Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mean it's a Miata, there's a lot of them - not sure that I'd want to buy something like that which I hadn't driven and looked at.

Yeah, I found one even closer that is only a 3 hour drive.

E:

'We're sorry, but that 2014 has been sold, could we interest you in a similar car such as this 2005 Mustang with 200k miles on it?"

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do you live in wyoming

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tactlessbastard posted:

Yo somebody talk me out of buying a NC Miata from carfax 4 states away sight unseen

Buy it, best case scenario, you get a decent car, post a mod/build/whatever thread that doesn't go gold.
Worst case scenario, it was on fire, before becoming a flood car that then got totalled in an accident and consequently has a ton of gremlins and you post a thread where you go insane tearing out your hair, wishing for death and the thread goes gold.

Win win.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Buy it, best case scenario, you get a decent car, post a mod/build/whatever thread that doesn't go gold.
Worst case scenario, it was on fire, before becoming a flood car that then got totalled in an accident and consequently has a ton of gremlins and you post a thread where you go insane tearing out your hair, wishing for death and the thread goes gold.

Win win.

My wife sent me a link to a 2017 that was only $8000 and I told her it was obviously a wreck.

She said what, did you run a carfax already?

The car was white with an unpainted hood and front bumper cover.

And you could tell the airbags had popped lol.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

My wife sent me a link to a 2017 that was only $8000 and I told her it was obviously a wreck.

She said what, did you run a carfax already?

The car was white with an unpainted hood and front bumper cover.

And you could tell the airbags had popped lol.

I can hear the FB marketplace ad in my head already

"Driven by an old lady. Runs and drives great no issues. Like new tires no lowballers I know what I got here."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 11, 2020

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I can hear the FB marketplace ad in my head already

"Driven by an old lady. Runs and drives great no issues. Like new tires no lowballers I know what I got here."

What has two thumbs and buys a convertible in December

Lol

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol

Nice. Still wonder about the mint NB (in the same color) I drove five years ago. I was replacing a del Sol too, so I don’t know what my hangup was.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

hello, when it comes to cars I am an idiot, so apologies in advance

2018 Ford Focus hatchback, 4 cyl 2.0 egine, 40K miles on it. Having a bunch of intermittent "should I get this looked at or not?" issues. This is the first car I've purchased for more than $3000 so I have to care about it a little more I guess.

-Car vibrates when idle maybe 60% of the time. Doesn't matter if heat/AC is on or off, if it's park or gear, if the engine is hot or cold. Sometimes it's barely there and sometimes it's very obvious.
-I've had one trip where the car was stuttering when accelerating after a stop. It did it consistently for one day, with a couple hours between starts, and hasn't since. Only variable I can think of is the gas tank was about 1/8 full and hasn't been that low again since (not driving much these days).
-Liquid rushing/sloshing noise when I start the engine. I think it's every time.

could it be spark plugs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol

nice color combo congrats!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol

Congrats, welcome to the NC club! Love that color, it's amazing.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Puppy Galaxy posted:

2018 Ford Focus hatchback, 4 cyl 2.0 egine, 40K miles on it. Having a bunch of intermittent "should I get this looked at or not?" issues. This is the first car I've purchased for more than $3000 so I have to care about it a little more I guess.

-Car vibrates when idle maybe 60% of the time. Doesn't matter if heat/AC is on or off, if it's park or gear, if the engine is hot or cold. Sometimes it's barely there and sometimes it's very obvious.
-I've had one trip where the car was stuttering when accelerating after a stop. It did it consistently for one day, with a couple hours between starts, and hasn't since. Only variable I can think of is the gas tank was about 1/8 full and hasn't been that low again since (not driving much these days).
-Liquid rushing/sloshing noise when I start the engine. I think it's every time.

could it be spark plugs?

1. When the car is vibrating, does the engine surge or stumble? Are the rpms changing? If your car had more miles, I might think the motor mounts were going bad, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue for a 40k mile car.
2. Low gas is a decent guess, if it hasn't happened again, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye out for it happening again and try to notice your fuel level if it does.
3. Dunno about that, my guess is coolant moving around as the car warms up. If no warning lights are coming up and gauges aren't going wild, I wouldn't sweat it.
4. I usually replace my spark plugs between 60k-80k miles; yours could be fine or they could need replacing, but nothing you posted makes me think spark plugs.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person, so these are just my thoughts. I can certainly be wrong. If you have any warranty left, you might want to have a dealer look at it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind, looks like Ford ditched the Powershit and went back to a traditional automatic for 2018. :doh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 12, 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

GOD IS BED posted:

1. When the car is vibrating, does the engine surge or stumble? Are the rpms changing? If your car had more miles, I might think the motor mounts were going bad, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue for a 40k mile car.
2. Low gas is a decent guess, if it hasn't happened again, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye out for it happening again and try to notice your fuel level if it does.
3. Dunno about that, my guess is coolant moving around as the car warms up. If no warning lights are coming up and gauges aren't going wild, I wouldn't sweat it.
4. I usually replace my spark plugs between 60k-80k miles; yours could be fine or they could need replacing, but nothing you posted makes me think spark plugs.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person, so these are just my thoughts. I can certainly be wrong. If you have any warranty left, you might want to have a dealer look at it.

