Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

repiv posted:

You know Windows 7 has been EOL for nearly a year right? Things are going to break more and more as you try to run them on a deprecated operating system
:(

But... why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xander77 posted:

But... why.

Because, for better or for worse, that's how software works.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Real annoyed at how steam doesn’t run on my Win98 machine, the one true operating system

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Xander77 posted:

But... why.

maintaining every single version of every single piece of software is an impossibility, especially when some older pieces of software are fundamentally flawed/vulnerable. you might not even be on 64-bit with win7, even

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

E: wrong thr4qd

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Oldstench posted:

Does your software cure cancer and only run on Win 7? If not, you can give no good reason as to why this is still a thing. It's probably part of some Russian botnet as we speak.

My spare PC that a friend uses to game on when he comes over still runs Win 7. I've tried putting 10 on it twice, both as an upgrade and as a fresh install, and both times I end up with a system that hard locks after random time both in-game and at the desktop. 7 runs fine, but Win10 just hates something in the hardware.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

My company is smaller but still used xp and win 7 until February when we got hacked and held ransom

What on earth... don't they hire a person to make sure poo poo like this doesn't happen?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What on earth... don't they hire a person to make sure poo poo like this doesn't happen?

I guarantee there are surprisingly large companies that have key systems still running on windows 3.1something or other.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

IT is pure overhead that doesn't contribute to the company's ability to generate income in any way shape or form, and what do you mean the entire email server is down thereby torpedoing our productivity, get it fixed yesterday and no you can't upgrade the architecture, you can't expect a budget if you don't contribute to the bottom line.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Skwirl posted:

I guarantee there are surprisingly large companies that have key systems still running on windows 3.1something or other.

Mcdonalds UK's till system and internal network ran on Windows XP until 2018. It now runs on Windows 7. There are a lot of retail systems that still run on OS/2 because it would be massively expensive to move all their records to Windows, hence why some companies make OS/2 compatible operating systems specifically for retail. Windows has always had a shitload of backwards compatibility rules for a reason. Any time ITSC wants to do updates to the till system it means every store has to close for several hours, an actual full bore OS upgrade would likely mean losing an entire day at least and good luck justifying that to the bosses if nothing catastrophic has happened to the system recently.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 13, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're not just "OS/2 compatible", they're literally OS/2 licensed from IBM, rebadged and with updates for modern poo poo.

Also it's not really about the money, it's more that there's no reason to downgrade to Windows.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We do on fact hire someone for this. According to another guy in the IT department the entire thing was because someone switched our firewall but left us without one for two days

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

JustJeff88 posted:

Epic supposedly has an official integration with GOG Galaxy (Uplay, Origin and Steam are community integrations, apparently), but I am not sure what it's in aid of as one still has to install the Epic client to download and install games. That's why I had never tried the Epic launcher before, because I genuinely thought that "official integration" meant that GOG would replace the Epic launcher and I have no desire to have even more annoying gateways than I already do.

GOG Galaxy works well as an aggregator of your game library across platforms, that's why it has integrations for stuff you technically can't play on PC like PSN and Xbox.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I managed a Walgreens up until a couple years ago and despite being one of the largest pharmacy chains in the world that does more satellite traffic than nasa, it still uses dos under everything and store inventory is all done by command prompt.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Canada Post had us replace their POS’ from XP to Windows 7 machines at every post office in the province, 3 months before Windows 7 hit end of life. Never been able to wrap my head around that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Even when you have people hired for this stuff, things can slip past. Last ransomware attack I saw was because a user decided to connect their pc to their phone, because work had blocked a website they wanted to download something from. They then connected back to the network.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

Canada Post had us replace their POS’ from XP to Windows 7 machines at every post office in the province, 3 months before Windows 7 hit end of life. Never been able to wrap my head around that.

I would quip that that explains why Canada Post is so bloody slow, but speed isn't the issue with Windows 7; moreso compatability with very new things.

I was being catty simply because I am a Canadian citizen who lives in the US and, consistently, packages arrive here from the UK/France/Germany/Italy etc than Canada. Granted, I live nowhere close to the border, but I live even farther from Europe.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Xander77 posted:

But... why.

As a fellow lover of 7, I made the switch last year and as long as you tear out a lot of the home calling and stuff like that 10 is actually really nice. It's snappy, it looks p good, i like some of the new functions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zedd posted:

As a fellow lover of 7, I made the switch last year and as long as you tear out a lot of the home calling and stuff like that 10 is actually really nice. It's snappy, it looks p good, i like some of the new functions.
I've spent forever getting Windows 7 to act like XP and I'm reasonably sure none of that will work with 10.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hey, anyone know how to get RealPlayer working on my Windows Vista PC?
I have some .rmvb files I just put on a jaz disk and it's hard enough trying to ignore Bonzi Buddy popping up all the time when I try to open them with Winamp.

Should I try downloading the software with Limewire or Kazaa?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I have some .rmvb files I just put on a jaz disk and it's hard enough trying to ignore Bonzi Buddy popping up all the time when I try to open them with Winamp.

Realplayer should work fine on Vista. Git gud.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zedd posted:

10 is just a better OS. You can make it functionally identical to 7 really easily, if you want to. You probably shouldn't, since a lot of the new stuff is great, but some people are stubborn and can't adapt to change, so here we are.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fuzz posted:

10 is just a better OS. You can make it functionally identical to 7 really easily, if you want to. You probably shouldn't, since a lot of the new stuff is great, but some people are stubborn and can't adapt to change, so here we are.

Look man, sometimes change is a net negative. Like when our company decided to switch everyone to Office 365 web app only because it was cheaper than giving us the outlook programs.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

government contract that''s probably been in various stages of committee and approval for 5-10 years

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

My uncle worked on a very expensive government project for IBM, only to be told a year into the project that what they were developing needed to be compatible with Windows 3.1, not whatever the latest Windows was at the time. This was back in about 2012.

After telling their contact that they'd basically have to start from scratch, they said whatever and doubled the budget of the project.

Oversight only matters when you're starting up and have to care about how much things cost. When the money is flowing and it seems there's no end in sight, it's easy to just say gently caress it, even when it's concerning millions of dollars. It's not a good long term strategy as it lands most companies in positions where they rack up insurmountable debt that not even their insane cash flow can deal with. But modern corporate strategy doesn't care about anything past the next quarter.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 13, 2020

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

Pro tip: That Bonzai is not your “Buddy.” Use Clippy.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
FFS, use Sonique.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

JazzFlight posted:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/UbisoftConnect/status/1338469542612398080

keep an eye on this, it might include a game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

:argh: drat you, for a second i thought it was the game (given the thread)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Rinkles posted:

Claim it, when you get the game free 3 years from now, you'll have this extra treat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rinkles posted:

people would be flipping the gently caress out if the game was given away for free so soon after release

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Is this gonna cost me my email address?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Catzilla posted:

Is this gonna cost me my email address?

New thread title?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They actually did give out a free game today, but uh... it's a little less exciting than Valhalla

https://twitter.com/UbisoftConnect/status/1338831179286540288

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Starlink isn't a bad game at all, but you can probably find the Switch version for under $10 in a clearance bin near you and then you also get a cool Arwing toy.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My friend sent me this. No idea if it's legit or not, though. Seems almost like a wishlist.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, not gonna happen. Those are all (old) AAA games from big studios. There might be a couple, but last year all of them were indie hits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I could imagine maybe one or two from that list as a centerpiece but not all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'll give whoever made that credit for restraint and not putting Cyberpunk 2077 on there.