Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

mediaphage posted:

at what point is a vanity business a real business? what if they make 15k the next year by building on the prior year's success? do you think you just instantly become successful and rich when you start out?

who the gently caress cares, calling it a vanity business was 100% because it was a woman baking cakes

yeah or maybe they picked this particular couple in particular because they knew rubes like you would eat it up. just keep deluding yourself into thinking that this lady and her husband getting to keep the 18 grand they don't need means poor people are better off somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

this country blows. The narrative around CERB is "should hobby business owners get CERB?" and totally silent on the issue of essential workers that made $1100 a month and couldn't get CERB. I had to move in with my mom and lost most of my possessions in the move all while being an essential frontline worker.

Doing better now, but am very very bitter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

this country blows. The narrative around CERB is "should hobby business owners get CERB?" and totally silent on the issue of essential workers that made $1100 a month and couldn't get CERB. I had to move in with my mom and lost most of my possessions in the move all while being an essential frontline worker.

You have every right to be bitter. Overall our society is extremely dependent on people it doesn't deem worthy enough to reap the benefits of because they don't have the means to aquire enough capital to put there heads above the line that apparently makes one's life valuable.

I hope things get better for you and I hope we do better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

you couldn't ask your boss to cut one of your shifts so you are making $900/month?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
my friend's gas station running dad was upset his employees were not coming in to instead collect CERB because they were making the same/more money to stay home. but your essential customer facing employees were making less than 2000$ month? and you're upset with them for this?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

you couldn't ask your boss to cut one of your shifts so you are making $900/month?

Because what i really wanted to do was make even less money...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

Because what i really wanted to do was make even less money...

i thought if you made only $900 from your job your could collect CERB and make $2900 total per month

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i thought if you made $900 from your job your could collect CERB and make $2900 total per month

lol, no, if you made less than $1000 you could get topped up to $1000. There was a literal second tier of CERB so incredible disadvantaged minimum wage workers couldn't get a taste of a better life. It was designed to keep all those poor people working, otherwise society would have collapsed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

jettisonedstuff posted:

yeah or maybe they picked this particular couple in particular because they knew rubes like you would eat it up. just keep deluding yourself into thinking that this lady and her husband getting to keep the 18 grand they don't need means poor people are better off somehow.

:rolleyes: yes i’m such a rube because i want to err on the side of giving people more money instead of enjoying the means tested misogyny in the thread

Virtual Russian posted:

lol, no, if you made less than $1000 you could get topped up to $1000. There was a literal second tier of CERB so incredible disadvantaged minimum wage workers couldn't get a taste of a better life. It was designed to keep all those poor people working, otherwise society would have collapsed.

so infuriating, this sucks. i’m sorry.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

mediaphage posted:

:rolleyes: yes i’m such a rube because i want to err on the side of giving people more money instead of enjoying the means tested misogyny in the thread

but the CERB already didn't do that, it just gave money to people who had at least 5k in income in 2019/the previous 12 months and then lost it. CERB wasn't a temporary UBI, it was a temporary expanded unemployment insurance. simply letting wealthier people get away with defrauding unemployment insurance doesn't retroactively turn it into a UBI

also you seem to think that a significant number of low income people erroneously collected CERB, but of the people who actually did this I think like 95% of it was wealthier people, particularly high income, single earner households. There are a lot of well off professionals who have one or several registered business under which they do contract work, and a bunch of them used them to claim CERB money despite not having their income drop whatsoever. the CRA should absolutely go after those people. The decent thing to do is to let the few lower income households who collected in error off the hook, and I guess we'll see if the CRA actually does that. it certainly makes sense from a revenue perspective because you're way less likely to even get money back from low income households.

also the whole point of not means testing is for political considerations, i.e. that letting everyone benefit from government programs will give them more broad popularity, it's not because giving money to rich people also benefits poor people somehow

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jettisonedstuff posted:

but the CERB already didn't do that, it just gave money to people who had at least 5k in income in 2019/the previous 12 months and then lost it. CERB wasn't a temporary UBI, it was a temporary expanded unemployment insurance. simply letting wealthier people get away with defrauding unemployment insurance doesn't retroactively turn it into a UBI

also you seem to think that a significant number of low income people erroneously collected CERB, but of the people who actually did this I think like 95% of it was wealthier people, particularly high income, single earner households. There are a lot of well off professionals who have one or several registered business under which they do contract work, and a bunch of them used them to claim CERB money despite not having their income drop whatsoever. the CRA should absolutely go after those people. The decent thing to do is to let the few lower income households who collected in error off the hook, and I guess we'll see if the CRA actually does that. it certainly makes sense from a revenue perspective because you're way less likely to even get money back from low income households.

