Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i ran into my fashion fan from before in the open world!

please dont judge my bar setup i just like to be able to see the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

W.T. Fits posted:

I look forward to the final boss of the third Nier raid being one long Active Time Maneuver rhythm battle that requires all 24 players to perform perfectly without anyone missing a single note or you fail and have to restart, with no checkpoints. :unsmigghh: :yokotaro:

One player has to delete their account in order to give everyone else a buff needed to win.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i ran into my fashion fan from before in the open world!

please dont judge my bar setup i just like to be able to see the screen

incredible. the true fashion leader to inspire such fervor from the masses

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Speaking of fashion, the school uniform glams are up on the Online Store now.

Slacks version
Skirt version

Thankfully not genderlocked, as the preview image for the slacks has a Viera, and the preview image for the skirt has a Hrothgar.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't even have the skirts be pleated? What kinda amateur hour is this??

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I guess on the upside though there is finally a skirt option without stockings

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Pleats are for olds, grandparent!

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Any tips for gathering to make some money this patch?

I want a chill time making a little bit of profit but I'm not sure if things like the new crafted DoW/M gear is actually worth it now the price is crashing

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

people will continue to need levinsands for consumables

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Gonna learn Emerald Weapon Ex tonight and playing monk for first time in awhile so dressing appropriately for an ff7 callback.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Haven't had time to catch up with the thread, but I was reminded of https://deathgenerator.com#fft so I made this:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm trying to level a DRK after getting to the end with my main, and I'm finding it more and more tedious to level post-55ish even though I love the class.

Is there something I should be doing besides roulettes and level-appropriate dungeons?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

I'm trying to level a DRK after getting to the end with my main, and I'm finding it more and more tedious to level post-55ish even though I love the class.

Is there something I should be doing besides roulettes and level-appropriate dungeons?

HW dailies aren't really worth it but SB and ShB beast dailies are worth a good chunk. Catbook is also worth half a level. You also should do Frontline Roulette if you're not

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Flavius Aetass posted:

Starting from HW onward, the beast tribe dailies are worth a respectable amount of XP per day (especially the Pixies in ShB since they're the only combat tribe). It's not exactly quick leveling if you're trying to get to cap as soon as possible, but it still reduces the number of dungeons you need to run by a little.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Chakan posted:

Haven't had time to catch up with the thread, but I was reminded of https://deathgenerator.com#fft so I made this:

Oh man, I hadn't seen this before.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Raised By Birds posted:

Speaking of fashion, the school uniform glams are up on the Online Store now.

Slacks version
Skirt version

Thankfully not genderlocked, as the preview image for the slacks has a Viera, and the preview image for the skirt has a Hrothgar.

this would be so good for my scholar glams but its in the 18 bux tier :cry:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Leal posted:

I guess on the upside though there is finally a skirt option without stockings

Southern seas skirt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vitamean posted:

people will continue to need levinsands for consumables

This is awful advice. The price of aethersands crash real hard real fast.

For making money, you’re going to have to move around markets and see what is in short supply or anticipate cornering a market for a short period of time. Things like GC turn ins are fairly reliable; sell things in stacks of 10 and what the market will bear (i.e. - HQ light gerbera/tiger lily/etc stacks for 20k). There’s about to be some housing supply, so having some granite, marble, silex, etc on hand isn’t the worst idea in the world.

Be sure to check the history to see what the volume has been because you don’t want to wind up farming 4.1 Legendary nodes and the last time chromite ore sold was 2 years ago.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I'm new to the game (just got to the forest in HW, leveling SCH/SMN and RDM, and have just started dipping into GNB), and I have a DPS question. I find SMN's rotation intimidating and I've only just started incorporating trance, and looking ahead to 80 the timer management and weaving seems to have an even sharper curve than 1-60. RDM, on the other hand, feels pretty boring and the stuff from here to 80 looks like it doesn't meaningfully change the rotation aside from extending the rapier combo slightly and adding a new spender ability. For comparison, healing as SCH seems like the right level of engagement for me, and GNB's rotation is fun to me, I just don't understand tanking mechanics. Is there a happy DPS medium I'm missing, preferably in the classes that start at higher levels? Alternately, is summoner not as imposing as it seems?

