Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US and France are modern imperialist powers and among the worst countries in the world as of 2020.

England is a failed one whose time has passed and I can’t wait till the scots join up with one of us winner countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bunch of unionists itt

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Americans are rebel scum in defiance of the empire.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Peanut President posted:

also why the gently caress wouldn't americans support the IRA? We have a common origin: hating the english

Indeed the Americans who do know where Ireland is have a history of siding with the Irish against England in their fight for independence. But not all Irish, the Fenians were a pain in the butt to everyone, trying to invade Canada several times, upsetting even Tammany Hall. The Dollop podcast has a few episodes relating to Fenians, ep 106 deals with the Canadian invasions and 112 where a failed assassination led to anti-Fenian sentiment in NSW.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Peanut President posted:

tbf a lot of that was cleared by noted catholic JFK. You know the poo poo about "Barack THE MUSLIM Obama"? Imagine that but John F "THE PAPIST" Kennedy and you have a pretty accurate picture of late 50s america
It was a major campaign issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsVpkh5yvE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ChubbyChecker posted:

english are french
Italians are French. English are German.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

canyoneer posted:

Handshake meme with the Irish, French, Scottish, and Americans

Hating the English is something that can bring the whole world together.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

PMush Perfect posted:

Italians are French. English are German.

What? No. No no no.

The French are Italians.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hopeless. The French are barbarians, the Italians are goths, all goths are related to vikings and the Byzantines are Romans who speak greek. Africans are African, but people in North Africa are semites.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Precisely why Carthago delenda est. Post-ante-semitism

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Dec 14, 2020

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ewe2 posted:

It was incredibly important what sect of Christianity you belonged to for a long period of Australian history and took a long time to die out even as general social attitudes secularized increasingly more rapidly from the 1970's onward. Yet in my memory of childhood anyone not generally protestant was viewed with suspicion for reasons never clearly specified.

In response, religious political power (particularly the Catholic and Anglican strains which were the most dominant sects) reorganized to target the political class to maintain its grip, which is why most of our politicians are educated at private schools with some kind of religious leaning and now we have a fundie PM indicating a new player has arrived. Interesting times.

Sometimes it boggles my mind that anyone ever gave a poo poo about anglicanism, a joke religion even by the standards of protestant denominations. At least Martin Luther stood for something, Henry VIII just wanted to get a divorce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Red Bones posted:

Sometimes it boggles my mind that anyone ever gave a poo poo about anglicanism, a joke religion even by the standards of protestant denominations. At least Martin Luther stood for something, Henry VIII just wanted to get a divorce.

Religions more than anything are prone to that one rule that any organisation eventually exists solely to perpetuate itself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sulla Faex posted:

:aaaaa:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

:golfclap:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sulla Faex posted:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, anglicanism may be a dumb idea but the individual anglican and episcopalian churches and priests are way chiller and more progressive than most mainstream christian branches in the west so I say keep em around

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kassad posted:

What? No. No no no.

The French are Italians.
Yeah, I know, it just broke the rhythm of the joke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anglicanism is “we like all the trappings of the Church but gently caress those arseholes in Italy”, which is an understandable point of view in the sixteenth century.

I would go so far as to say that this was a better basis than most protestant sects of the time had. There were a lot of kooks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/SketchesbyBoze/status/1337210481094893578

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I knew someone who grew up Anglican who described it as all the elegance and elaborate rituals of Catholicism without all the guilt.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm a lifelong practicing Catholic and I have no idea where this meme of Catholic guilt is supposed to come from tbh, I certainly don't feel guilty about anything. But then again I only ever heard this from Anglosphere people so maybe it's less universally Catholic and more a deep-seated issue with Anglo Catholicism?

Also Anglicanism is basically just a name at this point, they've got High Church Anglicans who like to cosplay Catholics, Low Church Anglicans who are super Protestant, Broad Church Anglicans who try to somehow hold it all together as well as a ton of deep dogmatic rifts going straight through the entire church which led to the CoE and the Anglican community worldwide in reality being a number of virtually autonomous subchurches (who all hate each other)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

I'm a lifelong practicing Catholic and I have no idea where this meme of Catholic guilt is supposed to come from tbh

Graham Greene invented it to sell books.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US and France are modern imperialist powers and among the worst countries in the world as of 2020.

England is a failed one whose time has passed and I can’t wait till the scots join up with one of us winner countries

We the Nordic countries are already making reservations for a larger table. We might even include the Estonians since we are taking new members anyways.

EDIT: And we need those 12+12 points for our Eurovision circle-jerk because now the Eastern Block tends to dominate too much.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Dec 14, 2020

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

The community worldwide in reality being a number of virtually autonomous subchurches (who all hate each other)

Christianity: A History.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I work as a staff singer for a fancy high church Episcopalian church and the official denominational stance on a whole bunch of issues is "I'm not picking one and you can't make me!"

I like all the fancy ritual stuff, it keeps me awake through multiple services. The first time I worked Easter Vigil that fire was huge!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I'm a lifelong practicing Catholic and I have no idea where this meme of Catholic guilt is supposed to come from tbh, I certainly don't feel guilty about anything. But then again I only ever heard this from Anglosphere people so maybe it's less universally Catholic and more a deep-seated issue with Anglo Catholicism?

Also Anglicanism is basically just a name at this point, they've got High Church Anglicans who like to cosplay Catholics, Low Church Anglicans who are super Protestant, Broad Church Anglicans who try to somehow hold it all together as well as a ton of deep dogmatic rifts going straight through the entire church which led to the CoE and the Anglican community worldwide in reality being a number of virtually autonomous subchurches (who all hate each other)

Well, from my protestant no-longer-member point of view, the if idea that you need to confess everything to your local priest and do their demanded prays for forgiveness to get A-OK for afterlife... if that isnt't guilt-tripping someone then what is?

Considering that many of the other denominations of Christianity and the other religions pay special attention to the fact that you actually should be nice in addition of doing the chores mandated by the church, shouldn't that be something that alerts to the "guilt-tripping one"? Lutherans can get their resolve from being buried, they do not need to confess jack poo poo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As a non-Catholic, I thought the guilt stereotype was because of the doctrine of original sin. I could well believe that this is a stereotype that non-Catholics have built up based on their understanding of Catholic belief systems though. I imagine most practicing Catholics don't labor under a continual strain of guilt.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, from my protestant no-longer-member point of view, the if idea that you need to confess everything to your local priest and do their demanded prays for forgiveness to get A-OK for afterlife... if that isnt't guilt-tripping someone then what is?

Considering that many of the other denominations of Christianity and the other religions pay special attention to the fact that you actually should be nice in addition of doing the chores mandated by the church, shouldn't that be something that alerts to the "guilt-tripping one"? Lutherans can get their resolve from being buried, they do not need to confess jack poo poo.

It's Catholics who stress the importance of good deeds if you want to get to the nice afterlife though while Protestant theology says that there's literally nothing you can do about it, either you are in God's grace or not (sola gratia) and if anything then what is actually relevant to your afterlife hopes is whether you were devout or not (sola fide) :confused:

Also the idea of confession is not to "confess everything", instead the thought is that while humans may have a natural disposition towards sin, they also have a natural sense of right and wrong, so confession is not only a way to set things right with God but also to set things right with yourself, it's basically a medieval/early modern version of therapy when you see it from that angle. I'll definitely acknowledge that confession has a pretty iffy history and was often used by priests as a kudgel to keep control over their parishioners - but otoh there are countless examples throughout history of people evading just that and goind to external priests instead for confession, choosing the more lax priests over the more strict ones (or the other way round if they wanted a stern talking-to) and exerting their own agency in this issue.

(Protestants never got rid of private confession, btw :ssh:)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll say this, I have never met any Catholics as ravenously and horrendously regressive as I have the community of fundie creationist Protestants I was raised in.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's France up to? I normally don't pay attention to the crimes of other countries because who cares, they're not us. But what's their deal these days?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It's Catholics who stress the importance of good deeds if you want to get to the nice afterlife though while Protestant theology says that there's literally nothing you can do about it, either you are in God's grace or not (sola gratia) and if anything then what is actually relevant to your afterlife hopes is whether you were devout or not (sola fide) :confused:

Also the idea of confession is not to "confess everything", instead the thought is that while humans may have a natural disposition towards sin, they also have a natural sense of right and wrong, so confession is not only a way to set things right with God but also to set things right with yourself, it's basically a medieval/early modern version of therapy when you see it from that angle. I'll definitely acknowledge that confession has a pretty iffy history and was often used by priests as a kudgel to keep control over their parishioners - but otoh there are countless examples throughout history of people evading just that and goind to external priests instead for confession, choosing the more lax priests over the more strict ones (or the other way round if they wanted a stern talking-to) and exerting their own agency in this issue.

What that’s Calvinism which was early in the process but died out more or less.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gotta love that dark, hungry, all-watching Calvinist God :pray:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Aaaaaaah

1. American Protestants aren't protestants. They are Mormons with different branding, as in, all american religiosity are brand new made-up religions unto themselves. Evangelicals are not protestants. Reformists are not protestant, even if they really want to be.
Protestant means european Lutheran.

2. Austrian catholics shouldn't be used as a source for Protestant theology or practice. Because they are still upset about the 30 years war (BECAUSE THEY LOST) and will get it wrong on purpose.

3. Repent.

4. In catholic countries they call priests "father" and their priests are sex criminals and catholics feel guilty.
In Austria you get Fritzl and Alois Hitler. Austrians don't feel guilty for anything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Frankly I don’t get why you folks don’t renounce your false Messiah and his thousand churches and just learn hebrew and wear a fuckin kippah like a normal person

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Not to mention some Anglicans who have ended up deciding to rejoin the Catholic Church and brought back with them some of the things that their old church had thought up over the centuries that doesn't directly clash with Catholicism(which is actually in many respects more diverse than most Protestant churches are)

Also agreed on finding the stereotype of Catholic Guilt ridiculous

CharlestheHammer posted:

What that’s Calvinism which was early in the process but died out more or less.

I will never understand how Calvinism ended up having any adherents at all, it's the most nihilistic religion with an Afterlife that I have ever seen

Exactly, forgiveness and salvation are among the most important pillars of Catholicism, it's telling that arguably the first Saint of them all is St Dismas The Penitent Thief and "all" he did to earn Sainthood was point out that he and the other thief had "earned" their crucifixions through their crimes while Jesus was innocent of any crime and asked Jesus to remember him upon his acension to Heaven, and Jesus being a total bro gave him a ticket to salvation

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

christmas boots posted:

What's France up to? I normally don't pay attention to the crimes of other countries because who cares, they're not us. But what's their deal these days?

France still owns a lot of countries and territories around the world such as New Caledonia and French Polynesia, they could be referring to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_France

Fun fact, because parts of France are scattered across the globe it means that France has the most number of timezones of any country.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Since Calvinism was so early in the process I assume it got adherents from people who were just desperate to get away from the Catholic Church. Would have converted to anything

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It amazes me that Mormonism has millions of followers worldwide because it's so transparently a wacky scheme by a known conman that got way out of hand. It's like if the Manson family had somehow become a huge international religion except the Mormons killed a lot more people.

christmas boots posted:

If something hosed up is going down in Africa odds are the French have their fingers in it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Helith posted:

France still owns a lot of countries and territories around the world such as New Caledonia and French Polynesia, they could be referring to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_France

Fun fact, because parts of France are scattered across the globe it means that France has the most number of timezones of any country.

Ah, I didn't realize France still actively owned all those places. I guess I thought it was kind of like a British type situation where it was all sort of culturally French but distinct entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

Ah, I didn't realize France still actively owned all those places. I guess I thought it was kind of like a British type situation where it was all sort of culturally French but distinct entities.

Nah it’s all France. The closest bit to the US is off the canadian coast, then there’s Guadeloupe and Martinique, then Guyane. But I was more referring to the french military being actively engaged in “friendly” wars in all over formerly french west Africa, and France trying to play kingmaker between Greece and Turkey, things like that.

It’s probably the only country besides the US that can poo poo a few thousand soldiers, a bunch of planes and ships, and maybe a nuke or two literally anywhere in the world on 12 hours notice.