also the whole point of not means testing is for political considerations, i.e. that letting everyone benefit from government programs will give them more broad popularity, it's not because giving money to rich people also benefits poor people somehow

ah yes, the government not providing more money to survive to impoverished part time workers (like virtual russian) or people who are too disabled to work (like myself) is very defensible, it's only about popularity of messaging you see

gently caress

OFF

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

The idea of giving everyone CERB and then taxing it back from those who didn't need it afterwards is way too efficient and makes way too much sense to ever be adopted as policy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"But that would be mincome"

Yes, and?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and the liberal government is not going to implement mincome

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Arivia posted:

ah yes, the government not providing more money to survive to impoverished part time workers (like virtual russian) or people who are too disabled to work (like myself) is very defensible, it's only about popularity of messaging you see

maybe you could quote where I advocated that the government shouldn't provide money to those people, because that's not what I am trying to do here

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

gently caress

OFF

This is a bad post and a deliberate misreading, Arivia, they’re talking about the reality as it stands when making that statement vs. what it should be.

Are you posting about how much you love rich people getting more free money by attacking their post? No, because that’s silly and would be a huge misinterpretation of your statement based on bad faith and anger.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, if I misread it when it’s obvious to others, I’ll retract it. My apologies.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Arivia posted:

government sucks, mps suck, the NDP is at least someone I wouldn't punch in the face if I met them in person

I don't think you would punch any member of parliament in the face if you met them in person

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my friend who was furloughed on CERB for 5 months does not qualify for the BC Recovery Benefit but my partner and I whose income has more than doubled since 2019 will be receiving close to the full BC Recovery Benefit :agesilaus:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't think you would punch any member of parliament in the face if you met them in person

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i sometimes forget that our current prime minister first really leaped into the national spotlight for physically beating an indigenous man on live television

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

lol it's really obvious you have no idea who i am

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

i sometimes forget that our current prime minister first really leaped into the national spotlight for physically beating an indigenous man on live television

Finally, an honest politician

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

jettisonedstuff posted:

hell yeah fight the power by getting big mad at the middle class

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

hell yeah fight the power by getting big mad at the middle class

I can be mad at more than one thing at once...

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

vyelkin posted:

don't forget beating up a woman in the house of commons

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

my friend who was furloughed on CERB for 5 months does not qualify for the BC Recovery Benefit but my partner and I whose income has more than doubled since 2019 will be receiving close to the full BC Recovery Benefit :agesilaus:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm eligible. I applied for residency in November....

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Reality Protester posted:

don't forget beating up a woman in the house of commons

also his hilarious party trick of falling down stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnwK01n904

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

xtal posted:

Finally, an honest politician

:hmmyes:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-covid-coronavirus-pandemic-1.5840550

quote:

CRA sent 441,000 'education letters' to Canadians who may have to repay CERB benefits
The Canada Revenue Agency says it has sent out 441,000 letters warning individuals that they may not be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefits they received.

Described as "education letters" by a CRA spokesperson, the letters were sent to those for whom the agency said it was "unable to confirm ... employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019, or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application" — one of the key criteria for the CERB program.

In the past several weeks, many Canadians have reported they received such letters and now fear they'll have to repay thousands of dollars in benefits.

The new figure provided by CRA suggests how broad the problem might be. According to federal figures, 8.9 million Canadians applied for CERB. That means nearly 5 per cent of applicants have received letters saying they may not be eligible and could be forced to repay benefits.

Many of those affected have argued that the federal government never clearly defined how the $5,000 amount would be calculated. Some point to the CERB application, which asks if the person received "a minimum of $5,000 (before taxes) in the last 12 months, or in 2019 …" but makes no explicit mention of expense deductions.

In emails to CBC News, the CRA says it has been clear about how it defines income.

"The CRA considers self-employment income as the net pre-tax income (gross income less expenses). This is consistent with how self-employment income is calculated when dealing with the CRA. To be clear, there has been no change to this position during the lifecycle of the CERB," a CRA spokesperson told CBC News earlier this month.

The CRA also said the employment income requirement has been publicized on Canada.ca "since the beginning" on a Q&A page for self-employed and independent workers.

