Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

credburn posted:

Hey gang!

My hardware understanding sort of peaked in 2006 and has stagnated ever since. Five years ago my cousin gave me a list of computer parts, I bought them and built this PC and it's served me really well. But sad me, a good friend bought me Cyberpunk, but is a cyberdunk, if you know what I mean. My question is: do I need to know much about my motherboard/processor/RAM compatibility if I want to upgrade the video card? Like, if I want to use that fancy raytracing technology, do I also need some specific CPU? Uh, and second question: I want a video card what's a good video card for like five hundred bux or less.

I hope I'm not being too annoying. I've really tried to do my own research but I'm overwhelmed with finnicky numbers bullshit and a lot of people speak in shorthand for things I don't have the context for :\

Can you share the details of your current build?Ray tracing is heavily GPU dependent, but the rest of your build matters too.

Regardless, a short answer: at a minimum you will need to get a 3000-series NVidia card, which are in crazy short supply at the moment and likely for the next few months at least. At your price point the best you will be able to do is a 3060Ti, although a 3070 would be better if you can stretch the budget a bit.

Read the last few pages of this thread to learn about the supply issues, and for tips on how to land a card via stock-watching discord servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

bird with big dick posted:

You don't wanna put a silk purse graphics cards with a sow's ear mobo/cpu.

Go down to the lower left search part of your screen and type dxdiag and screenshot it and post it here, e.g.:

Oh, right, I forgot this is easy now.

I hadn't realized there was a shortage on video cards. Well, I really don't mind waiting, so there's that.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Build update: I got my EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070 today and installed it into my system, replacing the Gigabyte 3070 I am selling to a friend. I also got my replacement XPG/ADATA SX8200 M.2 drive.

After installing the EVGA card, my audio ports on the motherboard stopped working. Even putting the old card back in didn't fix the issue. And the second ADATA drive does not detect either.

The good news is the EVGA card seems (anecdotally) quieter and looks better, and I can just run audio through my monitor from it.

edit: Currently have support requests in with both MSI for the audio issue and ADATA for their poo poo SSDs so unsure if either will be resolved, but I'm hopeful

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 14, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
uggghh Scan finally got some 5600X cpus in for sale and there's a £44 £55 markup on them (RRP £279.99, Scan price £323.99 e: + £11.50 P&P lmao) Guess I'm waiting for that tiny corridor between Christmas and Brexit to see if prices come down to anything remotely sane

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 14, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

credburn posted:

Oh, right, I forgot this is easy now.

I hadn't realized there was a shortage on video cards. Well, I really don't mind waiting, so there's that.

This is...not a five year old machine lol. What GPU is in there now? Second tab of dxdiag.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Boxman posted:

This is...not a five year old machine lol. What GPU is in there now? Second tab of dxdiag.

He reuploaded bird with big dick's image for some reason, lol

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Earlier this year I built a desktop with a 550w PSU and a 2060. I'm looking to upgrade to a 3070 or 3060Ti once they become available; would that PSU be able to handle either one? Or would I need to upgrade to safely power the 3070?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Earlier this year I built a desktop with a 550w PSU and a 2060. I'm looking to upgrade to a 3070 or 3060Ti once they become available; would that PSU be able to handle either one? Or would I need to upgrade to safely power the 3070?

I'm on a 550 watt PSU and it's been fine with a 3060 ti so far. A 3070 should still be okay (a gold-rated 550 watt PSU will provide 500 watts, if you have a 65 watt Ryzen processor you're probably only hitting around 400), but it's better to have more headroom as it extends the life of your PSU.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You're looking at 220W in the 3070 compared to 160W in the 2060, so unless you're rocking an OC'ed 10900k or something I think you'll be perfectly fine. And honestly even if you were you'd probably still be good.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh boy I thought I had a hard drive failure, turned out I just didn’t screw in the M2 screw enough.

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
Built a new machine but having trouble getting NVMe M.2 drive working. I have an ASUS TUF gaming z490-plus motherboard with afore mentioned drive (970 EVO) in the M.2_1 slot. Also have 860 EVO SSD plugged into SATA6 G_1 slot. Installed windows 10 on drive 0 which wasn't sure which drive it would do it to since there was no name distinguishing that from drive 1.

Looks like it installed on my 860 SSD instead? That drive is the only one showing up on windows devices, but in device manager and bios it does recognize the M.2 drive. Do I need to unplug the SATA SSD and reinstall windows on the m.2 drive and then plug in the SSD later and wipe it? (since it has windows already now)

Other parts:
Power supply: EVGA 650 G3
Video card: Asus RTX 3070 KO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x16GB
CPU: Intel i7-10700K

Also should mention I do want windows on the m.2 drive and the SSD for storage.

