Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jestery posted:

Best of luck my dude

I've lived tropics all my life and dealing with frost is weird and scary to me

I hope your crassula come back,I really do, it's a wonderful specimen

Should be fine, plant looks wicked healthy sans leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My fiance and I are moving and we would like to take a feature of our current house to our new one: a huge maple tree that we both love. I gathered ~30 seeds from the little helicopters on my lawn, but how can I store these things for the winter so that I can plant them in the Spring/ Summer and have them survive?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

My fiance and I are moving and we would like to take a feature of our current house to our new one: a huge maple tree that we both love. I gathered ~30 seeds from the little helicopters on my lawn, but how can I store these things for the winter so that I can plant them in the Spring/ Summer and have them survive?

Maple seeds want to be chilled for a while before they begin sprouting, because in their natural environment that's what happens - the seeds drop in the fall and are programmed to wait until they've gone through winter to sprout, otherwise they'd sprout immediately and then die in the cold. Actually lots of plants require this.

If I were you, I'd try planting some of the seeds outdoors in the ground now, and put the others in the fridge following advice you can find by searching "[variety] maple cold stratification." They may tell you to wrap them in moist peat first, or some other method. (If you don't know the exact variety, post pics and someone who isn't me should be able to help!)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What kind of maple is it?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You could probably plant them now and you'd get lots of babies, depending where you are and what stage of winter you're in. I'm not 100% but I think maples need cold treatment if you want them to germinate, so you could chuck em in your fridge until you want to plant them. The earlier the better though since you'll want them to be as strong as possible before the next winter.

As an aside, maples grow like weeds where I am and it may be more labour intensive than I'm imagining.

Edit: beaten

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's a Sugar Maple. We don't has access to the property yet, however we will in January. I guess I could just put them in a jar in the fridge until then?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That'll do

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spread your eggs out between a few baskets.

Last time I did cold stratification, the seeds I had in ziplock bags didn’t germinate, but the ones in peat pellets in the same refrigerator were one hundred percent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

It's a Sugar Maple. We don't has access to the property yet, however we will in January. I guess I could just put them in a jar in the fridge until then?

That sounds fun. Mind you, maple seedlings are gonna look like poo poo for the first couple of years. So while you’re at it you should find yourself a nice more mature maple sapling and join us in the bonsai thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The E. trigona rubra I got for my mom’s Christmas/birthday gift arrived yesterday and I’m struggling really hard not to amputate a branch for myself. What a stunningly gorgeous plant.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I had to harvest my loofahs before they turned brown due to an oncoming frost. Can I just let it sit in my garage to dry out? Or do I need to leave it outside for best results? I'm expecting to lose a few to mold and the like, but I'd like to salvage as much as possible.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ok Comboomer posted:

The E. trigona rubra I got for my mom’s Christmas/birthday gift arrived yesterday and I’m struggling really hard not to amputate a branch for myself. What a stunningly gorgeous plant.

That's a sweet cactus, I love its uh.. flaps??

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Well, we finally got our first 'real' freeze here, and now my husband hates me.

It's times like this when you really realize that maybe you actually do have a problem...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

Well, we finally got our first 'real' freeze here, and now my husband hates me.

It's times like this when you really realize that maybe you actually do have a problem...

I think the only problem is you havent built a giant fuckoff plant stand inside for when it freezes because that is a solid little collection

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t see the problem.

It’s cheaper than a home in Hawai‘i.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
A tour of my garden

I spent a bit of time yesterday organising a little more

I have hit the extent of how large I can make it with sunlight, so gains are now best made through planning and logistics

Here's the front.

Front and center are my bonsai, to the left is my Kang Kong which I use very regularly in my cooking and selling. On the right are my herbs

Reverse shot

Tomatoes, capsicums, cucumbers and other productive plants on the left here

And on the right I keep my onions, chives and garlic, ginger and parsley. Makes it easy to grab what I need for a stir-fry

Side shot

My little pottager area

4 or 5 different types of basil , marjoram parsley, mint and sage

My in-locus area

This area gets good enough light for cuttings to take but not dry out and not much more.

Plants usually sit here for a while until I work out what to do with them. Currently a good bit of Thai basil and Sabung nyawa there. I'll work it out some day

I hope you all enjoyed the tour

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I think the only problem is you havent built a giant fuckoff plant stand inside for when it freezes because that is a solid little collection

Listen, I only just started getting into plant keeping when Covid started, I'm not even a year into this yet. Give it t i m e.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone ID this thing? The leaves are super thick and fleshy, pretty neat. Unfortunately my store just had it as "assorted succulents' though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
looks like some kind of Crassula varietal

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

This is the first time one of my haworthia has flowered! I've only had them a few months so I'm feeling very self-satisfied. :cool:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Nosre posted:

Anyone ID this thing? The leaves are super thick and fleshy, pretty neat. Unfortunately my store just had it as "assorted succulents' though

It's a peperomia graveolens, I have one too!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Awesome, thanks! That'll help me hopefully not kill it :sun:

:3:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

subpar anachronism posted:

This is the first time one of my haworthia has flowered! I've only had them a few months so I'm feeling very self-satisfied. :cool:

Congrats! Haworthia have the cutest dainty little flowers. The first time I had one flower it spent almost two months drilling a 3+ foot stalk towards the ceiling to hold up flowers the size of a penny.

I've been nursing myself through winter gardening withdrawal by buying plants I probably shouldn't be buying and making stuff.

Last week I finally got in a pot + saucer to go on a little table I made last month and replanted my Dracaena trifasciata 'Laurentii' and Dracaena angolensis in it with a newish Dracaena masoniana. A 12" pot sure seemed like it would be big enough but maybe I should have gone for the 15. I guess it would take even longer for them to get tall enough to balance the massive pot out then.

I was pretty happy to find out that Terrain has started selling decent looking metal plant trays at prices I can afford as I've been trying to find a place to get them in a wide variety of sizes for ages. I like the copper ones more than the powder coated steel but they only go up to 12".

Also got in a couple of fancy Aloes yesterday (Swordfish and Krakatoa, respectively, I have no idea what the one in the back is and neither did the person who gave it to me).

We're only halfway through winter and I'm going to run out of space :(

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 10, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
In case y’all didn’t know I have a bit of a Euphorbia/Croton/Euphorbicae collecting thing going—and, naturally, the season has me noticing all these neat poinsettia varietals

On a scale of 1-10 how stupid/ill-advised am I to try to rescue a bunch of poinsettias from post-holiday liquidation? How stupid am I to try to get them to thrive and reflower? (As I understand it you keep them like a standard croton until the fall and then you have to carefully control their light environment or you don’t get the color change and flowering).

Seems like it’s more of a “poinsettias are cheap, disposable, closely associated with the holidays, and getting them to look good after a year is exponentially more trouble than that’s worth/probably requires at least a grow tent or lit closet” issue and less of an outright “poinsettias are impossible and will die on you” issue.

I feel like a big issue for me is size— croton experience (and plant experience in general) tells me that a much bigger plant is going to be a lot hardier and stand a much better chance of looking great next year, but a few 6” or 4” poinsettias at $2 a pop is a much easier pill to swallow than having a bunch of clearance 8” or 10” poinsettias kicking around all year. Will I come to hate them in the summer?

I feel like one of those people who tries to adopt unwanted goldfish and I’m gonna end up with some hideous plant carp.

Like nobody’s gonna think “oh cool tropical plant” they’re gonna be like “why do you have these Christmas plants? Why did you invest so much in them? What is wrong with you?” Right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you do something that’s a little weird, you’re a weirdo.

If you do something that’s really weird, you’re an artist.

You can’t go halfway on this. Either grow the most magnificent poinsettia display you can, or don’t bother.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I feel like one of those people who tries to adopt unwanted goldfish and I’m gonna end up with some hideous plant carp.

Like nobody’s gonna think “oh cool tropical plant” they’re gonna be like “why do you have these Christmas plants? Why did you invest so much in them? What is wrong with you?” Right?

Do what you feel and feel what you do. Plant carp sound awesome, I love watching the carp spawn in the shallows of lakes, weird fuckers them and I. gently caress anyone who is judging you because you got a bunch of plants you're into!

Platystemon posted:

You can’t go halfway on this. Either grow the most magnificent poinsettia display you can, or don’t bother.

Yea I agree and say go hard. I know an idea is good if people call me crazy because people are really boring

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This ends with me buying a lightproof grow tent for my weird poinsettia rescue experiment

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

In case y’all didn’t know I have a bit of a Euphorbia/Croton/Euphorbicae collecting thing going—and, naturally, the season has me noticing all these neat poinsettia varietals

On a scale of 1-10 how stupid/ill-advised am I to try to rescue a bunch of poinsettias from post-holiday liquidation? How stupid am I to try to get them to thrive and reflower? (As I understand it you keep them like a standard croton until the fall and then you have to carefully control their light environment or you don’t get the color change and flowering).

Seems like it’s more of a “poinsettias are cheap, disposable, closely associated with the holidays, and getting them to look good after a year is exponentially more trouble than that’s worth/probably requires at least a grow tent or lit closet” issue and less of an outright “poinsettias are impossible and will die on you” issue.

I feel like a big issue for me is size— croton experience (and plant experience in general) tells me that a much bigger plant is going to be a lot hardier and stand a much better chance of looking great next year, but a few 6” or 4” poinsettias at $2 a pop is a much easier pill to swallow than having a bunch of clearance 8” or 10” poinsettias kicking around all year. Will I come to hate them in the summer?

People grow them in their yard here, but they seem to change colors after christmas? It's a definite old lady plant. My great grandmother had some 6' tall.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

People grow them in their yard here, but they seem to change colors after christmas? It's a definite old lady plant. My great grandmother had some 6' tall.

Yeah they remind me of spending summers in Latin America at my grandmas’ houses

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Non-succulent euphorbia aren't my thing at all, but my understanding is that the ones they sell as disposable holiday decorations are not the same varieties you'd get at a garden center for putting in the ground. Kind of like how lots of the tulips on sale aren't really suitable for naturalizing because they've been bred to put on one really good show and nothing else.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Alright lads, it sounds like the frost has finally come to our beloved plant thread. But we will soon blossom into a new spring

I’ll post the OP after the weekend but I need bad rear end plant pics to put in there. I’ve got some of my own and other sources but I’d like to get more choice pics from thread regulars

Please post anything you’d be proud to share for the reboot and I’ll pop them in. Anything is cool, succulents, cacti, shrubs, trees, you name it; let’s make it pretty

I’ll see u on the other side... :toot:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
It also goes without saying that I know plenty great plant pics have been posted in here by much more powerful posters than myself, so just please don’t make me search for them

Edit: I know my man wallet has got some pics to contribute +callout+

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 12, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I wish I had some better ones of my root over brick bonsai but he is not ready yet

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

It also goes without saying that I know plenty great plant pics have been posted in here by much more powerful posters than myself, so just please don’t make me search for them

Uh-oh :ohdear:

Most of the pictures I have are just for reference so I know how things are doing. Here's my favorite indoors plant (Pachycereus marginatus f. cristata) in April and December—not for the OP really, just because he's been a busy little cactus.

There's some random succulent pictures (mostly not mine) in the little succulent thing I wrote up when we talked about the new OP a while ago.

And here's a random collection of pictures from scrolling through Google Photos trying to find photos that aren't reference pictures of my messy rear end garden (use whatever you want/don't want):

Echinops sphaerocephalus 'Arctic Glow'

Asclepias tuberosa

Lilium lancifolium

Monarda hybrid (probably)

Yucca filamentosa 'Color Guard'

Viburnum rhytidophyllum

Lilium hybrids

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Punch of links/quotes:
Old fashioned roses: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=94772#post494194917
Camellia post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=94772&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post502556698

Some zinnias:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Since there was some zinnia chat, here's some zinnias:

The plumbago and roses behind them have gotten way out of control. There's some cool double ones in there, but I can't remember what I actually planted.

Volunteers that came up in the backyard in some compost or mulch or something:

My bottlebrush buckeye is really blooming right now too. It's got some little volunteers coming up under it so all my friends are about to get little buckeyes of their own.
Some gingers:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never grown edible ginger, but I grow a bunch of ornamental gingers here in 8b/9a. Very easy to propogate from tubers, or sometimes they start growing baby plants on spent flowers (there is a name for this but I can't remember it). They like some shade, but otherwise are pretty bulletproof. They go bananas in August/September when everything else is too hot and tired to grow and then die back with a frost but come back every year. There a guy out in the country (where it is colder) I know who grows turmeric and ginger for a local health food store.
Gingerz:

Some other goon's amazing flowers/photos:

amethystbliss posted:

Yay! I'm so happy to have found this thread. I started my first ever gardening project in the fall - a tiny 4x4 raised bed cutting garden. I just kind of dumped a bunch of flower bulbs under some soil and hoped for the best. Now I have the prettiest garden blooming with anemones and ranunculus and I'm hooked.

I have a very dumb newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I live in the Bay Area (zone 10a) where the soil never freezes and the weather is pretty consistent all year round. Do I need to plant on a spring/fall schedule to plant new bulbs? Do seasons even matter somewhere with consistent climate, or can I just plant them whenever and watch everything bloom ~3 months later?

An incredible tree:

Platystemon posted:

This magnificent specimen of Quercus lobata in Mendocino County is the largest oak on the continent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Early this year, C‐SPAM had a thread about Donkey Kong 64 and communism that, for a short time, became the banana thread.

This is the main informational post I made there.

Platystemon posted:

The idea that companies will develope fungus‐resistant bananas is fiction, but not for the reason you think.

First let’s talk about banana genetics. The joke about bananas is that they haven’t had sex for ten thousand years. There is a kernel (that’s a pun) of truth to that. Edible cultivars are sterile, almost by definition.

‘Gros Michel’ could not be bred with ‘Cavendish’ to get something that’s resistant to Panama disease.

However, the forebears of edible bananas were not sterile. We can go to the wild relatives of the domestic banana, breed within each species for fungus resistance, cross two species to get a seedless hybrid, and see how it performs. We’re not modifying a known tasty variety to be resistant to fungus; we’re pulling a slot machine handle and hoping to get something that tastes good and grows well.

Sexual reproduction is great, but there is another way. Clones can diverge through mutations. This can be accelerated with the atomic gardening that gave us the ruby red grapefruit (no, really), but it happens through the centuries regardless.

At around the time the (western) Roman Empire was a going concern, someone in the area of the African Great Lakes obtained a single banana plant. In the centuries since, bananas have flourished in the region. There are now some two hundred cultivars. The majority are picked green and prepared somewhat like a potato, steamed and mashed. There are at least a dozen cultivars that are specialised for beer‐making, the banana equivalent of cider apples. Ugandans eat a quarter tonne of bananas per person per year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sK2MStmxWM

Here is what it looks like to make banana beer the traditional way. It’s more fun.

Despite the great culinary diversity displayed by East African highland bananas (EAHB), they remain extremely close genetically. Threats to the West’s favourite snack the Cavendish get all the press, but an epidemic in East African highland bananas could be this century’s potato famine.

Scientists in Uganda are working on diversifying EAHBs by finding fertile mutants.

quote:

The highest pollination success for the EAHB cultivars was expressed by cultivar “Nakabululu” (34.3%) (Nakabululu clone set) with an average of 1.5 seeds per pollinated bunch

To be clear, a “bunch” of bananas is the entire crop of one plant, not the “hand” they’re broken into at retail. So it’s like finding a needle in a haystack even with the best candidates.

Uganda isn’t the only nation reliant on bananas. Nigeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, China, India, Indonesia, the United States, France (in Guadeloupe), Brazil, and Honduras also have breeding programmes.

So why did I say that companies weren’t going to create fungus‐resistant bananas?

Simple: these are all national efforts.

Let’s ask the big fruit companies what they think about research and development.

David McLaughlin, Chiquita’s senior director for environmental affairs said in 2003, “We supported a breeding program for forty years, but it wasn’t able to develop an alternative to Cavendish. It was very expensive and we got nothing back.” concluding “We concentrate on research into fungicides now.”

