Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Lobok posted:

Oh man I wish it was actually mid-winter. Like from a calendar perspective winter only just starts by Christmas but even moreso from a weather perspective there's that realization every year after the extended celebrations and vacation time of the end of December that there's still such a long lovely slog to get through. Christmas is to winter as a 10 o'clock lunch break is to the rest of the workday.

The answer is to keep your lights and tree up through all of January and enjoy it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SpacePig posted:

Oh yeah smart guy then when is it? If it's not on Christmas then why is his name right there in it?

Christmas is a bastardized form of Xmas, the day Charles Xavier was born.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Holy poo poo what is this advent calendar thing? I've never heard of them in my life but everyone's talking about them like it's some integral part of the holidays and I :psyduck:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Xun posted:

Holy poo poo what is this advent calendar thing? I've never heard of them in my life but everyone's talking about them like it's some integral part of the holidays and I :psyduck:

You get 25 pieces of lovely chocolate before being disappointed on Xmas morning

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fried Watermelon posted:

Sorry your parents bought you a bad brand of calendar.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Or you do it right like we do in this house :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lobok posted:

Oh man I wish it was actually mid-winter. Like from a calendar perspective winter only just starts by Christmas but even moreso from a weather perspective there's that realization every year after the extended celebrations and vacation time of the end of December that there's still such a long lovely slog to get through. Christmas is to winter as a 10 o'clock lunch break is to the rest of the workday.

“Fixing” that would require accounting for seasonal lag, which varies widely in different regions of the globe, so there’s no way to do it and satisfy everyone.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Winter begins on the first day of Gormánuður (on a Friday circa 21-27th of November) and end on the first day of Hörputungl on A Thursday between 19th and 25th of April.

It is known.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The first I saw of advent calendars was when we were stationed in Germany when I was a kid. We got them then, and didn't really see them for a while. The PX and commissary started to carry them later, followed by "regular" stores.

And the quality of the chocolate depends on which one you get. Some are crappy, sub-Hershey's stuff, but you can also get decent Euro-style chocolate.

And to fit in with both the derail, the thread topic and my av:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Xun posted:

They're just a way of marking the days of December before Christmas. They used to be pretty much just paper things with pictures behind flaps, or reusable fabric things that you'd move a marker around.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SpacePig posted:

Oh yeah smart guy then when is it? If it's not on Christmas then why is his name right there in it?

As you can see from his name, Jesus is a Latino. Chistmas is Christ-Mas, or More Christ.

It's a day for Christ to really get up in your face and rub his big spiritual donger all over the holidays.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Or you do it right like we do in this house :colbert:

Gotta be honest, I love lovely weird advent calendars and this one is going to be tough to beat:

James Woods posted:

This one upholds the true spirit of Christ's birth.

https://www.amazon.com/JOYIN-Calend...7922252&sr=8-13

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would love to use that to construct a nativity scene. The three wise commanding officers bringing gifts of assault rifles to the baby k9 unit in the RHIB.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

hooah posted:

They're just a way of marking the days of December before Christmas. They used to be pretty much just paper things with pictures behind flaps, or reusable fabric things that you'd move a marker around.

Or small toys for kids. I had a Lego one 20~ years ago, which I know they still make and update every year or so. You’d get 25 little sets out of it. One of my little cousins had a Hot Wheels one or something like that a few years back, and other brands/types of toys do it as well, along with all the food/drink/sex ones people already mentioned.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This is a very popular calender in Sweden this year:
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/eES8BrN.jpg:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Dec 14, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks I just got fired from the dicksucking factory for looking at the competition

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

anatomi posted:

This is a very popular calender in Sweden this year:

Don't doxx me, nation of Sweden

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drat horror queefs posted:

Don't doxx me, nation of Sweden

Are you Petyr Baelish or the other guy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who is Boerglyflrt and is he the one getting jacked off, the one doing the jacking, or the concept of jacking someone off while lifting?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The latter one. Böglyftet is a classic Swedish meme.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bony tony posted:

Det är böglyft mina bekanta

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

FreudianSlippers posted:

Winter begins on the first day of Gormánuður (on a Friday circa 21-27th of November) and end on the first day of Hörputungl on A Thursday between 19th and 25th of April.

It is known.

Það er vitað

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That one made me laugh harder than I've done in a long time

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

bony tony posted:

This is great...for me!

My last name begins with Bog, and for years I've used the handle Bog Lord with various bog-prefaced iterations.

Looks like I'm the Gaylord now! Just gotta move to Sweden and capitalize on this somehow...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

This is great...for me!

My last name begins with Bog, and for years I've used the handle Bog Lord with various bog-prefaced iterations.

Looks like I'm the Gaylord now! Just gotta move to Sweden and capitalize on this somehow...

Yeah you just have to change your name to begin with Bög.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All the Swedish I know, I know from Hatten är din

Oddly, it prepared me fully for this page

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

I'm convinced that some variety of midwinter party is necessary for humans, assuming you don't live at the equator.

But also I live where the sun sets at 3:30pm this time of year.

Christmas Day is traditionally a scorcher, in Australia.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Gotta be honest, I love lovely weird advent calendars and this one is going to be tough to beat:

Not enough big toys for 24 days. The day you get a shrub is gonna suck.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hyperlynx posted:

Christmas Day is traditionally a scorcher, in Australia.

Do Australian retail stores play a lot of Christmas music during this time? If so, do they also play the songs about winter and snow?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CannonFodder posted:

Do Australian retail stores play a lot of Christmas music during this time? If so, do they also play the songs about winter and snow?

Absolutely they do, yes. The irony is not lost on us.

They also play the usual Mariah Carey/George Michael songs, you know the ones.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not enough big toys for 24 days. The day you get a shrub is gonna suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72e2mCRft0U

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Adam Friedland lookin good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Memento posted:

What about slade or is that a UK only thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI

The video itself is thread appropriate as a catalogue of highly unfortunate hairstyles.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Memento posted:

That said, they tend to avoid Winter Wonderland, for obvious reasons. I only heard that to the brink of insanity when I spent Xmas in the UK.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

What about slade or is that a UK only thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI

The video itself is thread appropriate as a catalogue of highly unfortunate hairstyles.

I've never heard of this song in the US. I'm pretty sure the only Slade song US folks know is Cum on Feel the Noise, and then not even the Slade version.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I, too, own the traditional Swedish advent calendar.
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/WFYaTQQ.jpg:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Dec 15, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Memento posted:

You poor souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I thought that was a bag of poo poo and everyone was munching on it.

There's a good reason weed smoke isn't usually depicted as green