e: I recognize that this stuff doesn't really matter unless I plan on eventually getting into top-end stuff and actual progression, but I like knowing that I hit the buttons in the optimal order and had fun doing it.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 14, 2020

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Valentin posted:

I'm new to the game (just got to the forest in HW, leveling SCH/SMN and RDM, and have just started dipping into GNB), and I have a DPS question. I find SMN's rotation intimidating and I've only just started incorporating trance, and looking ahead to 80 the timer management and weaving seems to have an even sharper curve than 1-60. RDM, on the other hand, feels pretty boring and the stuff from here to 80 looks like it doesn't meaningfully change the rotation aside from extending the rapier combo slightly and adding a new spender ability. For comparison, healing as SCH seems like the right level of engagement for me, and GNB's rotation is fun to me, I just don't understand tanking mechanics. Is there a happy DPS medium I'm missing, preferably in the classes that start at higher levels? Alternately, is summoner not as imposing as it seems?

e: I recognize that this stuff doesn't really matter unless I plan on eventually getting into top-end stuff and actual progression, but I like knowing that I hit the buttons in the optimal order and had fun doing it.

This may be personal bias since it's my main, but reading this post makes me think that the job you're looking for is machinist.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I play basically every job but SMN just seems incomprehensible to me, so you're not alone. Red Mage is also probably among the simplest DPS rotation, so if that looks too simple, you don't have anywhere else to go but up.

Since you seem to be caster focused, Black Mages have a strong damage phase where they burn through all of their MP quickly, and then go into a maintenance focused recovery phase where they do less damage, but restore their MP and maintain their dot / timers. It might feel a bit fluid compared to the 1-2-3 combos that melee have, but it's still a solid rotation. But they also start level 1.

All three ranged and all the melee have distinct playstyles as well.

Samurai and Dancer are my DPS of choice. Samurai rotate through 3 combos to build up for big finishing hits, and they play smooth as ice. Dancers are a bit on the simple end like RDMs, but they're extremely mobile and have busy burst windows.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Valentin posted:

Non-caster DPS tend to have an easier time figuring out the optimal combo. Even stuff like samurai that has a lot of different buttons you could be hitting at any time (at least, once you get kenki in the 60s).

My personal favorite is dancer. The basic rotation is extremely simple, but you still have to watch for procs on combo extenders and for the timer on your dance. You get to be extremely mobile at all times, it's honestly hard to go back to not having the instant 10-yalm zip after playing it for a while. If that's a bit too laid-back, check out machinist, which has more meters and OCDs to manage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skeletome posted:

I want a chill time making a little bit of profit but I'm not sure if things like the new crafted DoW/M gear is actually worth it now the price is crashing

HQ potion materials. Turns out that with this patch, potion crafters actually need HQ materials to HQ the potions, no matter how good their gear is. The aethersand is guaranteed HQ and easy to gather so don't bother with that. Light gerbera, lime basil, sweet alyssum, and fernleaf lavender are what you're looking for.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Valentin posted:

Regular Summoner play isn't too difficult in my opinion, though maybe I just think that because it's one of the classes I play regularly (purple parses in savage last tier: Machinist, Dancer, Bard, Samurai; blue for Summoner). On a simplified level it's:
-keep dots up, preferably through use of Tri-Disaster
-trance rotation of Dreadwyrm -> Bahamut -> empty phase -> Phoenix -> empty phase, repeat
-use Egi-Assaults when they're up, use Ruin 3/4 while waiting for other things to come up

Optimization is a pain but that's the general idea.

Dancer is pretty easy as mentioned. Machinist is also on the easier side to play but at least you're pressing buttons a lot. Bard is a little like Summoner in that you're mostly pressing one button a lot of the time while managing dots, but you're also waiting to see if RNG hits so that you can use other skills that proc. Melee classes and Black Mage aren't necessarily complicated on a basic level but you have to think about positioning regularly, so that may be the kind of complexity you would enjoy.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Valentin posted:

BLM effectively closes one avenue of difficulty in that its rotation once you learn it is incredibly easy and intuitive but it opens up a new avenue of difficulty in that you need to make light revisions to the basic rotation, either planned or on-the-fly, to account for being forced to move out of your comfy turret spots, and there's a high skill ceiling in pushing the limits of finishing casts through predictive positioning and slidecasting. It's fun in that there's nothing like it but you can understand the basics of what you're supposed to be doing very quickly. I'd say it's worth trying, but understandable if it doesn't click.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
blm is the best and most fun class, but only at max level when you have all your tools. it outrights sucks to play till like, 60 bare minimum.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Skeletome posted:

For real profit you need something where the demand is spiking, which isn't exarchic gear anymore. Coming up is the final Ishgard restoration, and the recipes are already in the game, so maybe there'll be profit in stocking up on those materials. Or not, I've never tried to make money of that, so maybe someone that has will correct me.

There'll be another round of skysteel tools in 5.45, so more crafters will need subcombines, but I don't think those recipes are in the game yet, so you'd be gambling on what to gather.

There might be another round of housing released at some point, which would be another spike in demand for housing items, and thus for materials to make housing items, but again I don't really know what sells. Plus, I don't know when there will be more housing. So really, I don't know much of anything.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I JUST got blm to 60 and I still don't know what the gently caress. How do I cast more than one flare? gently caress if I know. Why would I want to cast that long rear end spell without instacast anyway

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

I JUST got blm to 60 and I still don't know what the gently caress. How do I cast more than one flare? gently caress if I know. Why would I want to cast that long rear end spell without instacast anyway

Use Convert after your first Flare. Eventually you'll get a trait that will let you cast an extra Flare per fire cycle. If you want to go extra tryhard, you can also pop an ether. And it's such a powerful spell for AOE that it's good even with the long cast time, though there are ways to mitigate that too.

Don't use it for single target though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Blizzard 4 should give you 3 Hearts of Ice or whatever. If you have a Heart of Ice, it reduces the MP cost increase of fire spells with in Astral Fire mode. Normally this means a few extra Fire 4s, but it will consume all 3 and make flare cost 1/3 MP instead. This might be a trait later on though. This accounts for 2 Flares. Then you get Manafont, which will give you a bit of MP back, enough for a third flare. Then you use an X-Ether, for a fourth Flare.

Even though it's a slow cast, it's more dps than some of your other options, like comedy option Fire II.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Make sure you level up in the middle of a flare chain to restore your mp to get more flares.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't think there's anything in the game that can melt a huge mob pack as quickly as a BLM with convert and a mana pot ready it's pretty ridiculous

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hazardousmouse posted:

Why would I want to cast that long rear end spell without instacast anyway

There’s a reason BLM is the only caster that wants to stack spell speed

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
My quick takes on all the DPS rotations.

Dragoon: A completely fixed, if a touch pretzel-shaped, GCD rotation. 1-2-3-4-5-1-6-7-5-4. Building a hotbar setup that works right for you is key to enjoying Dragoon. Because the weaponskill rotation is so static, they have like eight different oGCD timers to watch and weave as they become available. Only melee with no speed boosting skill/trait, s probably the easiest melee due to its sedate pace and few positionals.
Monk: Goes fast. Only has a couple of oGCDs to weave because their weaponskill rotation is so quick. Despite the speed and flexibility of the form system, it has a consistent pattern that becomes familiar quickly. All positionals, all the time, so you're almost always moving and keeping busy.
Ninja: Inside their trick attack window, Ninja turns into a furious blender of buttons as they cram in every skill through a burst rotation that just has become muscle memory. Outside of those 15s, you spend 75% of your time in the most braindead easy rotation the game has. Literally only eight buttons and that's only because the Raiton mudra requires three.
Samurai: My vote for most complicated class, SAM has a ton going on. You've got a continually varying series of weaponskills based on two self-buff timers. Meikyo Shisui/Senei/Ikishoten oGCD timers to watch. A lot of kenki oGCD dumps too. Higanbana uptime, matching the Tsubame timer, not overcapping on Meditation stacks. SAM at level 70 was a ton of fun, but matching the tsubame timer with an opening midare setsugekka is too much for me. It is perfectly acceptable if the previous sentences meant nothing to you; takeaway is SAM has a lot going on.
Machinist: Direct and simple class provided you've got decent connection speed. 1-2-3, with frequent spazzy Hypercharge burst phases, and a couple other weaponskills and oGCDs to keep on cooldown. Almost seems to lack any sort of unique central mechanic to it.
Bard: DoT class, its major abilities are tied to the damage ticks of its pair of DoT skills. Highly reactionary, and a bit frustrating due to having to refrain from using the DoT-powered oGCDs when the system tick hits late in a GCD; clipping your GCD is still bad. Basically: DoT things up to harvest oGCD uses.
Dancer: Also very random chance based, but almost all on the GCD skills so there's no keeping track of two simultaneous timers. Easy, can be played very whack-a-mole: hit the glowing buttons and your dances and you'll do fine. The big techstep/flourish burst window has a lot of weaves but the only proc you'll be watching out for is Fan Dance III so it's really not bad.
Summoner: A hot mess. Great damage, great utility, great mobility, utter misery to play. Burn down and start from scratch. This is not a fair assessment, I just cannot play SMN at all.
Black Mage: Turret caster. Not hard to play, but stressful continually living on the edge of failure in the form of the Astral Fire timer. Bounces between a short regen phase and a burn phase. Rewards forward thinking.
Red Mage: An easy one-two punch caster, Dualcasting gives them a monk-like flexibility. Builds up to a flashy burst rotation. Has few oGCDs and plenty of instants to weave them with.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The FFXIV Hori Keypad is back in stock https://stores.horiusa.com/tactical-assault-commander-f14-final-fantasy-xiv-edition/

Been using mine for the past couple years and its been working great for FFXIV and other games.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
blm is the hardest dps to play well, probably. just ime they tend to be the dps i see played the worst in roulettes

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Well, I do have a shitload of ethers just sitting around I could hotbar into use...

I also did my first maps in years this weekend and these dungeons are fun as gently caress and now my inventory problems are back again

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Relax Or DIE posted:

blm is the hardest dps to play well, probably. just ime they tend to be the dps i see played the worst in roulettes

There are only two kinds of Black Mages I run into: dead weight, or some harbinger of the apocalypse. Black Mage dps charts must look like a U, compared to a bell curve.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

iPodschun posted:

Regular Summoner play isn't too difficult in my opinion, though maybe I just think that because it's one of the classes I play regularly (purple parses in savage last tier: Machinist, Dancer, Bard, Samurai; blue for Summoner). On a simplified level it's:
-keep dots up, preferably through use of Tri-Disaster
-trance rotation of Dreadwyrm -> Bahamut -> empty phase -> Phoenix -> empty phase, repeat
-use Egi-Assaults when they're up, use Ruin 3/4 while waiting for other things to come up

thanks to those who offered their dps thoughts: reading this makes me think the SMN rotation is achievable for me (I think I have to move the egi assaults somewhere I can prioritize them better visually), and looking at other classes reminded me that the reason I picked summoner was not to do big deeps, it was to walk into every cutscene with ifrit trailing behind my lionman and stare every npc dead in the eyes while they beg me to stop the "beast tribes" from summoning primals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Grayshift posted:

Machinist: Direct and simple class provided you've got decent connection speed. 1-2-3, with frequent spazzy Hypercharge burst phases, and a couple other weaponskills and oGCDs to keep on cooldown. Almost seems to lack any sort of unique central mechanic to it.

This is painfully accurate and articulates the problem I've had with the job since the 5.0 rework. Kudos for putting it into words and I hate you for crushing my spirit.