Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Right but there's a difference in perception between a "war is hell" distraught soldier or demon on a pile of skulls as compared to a soldier standing in front of an Abu Ghraib pile of prisoners. It's not really virtue signaling to say that a model set of swarthy dudes in robes and a chained up naked women is a bad thing, that poo poo has more red flags than a semaphore training class. Come on dude.

Bucnasti posted:

What you have to understand is that this is a hobby that often attracts people who do fetishize these things, and we all work hard to keep call out those people and keep them away.
You might not have know what you were asking, but to this community you just waved a big rea flag.

I didn't think you were virtue signalling, I just didn't understand it was so offensive. I can only apologise again. I am totally embarassed and am going to leave the thread to set up my S&M dungeon so that you can talk about Nurglings in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Chatrapati posted:

I didn't think you were virtue signalling, I just didn't understand it was so offensive. I can only apologise again. I am totally embarassed and am going to leave the thread to set up my S&M dungeon so that you can talk about Nurglings in peace.

Seriously if you don't realize how that set is racist as gently caress you need to go get yourself even a tiny bit of education.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chatrapati posted:

Errors are only really errors if you repeat them. I hope you find a good gift for your friend.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kingdom Death has a gigantic line of freakishly proportioned anime pinup miniatures laser-targeting the horny tabletop gamer demographic so I guess if you are really dead set on buying something for someone who is into that stuff then that's probably better than an Orientalist sex slavery diorama.

But yeah I think overall you're better off just buying your friend something more innocuous.

Edit: I know it probably seems like people are overreacting to you but this hobby is full of fuckin shitheads who absolutely *do* idolize actual Nazis, etc. A big historical miniature manufacturer just got a bunch of pushback for doing a modeling guide on how to create and paint concentration camp scenes, multiple companies have just been flagrantly adding huge swastikas and even white supremacist symbols to their products, on and on. This is compounded by a lot of these people being smart enough to realize that their gross views aren't socially acceptable and trying to constantly hide behind "I'm just depicting history! (but only ever the history of Waffen SS death squads for some reason!)" Gross attitudes towards women are also very common and a lot of people try to stamp that poo poo out when they see it because it makes for a hobby that is extremely offputting and actively hostile to a huge swath of the population and lets all sorts of awful ideas fester.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 11, 2020

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Toebone posted:

This was the set I started with, I'd recommend it.

I've only ever used the Vallejo model color metallics, so now I'm thinking I need to try out some from GW. Any in particular stand out?

Vallejo model air metallics are amazing, though they don't have a great dull steel. I use Vallejo mecha air steel and dark steel for that. Model air metallics are universally good through a brush or airbrush, but too thin to drybrush. The model color and game color metals are a bit sporadic. Some are great(hammered copper), but a lot aren't. Game air metallics have all been useless to brush on for me but fine through an airbrush.

Many of the citadel ones are pretty great too, as has been said before.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bucnasti posted:

What you have to understand is that this is a hobby that often attracts people who do fetishize these things, and we all work hard to keep call out those people and keep them away.
You might not have know what you were asking, but to this community you just waved a big rea flag.

Really driving the point home for christmas.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

tangy yet delightful posted:

Here's my 3 year old's paint jobs so far on minis, enjoyed seeing ya'lls so I figured I'd post my own.

ed: click for big, I gotta figure out my imgur blockers again

You know, those are all pretty good color schemes for army men.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd definitely be worried about what kind of image I'm projecting if someone got me a sex slavery mini vignette for Christmas. Orientalism/Harem certainly was an art genre for awhile, but not really one I'd want to display in my living room.

There's an absolute shitton of pinup minis out there that aren't nearly that fraught.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Anyway that was a weird derail, here's a cool human I painted for Blood Bowl

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Anyway that was a weird derail, here's a cool human I painted for Blood Bowl

Hell yeah. What's the gold color and how'd you do the base?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've been using Army Painter Gunmetal instead of GW Leadbelcher and I really like it. Has a lot of the same characteristics but is maybe just a little bit brighter. Black Templar contrast over Gunmetal has become my standard for painting guns.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I find most metallics too bright. My go-to is Scale75 black metal or VMA black metal, highlighted with GW runefang steel or VMA steel.

Funzo posted:

Black Templar contrast over Gunmetal has become my standard for painting guns.
This sounds like a superb alternative though!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Funzo posted:

I've been using Army Painter Gunmetal instead of GW Leadbelcher and I really like it. Has a lot of the same characteristics but is maybe just a little bit brighter. Black Templar contrast over Gunmetal has become my standard for painting guns.

i gotta try this

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Another muzzle flash termie done

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Geisladisk posted:

Another muzzle flash termie done

Think this is your best one yet, that soft blue light from the sword really sets it off.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yeah. What's the gold color and how'd you do the base?

Retributor Armor with an Agrax Earthshade wash. It's my favorite gold metallic combo because it pops but it's not garish

The base is just GW Astrogranite texture paint dry brushed with Screaming Skull

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Thoogsby posted:

My friend made me the coolest nurglings of all time with my spare plaugebearer poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4NQF1vHik

Those are some rad nurglings, but your friend was rather hard to hear at some points with the music drowning him out a bit

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend gave me the figurine that was bundled with Warhammer Online years ago, which is great because I had sold mine before I got into the hobby ; and also because it's my first metal mini. I really like it.

