Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Very much same.

Dr Z trying his best to be subtle about ordering Gary and Monarch to assassinate.

I do love that they succeed in their mission through sheer luck and complete deniability.

I feel there's a likely theme that luck is a very significant factor in which heroes and villains survive to be well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love that they succeed in their mission through sheer luck and complete deniability.

I feel there's a likely theme that luck is a very significant factor in which heroes and villains survive to be well known.

Gary got his wings out of sheer luck.

Remember what happened to Speedy? Yeah, he didn't want to wait for luck. He was in too much of a hurry to get those wings.

(in Henchman 24's voice) Probably why we called him "Speed-y."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean Gary was even just kidnapped by weird chance and was lucky to have clicked with 24 and the others too.

Man, I want an episode now focused on some sort of weird fly by night Henchman replacement service.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

Gary got his wings out of sheer luck.

Remember what happened to Speedy? Yeah, he didn't want to wait for luck. He was in too much of a hurry to get those wings.

(in Henchman 24's voice) Probably why we called him "Speed-y."

I would totally watch a Monarch/21/24 spin-off set before the main show.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Both are great moments. That and weirdly sweet final arch.

All the arches in that episode are pretty heartwarming (well, maybe not the dick measuring contest but all the other ones).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean Gary was even just kidnapped by weird chance

Oh was that Fat Chance's brother?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would totally watch a Monarch/21/24 spin-off set before the main show.

All the arches in that episode are pretty heartwarming (well, maybe not the dick measuring contest but all the other ones).

I would too. They could go weird with it and set it when Speedy first joined up, before he even got the name Speedy. Every episode is told from his perspective as he learns the ropes and grows as a character and, more importantly, as a henchman. He sort-of narrates some parts of the episodes. And maybe on his first day, he annoys one of the other henchmen. Someone who is working maintenance? Maybe he's fixing a door, and the new guys guesses as to what could be wrong--maybe somebody sabotaged it?--and that annoys the maintenance henchman so much that for the rest of the show, there's always a B- or C-plot dealing with this maintenance guy trying to get even with oh my God I just invented Scrubs.

But Venture Bros.: Lower Decks sounds fun.

I did like all the arches, but I also liked how Phantom Limb and Hunter Gathers get in a literal dick measuring contest.

IUG posted:

Oh was that Fat Chance's brother?

:yosnice:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

tarlibone posted:

But Venture Bros.: Lower Decks sounds fun.

Vench Bros: Hench 4 Lyfe.

It would be fun to have the show aggressively focus on some rando schmucks. Like have a regular Venture season going on in the background/on the horizon, but giving it little to no regard beyond henchmen X Y and Z getting dragged into increasingly insane/weird battles/problems while they continue to discuss/complain about banal subjects while fighting off crab people or OSI. Basically Seinfeld but with slightly more costumed aggression.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

I did like all the arches, but I also liked how Phantom Limb and Hunter Gathers get in a literal dick measuring contest.

No one is going to mention Red Death's final arch just being a PP rear end in a top hat he nominally met for the first time earlier that day. Who he then proceeds to murder by tying him to the B/D line on the Brooklyn Bridge while pontificating about the good 'ole days.

I also want to throw out how loving on point they were on villain names those last two seasons: Blind Rage, Think Tank, Haranguetan and Battle Axe. Motherfucking the entire Doom Factory.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

No one is going to mention Red Death's final arch just being a PP rear end in a top hat he nominally met for the first time earlier that day. Who he then proceeds to murder by tying him to the B/D line on the Brooklyn Bridge while pontificating about the good 'ole days.

I also want to throw out how loving on point they were on villain names those last two seasons: Blind Rage, Think Tank, Haranguetan and Battle Axe. Motherfucking the entire Doom Factory.

Mr. Farenheit, the Supersonic Man

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Warbird posted:

Vench Bros: Hench 4 Lyfe.

It would be fun to have the show aggressively focus on some rando schmucks. Like have a regular Venture season going on in the background/on the horizon, but giving it little to no regard beyond henchmen X Y and Z getting dragged into increasingly insane/weird battles/problems while they continue to discuss/complain about banal subjects while fighting off crab people or OSI. Basically Seinfeld but with slightly more costumed aggression.

You’re describing Rosencrantz and Guldenstern are Dead like, almost verbatim.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

There are two ways to read that scene.

• Red Death didn't accrually look to see who his last arch was. He was more interested in teaching the Peril Partnership a lesson about respecting the Guild.
  • Since Red Death has killed all of his arches, the only one left was the enemy he had made earlier in the day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AlternateNu posted:

The name think tank was great, but his implementation kind of bored me. I think that was due to his introduction in the trailer. He burst through the wall and said "think tank". The idea of a large brained tank man named think tank was hilarious in that moment, and I don't know if there was anyway to improve on that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

qirex posted:

You’re describing Rosencrantz and Guldenstern are Dead like, almost verbatim.

Is that a good thing? I’ve never heard of the film until now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Warbird posted:

It's Hamlet from the point of view of the two clowns.

Disney even made their own version of it out of their Hamlet property in Lion King 1 1/2.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Warbird posted:

I was a drama nerd in the ‘90s so it pretty much ticked all the boxes for me. I really like it but it is really meta.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It's worth a watch to draw your own conclusions, try the film version with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The name think tank was great, but his implementation kind of bored me. I think that was due to his introduction in the trailer. He burst through the wall and said "think tank". The idea of a large brained tank man named think tank was hilarious in that moment, and I don't know if there was anyway to improve on that.

Him challenging Doc to a game of chess to battle wits and Doc not knowing how to play was hilarious :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Him challenging Doc to a game of chess to battle wits and Doc not knowing how to play was hilarious :colbert:

You know, that would make a lot of sense if the Doc Venture he was expecting was Jonas Jr. They'd probably even get along.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

More of a Parcheesi man

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know, that would make a lot of sense if the Doc Venture he was expecting was Jonas Jr. They'd probably even get along.

That is what they say in the book.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and have never been able to get a grasp on Chess, so I can definitely see how even a Super Scientist like Rusty wasn't able to either

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and have never been able to get a grasp on Chess, so I can definitely see how even a Super Scientist like Rusty wasn't able to either

Same, mostly. I mean, I know the basic rules and how the pieces move. I can play a game. I can even pull off an en passant, but castling I just don't get unless I'm reading about it. If course, not playing it regularly probably has something to do with it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Chess feels like a game that requires study to make any headway on and no way to naturally learn them. It's about knowing common openers and counters and so on.

There just seems like better options to match mental prowess now. And if you want something traditional to compare to people across time Go seems like the better answer

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 15, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't see any reason to think someone who is super good at Chess or Go was any different than someone who was extremely good at Counter Strike or Starcraft Broodwar besides the fact I recognize when shows use that sort of thing to show intelligence. Being really great at a game doesn't make me think you're super smart or good about other things. Maybe if I was picking a champion for me in a trial-by-checkers-duel, I might point to someone I knew to beat chess expert, without knowing their skill with checkers. If it was a trial-by-smarty-test I wouldn't consider chess skill. Although... if it was trial-by-strategic-scenario-where-chess-expert-can-smugly-list-chess-metaphors-as-irrelevant-plan-plays-out I would consider chesspertise.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He should have opted for Dungeons & Dragons instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

He should have opted for Dungeons & Dragons instead.

Nah should be Yugioh, most of the show's characters have the perfect kind of personalites for that sort of thing

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Nah should be Yugioh, most of the show's characters have the perfect kind of personalites for that sort of thing

I can hear the Monarch playing Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth and Orpheus playing Dark Magician

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
We know that Gary has a bunch of Magic: The Gathering cards.

Monarch crew is a Deckmaster crew.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Orpheus: I play my Black Lotus card

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I told you no more magical gatherings, I can't understand those card games!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Orpheus: I play my Black Lotus card

Doc: Disenchant.

Dean: What? Where did you even get one of those?

Doc: What, they're common?

Al: Yeah, like, 20 years ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Doc still has that wizard character and it is still seducing golems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Kaiba would fit into the Guild so well it's scary. Canon or Abridged.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kaiba would fit into the Guild so well it's scary. Canon or Abridged.

That's actually exactly what I had in mind, blatant expy of Kaiba is introduced as the Guild's hottest rising star, turns out he's a huge fan of The Monarch, and most of the cast is shown getting addicted to his Children's Card Game

Meanwhile Dean ends up meeting an expy pf Yugi who is full bore early manga style in ruining people's lives with horrible game themed magical punishments(except with way crappier justifications for doing so), probably climaxing in a magical duel between him and Orpheus(I can see a bit where Orpheus talks to his master about the kid and the Master admits he was one of his less successful pupils who turned out to be a total dick)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yami Yugi's already wild enough as being a literal ancient Egyptian pharaoh who not only believes himself to be a divine ruler but has Bronze Age ideas of justice ('eye for an eye' was meant to be fairer than previous practices of disproportionate punishments) and overall morality and ethics that's incomprehensible to most everyone else.

Rusty probably doesn't even register much of a difference from the LARP-with-real-guns that his life has already been defined by.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yami Yugi's already wild enough as being a literal ancient Egyptian pharaoh who not only believes himself to be a divine ruler but has Bronze Age ideas of justice ('eye for an eye' was meant to be fairer than previous practices of disproportionate punishments) and overall morality and ethics that's incomprehensible to most everyone else.

Rusty probably doesn't even register much of a difference from the LARP-with-real-guns that his life has already been defined by.

That's actually kinda what I was leaning towards, it works in Yugioh cause A) he's the protagonist, B) his victims are enormous assholes(and at least a couple times full bore murderers), and C) he dials it back over time

Here there would be none of those redeeming features, so it would be kinda like the Groovy Gang in that regard

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m hoping for another Christmas song this year because 2019’s Last Christmas was a bit crap — the singing doesn’t sound very Shoreleave-y and there’s no skit or banter to it, pretty much just a straight (lol) cover

But I understand if Jackson and Doc aren’t feeling very festive this year :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're gonna be too busy working on the next season, It's coming, I'll never give up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So to bring the show back (and avoid the Hulu contract) they would have to rename the show. What new title would be the best?
'Ventures in Science?

From the files of the OSI?

Order of the Triad: The Series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Go Team Venture