Fireant fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Acer Pilot posted:

Just realized the mobos it picked don’t include wifi. Should I look for one with onboard wifi or just buy a separate card and use a pcie ? Do I want wifi 6? I currently use a tp link deco m9 at home and I don’t believe that’s 6.

I wouldn't stress about it. I got a USB WIFI antenna for a second system and it runs nearly as fast as my hardwired one. My primary system has WIFI on the MOBO and there is no appreciable difference between it and the USB one.

YMMV. Someone is gonna burst through the door to say why I'm wrong :)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
OK so I haven't built a PC in 11 years. Has anything majorly changed in that time, other than optical drives going away?

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Howdy guys,

Have a good friend who is wanting to build a computer to do some film editing on. He is into games, but this is not the priority.

He was given this list by a friend and i wanted to ask if someone here would mind giving it a quick check

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3BnNxc

If there is anything that is dumb/ could be replaced for something much better would be great to know. He is trying to keep it below 800 GBP i believe.

Cheers

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Based in Canada, hoping to upgrade my current rig so it can better handle Cyberpunk 2077. Budget will be $500-1000 CAD and plan is to look for good Boxing Day deals. When I last posted the recommendation was replacing GPU would have the greatest impact and might be a good intermediary step if I was unwilling to invest in a more complete overhaul. Something that may be worth mentioning is that this sits in my living room, gaming and media consumption is done off an older TV that maxes out at 1080p.

If if I recall from the last time I did this the bottleneck comes when replacing my CPU which entails also replacing my motherboard and RAM. Some questions:
- Would getting a larger SSD dedicated to current games I'm playing be helpful? Do they need to be on the same drive as my OS for it to make a difference?
- Should consider replacing some of my older internal HDDs with larger ones? Could go down to two 8gb drives which would expand my storage and free up space in the tower for more airflow.
- Would investing in a new sound setup be worthwhile? Speakers are the oldest piece I think, haven't had cause to complain but I'm not much of an audiophile.

Case - Fractal Design Define R3 [Supports ATX]
OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
OS Drive - SSD - 128gb Crucial M4
Motherboard - ASUS Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CROSSFIREX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard
CPU - Intel i5-4690K 3.50GHz
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked - ACX Cooler 2.0, 1165Mhz Clock, 7010Mhz Memory, PCI Express 3.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Internal HDDs - x2 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Caviar Green, 1TB WD Caviar Black
External HDDs - 8TB Seagate Expansion (bought Dec 2019), 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub (bought Dec 2019)
RAM - 32GB DDR3: Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified Full Modular Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Compatible 10 Year Warranty
Fans - stock Fractal 120mm x2, stock Antec 80mm, stock IBM 40mm
Displays - LG 42CS560 42" TV(1080p), Dell E2715H 27”(1980x1080)
Speakers - Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra 2.1

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer

Fireant posted:

Built a new machine but having trouble getting NVMe M.2 drive working. I have an ASUS TUF gaming z490-plus motherboard with afore mentioned drive (970 EVO) in the M.2_1 slot. Also have 860 EVO SSD plugged into SATA6 G_1 slot. Installed windows 10 on drive 0 which wasn't sure which drive it would do it to since there was no name distinguishing that from drive 1.

Looks like it installed on my 860 SSD instead? That drive is the only one showing up on windows devices, but in device manager and bios it does recognize the M.2 drive. Do I need to unplug the SATA SSD and reinstall windows on the m.2 drive and then plug in the SSD later and wipe it? (since it has windows already now)

Other parts:
Power supply: EVGA 650 G3
Video card: Asus RTX 3070 KO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x16GB
CPU: Intel i7-10700K

Also should mention I do want windows on the m.2 drive and the SSD for storage.

Ended up going to disk management and initializing the drive, then formatting it and now it shows up. Is it a better improvement to still try to move windows to the m.2 drive over SATA SSD? Trying to figure out easy way to move windows to it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fireant posted:

Ended up going to disk management and initializing the drive, then formatting it and now it shows up. Is it a better improvement to still try to move windows to the m.2 drive over SATA SSD? Trying to figure out easy way to move windows to it.

Samsung's migration software should make this pretty easy if you don't want to do a reinstall. After that just make sure you change the boot order in the BIOS to point at the NVMe drive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fireant posted:

You could clone the drive if you really wanted to

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-clone-a-hard-drive

But I'd probably start from scratch if you haven't invested too much time.

M.2 drive won't see much benefit from games, but having one and not using it as a boot drive is literally wasting the extra cash you spent on it.

Corte posted:

Based in Canada, hoping to upgrade my current rig so it can better handle Cyberpunk 2077. Budget will be $500-1000 CAD and plan is to look for good Boxing Day deals. When I last posted the recommendation was replacing GPU would have the greatest impact and might be a good intermediary step if I was unwilling to invest in a more complete overhaul. Something that may be worth mentioning is that this sits in my living room, gaming and media consumption is done off an older TV that maxes out at 1080p.

If if I recall from the last time I did this the bottleneck comes when replacing my CPU which entails also replacing my motherboard and RAM. Some questions:
- Would getting a larger SSD dedicated to current games I'm playing be helpful? Do they need to be on the same drive as my OS for it to make a difference?
- Should consider replacing some of my older internal HDDs with larger ones? Could go down to two 8gb drives which would expand my storage and free up space in the tower for more airflow.
- Would investing in a new sound setup be worthwhile? Speakers are the oldest piece I think, haven't had cause to complain but I'm not much of an audiophile.

Case - Fractal Design Define R3 [Supports ATX]
OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
OS Drive - SSD - 128gb Crucial M4
Motherboard - ASUS Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CROSSFIREX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard
CPU - Intel i5-4690K 3.50GHz
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked - ACX Cooler 2.0, 1165Mhz Clock, 7010Mhz Memory, PCI Express 3.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Internal HDDs - x2 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Caviar Green, 1TB WD Caviar Black
External HDDs - 8TB Seagate Expansion (bought Dec 2019), 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub (bought Dec 2019)
RAM - 32GB DDR3: Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified Full Modular Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Compatible 10 Year Warranty
Fans - stock Fractal 120mm x2, stock Antec 80mm, stock IBM 40mm
Displays - LG 42CS560 42" TV(1080p), Dell E2715H 27”(1980x1080)
Speakers - Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra 2.1

Most of that needs a full upgrade.

Since you're playing at 1080p, CPU should be the focus (which includes mobo/ram). Probably an AMD 3600 if you can find one. A 5600 is better but a little more expensive and kind of impossible to find.

You won't see immediate gains upgrading the CPU, but if you upgrade the GPU instead before the CPU you'll barely see any gains.

Drives are fine if you can live with 128gb ssd. No need to separate OS. You should upgrade to a 500GB-1TB M.2 ssd if you need the additional space, they're generally 50-100$ USD.

I don't quite understand your fan setup. It's probably fine for now. It really depends on how obstructed those fans are/where they are.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy guys,

Have a good friend who is wanting to build a computer to do some film editing on. He is into games, but this is not the priority.

He was given this list by a friend and i wanted to ask if someone here would mind giving it a quick check

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3BnNxc

If there is anything that is dumb/ could be replaced for something much better would be great to know. He is trying to keep it below 800 GBP i believe.

Cheers

More information would be better. Are we talking 4k? What editing software? Is he doing any GFX work? Like youtube videos or like short films?

Based on a quick glance that seems super underpowered for film editing, but he won't do all that much better with that budget. Someone can help with additional details.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Kingnothing posted:

More information would be better. Are we talking 4k? What editing software? Is he doing any GFX work? Like youtube videos or like short films?

Based on a quick glance that seems super underpowered for film editing, but he won't do all that much better with that budget. Someone can help with additional details.

He is editing short films, i believe at normal HD quality. I suggested (given the film quality) he cheaps out and gets a second hand 1080 monitor- in which case what would you suggest to beef up the build? From what i understand he wont be doing much aside from editing footage in a timeline and a little rotouching. He is an actor and it is mostly for making shorts for his show reel.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

He is editing short films, i believe at normal HD quality. I suggested (given the film quality) he cheaps out and gets a second hand 1080 monitor- in which case what would you suggest to beef up the build? From what i understand he wont be doing much aside from editing footage in a timeline and a little rotouching. He is an actor and it is mostly for making shorts for his show reel.

I'm gonna say we still need more info. What programs he's using, what resolutions he wants to edit at, how he's getting the footage, all that stuff matters a lot, and when you're trying to go inexpensive as possible, it's important to know what you can and can't skimp on.

From some casual reading, it seems like CPU matters most here, but it's highly dependent on the above factors.

