Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tippis posted:

The main cause would probably be an acute lack of :ese:
Or possibly a pressing need for some abduction and demands to give up claims…

Trevor Hale posted:

Motherfuckers don’t know their place

The problem isn't that these factions form. But three one-man factions were created, each dedicated to putting the same claimant on the throne of the same Duchy. If they banded together, they would have almost reached the 80% threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maybe they hate each other?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Trevor Hale posted:

I want to see a faction form, and I hit a button that is essentially “gently caress around and find out”

Didn't this used to be a thing that your spymaster did in CK2? Sometimes with bribery, sometimes with threats?

They wait until you're vulnerable because that's just a sensible strategy for them. You gotta keep an eye on factions if you want to go to war, that is one of the main goals of the game.

However, I do think you should have some way of... Provoking someone into acting when it's not advantageous. Like, if the faction leader is impatient or wroth, you should be able to goad them early. But if they're patient or diligent, then fat chance of that, you won't get declared on until you're in no position to stop them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like it how it is. You either have to be a tyrant and just deal with them, or you have to wait for them to do something illegal like revolting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah being able to stomp on factions at will would be stupid as hell. Noble factions can be provoked already as it is; peasants are a bit more annoying but they're also pretty easy to stomp into the dirt with left over levies.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There used to be the old “antagonise” action, which wasn't a sure-fire anything — it was a classic CK2 RNG tombola of outcomes — but it was still useful for exactly that: making someone do rash things when they weren't really ready for it. Maybe you weren't either once something kicked off, but at least it wasn't as completely one-sided as the factionalism is.

I suppose you can still kind of get some control back by just being a tyrannical rear end and make sure all the hostilities kick off right this second, but it's just so… inelegant.

Oh, and at the flip-side of the coin, I kind of wish that there were more incentives to actually belong to factions or otherwise do something for someone else's benefit. Things like the ability to create post-war alliances — perhaps not automatically, like with marriages, but just being allowed to propose them at all would be nice. Same thing with beneficiaries of GHWs: I gave you a holy kingdom, maybe show some appreciation and willingness to cooperate? Just maybe? Hmm…?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 11, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish I could sit down and have a conversation with people in this game. Or at least have the Civ-type trade window. I like this vassal who has a bumfuck County in my capital duchy. I wish I could tell him "I'm going to give you a nice title over here and make you a Duke, just give me this county here, it's win-win". Instead I have to take his land and hope he doesn't make me crush him.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Tender Bender posted:

I wish I could sit down and have a conversation with people in this game. Or at least have the Civ-type trade window. I like this vassal who has a bumfuck County in my capital duchy. I wish I could tell him "I'm going to give you a nice title over here and make you a Duke, just give me this county here, it's win-win". Instead I have to take his land and hope he doesn't make me crush him.

I’ve messed around with the timing of gifting and retracting titles. Retracting and then immediately gifting is nice but it truly only works if you have the hook on them first

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve messed around with the timing of gifting and retracting titles. Retracting and then immediately gifting is nice but it truly only works if you have the hook on them first

Yeah, it looks tricky. Does gifting and then retracting work? Or does the power/confidence they gain outweigh the happiness they get from your gift?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, it looks tricky. Does gifting and then retracting work? Or does the power/confidence they gain outweigh the happiness they get from your gift?

There might be an issue with elevating them up to duke before messing with them? You’ve made them more powerful by gifting another county + duchy and now they might be more hesitant to give up their old title

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

There might be an issue with elevating them up to duke before messing with them? You’ve made them more powerful by gifting another county + duchy and now they might be more hesitant to give up their old title

That's fair. I get it and I don't. I'm sure that not having that fine control over things is actually good in the long run as far as game balance.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tender Bender posted:

Same with giving a faction leader a nice title if they would be so kind and disperse their angry mob.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'd love that to get rid of border gore.

"Hey neighboring king, take these 2 disconnected counties and give me this one sitting in the middle of my realm."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It really would make everyone so happy!

I was trying to kill this dude and learned that one of his courtiers is a cannibal, but she left his court and is now just wandering around. Not sure how to use this strong hook now. Can I use it to invite her to be my courtier, then marry her into a target's court so she'll go there, and make her an agent in a scheme?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I was trying to kill this dude and learned that one of his courtiers is a cannibal, but she left his court and is now just wandering around. Not sure how to use this strong hook now. Can I use it to invite her to be my courtier, then marry her into a target's court so she'll go there, and make her an agent in a scheme?

Theoretically that would work, but only if she moves to his court; a fair chunk of the time when I'm trying to marry off an unwanted courtier like that, the husband moves to my court instead.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gotcha, thanks.

Related question, why would my spymaster expose a secret? I had him investigating a rival's court and we learned their bishop had a lover, giving me secrets on both of them. I didn't blackmail or expose them because I was waiting till I was ready to use any hook. Then I got a notification that my spymaster had exposed their secret. Why would he do that???