Oh dear.

Since then, they’ve backpedaled a little.

quote:

“We never left traditional breeding,” a spokesman for Chiquita told me. “In our core markets, in America and Europe, a genetically modified banana would never be marketable. At the end of the day, we’re interested in continuing to sell bananas.” Jorge Gonzales, Dole’s senior vice-president of agricultural research, said, “Traditional breeding is getting closer. This may be a shot in the dark, but if you don’t take the shot you’ve got absolutely zero chance of hitting the target.”

Chiquita may say they “never left traditional breeding” but they did sell their program to the government of Honduras. It has since had success.

Their first public release was FHIA‐01 ‘Goldfinger’. Some people think this will be the heir to Cavendish.

There are several contenders. FHIA‐17 has ‘Gros Michel’ for a parent.

Another way forward is genetic modification. This is faster than breeding and produces more consistent results, but like the Chiquita guy said, it spooks Western consumers. There is still a way to use modern biotech in a limited way by breeding bananas the old fashioned way, then looking at their genes and seeing how they turned out in important areas. This saves a lot of time over putting seeds in the ground and waiting till they mature.

It was incredibly stupid for the big fruit companies to shutter their breeding programmes.

Ugandans cannot afford to be so precious about their food. They’re genetically modifying bananas to be a better source of vitamin A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUpi7LHBbc

There is western‐funded opposition to GMOs, but it’s tough to argue against “not going blind”.

Here’s a trial of a fungus‐resistant strain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1TvpXKplns

They are using genetic modification to protect the crop they need to survive.

The great threats to the West’s favourite fruit are, in the final sense, ignorance and greed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Early this year, C‐SPAM had a thread about Donkey Kong 64 and communism that, for a short time, became the banana thread.

This is the main informational post I made there.

To be clear, a “bunch” of bananas is the entire crop of one plant, not the “hand” they’re broken into at retail. So it’s like finding a needle in a haystack even with the best candidates.

Uganda isn’t the only nation reliant on bananas. Nigeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, China, India, Indonesia, the United States, France (in Guadeloupe), Brazil, and Honduras also have breeding programmes.

So why did I say that companies weren’t going to create fungus‐resistant bananas?

Simple: these are all national efforts.

Let’s ask the big fruit companies what they think about research and development.

David McLaughlin, Chiquita’s senior director for environmental affairs said in 2003, “We supported a breeding program for forty years, but it wasn’t able to develop an alternative to Cavendish. It was very expensive and we got nothing back.” concluding “We concentrate on research into fungicides now.”

Oh dear.

Since then, they’ve backpedaled a little.

Chiquita may say they “never left traditional breeding” but they did sell their program to the government of Honduras. It has since had success.

Their first public release was FHIA‐01 ‘Goldfinger’. Some people think this will be the heir to Cavendish.

There are several contenders. FHIA‐17 has ‘Gros Michel’ for a parent.

Another way forward is genetic modification. This is faster than breeding and produces more consistent results, but like the Chiquita guy said, it spooks Western consumers. There is still a way to use modern biotech in a limited way by breeding bananas the old fashioned way, then looking at their genes and seeing how they turned out in important areas. This saves a lot of time over putting seeds in the ground and waiting till they mature.

It was incredibly stupid for the big fruit companies to shutter their breeding programmes.

Ugandans cannot afford to be so precious about their food. They’re genetically modifying bananas to be a better source of vitamin A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUpi7LHBbc

There is western‐funded opposition to GMOs, but it’s tough to argue against “not going blind”.

Here’s a trial of a fungus‐resistant strain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1TvpXKplns

They are using genetic modification to protect the crop they need to survive.

The great threats to the West’s favourite fruit are, in the final sense, ignorance and greed.

:eyepop: forever I've never even come close to a post this good

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Punch of links/quotes:
Some gingers:

An incredible tree:

I remember these two and love them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

turns out people do bonsai with them

its not exactly common, but it isn’t uncommon either

oh dear

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

a few pictures if need be for the thread reboot :sun: