Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I prefer the implication being that she just stays home and doesn't do anything because she doesn't care about the war in any capacity without Byleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellioning posted:

I prefer the implication being that she just stays home and doesn't do anything because she doesn't care about the war in any capacity without Byleth.

This is basically the same thing with Raphael. IIRC, he doesn't participate w/o Byleth either.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

This is basically the same thing with Raphael. IIRC, he doesn't participate w/o Byleth either.

Raphael shows up with Claude in Gronder on AM. He doesn't show up in CF, along with Marianne and Lorenz.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Marianne as a character has really grown on me. Her change in character from pre to post time skip is significant, but still feels natural. I think she's one of the better written characters in the game.

I saw her mid-game tower conversation recently too, and it's adorable.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Why is the game/story considered better if you leave students unrecruited? I've felt like it's my duty to recruit as many as I can so they don't die later, in the grand FE tradition of trying not to let anyone die..

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lakitu7 posted:

Why is the game/story considered better if you leave students unrecruited? I've felt like it's my duty to recruit as many as I can so they don't die later, in the grand FE tradition of trying not to let anyone die..

Because then you can see how your students react when forced to fight their friends.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Hunt11 posted:

Because then you can see how your students react when forced to fight their friends.

Is that different/better than seeing how your recruits react when they're forced to fight their friends?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you don't get any of that, really. if you recruit as many people as possible then the people you recruit just sit in your base not really getting any dialogue. if you only recruit a couple people, then you people you recruit react when they fight the people you didn't recruit.

as for the game, the management/tutoring system, and deployment limits, mean you can only really field and train 12-14 people max. anymore than that and you're just creating more people to ignore in menus but who will bug you randomly during classes when you don't care what they do, because you're not using them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like trying to get conversations of people killing their family or close friends. Like CF seeing what Gilbert and Annette say to each other in the last mission or also CF what Felix and Rodrigue say to each other.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I meanwhile am a coward and collect every one of my precious war children and will not let anything bad happen to then. CF is the route to do so because the payoff of seeing everyone choose to fight for you is cool imo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mastajake posted:

I like trying to get conversations of people killing their family or close friends. Like CF seeing what Gilbert and Annette say to each other in the last mission or also CF what Felix and Rodrigue say to each other.

It's kind of crap that Manuela and Hanneman don't have unique dialogue if they fight at the Silver Maiden. :colbert:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah the point isn't that you have only two binary choices, recruit no one or recruit everyone, and the former is the correct choice. If you do the latter though you loose out on most of the friends fighting their former friends but there's a varying degree of middle choice where you can recruit certain combinations of people but leave others. Its also ultimately fine to inevitably do a recruit everyone run or whatever but a lot of people recommend you follow this advice because its good to at least sort've experience the punch of this whole exclassmates fighting each other in a war thing at least once.

There's of course actual mechanical dynamics at play as well. 3Houses isn't a game where you get lots of units spread out over the game, the characters you recruit early kinda snowball and you end up with limited deployment slots even if you eventually get a slight few more + additional adjutaunt slots. It makes most sense to feed training and resources into your core team and if you "over" recruit youll end up with a lot of benchwarmers who, unlike other games, dont really serve to come in later as replacements. Divine Pulse also gives you lots of leeway to not letting people die in the first place. In turn however recruiting people does give you acccess to lots more paralogues which can provide excess resources and training as well to offset overexplanding your team, or just further feed into your core team. There's not a strict answer about which is more correct over all but its definitly less of a distraction on your first run or two when you're still figuring the game's mechanics out.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Yeah, from a gameplay and a story perspective, I prefer to not recruit too many students.

Gameplay-wise, the game doesn't reward you for spreading resources too thin, so like people said above, it doesn't really make sense to have more than 12 or so units.

And story-wise, it feels like a major theme of the story is that war sucks, and no one really 100% wins because war is innately tragic and people who fight in war could have been friends under different circumstances. So having to fight against former classmates/students makes the story more compelling in my opinion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My first game I didn't recruit anyone, because I didn't think to raise social links with anyone I couldn't use in battle, and just figured my stats / whatever would be enough to bring them over.

My second game I recruited everyone but Lorenz because I have my limits.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Shame, Lorenz has one of the best relics in the game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, the message "war sucks" is pretty blatant even without the student deaths if you're paying any attention whatsoever to background events. There's also the issue that a number of events just seemed forced in the first place, and various students have VERY flimsy reasons for sticking with you... or alternatively being willing to die for their original faction.

For example, Gronder Field on AM (or VW to an extent). As presented, the forced fight with GD - and thus having to kill unrecruited students - is hilariously dumb. For VW it's somewhat more feasible given Dimitri's issues, but even there how it's presented is just... poor (especially given the reinforcements). Ingrid or Annette, particularly Ingrid on CF, are another example where them being willing to kill their former friends for you comes off as very dubious.

The latter point at least probably could have been addressed a bit better just by actually having returning students from other houses have some sort of scene or accessible dialogue explaining them coming back.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Shame, Lorenz has one of the best relics in the game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

My first game I didn't recruit anyone, because I didn't think to raise social links with anyone I couldn't use in battle, and just figured my stats / whatever would be enough to bring them over.

Lorenz gets better after the timeskip, his A(+?) rank with Marianne is actually really sweet, but yeah, completely understandable.

My first run I did VW and recruited everyone but Ferdinand and Caspar cause I couldn't get my stats or their supports high enough. Worked out because Dorothea reacting after Myrddin is heartbreaking.

My AM run I recruited a lot of people but not everyone, was just trying to fill out supports with the Blue Lions students.

For CF, I went with students who I thought made sense, like Lorenz's family sides with the Empire when he's not recruited in AM, and there are a bunch of students who would have issues with Crests.

Eventually I plan to do a SS run and a final VW run. SS to finish out some supports and VW with any remaining supports and/or my favorite units.

This is the best.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
My love for Lorenz's support chain with Marianne knows no bounds. Its actually really sweet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I did the same thing on my first game.

Lorenz is probably the character with the biggest gap in character growth across their social links. (Maybe Marianne.)

It is kind of a shame. He's actually the best mixed attacker in the game, but (especially on Maddening) being good at everything late game, instead of doing one or two things extremely well, is more a hinderance than a boon.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
One of the fun things about Thyrsus is you can trade it around.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Depending on how you define growth, Dorothea as well. Bernadetta counts, but only for CW.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Going to jump on the Lorenz train. A lot of his supports start out with him being an unlikable pompous shitwad, but a few of them are really good.

He has a talent for seeing peoples' potential, and once he sees them not living up to it, he resolves to drag that potential to the surface kicking and screaming if he has to - like when he sees Ignatz resigned to giving up his painting to focus on knighthood, Lorenz decides "Nope, you're gonna come be a Knight for me, and I'm going to make USE of that painting talent, too!"

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Random wild thing that a lot of people might not notice, Lorenz and Caspar are voiced by the same person.

So are Dorothea and Shamir, but I think that one is easier to hear.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1325342871029907457 click here to experience joy

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I recruit everyone because I like talking to people in the academy section each month and that's way more dialogue than not recruiting some people.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Epi Lepi posted:

Random wild thing that a lot of people might not notice, Lorenz and Caspar are voiced by the same person.

I knew about Dorothea and Shamir, but I didn't know about Lorenz and Caspar.

I noticed pretty early on that Lorenz and Yuri share the same character model since they both have the hand-at-face stance all the time, but recently I've been noticing it with other characters, and the funniest one I've noticed is that Leonie and Edelgard share the same model. So now I find myself in my current Golden Deer playthrough imagining Edelgard reading all of Leonie's lines, and it's a little ridiculous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All the animations are reused.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Everyone has an animation skeleton. Edelgard, Leonie, Shamir all have their hand on hip. Bernadetta, Dorothea and Hilda have the hands clasped in front of them. Ingrid has her hands just at her side. There are a couple generic NPCs that had Lorenz's otherwise unique hand in front of face pose.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Epi Lepi posted:

I did not notice that Lorenz and Caspar were the same but I did notice that Caspar is voiced by the guy who did the voice of Kensuke in the Netflix NGE dub, which I thought was kinda funny because they have similar energies (kinda short very enthusiastic) but very different skillsets

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Caspar has the same voice actor as Saizo.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Okay, four months into my Golden Deer run, and I have this to say - Lorenz is not the worst, but he's close. Ignatz needs to be protected. Lysithea is an absolute beast. Claude is way too laid back. Raphael gets no respect.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
There's a huge amount of voice actor crossover with 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, and Christian LaMonte (Ignatz) did the voice direction. It's great. The Gatekeeper is particularly good as Sekigahara, and Allegra Clark (Dorothea/Shamir) does a great job as Fuyusaka. Ferdinand, Caspar and Dedue are Ogata, Shiba and Gouto, doing the exact same voices, it's fun to hear Ferdie's voice coming out of an pompadoured 80s delinquent. Erica Mendez (Bernie) is fantastic as Minami, and there's a solid reason they got Chris Hackney (Dimitri) to be Juro. My unexpected favourite performance so far is Male Byleth (the replacement non-creep one, Zach Aguilar) as Miura.

Usually I'd go with the Japanese voice track for games like this but I couldn't resist the english because of the cast, no regrets at all (not finished yet!).

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, four months into my Golden Deer run, and I have this to say - Lorenz is not the worst, but he's close. Ignatz needs to be protected. Lysithea is an absolute beast. Claude is way too laid back. Raphael gets no respect.

Lorenz is a pompous noble jerk, but he genuinely believes in what he preaches; he's not just about "I'm better than you"; he admittedly basically does, but he also firmly believes in the responsibility his position as Nobility places upon him, and genuinely wants to use the position and responsibility to help the "lower class" however he can, so as far as "nobles are dicks" goes, you can definitely do worse than Lorenz.

Ignatz and Marianne are both good examples of Lorenz having a talent for bringing out the best in people; with Marianne, he starts off by showing not just a tolerance for her aversion to conversation, but having an appreciation for her simply quiet presence, and then goes from there to being determined to convince her that she's better than she believes herself to be.

With Ignatz, it's like I said up above; he sees Ignatz prepared to give up painting in order to become a Knight, and decides "THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE" and decides to take Ignatz on as his Knight, being of a noble house and thus in a position to do so, with a resolution that "You will keep painting, good sir!"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 15, 2020

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
You donīt even need to be on Golden Deer runb or recruit him or see his supports to see that Lorenz has so much good in him.

If you talk to him during the monastery section you can see it, so him being so hated is just weird to me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

His supports with Byleth are all about him harassing the women in school. It's supposed to be for comedic effect, "Oh no he keeps inviting them to fancy dinner parties they don't like" but Byleth's reaction and well general culture, it's very easy to peg him as a serial harasser/incel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

His supports with Byleth are all about him harassing the women in school. It's supposed to be for comedic effect, "Oh no he keeps inviting them to fancy dinner parties they don't like" but Byleth's reaction and well general culture, it's very easy to peg him as a serial harasser/incel.
i mean... no? its a bad thing to do but byleth tells him to stop doing it and he stops doing it and realizes it was a bad thing to do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lorenz has the worst haircut in the universe and never fails to give a bad first impression, which serves the important purpose of making it enjoyable and satisfying to watch him get over himself and learn to show the empathy that nicely complements the strong principles and generous spirit he always had. That's why he has surpassed all the competition to win my vote for Upper-Class Twit of the Year

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean... no? its a bad thing to do but byleth tells him to stop doing it and he stops doing it and realizes it was a bad thing to do.

I mean he isn't that but it's very easy to get that impression of him if you just do the first two supports and forget about him, which probably leads to at least some people disliking him. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/fe_translate/status/1339044540326428672?s=21

Happy Hilda-days everyone!

https://twitter.com/fe_translate/status/1339044182095085568?s=21

(Also Bernie)