To start, this is probably not a bad build, although I'd go for a 5600 instead if you could find it, double the ram to 32GB, get a gold PSU, and buy a Windows key from SA Mart

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2GHBD3

With video editing, generally, as long as you meet the minimum spec of the program you're using it'll run. The more you spend on the build means the less time you wait for the program to catch up (and we could be talking saving hours over the course of an edit)

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

This may be all in my head- does the left side of the card seem to be sagging? I’ve tried applying gentle pressure upward there to see if it was loose but nope, I think I’m paranoid here

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Kingnothing posted:

I'm gonna say we still need more info.

Ok thanks for the reply. He has now informed me that the footage he is dealing with is 2k and will be using premiere and davinci.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ok thanks for the reply. He has now informed me that the footage he is dealing with is 2k and will be using premiere and davinci.

Resolve is not a light program and the spec requirement varies wildly based on workflow.

This is the minimum spec I could find. Keep in mind this is the minimum to launch the program.

Windows 10 Creators Update.
16 GB of system memory. 32 GB when using Fusion
Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or later
Integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM
GPU which supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11
NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – As required by your GPU
A minimum NVIDIA driver version of 451.82 is recommended.

I highly recommend your friend go post somewhere where people are experienced in Davinci workflows and ask for build specs there, unless someone in the thread has experience in Resolve. This thread is likely better suited to compare parts once you know the general spec he needs.

Here's a year old thread on blackmagic's forums to get him started.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=100251

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Puget systems is the place to go for benchmarks of these sorts of things.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-Studio-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Performance-1961/

pic hosting free

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Performance-1960/

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Most of that needs a full upgrade.

Since you're playing at 1080p, CPU should be the focus (which includes mobo/ram). Probably an AMD 3600 if you can find one. A 5600 is better but a little more expensive and kind of impossible to find.

You won't see immediate gains upgrading the CPU, but if you upgrade the GPU instead before the CPU you'll barely see any gains.

Drives are fine if you can live with 128gb ssd. No need to separate OS. You should upgrade to a 500GB-1TB M.2 ssd if you need the additional space, they're generally 50-100$ USD.

I don't quite understand your fan setup. It's probably fine for now. It really depends on how obstructed those fans are/where they are.

Thanks for the blunt honesty. Been a long while since I looked at any of this so going to need to do some research I reckon.

With respect to the CPU I'm assuming you mean the AMD Ryzen 5. Looking at CPU Benchmark my understanding is the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X would be the best value if I can find it, should I look for any 3600 over other CPUs? Looking down the list seems like the next best in terms of value would be the AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G.

The 128gb only will cover my OS and general programs, any games or game clients have to go on a separate drive. Honestly I don't much about my fan setup either, will have to take a look, I'm sure the arrangement of them could be improved upon.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Should I be worried about upper 60s temps near my GPU. Was playing 2077 and felt my tempered glass panel and it was way hot to the touch. Could be just bad airflow in my case. Working with a NZXT H500, I think.

9700k @4.8ghz
RTX 3070

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Should I be worried about upper 60s temps near my GPU. Was playing 2077 and felt my tempered glass panel and it was way hot to the touch. Could be just bad airflow in my case. Working with a NZXT H500, I think.

9700k @4.8ghz
RTX 3070

Upper 60s is wonderful for GPU.

Most 3080s run 70s-low 80s. What's your case/cpu temp? And your room temp?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kingnothing posted:

Upper 60s is wonderful for GPU.

Most 3080s run 70s-low 80s. What's your case/cpu temp? And your room temp?

Lemme double check, because that was the temperature after I turned off 2077.

edit:
Looks like CPU and GPU running low 80s. Room Temperature probably around 60?

What do people use for FPS tracking nowadays?? Apparently not FRAPS any more.

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 15, 2020

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I posted here a bit ago, issues with signal loss on my LG 34GN850 monitor (audio still playing, monitor power cycle does nothing, needs pc reset to fix). I've DDU'd drivers, redone the power cabling, etc., Nothing worked.

Had a brainwave, turned off sleep, cranked pc power plan to the max. Have had 0 issues since, completely usable. Which is weird, because I think it always died while idle, but the time to signal loss was inconsistent...