However, a CBC News search of archived internet pages shows that information was added sometime after April 21 — about two weeks after the program opened for applications.

Some Canadians are getting letters from the Canada Revenue Agency, suggesting they could have to repay thousands of dollars in CERB money because they may not have been eligible to receive it in the first place. 6:54

The CRA says that not everyone who receives a letter will be required to repay their CERB benefits. Recipients are encouraged to complete their 2020 tax returns to help the CRA correctly identify the benefits and credits to which they are entitled.

The letter says that those who do owe CERB money are encouraged to repay by Dec. 31. A CRA spokesperson said this is for tax filing purposes, not a repayment deadline.
A promise of 'flexibility'

"If you are unable to immediately repay the amount," reads a sample of the warning letter provided to CBC News, "we can make an arrangement to give you more time and flexibility based on your ability to pay."

In fact, the CRA has suspended collection activity on new debt during the pandemic. The agency has said it will resume collecting on debts, including CERB payments, "when it is responsible to do so."

Some of those who received letters from the CRA say they spent their CERB benefits on basic needs such as groceries and rent. They say they fear they would not be able to repay the money if asked.

Asked about the situation in question period last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested the government had been clear from the beginning about the pandemic supports it has offered Canadians.

"The rules did not change, but we indicated to Canadians that we will work with them if people made good-faith mistakes," he told the House of Commons.

CRA's most recent run of warning letters is in addition to the 213,000 letters the agency sent out in November. Those letters were addressed to Canadians who applied for CERB through both Service Canada and the CRA, and warned them that repayment may be required.

The CRA says it's possible that some Canadians received both letters.

ahahahaha more than half a million people. they dont have enough prisons to lock them all up, get hosed CRA

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

the government will pay more for the coming class action lawsuit than they will ever recover from doing this.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

maybe we can use the empty tarsand camps as makeshift prisons

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

odiv posted:

Okay that seems a bit offside.

yeah you're right, nevermind

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Dec 15, 2020

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay that seems a bit offside.

Anyway...

Canada finally has a plan to meet its climate target — and maybe now there can be a real debate
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/net-zero-carbon-climate-trudeau-1.5838736

quote:

...this is the first time Canada's ever had a plan that is being proposed that shows how we will not only meet, but we will exceed the [climate] targets to which we have committed internationally.

First time? In 2020? I mean I guess it's better than nothing. :unsmith:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wish it was for anything other than covid killing travel. It'll go back up when the vaccines is out.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

blatman posted:

maybe we can use the empty tarsand camps as makeshift prisons

cruel and unusual, dude.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frank Dillinger posted:

cruel and unusual, dude.

Yeah come on, we save that kind of treatment for TFWs!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Rutibex posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-covid-coronavirus-pandemic-1.5840550

ahahahaha more than half a million people. they dont have enough prisons to lock them all up, get hosed CRA

You'd probably be impressed by the CRA's ability to collect. CERB amounts are easily recoverable in withheld benefits or seized funds/assets if people refuse to play along.

It's kind of like that "... But if you owe the bank 100 million, the bank has a problem" saw.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sassafras posted:

You'd probably be impressed by the CRA's ability to collect. CERB amounts are easily recoverable in withheld benefits or seized funds/assets if people refuse to play along.

It's kind of like that "... But if you owe the bank 100 million, the bank has a problem" saw.

actually you can't bleed a stone. if you try to "collect" $16,000 from extremely poor people by stealing money from their bank accounts and cutting off their benefits you will only displace the burden onto another government service. they still need to eat, so whos going to feed them? they will get welfare or they will steal and the prisons system will feed them (costs a lot more than $16,000 to house a prisoner in canada). when they get sick from sleeping outside because the are evicted and have no money they are going to the hospital where they will get a lot more than $16,000 worth of medical treatment.

the government aen't collecting poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

actually you can't bleed a stone. if you try to "collect" $16,000 from extremely poor people by stealing money from their bank accounts and cutting off their benefits you will only displace the burden onto another government service. they still need to eat, so whos going to feed them? they will get welfare or they will steal and the prisons system will feed them (costs a lot more than $16,000 to house a prisoner in canada). when they get sick from sleeping outside because the are evicted and have no money they are going to the hospital where they will get a lot more than $16,000 worth of medical treatment.

the government aen't collecting poo poo.

obviously we just cut those programs for getting to expensive

use your brian