Here's where I'm at - I tend to do all my base colors first, then the layering/highlights/weathering. I think I'm okay with the dark blue/metal/red combo.

But I have two questions:

1) Should I make the cloak more brown (maybe start over)? I'm not sure because as it stands it's basically the only area of the mini with grey/white, whereas there's already quite a bit of brown from all the leather and straps. Would it make the mini more coherent to stick to similar colors?
2) I don't know what to do with the Goblin on his shoulder. Should I try to keep the same color range, or go for something different (so as to draw the eye to there) ? Or maybe the same blue/red base, just brighter? Should I make his skin lighter than the Ork's?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Furism posted:

A friend gave me the figurine that was bundled with Warhammer Online years ago, which is great because I had sold mine before I got into the hobby ; and also because it's my first metal mini. I really like it.

Here's where I'm at - I tend to do all my base colors first, then the layering/highlights/weathering. I think I'm okay with the dark blue/metal/red combo.

But I have two questions:

1) Should I make the cloak more brown (maybe start over)? I'm not sure because as it stands it's basically the only area of the mini with grey/white, whereas there's already quite a bit of brown from all the leather and straps. Would it make the mini more coherent to stick to similar colors?
2) I don't know what to do with the Goblin on his shoulder. Should I try to keep the same color range, or go for something different (so as to draw the eye to there) ? Or maybe the same blue/red base, just brighter? Should I make his skin lighter than the Ork's?

1. I think making the cloak brown would make the figure too muddy. You have a lot of bold contrasting colors, and I think the white works for that. Perhaps push the contrast on the cloak more, brighter highlights and darker shadows? Or maybe some black tiger stripes.

2. I would keep base red/blue the same, maybe lighter skin color.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I agree, the lighter grey of the cloak looks good against the rest of the colors. I think similar clothes/armor but a lighter skintone on the goblin is the way to go.
The muzzle flash illuminated guys look fantastic, that's a super cool effect.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I forgot to shake up some Vallejo game color black before loading it into my airbrush, and I’ve got about ten minis that are either really glossy or really matte. I actually don’t mind the glossy ones, but the matte bothers me. I was using pretty thin layers. Do you think I can just fix it with one more layer of actually mixed paint?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Or a layer of gloss varnish.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Does anyone else dislike nuln oil? It’s so thin. The dark wash from AP is much more usable, but black Templar with some contrast medium is the best of both worlds imo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If Nuln Oil was any thicker you'd have way more My Grimdark Chapter Scheme videos

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ambien shopping lead me to this point

i guess i have a nice paintbrush now

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've had one for years and still use it. It's a great brush.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bucnasti posted:

I use badgers regdab, or hoppes gun oil, but I don’t see why any light machine oil like 3 in 1 wouldn’t work fine.

Would something like WD40 work? I have no idea if there are different kinds of oil/lubes :(

Dienes posted:

1. I think making the cloak brown would make the figure too muddy. You have a lot of bold contrasting colors, and I think the white works for that. Perhaps push the contrast on the cloak more, brighter highlights and darker shadows? Or maybe some black tiger stripes.
2. I would keep base red/blue the same, maybe lighter skin color.

nostrata posted:

I agree, the lighter grey of the cloak looks good against the rest of the colors. I think similar clothes/armor but a lighter skintone on the goblin is the way to go.

Yes I haven't put any highlights yet so there will be better contrast! For now I just lay some wash on the cloak. I'll dry brush it to improve the effect. I think black tiger stripes would be difficult because of all the hair threads on the cloak - when I look at reference picture for white tiger with black stripes, it's always very short fur. I love the idea but I think it might look weird.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Furism posted:

Would something like WD40 work? I have no idea if there are different kinds of oil/lubes :(

NO!

WD-40 is not really a lubricant, or at best you could say lubricating is only a small part of it's function. It's a water-displacement fluid, primarily for degreasing, rust removal, and as a solvent. The fact that it sort of lubricates is a by-product of it's main functions, and if the fluid is left in confined crevices, with eventually gum up and be worse than if you hadn't used it in the first place.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Furism posted:

3 in 1 Oil is a brand name for a general purpose lubricating oil; it's dirt cheap and you can buy it pretty much anywhere that sells tools/household stuff. Grab a bottle, it's useful for so many things.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

NO!

WD-40 is not really a lubricant, or at best you could say lubricating is only a small part of it's function. It's a water-displacement fluid, primarily for degreasing, rust removal, and as a solvent. The fact that it sort of lubricates is a by-product of it's main functions, and if the fluid is left in confined crevices, with eventually gum up and be worse than if you hadn't used it in the first place.

Toebone posted:

3 in 1 Oil is a brand name for a general purpose lubricating oil; it's dirt cheap and you can buy it pretty much anywhere that sells tools/household stuff. Grab a bottle, it's useful for so many things.

Oh wow, thanks! I've been using WD40 to lubricate the hinges on all of my doors for years. Not at all the intended use apparently!