I'm sure something is borked but I have no idea what at this stage. Still transferring build into a case that actually fits though.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Second parts post itt. My heart leans AMD, but with prices the way they are, I took a swing at an intel build.
Any reason a build like this would be ill advised?
I'm in the US, planning on a snappy shitposting rig, playing games (I don't know what atm, but i'd like it to be somewhat future resistant).
I've got a Nvidia 1650 slapped in my otherwise decade old gaming rig atm.
I can wait, if need be, if buying into an older cpu setup is ill advised/if AMD's tech is that far ahead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B365M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $679.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-14 19:41 EST-0500

Thanks goons.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

So if one were going to start trying to get their hands on a 3060/3070 are there any brands or models that should be avoided or any to aim for assuming one isn't desperate to get RTX right away? I see on pcpartpicker some brands I don't recognize at all and have not seen much on how much of a difference OC versions actually make and so on.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Second parts post itt. My heart leans AMD, but with prices the way they are, I took a swing at an intel build.
Any reason a build like this would be ill advised?
I'm in the US, planning on a snappy shitposting rig, playing games (I don't know what atm, but i'd like it to be somewhat future resistant).
I've got a Nvidia 1650 slapped in my otherwise decade old gaming rig atm.
I can wait, if need be, if buying into an older cpu setup is ill advised/if AMD's tech is that far ahead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B365M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $679.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-14 19:41 EST-0500

Thanks goons.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to pair a K chip with anything other than a Z board. It’s an alright price on the 9700K, but I’d be tempted to go with a combo like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($168.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B460M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $243.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-14 21:29 EST-0500

Or:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($267.66 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z490M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $477.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-14 21:33 EST-0500

The second system would be able to take advantage of the overclocking a K chip is arguably meant to do. The first would be a more economical and still pretty good system. Which route to go depends on your goals, and what you have currently though. Down the road, either one would be capable of keeping up with beefier GPUs too. With the 10600K I’d definitely consider getting a 750W power supply, but the rest of your choices look good to me.

Thom ZombieForm posted:

This may be all in my head- does the left side of the card seem to be sagging? I’ve tried applying gentle pressure upward there to see if it was loose but nope, I think I’m paranoid here

That looks to be sagging to me. People will rig up all sort of supports with fishing line, Legos, and plastic silverware. This video goes through a couple other possible solutions too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLRZwC-CsQ

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 15, 2020

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Kingnothing posted:

Resolve is not a light program and the spec requirement varies wildly based on workflow.

This is the minimum spec I could find. Keep in mind this is the minimum to launch the program.

Windows 10 Creators Update.
16 GB of system memory. 32 GB when using Fusion
Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or later
Integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM
GPU which supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11
NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – As required by your GPU
A minimum NVIDIA driver version of 451.82 is recommended.

I highly recommend your friend go post somewhere where people are experienced in Davinci workflows and ask for build specs there, unless someone in the thread has experience in Resolve. This thread is likely better suited to compare parts once you know the general spec he needs.

Here's a year old thread on blackmagic's forums to get him started.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=100251

Thanks guys for all the advicr. I will tell him to do and do some more research then.

Cheers

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Looking to build a new computer for my dad, he's mainly using his existing PC for web browsing, email, and word processing. Is this overkill?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: *G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: *Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: *LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($25.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $690.93
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-15 04:54 EST-0500

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's a little overkill, but the kind I can get behind.

I'd probably swap the SSD for a WD Blue, though. Zero practical difference for this use case and you'll save a few bucks.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

You can't really beat a used Dell Optiplex with an SSD tossed in it for general purpose computing if he has no speed requirements at all. Don't know how much of it is an interest in building with/for him and how much is just trying to get him a working PC.

I'd personally get a USB DVD drive unless he has a known use case (which is fine, plenty of the people I work with still use them for medical crap) as it takes up space in the case and is tied to that computer. The USB2.0 bus is faster than DVD reading and writing speeds, so there is absolutely positively no loss of speed.

Lets you get a smaller case and more interoperable components. Note that any of the above Optiplexes will have a DVD drive.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

E2M2 posted:

edit:
Looks like CPU and GPU running low 80s. Room Temperature probably around 60?

Something seems amiss here.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

For anyone on the fence about an NZXT case because of airflow concerns, I’ve been playing hours of Control on my 3600/3060 ti setup with minimal fans and both CPU and GPU haven’t cracked 60 degrees at high settings and ray tracing on. The negative pressure setup they configured it with out of the box works really well.

Now, this likely isn’t the case for higher end components but they make some good looking options if you’re running a low-power(ish) config...

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Ugh there's plenty of people scalping 3070s and 3060tis on my local craigslist and I hate that when I see a 3070 for $725 I think "ooh that's only marked up by like 40%!!!!"

Also because I'm seeing them pop up too, what would be considered a good deal on a 2080 super/ti? If I see some in the same range as the 3070 is supposed to be in would it be a bad idea? For the record I don't care that much about ray tracing but I'm excited about DLSS so I wanted to stick nvidia for that reason(if I didn't care about that I might have grabbed a 5700xt by now and been done with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just get a 3090