Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

I loved the blow by blow replay of the ending of FF8 at the end of Eden

This set me up for wondering if there will be a scene where the WoL is eating a bunch of hot dogs

Anyway things wrapped up nicely, but compared to Omega's orchestral finish with a "The End" title card... hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm expecting a sendoff in 5.5 with the festival they'd been talking about.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eox posted:

Oh, I guess since I did Omega way after the fact I wouldn't have noticed if they did a wrap-up in a later patch, was that ending in 4.5

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eox posted:

Yeah, I think that's a fair bet. I've enjoyed the addition of the interstitial quests they've been adding for the raids. They help to add a bit of pacing for people who are playing patch-by-patch so that you're not waiting a full six months between story beats without something happening.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I still sort of feel like the Ryne/Gaia relationship was super rushed and would have been much much better if she had woken up right after the void walker fight. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the reason she didn't was so they wouldn't have to make a new model and hire a new VA during the actual expansion patch, which was full of a ton of other work.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 14, 2020

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

They're kids, it's fine, kids rush stuff all the time.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Chillgamesh posted:

This post will contain Drakengard and NieR/Automata spoilers so if the gamer reading this wants to avoid that skip this post.

Then space aliens invade and bring a robot army with them! In FFXIV, we fight Compound 2P on the bridge of one of their starships. The aliens go extinct, probably due to the same magical curse that wiped out humanity, but their machines survive due to their high adaptability and capacity for self-replication, and fight a forever war with the androids.

Minor point but according to the Machines themselves, they turned on the aliens, and wiped them out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also just in case you haven't played FF8 or don't remember, someone did the necessary of showing the scenes side by side.

https://twitter.com/FugaFF14_Strife/status/1336513029568008194?s=20

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
The empty referenced the desert that Squall walked through in that scene. As the desert seems to have been a real place in ff8, but Gaia walked through a void instead.
There's probably a better way to put it, but it's the connection my brain got when I watched that, beyond the obvious stuff ofc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I got the impression that most of their relationship development happened during the timeskip from Eden's Verse to Eden's Promise. They're extremely coupley by the start of EP (well, it can be argued that EP is finally where Ryne figures out that she's got a girlfriend rather than a best friend, but Gaia definitely knows where they stand), and the flashbacks in E12 suggest they've been spending quite a bit of time together.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I got the impression that most of their relationship development happened during the timeskip from Eden's Verse to Eden's Promise. They're extremely coupley by the start of EP (well, it can be argued that EP is finally where Ryne figures out that she's got a girlfriend rather than a best friend, but Gaia definitely knows where they stand), and the flashbacks in E12 suggest they've been spending quite a bit of time together.

yeah i kind of like it like that tbh? ryne should have her own life we're not awkward third wheels for, i feel like an important aspect of the raid story especially this patch was establishing and fighting for the life she wants when she's independent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its not really that I wanted to see all the important moments to them, just that I kind of wanted to see more intermediate stages. They went from Gaia being standoffish to charging in with a hammer to save her what felt like really really fast, to me--all during the second eden section. A timeskip in between would have felt more natural to me, I guess.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

That would take pages and pages to explain so I'll just link this
https://youtu.be/__q_Nx9WbgY
You do not want to play those games, they are very bad. The story is good however.

Chillgamesh posted:

This post will contain Drakengard and NieR/Automata spoilers so if the gamer reading this wants to avoid that skip this post. It'll also probably contain narrative errors because I don't remember Drakengard or NieR Gestalt/Replicant super well!

man i watched these videos and read all this stuff and wow, what a crazy fuckin game.

i've never played any NieR game either and i can only suspect it's just as crazy if not more so.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I remember being tempted by drakengard because wow flying dragon game! But never picked it up cause I was poor at the time. Maybe i shoulda stopped my ffxi sub for a few months to pay for it...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The best thing about Drakengard is how all the party members are loving atrocious criminals

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

cheetah7071 posted:

Its not really that I wanted to see all the important moments to them, just that I kind of wanted to see more intermediate stages. They went from Gaia being standoffish to charging in with a hammer to save her what felt like really really fast, to me--all during the second eden section. A timeskip in between would have felt more natural to me, I guess.

Yeah and they really should call, once in a while, even just to say hello and tell you they're doing ok

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
My parents brought my brother the first Drakengard game as kids because they saw a dragon on the cover and decided he would like it. If only they knew...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mordiceius posted:

The best thing about Drakengard is how all the party members are loving atrocious criminals

Yeah it really cannot be emphasized enough that, traditionally, the protagonists of Drakengard games are usually real pieces of poo poo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there aren't a lot of taro characters that are kind people who aren't totally worn down and beaten by the world they live in. maybe emil and to a lesser extent mikhail

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look Yoko Taro wants you to see the humanity in the worst of people, and drat it, he meant worst.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

there aren't a lot of taro characters that are kind people who aren't totally worn down and beaten by the world they live in. maybe emil and to a lesser extent mikhail

Pascal!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bad news

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

that depends

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Pascal's just a friendly item vendor :)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i went and spent the entirety of my evening watching the rest of clemps's drakengard, nier, and nier automata analysis videos, and i gotta say: wow.

can't wait to see where the ffxiv poo poo goes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The way I like to describe Drakengard is that it's a game which mocks bad gameplay ideas by making you go through them while talking about how bad they are. A game where doing all the tedious bullshit to get 100% gets you the bad ending.

It is a fascinating game to exist, but I think Automata is the first one in the series that I'd call playable.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nier gestalt/replicant isnt anywhere near as smooth as automata but for the most part it's really not that bad to play.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CYBEReris posted:

nier gestalt/replicant isnt anywhere near as smooth as automata but for the most part it's really not that bad to play.

Absolute hell if you want to 100% it though, which includes things like a sidequest that takes 2 real like weeks to clear unless you constantly gently caress with the system clock.

Also NG+ puts you into the second half of the game, meaning any sidequests you miss in the first half are flat out lost unless you start an entirely new file.

To really dig it in, the sidequest split is 51%/49% for both halves of the game, just to make you think you're in the clear if you hit 50% completion by the mid-point.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Do you think the remake/remaster will take some of those punishing edges off? The entire mythos seems intriguing but I'm still leery of the sexy robot game for some reason.

Like, I love butts and blindfolds as much as the next person but a while cast of it seems a bit much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hazardousmouse posted:

Do you think the remake/remaster will take some of those punishing edges off? The entire mythos seems intriguing but I'm still leery of the sexy robot game for some reason.

Like, I love butts and blindfolds as much as the next person but a while cast of it seems a bit much.

Probably not. It's part of the experience.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I think Nier is in the same category as Deadly Premonition of games that you have to enjoy in spite of the gameplay. I only played Automata which by all accounts is the most playable Yoko Taro game to date and I still found it alternatingly boring and actively obnoxious to play, I can't imagine what kind of ordeal the 'bad' games are to experience

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Neir Automata is interesting because it's not just 'Yoko Taro but the gameplay is good', it's also 'Platinum Games but the gameplay is edgeless'. It's their only game that doesn't rank you, as well as their game with probably the kindest gameplay (no penalty for excessive dodging, for example).

To make the weirdest comparison I've got in me: Nier Automata is the closest we've got in tone and structure to a good Superman game. The game never feels very difficult as far as combat goes as long as you're honest about what difficulty level you're at, but that doesn't mean it's without stakes, it's just that the stakes come at you sideways and hurt in ways you aren't really equipped to fight back.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Its also Yoko taro without the bite. Nier A is a very smoothed out game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hazardousmouse posted:

nier automata is extremely good and you should just play it

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Man, someone talented needs to do a novelization of that entire body of work so I can enjoy it on my own terms.
$20 says it'll go on sale again for Christmas. Maybe then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hazardousmouse posted:

Man, someone talented needs to do a novelization of that entire body of work so I can enjoy it on my own terms.
$20 says it'll go on sale again for Christmas. Maybe then.

https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-Long-Story-Short/dp/197470162X

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The OG nier had way better gameplay than Automata because at least it didn't pretend to be a lovely character action game. It was still not good but at least wasted less of your time.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It was kind of a build-your-own character action game, through the chip system.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Chillgamesh posted:

This post will contain Drakengard and NieR/Automata spoilers so if the gamer reading this wants to avoid that skip this post.

I knew the Yoko Taro games had a wild story but holy poo poo. I got halfway through NieR Automata before I gave up because it just feels like the game punishes you for wanting to play it, so I for one appreciate the summary.

Was Yoko Taro heavily involved with the FFXIV tie-in? From what I've read about that dude he doesn't seem like the type to do anything by half, so a minor guest appearance for a canned scenario wouldn't seem to suit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's writing the scenario for the raid series.