Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah and Ellen too probably but I meant more boomer entertainment. I'd image even most gen xers are at least on the Netflix Hulu train by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Plenty of video games are bigger than any movie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ElHijoDelSimon/status/1338590552653246473

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the dolph ziggler of the 90s was martel, al snow, or skip

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Martel was entertaining so it can't be him

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Punch McLightning posted:

I post the following with the understanding that art is subjective and we all have different tastes.

Manami Toyota has one 4 rating on her wrestler page. The comment is:

"I like Toyota but she is missing psychology in most of her matches. I do not like her famous tag team matches but like one of her singles matches with Aja Kong. She is too quick for my tastes. She is not the greatest female of all time."
That's not really a ridiculous take, though? "Manami Toyota doesn't let anything register and is best against someone who can provide the storytelling and pacing" was a pretty common opinion in the late '90s-early '00s. But she absolutely improved the mental side of her game once she left AJW for Gaea and started her veteran presence run.

(All of that said, Toyota-Kong from the dome is one of the best matches you'll ever see and you should watch it right now if you've never seen it before.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

IceAgeComing posted:

This is a review left on AZM's page. I admittedly can't read... Spanish I think it is but I get enough to understand that this is a very silly review to leave

"This 14 year old girl is VERY GREEN 0/10". Its especially funny when you consider the fact that AZM is now a very very good wrestler so he was totally wrong!

'Greener than Piccolo' is a pretty great line ngl.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cavauro posted:

the dolph ziggler of the 90s was martel, al snow, or skip

Well Cena hosed Ziggler's gf on camera so the comparison to Skip works.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Dolph is undefeated at Tropicana Field.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ziggler deserves some recognition for being uniquely and memorably mediocre. Around since 2004. Very few stand-out matches or any of note you could call out. Technically was a world champion but got hosed over by injury and was never realistically seen at that level. Actually DID get over with things like being the Survivor Series sole-survivor against The Authority, but management made sure to nip that in the bud. Constantly talking about leaving and doing something else, but never ACTUALLY doing so. Multiple meta "I'm quitting/lol I'm not I'm back" angles. Fox News CHUD. Terrible stand-up comedian.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a 90s equivalent. He is a pretty good encapsulation of all of WWE's failures from 2000-2015 in terms of developing and pushing talent.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So what I'm hearing is that Ziggler is the American BUSHI.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Trying to think of the good Dolph Ziggler matches

- The Survivor Series match where he was the sole survivor
- TLC against Cena
- The double turn with Del Rio
- Royal Rumble challenges against Punk and Edge I think?
- Miz feud's meant to be great but I didn't watch it
- Feud in 2010 with Daniel Bryan (duh)

Anything else?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

That double turn could have been something. loving Jack Swagger.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ziggler had a really great Raw opener against Randy Orton way back in 2011

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
ziggler is just like owen because ziggler is also the brother of a hitman

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1338528914197544960?s=20

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

MotU posted:

ziggler is just like owen because ziggler is also the brother of a hitman

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Heading to the PC to get some reps in on their off time, no problem. Being sent to the kiddie class because Vince thinks every big man needs to work like King Kong Bundy? Very dumb

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Why wouldn't the prison inmates want to make license plates? They would have the chance to work at the DMV if they weren't in prison!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

- TLC against Cena

Anything else?

The Miz feud was one of those programmes where it ended up being much more than the sum of its parts. Like, it wasn't meant to work, but for whatever reason, it just did.

He also had some decent matches against the other guy that this forum has turned against, Seth Rollins. He and McIntyre had a pretty good match against Rollins and Ambrose at HIAC 2018.

Apparently his match against McIntyre at Extreme Rules back in July was meant to be pretty good, but I wouldn't know since I cancelled my Network subscription right after Mania.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Miz/Ziggler feud was good in a vacuum, there were some really good promos (before Ziggler's screechy THIS IS ALL I'VE GOT!!!! promos became the only thing he did and became impossible to take seriously) and both the title vs. career and the ladder match were really fun watches, but winning the title in that extremely emotional title vs. career match, then losing it two weeks later on TV on a roll-up, then losing again in the ladder match because he got kicked in the dick a bunch of times and, well.....

Was pretty much the end of the road for Dolph. He actually kinda had a shot there with the IC Title, he had succeeded in making people care about him again, but I don't think he's been credible for a single second in the four years since that ladder match.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

100% Truthy Fun Fact!: in corporate WWEse, “hone” means ruin and “craft” means knees :eng101:

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 15, 2020

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

How can I tweet that at him?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Rarity posted:

- TLC against Cena

Anything else?

