Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StrixNebulosa posted:

From what I understand it simulates like, actual water tables or something real grognardy re: its rice farming, which is insanely cool.

idk about water-table simulation but there's a hell of a lot to the systems, and they put a lot of effort into localization

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-11-12-the-careful-cultivation-and-localization-of-sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin

quote:

"A lot of the diseases [that the rice can get] in particular didn't have much online English info about them," she says. "For example, the search results for 坪枯れ are entirely in Japanese and all they reveal is that it's a disease caused by brown planthoppers. So I had to reverse lookup brown planthoppers in English and discover that they're known for spreading two rice viruses, one of which is called Rice Ragged Stunt Virus, which lines up with the meaning of the Japanese kanji. But there's no indication online that these Japanese and English terms are related at all without someone connecting the dots themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looking for:
- relaxing
- complex enough to be engaging, but no more
- number-go-up/checklist-y

Forager met all three last year, if that's any example

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

Looking for:
- relaxing

NGU IDLE: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147690/NGU_IDLE/

It has a lot of poo poo going on, but it unlocks slowly enough that it's not overwhelming.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was also going to say I was thinking about Terraria, but crivvens, if ever a game had an overwhelming amount of crap

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shine posted:

NGU IDLE: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147690/NGU_IDLE/

It has a lot of poo poo going on, but it unlocks slowly enough that it's not overwhelming.

I'd argue that the inventory management is overwhelming. Then when you hit macguffin fragments you have to worry about switching zones and losing your combo count. That's when I quit, and realized that the babysitting aspects of the game made it more like farmville than an idle game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ciaphas posted:

Looking for:
- relaxing

The combat update about a year ago made forager go from kinda fun to real poo poo, for me. They made automation a late game only thing, which was the exact opposite of what I wanted. Haven't played it since.

E: I thought this was a recommendation, not a request. Oops!

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 13, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unreal_One posted:

The combat update about a year ago made forager go from kinda fun to real poo poo, for me. They made automation a late game only thing, which was the exact opposite of what I wanted. Haven't played it since.

E: I thought this was a recommendation, not a request. Oops!

yeah I took a brief look a few months ago and the spark was totally gone

I think Terraria is basically what I want but it'll have to be with heavy walkthrough-reading

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

Looking for:
- relaxing

Littlewood? Stardew Valley? Graveyard Keeper?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stardew Valley is definitely a good suggestion, and by the time you get to year 2 or 3 if you want to go hunting for bigger numbers, there's an automation mod.

If you don't want to waste time on a wiki and don't mind using the next-to-last Terraria update, Recipe Browser and Boss Checklist are a big help. No need to look anything up in a guide, its all in-game.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Gonna build a new PC in the coming week. I want something to enjoy in 1080p/60FPS for once in my life. Recommend me the nicest looking games you got. Only thing barred for me are multiplayer games, so no COD/Fortnite/etc. Thanks in advance!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SoR Blaze posted:

Gonna build a new PC in the coming week. I want something to enjoy in 1080p/60FPS for once in my life. Recommend me the nicest looking games you got. Only thing barred for me are multiplayer games, so no COD/Fortnite/etc. Thanks in advance!

Horizon Zero Dawn
Dishonored 2
Subnautica

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SoR Blaze posted:

GTA5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Watch_Dogs 2

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

SoR Blaze posted:

Control looks gorgeous on high settings

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Control looks gorgeous on high settings

oh yeah absolutely seconding this

i also recommend grabbing an FOV uncapper for it as the defaults are hilarious console bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn
Assassin's Creed (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla)
DOOM (2016, Eternal)
Control -- even better with an RTX-capable card

And on the indie but not crap-looking indie side:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
A Plague Tale: Innocence

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Stardew Valley is definitely a good suggestion, and by the time you get to year 2 or 3 if you want to go hunting for bigger numbers, there's an automation mod.

If you don't want to waste time on a wiki and don't mind using the next-to-last Terraria update, Recipe Browser and Boss Checklist are a big help. No need to look anything up in a guide, its all in-game.

I've actually played out Stardew and Graveyard Keeper; and Littlewood was... well, I own it and I've played 20 minutes of it. Didn't take, dunno why!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

Monster Hunter World, especially with the free high-res texture pack. There is multiplayer, but it's optional and is 100% jolly cooperation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SoR Blaze posted:

Witcher 3

5 years old still looks absolutely gorgeous even stacked against modern games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

Monster Hunter World, especially with the free high-res texture pack. There is multiplayer, but it's optional and is 100% jolly cooperation.

i think you'll find it's 99% jolly cooperation and 1% furious pretty princess one-upsmanship

no? just me?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i think you'll find it's 99% jolly cooperation and 1% furious pretty princess one-upsmanship

no? just me?

Everybody I met was pretty chill, especially on expeditions where we’d shoot the poo poo between monsters. I’m a filthy casual though.

Come to think of it, few want to trade guild cards with me, perhaps my title is too honest (Third-rate Lacking Offense :haw:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I've actually played out Stardew and Graveyard Keeper; and Littlewood was... well, I own it and I've played 20 minutes of it. Didn't take, dunno why!

Quoting myself to say that the answer to my search, turns out, is Heroes of Hammerwatch. Like a heavily-roguelite (so numbers-go-up :v:) Gauntlet kinda thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

When Monster Hunter World launched I heard it had that horrible "the mouse controls are just the game awkwardly emulating controller input" issue that plagues bad ports and I stayed away. Did they ever patch that?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SoR Blaze posted:

I reallly liked AC Odyssey for this - granted I was also coming off a very long string of not really playing modern games too much, but the setting is great.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Quoting myself to say that the answer to my search, turns out, is Heroes of Hammerwatch. Like a heavily-roguelite (so numbers-go-up :v:) Gauntlet kinda thing

Let me know how you like it. It’s been creeping up my “roguelik(/t)es to check out eventually” list on steam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Looking for a good asymmetric single player strategy game. As I understand it sorcerer king is pretty much exactly what I want, except apparently the game isn't very good. AI Wars also seems pretty close except I launched AI Wars 1 once like 6 years ago and moused over one of the 30 different unit types and the info overlay flooded my entire screen with way more statistics than I wanted to have to learn. Is there any middle ground out there where the game will be fun to play and also won't take me hours to learn the base mechanics of?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
AI wars 2 is supposed to be more accessible I think isn't it? I don't play them so check else where before buying though.

They are billions or frostpunk maybe? Haven't played either personally but they got a decent amount of traffic here a while back.

Majesty is a great asymmetric SP game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Iverron posted:

Let me know how you like it. It’s been creeping up my “roguelik(/t)es to check out eventually” list on steam.

So far it's scratching all the right buttons, especially once I switched to gamepad instead of K&M. Music's an ear worm in a good way, a single round doesn't outstay its welcome, and I bet co-op would kick loving rear end from the feel of the gameplay

Said gameplay is pretty basic twin-stick controls, which suits the hell out of me and my drifting attention span :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Looking for a good asymmetric single player strategy game. As I understand it sorcerer king is pretty much exactly what I want, except apparently the game isn't very good. AI Wars also seems pretty close except I launched AI Wars 1 once like 6 years ago and moused over one of the 30 different unit types and the info overlay flooded my entire screen with way more statistics than I wanted to have to learn. Is there any middle ground out there where the game will be fun to play and also won't take me hours to learn the base mechanics of?

Creeper World

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Creeper World

Seconding this, Creeper World 4 just launched. It's been exciting to see it grow from a flash game to a full series on Steam. All 4 games are good in different ways, but the basic premise of each is that there's an ever-growing blue goo on each map that you have to hold back with turrets until you can grow your economy enough to overwhelm it and escape the planet. Having played through them all way too much, my only complaint is that the games are pretty easy once you get the formula down, and once you're no longer in danger of being overwhelmed, you're in no danger at all and the rest of the level is just 10-15 minutes of cleanup, but I find each one really satisfying in a pick up and play sort of way. The campaigns don't wear out their welcome and they include a lot of bonus missions if you want more.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Android games?

Looking for something with tactics and planning, thoughtful, strategic.

No pay to advance, pay to not wait, pay for power, or pay for convenience. A proper mechanics focused game. Thanks!

For a Samsung Galaxy A21

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't know how well it actually does on mobile, but Mindustry, maybe?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I must come up with a game for people wanting to get me something for Christmas. I love games with great soundtracks and great storylines. Additionally but not a must, I also like shorter games, I like 2D platformers, great settings, and new experiences. I usually like small focused games over massive open-world.
Anyone have a recommendation for PS4 or Switch?

In 2013, I asked something similar here and was told Nier, and I love this thread to death for that. (and thankfully trusted the recommendation even though the game was really poorly reviewed)

Edit: All I’ve bought in a long time is FF7 Remake, Last of Us 2, and Control.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

some bust on that guy posted:

I must come up with a game for people wanting to get me something for Christmas. I love games with great soundtracks and great storylines. Additionally but not a must, I also like shorter games, I like 2D platformers, great settings, and new experiences. I usually like small focused games over massive open-world.

In 2013, I asked something similar here and was told Nier, and I love this thread to death for that. (and thankfully trusted the recommendation even though the game was really poorly reviewed)

Nier Automata.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Both Ori games

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Streets of Rage 4 has a loving great soundtrack. The storyline is what you'd expect from a sequel to an old Sega Genesis series (skip cutscenes and you'll miss nothing important), but it ticks your other boxes. Excellent entry to an old-as-dirt genre.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

5thMouseButton posted:

Android games?

No pay to advance, pay to not wait, pay for power, or pay for convenience. A proper mechanics focused game. Thanks!

For a Samsung Galaxy A21

Card Hunter or Loot & Legends if they still exist in the app store.

Wonderful 101 might be your jam. It's newly remade for systems other than the Wii-U, and Platinum Games tend to have a lot of similarities in how they play. It's very tonally different from Nier, but still very good in its own way. Conceptually it's power rangers crossed with Pikmin and Okami, and there's a free demo to feel it out. There's also a theme song. The game has a fully orchestral soundtrack.

For platformers, I think the best one in a long while has been Hollow Knight, and there's also Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Celeste.

For new experiences, there's VA-11 Hall-A, although that's more on the visual novel side of things, and Crypt of the Necrodancer, a rhythm-based roguelike.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

5thMouseButton posted:

Android games?

For a Samsung Galaxy A21

Sproggiwood is a goonmade mobile roguelike that meets your needs. Buy once, pay once, and gameplay is much..."chunkier" than usual roguelike bump-attacking fare (small numbers, limited RNG). You have a very good idea of what's going to happen as a consequence of your actions. The default difficulty is reasonably straightforward, but the hard difficulty really rewards being able to predict several turns into the future.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a game that would be like satisfactory or factorio but I'm making money, which I use to purchase things to make even more money?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Leal posted:

Is there a game that would be like satisfactory or factorio but I'm making money, which I use to purchase things to make even more money?

Maybe Transport Tycoon / OpenTTD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like games where an orderly situation turns into chaos, with a bunch of moving parts that can get broken. Then you have to either repair the situation, or escape. Some games that do this well include Left 4 Dead, FTL, Project Winter, and the board game Roborally. What are some other games like this?