Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Honestly more games should do the drakengard "different endings result in different sequels" thing

ME2 was fairly reactionary to your decisions in ME1 when you imported a save. ME3 was mostly a fountain of piss in this regard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I think you mean reactive

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
no if you killed Wrex in ME1 all the kurgans would yell anti-human slurs at you in ME2

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Most of the reactive stuff in ME3 amounted to you getting an e-mail that modified a war asset, or a random talking head on the promenade that modified a war asset.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME3 actually had a lot of cool permutations for certain events but it was oddly spent on stuff that very few players would ever see.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 actually had a lot of cool permutations for certain events but it was oddly spent on stuff that very few players would ever see.

No one I talked to knew you could prevent Mordin's death. Probably because you had to kill Wrex in ME1, destroy Maelon's data in ME2, and then go down a load of paths in Mordin's conversation in ME3.

You just got an email from him after saying he was going to pretend to be dead anyway though. Even in Citadel they just treat it like he's dead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Like being able to kill Wrex in ME3.

That required having a save game from ME1 since the ME2 default was him dead.

It's really amazing how much content they included in ME3. What happens if you go into ME3 in the worst state, like ME1 lovely choices, ME2 sole survivor, etc? It must be almost a entirely different character cast.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

womb with a view posted:

No one I talked to knew you could prevent Mordin's death. Probably because you had to kill Wrex in ME1, destroy Maelon's data in ME2, and then go down a load of paths in Mordin's conversation in ME3.

You just got an email from him after saying he was going to pretend to be dead anyway though. Even in Citadel they just treat it like he's dead.

He leaves a datapad near your bed on the morning after with a collection of his favorite musicals or something, if he's still alive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

pentyne posted:

Like being able to kill Wrex in ME3.

That required having a save game from ME1 since the ME2 default was him dead.

It's really amazing how much content they included in ME3. What happens if you go into ME3 in the worst state, like ME1 lovely choices, ME2 sole survivor, etc? It must be almost a entirely different character cast.

Kirrahe saves the Salarian councilor if Thane is dead.

Of course many goons probably encountered this themselves, having sent Thane into the vents. :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was one of the ones where everybody survived the suicide mission and at no part did it seem like a difficult choice who to pick for the vents or fire team. Then I came onto the forums and was so surprised how many characters folks were able to kill off.

At this point I’ve played ME2 about 14 times and have yet to ever get anyone killed in the suicide mission because I can’t bring myself to do it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Of course many goons probably encountered this themselves, having sent Thane into the vents. :v:

The best part is that Thane does his whole ninja battle thing and fights him to a standstill but runs out of breath so you can have a final denouement in the hospital.

Kirrahe just blocks kai leng's blade with his loving torso and Kai leng apparently gets weirded out and runs away.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Once the DLC came out and I could get both loyal Grunt and loyal Zaeed on my fireteams nobody ever died again. I did think it was bullshit that Legion could overheat in those vents, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kurieg posted:

The best part is that Thane does his whole ninja battle thing and fights him to a standstill but runs out of breath so you can have a final denouement in the hospital.

Kirrahe just blocks kai leng's blade with his loving torso and Kai leng apparently gets weirded out and runs away.

This scene was awesome and demonstrating just how bad rear end Thane really is. He was wheezing and at desth’s door and still schooled that goofy cyber ninja.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

chaosapiant posted:

I was one of the ones where everybody survived the suicide mission and at no part did it seem like a difficult choice who to pick for the vents or fire team. Then I came onto the forums and was so surprised how many characters folks were able to kill off.

At this point I’ve played ME2 about 14 times and have yet to ever get anyone killed in the suicide mission because I can’t bring myself to do it.

Yeah, I think I only learned long after the fact that people could die at all on the suicide mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:mordin:: Shepard, we need a TECH expert. Someone who is good with TECHNOLOGY, who uses TECHNOLOGICAL SKILLS and lots of TECH powers to go through the vents..

:shepface:: Aha, the vents! Thane, you're up. Nothing gets past this guy!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chaosapiant posted:

This scene was awesome and demonstrating just how bad rear end Thane really is. He was wheezing and at desth’s door and still schooled that goofy cyber ninja.

It was still dumb that Shepard and co. who are at this point laden down with anti-materiel rifles and drones and summonable black holes just stand there and chill

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chaosapiant posted:

Same. I was the only one of my friends to get everyone through alive my first time, and I was baffled that people made the wrong choices - Legion in the vents, Jack with the barrier, and Garrus leading the fireteams.

For some reason, picking Samara as the fireteam leader was really popular with my friends.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't think I screwed up the vents, but I definitely picked the wrong person to do the biotic bubble, and I also took too long to start the suicide mission and got Kelly melted.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Same. I was the only one of my friends to get everyone through alive my first time, and I was baffled that people made the wrong choices - Legion in the vents, Jack with the barrier, and Garrus leading the fireteams.

For some reason, picking Samara as the fireteam leader was really popular with my friends.

lol remember the people who picked Zaeed, the guy whose every story ends in disaster

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pattonesque posted:

lol remember the people who picked Zaeed, the guy whose every story ends in disaster

ZaEeD iS a MeRcEnArY wItH mAnY yEaRs oF ExPeRiEnCe ThIs Is BuLlShIt

mass effect 2 thread was extremely good poo poo back in the day :rip:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

ZaEeD iS a MeRcEnArY wItH mAnY yEaRs oF ExPeRiEnCe ThIs Is BuLlShIt

mass effect 2 thread was extremely good poo poo back in the day :rip:

people were so optimistic!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i tended to overthink the choices, like keeping a back-up biotic for the bubble sequence since it'd make sense if one wore out that the other could pick up the slack, or trying to keep jack and miranda separated over the various segments since they were always at each other's throats and jack essentially said she'd ignore her orders if miranda were in charge

no casualties on any run but i could see someone thinking zaeed was a choice for leader, given that garrus also gets everyone killed as archangel in his me2 backstory and miranda's lazarus project also only had 3 survivors despite just being a medical thing, while zaeed letting go of his past mistakes and learning the value of co-operation on the paragon path of his loyalty mission makes as much sense for rehabing him as garrus' and miranda's missions do for them imho

imho the big difference is mostly that in the dossiers you had available during the suicide mission the info really emphasizes that miranda, garrus and even jason had superior leadership qualities, while zaeed's dossier just talks about him like he's a brick shithouse wrecking ball

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The problem with Zaeed is that he's clearly a protagonist. He's going to survive but get everyone else killed.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

The problem with Zaeed is that he's clearly a protagonist. He's going to survive but get everyone else killed.

Yeah, that's why Joker's summary "Zaeed is just like you, but takes checks" was 100% correct.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I picked Jack to be my biotic bubble provider after losing her loyalty, and Garrus got eaten by bugs

Which, admittedly, I probably deserved after siding with Miranda in that particular convo

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I always wish there was some secret ending of ME3 of just Zaeed sitting on a pile of corpses of every character and enemy as it fades to black.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pattonesque posted:

It was still dumb that Shepard and co. who are at this point laden down with anti-materiel rifles and drones and summonable black holes just stand there and chill

Oh no a gunship, of which I have already killed a dozen, we're doomed

quote:

lmao

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

i tended to overthink the choices, like keeping a back-up biotic for the bubble sequence since it'd make sense if one wore out that the other could pick up the slack, or trying to keep jack and miranda separated over the various segments since they were always at each other's throats and jack essentially said she'd ignore her orders if miranda were in charge

no casualties on any run but i could see someone thinking zaeed was a choice for leader, given that garrus also gets everyone killed as archangel in his me2 backstory and miranda's lazarus project also only had 3 survivors despite just being a medical thing, while zaeed letting go of his past mistakes and learning the value of co-operation on the paragon path of his loyalty mission makes as much sense for rehabing him as garrus' and miranda's missions do for them imho

imho the big difference is mostly that in the dossiers you had available during the suicide mission the info really emphasizes that miranda, garrus and even jason had superior leadership qualities, while zaeed's dossier just talks about him like he's a brick shithouse wrecking ball

Wait you can reform zaeed? It’s been a while, but it felt like abandoning him to his bottomless quest for vengeance seemed wiser, “dig two graves” etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

El_Elegante posted:

Wait you can reform zaeed? It’s been a while, but it felt like abandoning him to his bottomless quest for vengeance seemed wiser, “dig two graves” etc.

IIRC your options on his loyalty quest are to let the space oil rig workers take one for the team on his vengeance pursuit and kill the guy or slow down so they don't explode; if your paragon/renegade points are low he tells you off, if they're high you can tell him to sit down and shut up and he'll deal with it. So it's less reform and more have him do it and get it over with or just have him get over it

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I picked Jack to be my biotic bubble provider after losing her loyalty, and Garrus got eaten by bugs

Which, admittedly, I probably deserved after siding with Miranda in that particular convo

i also didn't know you were better off just consistently mashing top-right or bottom-right of the dialogue wheel over a whole playthrough so i mostly made my own choices too and ended up with not enough paragon/renegade points to diffuse every major argument

you have to side with someone, against someone else and lose their loyalty, with no way out - if you play your cards right you can patch things up later at slightly lower paragon/renegade requirements but you need to make a strategic choice about who to back since some teamates are harder to talk back than others (you can also lose a romance i guess)...in that case miranda would've been much easier to go back to with a 'i actually agree with you but because jack's so unstable i had to do something to keep her balanced' and miranda agrees pretty easily

these things were cool touches too and i'm sure not everyone got to experience them

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

^^ Oh right I forgot you could ask for her forgiveness. Yet another path to not getting Miranda killed!!

My first run I deliberately killed Miranda on the suicide mission and no one else. Do you know how hard it is to kill Miranda and no one else? There's basically only one path. You make sure she's not loyal and then bring her on the final terminator babby run. If you did her mission and didn't side with Jack when they're arguing you're hosed, you're gonna have to try to mow down like 6 other crew members to get her killed in the final push.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

El_Elegante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjII2ci11nQ

not really reform per se, but i could see how someone could think it makes as much sense as garrus not being a good leader until he confronts his own mistakes in his loyalty mission

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Drone Jett posted:

After reading your “actually, the last season of GoT was good” and “I have faith GRRM will finish the series takes” I can’t decide whether I’m jealous that you live in such a world of child-like wonder or that you’ve taken in so many with this gimmick.

got was real bad but i enjoyed andromeda quite a bit so theres at least a couple of us

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I always made sure Vido died even if I wanted to shoot Zaeed in the kneecaps for nearly killing me with his jackass stunt because killing the head of the Blue Suns means I also get vengeance on the people that tried to kill Garrus.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

And if Kirrahe is also dead the councillor dies. Which gives -2 to the Virmire Survivor confrontation which depending on other attacks means you might have to kill them. So you can have a situation where Ashley kills Wrex in 1 and then Garrus/Liara kills Ashley in 3.

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC your options on his loyalty quest are to let the space oil rig workers take one for the team on his vengeance pursuit and kill the guy or slow down so they don't explode; if your paragon/renegade points are low he tells you off, if they're high you can tell him to sit down and shut up and he'll deal with it. So it's less reform and more have him do it and get it over with or just have him get over it

Or if you beat the game then do Zaeed's loyalty mission and have 2 more squadmates alive you can do the paragon/save the workers path then leave Zaeed to die.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Now I remember, that is absolutely what I did. Zaeed got what he deserved.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When it came out I played ME2 as a shellshocked psycho shepard and didn't hesitate to burn down the refinery with all the workers inside because "well Zaeed is on my fireteam and they aren't so...".

The fact you couldn't even begin to do stuff like that in ME3 or (lol) MEA is precisely why the latter installments were weaker narratively. Technically well I don't think we even need to go there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

DancingShade posted:

... Technically well I don't think we even need to go there.

The only serious issue I remember from ME1 was Garrus suffered from Unreal Texture Pop-in Syndrome worse than anyone else in the game (at least on the 360.)

20 years later the people on the Andromeda mission were changed by their time in dark space.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Asari contracted some sort of genetic disease that morphed all their faces to be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My face was so tired from 600 years in cryo