He had a good series of matches against Rey Mysterio.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

We also need to give him credit for murdering Jerry Lawler, it isn't his fault it didn't stick

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

https://twitter.com/Sphinctater/status/1338538783675920385?s=20

yeah that's what i think about the pc. "it can't do any harm"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
what makes him think The Undertaker would be a good trainer? He's never done it before

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
See, the lack of house shows plays against the idea of programming in the WWE style. That style's supposed saving grace is that it's easier to work night after night as opposed to an all-out PWG/AEW/NJPW style big match approach. But if you're only working one decent length match every 2 weeks, well, that poo poo goes to the wayside anyway.

IceAgeComing posted:

what makes him think The Undertaker would be a good trainer? He's never done it before

Same people who thought Michaels would, when he's always been pretty well-known as a guy who has natural talent and isn't good at articulating why he does certain things.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I understand why you might think Michaels was good. He usually put on really exciting matches so maybe he could teach that to other people. It's the same kind of idea that gets old NBA stars coaching gigs. they never really work out but I get the idea.

The undertaker can't teach other people to be tall and look like a zombie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Michaels trained Daniel Bryan, technically!

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

My favorite thing about satin is that he stopped posting about anything other than WWE after he got the fox sports gig. But it's not like fox sports would tell him that he can't post about other wrestling on his personal Twitter, he's just that much of a company man. We respect a true #standupforwwe warrior.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

cauliflower jones posted:

My favorite thing about satin is that he stopped posting about anything other than WWE after he got the fox sports gig. But it's not like fox sports would tell him that he can't post about other wrestling on his personal Twitter, he's just that much of a company man. We respect a true #standupforwwe warrior.

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1337138201962586112?s=20

Lmao. McDonalds employee only eating McDonalds on his days off energy

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Here’s rent-free:

The person asks why Ryan can’t cover any other wrestling anymore.

Ryan answers talking about AEW. It was asked about other wrestling, not just AEW.

I just know behind the scenes there’s such a war for other promotions there and it’s so dumb.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Amazon Fulfilment Center Ambassador Ryan

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JUNGLE BOY posted:

this is his dream job? jesus christ how loving grim.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Honestly curious, what precisely is his job?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Making garbage content for fox sports and hoping to kiss enough rear end to not get fired whenever there's a big round of layoffs

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Honestly curious, what precisely is his job?
That's...kind of a good question?

It looks like FoxSports.com went through a redesign a few weeks ago, so I don't know if there's any significance to Ryan not having an author page linked to to his byline because I haven't been able to find any other bylined articles. (Which also suggests that they've been in downsizing mode, I think?) And personal feelings aside...when was "analysis" ever considered Ryan's strength? He had the podcast, which I never listened to, but either way, he was known as a scoopz guy and the role he played on WWE Backstage was In-House Scoopz Guy a la Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight. Other than already being their guy, he's a weird choice for "WWE Analyst."

As for if this is a freelance gig or a full-time job...he quit the site he founded for it, but...is FoxSports.com giving out *any* full-time jobs right now, much less one for a WWE Analyst? I'm sure the WWE content does good traffic, but good enough to hire someone full time when nobody else in sports media has done that? Every other sports media staffer that does anything resembling regular wrestling coverage (Brent Brookhouse at CBS, Marc Raimondi and Tim Fiorvanti at ESPN, and David Shoemaker at The Ringer/previously Grantland) is someone doing it secondary to their main jobs at those outlets (art director and unofficial combat editor for Shoemaker, combat reporters/editors for everyone else). WWE being a Fox Sports property does complicate things, of course, but Ryan joining Fox at a time where they appear to be deemphasizing individual contributors and don't seem to be an acquisition mode certainly makes it FEEL like this is a freelance gig.

And, of course, we also need to factor in that Ryan basically pretended that he/his family didn't have money while going on about how he got ProWrestlingSheet going, all while not explaining how he was able to survive on so little income for so long. (I forget if he outright denied it, though.) Being opaque about whether or not an ongoing gig is a full-time staff one or not would fit, too, but that's something that lots of people do under those circumstances, so that's not a big deal. For all I know this could even be paying really well as it's a freelance gig, which wouldn't be ridiculous at all, but the whole thing feels kind of weird and nebulous, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What are the chances that Satin does this completely for free or an intern-level pay grade just to say he works for Fox Sports as WWE's analyst