I don't think "3 in 1" exists where I live, it's probably a different brand. But now I know what I'm looking for it should be no problem. Thanks Goons!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Furism posted:

Oh wow, thanks! I've been using WD40 to lubricate the hinges on all of my doors for years. Not at all the intended use apparently!

When it's stuck use WD40, when it squeals use machine oil.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread. Finally finished off my Oathsworn Dwarfs (not do dig out the Halflings and random adventurers I have from them...)

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Completed!

My take on SLAMBO! Resplendent in glossy purple armour adorned with a Chaos Glyph, fresh from the kill. Claiming Season's Beatings for the gory axes, and Daily Double for the shiny armour and freehand symbol. (April and March)

King Ranulf Firebeard, borne atop the mighty warshield of his clan by Old Hengus. Alongside stands Bjorn Drakeslayer, captain of the Stone Guard, horribly scarred by the flames of the drake he fought to earn his honour name, Bjorn never leaves his fully enclosed armour.

Kiril and Karil Bjornisson, aka the Thunder Twins. Inducted into the Stone Guard at an early age by their father Bjorn, the two have trained alongside each other since they were old enough to wield a hammer. The two operate with an uncanny precision, almost as one being, and have an unnerving habit of finishing each others sentences.

Claiming Stay a while and listen for the backstories.

Bonus group shot of all my Oathsworn Dwarfs together (minus the McFiggin Brewers).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are there any pigment fixative techniques / products that don't just completely obliterate the effect of pigments? I want to use some on minis meant for gaming but any form of varnish just wets it down so much that it looks like drybrushed paint. Do I just have to do it after the varnish is dry and hope it doesn't eventually all fall off?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are there any pigment fixative techniques / products that don't just completely obliterate the effect of pigments? I want to use some on minis meant for gaming but any form of varnish just wets it down so much that it looks like drybrushed paint. Do I just have to do it after the varnish is dry and hope it doesn't eventually all fall off?

So the answer is "not what you'd want", sorry.
However, pigment affixer sprayed lightly (literally just enough to cover) over an area, given 3 minutes to set a bit then drybrush to half what you'd want, wait three more minutes then dry brush pigments against is the best I've found.
It's better than the static cling you'd get natively with pigments alone, but doesn't look exactly the same. But you know, if you don't want stuff coming off like crazy on your fingers with handling (but tbf it will a little) it's the best middle ground I've found.

Pigments suck and aren't made for playing pieces, they're better suited for dioramas IMHO.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Just wanted to say thanks to the thread for the paint advice. I've already finished some dwaves; they're not perfect, but I'm really pleased with them.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Funzo posted:

Yeah, when I first started painting I got an Army Painter starter set with plate mail in it, and really liked it. As I've been painting I've mostly been buying GW paints, and I really like how the AP platemail covers better than leadblecher or like retributor armor, so I actually bought the AP metallic paint set from my FLGS a couple weeks ago so I have their regular metallic paint line. I also have their whole wash line as well.

I prefer GW paints, especially base paints, over the non-metallic AP stuff though. Seems the coverage or pigment is kind of meh.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So the answer is "not what you'd want", sorry.
However, pigment affixer sprayed lightly (literally just enough to cover) over an area, given 3 minutes to set a bit then drybrush to half what you'd want, wait three more minutes then dry brush pigments against is the best I've found.
It's better than the static cling you'd get natively with pigments alone, but doesn't look exactly the same. But you know, if you don't want stuff coming off like crazy on your fingers with handling (but tbf it will a little) it's the best middle ground I've found.

Pigments suck and aren't made for playing pieces, they're better suited for dioramas IMHO.

I'll give that a try, thanks! Better than nothing I suppose. I really love the dusty look they give to bases and nothing else comes close to replicating it, but yeah might just have to accept that it's not gonna work for gaming pieces.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the pigment fixer from Secret Weapon (there are probably other brands selling the same thing) does a good job of maintaining the dusty look. Any sort of fixer is going to alter the look a bit but I find that stuff to give a much better result than varnish.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Felime posted:

Vallejo model air metallics are amazing, though they don't have a great dull steel. I use Vallejo mecha air steel and dark steel for that. Model air metallics are universally good through a brush or airbrush, but too thin to drybrush. The model color and game color metals are a bit sporadic. Some are great(hammered copper), but a lot aren't. Game air metallics have all been useless to brush on for me but fine through an airbrush.

Many of the citadel ones are pretty great too, as has been said before.

Welp. I was lamenting to a friend that Vallejo metal color was all sold out because of supply issues, and they thought they spotted some at their local game store and grabbed them for me and they all turned out to be Vallejo air metallics. I was wondering how good they were compared to metal color. Problem is I don't have an airbrush.

That being said I have a big bottle of proper Metal color aluminum and this should push me to experiment with mixing my own gold/copper/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I assume the OP post on airbrushes is mostly up to date? Doesn't seem like a field that has gone through massive upheavals during the past few years, unless some new recommended stuff has popped up recently? Mostly thinking about getting in to airbrushing mostly for the sake of winter priming, so I'm looking at the entry level options.