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tender Bender posted:

Gotcha, thanks.

Related question, why would my spymaster expose a secret? I had him investigating a rival's court and we learned their bishop had a lover, giving me secrets on both of them. I didn't blackmail or expose them because I was waiting till I was ready to use any hook. Then I got a notification that my spymaster had exposed their secret. Why would he do that???

I'd guess that your spymaster attempted to blackmail your rival's bishop himself, and the bishop refused to play ball.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Ugh, so becoming the Greatest of Khans and forming the Mongol Empire is barely worth it. Sure, you get a shitton of event troops and an extremely powerful CB... but it looks like territories do NOT de jure drift into the Mongol Empire title. On top of that, every little tribal chief keeps swearing fealty to me without me asking for it, including folks of religions that consider Tengri evil. I keep having to kick vassals out by Grant Independence because they send me shooting over my vassal limit. Suddenly I'm making half of the money I should and I can only field half the levies because these little babies keep crawling back to me. Even worse, it doesn't seem like they wait an appreciable amount of time before forming or joining a big Independence faction against me. The net effect is I'm attracting all this dead weight which gives extra power to the Independence faction which might peel away some of the vassals I actually WANT to keep.

poo poo sucks.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying to breed an heir with good traits so I can do the bloodline thing, but the daughters I want to keep around keep wanting to leave court. Even though they have +100 opinion of me and have a place in the dynasty with heirs not too far down the line.

Any way to keep them around other than a council position or landing them?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Neurion posted:

Ugh, so becoming the Greatest of Khans and forming the Mongol Empire is barely worth it. Sure, you get a shitton of event troops and an extremely powerful CB... but it looks like territories do NOT de jure drift into the Mongol Empire title. On top of that, every little tribal chief keeps swearing fealty to me without me asking for it, including folks of religions that consider Tengri evil. I keep having to kick vassals out by Grant Independence because they send me shooting over my vassal limit. Suddenly I'm making half of the money I should and I can only field half the levies because these little babies keep crawling back to me. Even worse, it doesn't seem like they wait an appreciable amount of time before forming or joining a big Independence faction against me. The net effect is I'm attracting all this dead weight which gives extra power to the Independence faction which might peel away some of the vassals I actually WANT to keep.

poo poo sucks.

I believe a kingdom title can dejure drift into your empire if you have all of its dejure counties, but that can be tough to meet the requirements for. It works for the Roman Empire title anyway. afaik duchies/counties will not individually dejure drift. If you're having trouble keeping under the vassal limit you probably need to make some vassal kings.

Midgetskydiver posted:

So I'm trying to breed an heir with good traits so I can do the bloodline thing, but the daughters I want to keep around keep wanting to leave court. Even though they have +100 opinion of me and have a place in the dynasty with heirs not too far down the line.

Any way to keep them around other than a council position or landing them?

They won't leave if they are your court physician or a knight, I believe. But you need to give them something tangible "to do" or else they will leave.

Marrying them to your knights should also work, if your religion doesn't allow for female knights. Of course that would probably interfere with your breeding plans.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 14, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't realize the mystic treatment could make you a cannibal. I didn't even lose the disease, just got no symptoms for 5 years.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If you marry your daughters matrilineally I believe they stick around at your court

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just marry your daughters yourself just to be sure.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

I didn't realize the mystic treatment could make you a cannibal. I didn't even lose the disease, just got no symptoms for 5 years.

Mystic treatment is basically the big "let's roll the dice" option, even moreso than experimental. It's what you pick when you want something fun to happen.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

A Typical Goon posted:

If you marry your daughters matrilineally I believe they stick around at your court

Can confirm that at least for me, this was not the case. I matrilineally married a genius daughter to a herculean rando hoping to get 1 or 2 kids in my court with both. She threatened to leave so I had to make her physician, even though her learning was lower than the previous doc.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Make hubbie a knight and then never take him to battle.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Make them someone’s tutor

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Great suggestions, thanks chums!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

Always surprised to see that others don’t make a beeline for Iceland in an English game. I like giving it to a brother and just letting him live in peace

A reason I haven't in my game is because it's held by Denmark and to take it I can't simply invade and hold Iceland, but for some dumb reason I have to conquer other territories in Denmark too. Too much effort!

I think the patch may have addressed this somewhat? Adding some war timer to ones' benefit for holding territory? So maybe I could try it.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I really like cadet houses. It's fun to be able to efficiently look through the family tree to find out that *this* fucko is descended from the branch of your family that was once Kings of Ireland while the main branch migrated to Bulgaria and became Roman Emperors. And *that* fucko is descended from the Kings of Brittany whose ancestors I helped invade Italy only for this failson to be, like the count of Tours or some poo poo.

But everything else is still better in CKII. They really need to work on colorblind options for CKIII (there were some mods but most are out of date right now) and the whole "only siege baronies for war points" has me zooming in and squinting. I also really miss Merchant Republics. They had a lot of faults and weren't "good" but having some members of your family be patricians and following them (ideally with the cadet option) would be a lot of fun.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Assassins Creed Valhalla made me play as Ivar the Boneless. And what do you know, he has a special event for capturing king Ælla of Northumbria. You can Blood Eagle him for killing your pa Ragnar. And Ivar is not even a recommended character from what I remember.

But really I don't like events like this in CK game. Predefined events about historical things like invasions and big new developments. Things like this revenge should be reactive and generic. And what do I know, maybe they are? Maybe I'd get the same event when I capture anyone who killed anyone in my close family if I'm vengeful?..

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

VinylonUnderground posted:

But everything else is still better in CKII. They really need to work on colorblind options for CKIII (there were some mods but most are out of date right now) and the whole "only siege baronies for war points" has me zooming in and squinting. I also really miss Merchant Republics. They had a lot of faults and weren't "good" but having some members of your family be patricians and following them (ideally with the cadet option) would be a lot of fun.

That's a bold claim. I get that CK2 had a lot more flavor, but the gameplay itself is night and day. From day 1 CK2 felt like a mod for some other game where characters weren't anywhere as important as they are in CK2. With time it only got worse with some concessions like decisions list (arguably one of the most important parts of the UI) was allowed to be 10% of the UI instead of 3%. And in terms of characters 3D models are so much better than countries consisting of the same dude with different mustaches and hair.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like the 3d models, but I don't like that every event (so far that I can tell) is just the 3d models standing in a kind of pocket dimension. That's not unique to Ck3 though, everything that turns to detailed 3d models just uses them in everything in lieu of nice art.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean the new models really help with remembering characters, and character building/interaction is generally better than in CK2. But that's all I would say is better. War is a complete ugly mess that's much better done in CK2. Same with things like provinces and building and special buildings and the like. Religions have more flavour, I thought making my own heresy would be neat, but as of right now it really doesn't matter what religion you are. But as an overall game I've gone back to CK2 and find it much more enjoyable of an experience on the whole than CK3 is, largely because of how bad war is in CK3.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Couldn't disagree more, warfare is much, much better in CK3--which is to say it's quicker and easier, since I want the war to be over as quickly as possible so I can move on. Something like 95%+ of time in either CK2/3 when I declare war I know beforehand that I'm going to win in such an overwhelming fashion that we're essentially going through the motions in even having the war, so let's just get on with it. The combat itself is also less opaque so I have a better sense of how to effectively build armies, and I feel like I'm more "in control" as it were. I also like that there are fewer buildings in CK3, so the decisions feel more impactful--I've always been a fan of mutually exclusive options when it comes to larger strategy games.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The only thing that bugs me about the way war is handled is that if the enemy wants to evade you forever they effectively can, but that just means you need an overwhelming force composed of multiple armies in order to win a war quickly, which is pretty realistic if annoying.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

As an addendum to my previous post; there's certainly a lot about war in CK3 that could be improved, but as compared to CK2 it's a big step up. I'm certainly glad they patched the ability to raise all of your armies in one big stack back in.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 15, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Santa's into concubinage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB4-6Yv1xoU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Magil Zeal posted:

Couldn't disagree more, warfare is much, much better in CK3--which is to say it's quicker and easier, since I want the war to be over as quickly as possible so I can move on. Something like 95%+ of time in either CK2/3 when I declare war I know beforehand that I'm going to win in such an overwhelming fashion that we're essentially going through the motions in even having the war, so let's just get on with it. The combat itself is also less opaque so I have a better sense of how to effectively build armies, and I feel like I'm more "in control" as it were. I also like that there are fewer buildings in CK3, so the decisions feel more impactful--I've always been a fan of mutually exclusive options when it comes to larger strategy games.

I feel the exact opposite. I think siege weapons do weird things to siege timers, where it's too fast with them, but way too slow without, while CK2 sieges were evenly paced, better than EU4's. I mean I guess if you just want it to be fast, fine, but I think a lot is lost in the translation. I actually feel less in control of an actual army because I'm just stacking one ungodly powerful thing. Also they can teleport instantly and ignore the map. And knights just feel like superheroes in a weird way. I will agree that CK2 is opaque but...I liked that? It felt neat that different cultures had different tactics and weighting and I liked that retinues just played into levies instead of replacing them. (unless you were suitably large) And I guess I never enjoyed mutual exclusivity, I want to build all the things. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like that war is over quickly but as a neophyte it's very opaque and I'm never quite sure if I'm reading it correctly, which is in line with much of the game's information. Besides levy counts and MAA counts I'm not really sure why I won or lost a battle to the degree that I did, is it because of my knights, the war leaders, the terrain, did someone cross a river, etc. I fully believe that information IS all ingame and presented to me, I'm just not sure how to find and read it. And it's the less interesting part of the game so I'd rather just do what I need and then get back to the other stuff.