIO cooler and have had no issues at all. MSFS runs nicely paired with my RTX 3070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

credburn posted:

Hey gang!

My hardware understanding sort of peaked in 2006 and has stagnated ever since. Five years ago my cousin gave me a list of computer parts, I bought them and built this PC and it's served me really well. But sad me, a good friend bought me Cyberpunk, but is a cyberdunk, if you know what I mean. My question is: do I need to know much about my motherboard/processor/RAM compatibility if I want to upgrade the video card? Like, if I want to use that fancy raytracing technology, do I also need some specific CPU? Uh, and second question: I want a video card what's a good video card for like five hundred bux or less.

I hope I'm not being too annoying. I've really tried to do my own research but I'm overwhelmed with finnicky numbers bullshit and a lot of people speak in shorthand for things I don't have the context for :\

You don't wanna put a silk purse graphics cards with a sow's ear mobo/cpu.

Go down to the lower left search part of your screen and type dxdiag and screenshot it and post it here, e.g.: