Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

psiox posted:

that episode had jack black and therefore owned

yeah he was the zapped kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzZMyfjy9E

I can feel my pants embaggening as I watch this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Alan Smithee posted:

let me guess: she was in an open marriage and he wasn't

not to my knowledge although he’s 100% the type to end up there and not complain about it. thankfully i was out of the apartment when she insisted on sucking him off in front of a group of people. they were both garbage people.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Schadenboner posted:

I’m just impressed that Billy Idol still has this much “buzz” (as the kids say these days) 27 years after the album released!

that is super weird i dont get it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

that is super weird i dont get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_(album)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

haveblue posted:

I can feel my pants embaggening as I watch this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"I'm asking you Scully, whose beautiful house is this? How did I get here?"

Point of order: In stop Making Sense David Byrne wears the big suit for the track Girlfriend is Better, not for Once in a Lifetime.

Also that film owns bones

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/chuniewhat/status/1337745589019271168

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Also that film owns bones

i watched it about a month ago and it's such a delight. I agree with the critics that it's one of the best concert films of all time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yea me and the girlfriend started watching x files again last week. the 1080p versions look really good, honestly. it’s weird to see true 90s fashion in 1080p.

this guy basically has a “jazz” solo cup tie that i’d want but 90s ties were way too wide.

also this lie detector technician seems to be wearing a “sofa cover” or maybe “drab office cubicle wall” skirt suit.

also the shoulders of mulders suits start out pretty small in season 1 in ‘93 but the later seasons woah boy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

imagine 3 chrome spheres at the edge of a grid

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i watched it about a month ago and it's such a delight. I agree with the critics that it's one of the best concert films of all time.

100%

I think I've bought like 3 or 4 copies of it on dvd, blu ray and CD. I used to regularly come home drunk on a Friday and just watch it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1337843050056458242

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alan Smithee posted:

imagine 3 chrome spheres at the edge of a grid

ah the Sikkim Steel Combine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol they are still playing that dumb linkin park video at his rallies

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

akadajet posted:

lol they are still playing that dumb linkin park video at his rallies

lmao

"no you shut the gently caress up, supreme court!"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
can’t remember if this was posted before

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1336514865502908416?s=21

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

it has, maybe here, maybe elsewhere, but this should def be posted on every page to let all the cyber-losers and e-haters what’s up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I unironically want to see a sequel to Hackers

I think it would be hard to recreate the right mix of sincere cheese but there's def material to work with. The story is Dade Murphy becomes an Elon Musk style tech billionaire and he has to ask himself if he's the baddie now

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i was in this segment:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Alan Smithee posted:

I unironically want to see a sequel to Hackers

I think it would be hard to recreate the right mix of sincere cheese but there's def material to work with. The story is Dade Murphy becomes an Elon Musk style tech billionaire and he has to ask himself if he's the baddie now

I do too, even though Angelina Jolie's salary alone would cost more than the entire budget of the original movie. (Especially to star in a movie with an ex-husband.)

But I think any Hackers sequel would have to approach the mundanity of it all, now. Like, there's this quote that I believe is from William Gibson (and that I'm going to paraphrase quite a bit): "People used to say the word 'hacker' and it meant 'I'm a social malcontent with a computer. Computers were this new magical device that few people understood but could do anything. Now computers are mundane. 'I'm a social malcontent with a computer' has about as much weight as 'I'm a social malcontent with a vacuum cleaner'."

Dade runs a small security firm doing pen testing. Kate is a bored SVP of sales and marketing at a major tech firm (after finally giving up the fight to stay in the more tech-focused areas because Silicon Valley sexism kept pushing her away from those roles). Phreak's a senior dba. Cereal is that data center guy with the pony tail from Silicon Valley. Nikon maybe has Wendell Pierce's role at the Secret Service (it could be like Kate, he kept being held back because of racism in the industry and realized he could go further with government work).

Clearly, the person who becomes the Elon Musk/Mark Zuckerberg billionaire has to be Joey. He never really got better at hacking or coding, but he was in the right place at the right time and his social network or payment system or fart app or whatever became huge. Of course, Joey has the bored malevolence of a billionaire and wants to relive the brief glory days in high school when it seemed like being a hacker was the coolest thing ever. So on the day "The Plague" is released from jail, Joey releases a new massive virus and blames it on The Plague. The virus is built by a secret black-ops team at his company to appear severely dangerous, but of course have a secret kill switch so it doesn't do anything. Joey assembles the old gang because he claims he needs their help and only they can stop this virus.

The gang is assembled, they start to work things out, quickly figure out the virus is fake but in the process uncover even more nefarious poo poo Joey has gotten up to with his black-ops team, and then it's hackers vs evil billionaire to save the world. Once again they have to call in legions of hackers from around the world to bring him down, somebody screams "Hack the planet!!!", roll credits.

(Is it obvious that I'm procrastinating on some very serious work right now by making speculative effortposts.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that very serious work being the full length feature script

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

LanceHunter posted:

But I think any Hackers sequel would have to approach the mundanity of it all, now. Like, there's this quote that I believe is from William Gibson (and that I'm going to paraphrase quite a bit): "People used to say the word 'hacker' and it meant 'I'm a social malcontent with a computer. Computers were this new magical device that few people understood but could do anything. Now computers are mundane. 'I'm a social malcontent with a computer' has about as much weight as 'I'm a social malcontent with a vacuum cleaner'."

excuse me, but hackers can turn your computer into a bomb

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
but thankfully not your vacuum cleaner. that they just stop from working by taking down aws lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if they can hack a van they hack a vacuum

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

accidental catch while slicing up the episode for the cool glitch scenes

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 13, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1337939343646871552

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/NavyTimes/status/1338229662481313802

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the lasting legacies of the space force will be esports and a painfully unfunny steve carrel sitcom

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

the lasting legacies of the space force will be esports and a painfully unfunny steve carrel sitcom

i made it like 90 seconds into the pilot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got all the way through the first episode!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1338146584316489729

init void

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:mods:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1338375990217760771?s=20

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1334641206580682752?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol the more he tweets the more he just seems like tech trump

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh keep the elon poo poo to the elon thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStn70Ot4r0