Thanks!

STR posted:

e: nevermind, looks like Ford ditched the Powershit and went back to a traditional automatic for 2018. :doh:

Didn't see your original comment, but I couldn't remember if they did that, or just improved it ... so I googled it, and found this:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ford/focus/2018/road-test/

quote:

Several flaws keep it from being one of our top-rated small cars, though. The most irksome of those is the PowerShift automatic transmission, which stumbles at low speeds. While updates have improved refinement, this transmission is still hesitant in stop-and-go traffic and sometimes transmits drivetrain vibrations through the cabin.

So I guess it's just how things are with this car. Carry on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My partner has a 2017 Focus, otherwise same options, and I think I know what you're describing here as it does the same. Do you have automatic climate controls (i.e., set the temperature, it does the rest?)

I'm 99% sure it's "behind the scenes HVAC things", because it sounds like vents redirecting and the like, but I haven't actually tested the theory. In any case, it's done it since new and I wouldn't sweat it.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure Powershift ended with the 2016 Focus - ours doesn't have it.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 13, 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

No auto climate controls, just a regular old blue to red dial. I’ll have to figure out what kind of transmission I actually have I guess :confused:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've had a soft spot for Miatas since 1999, a friend had a red '96. The first time I saw one in that green and tan it regalvanized me, mmm mmm mmm.

So, I am hyped for that car but as mentioned, it's about a 7 hour drive from here right now and will be getting delivered. We've got a reputable transporter contracted for 'delivery to your door' as promised by the dealer.

Here's the thing,

1. I work nights.

2. I live at the end of a narrow dead end, which is off of a very narrow side street, off a very busy normal street. No way for anything with long trailer to get here.

Anyone have experience with car transports? Will they just find a convenient spot to drop it and drive it in?

I'm really enjoying my midlife crisis right now lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

STR posted:

ILFR6B = NGK 6481. :) (I'm sure you know this, but wanted to make sure simplefish knows it's the same plug - Subaru's owner's manuals refer to the 4 digit part #). Either part # works on Rockauto, and Rockauto or Amazon would be the way to go (they're $14 a pop at Advance, currently $11.60 on Amazon and eligible for prime, $8.11 on Rockauto + shipping).

Thanks for the spark plug info, everyone - appreciate it

I'll see if it passes its annual inspection (there are somewhere between zero and none bushings in the front suspension so it creaks more than a slapper's bedstead) and if it does I'll treat it with some new ones. I have no idea when they were last changed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

I've had a soft spot for Miatas since 1999, a friend had a red '96. The first time I saw one in that green and tan it regalvanized me, mmm mmm mmm.

So, I am hyped for that car but as mentioned, it's about a 7 hour drive from here right now and will be getting delivered. We've got a reputable transporter contracted for 'delivery to your door' as promised by the dealer.

Here's the thing,

1. I work nights.

2. I live at the end of a narrow dead end, which is off of a very narrow side street, off a very busy normal street. No way for anything with long trailer to get here.

Anyone have experience with car transports? Will they just find a convenient spot to drop it and drive it in?

I'm really enjoying my midlife crisis right now lol

If it runs fine, then yes, they can de-mount it and drive it to your house if its close. Even so, they may require some type of authorized warm body to be present when they deliver it, to verify both its condition on arrival and to release the vehicle from their care, custody & control. Discuss this FIRST with the transport company.

Where are you located?

My own experience is 20-years old but when my Bonneville was shipped from Tacoma to Newark NJ (freight yard to freight yard) they had to have driven it at least 100-yards into a fenced area from where the transporter parked.

e: drat but that is a pretty color on a pretty car!

I'm prepping my car for paint as we speak. Taking a while to remove all of the shiny bits...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 13, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Puppy Galaxy posted:

could it be spark plugs?

the car is still covered by the fully transferable powertrain warranty (5/60) so i would take it to the dealer and have them take a peek

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Peak stupid question: at idle, the engine itself should not be visibly vibrating separately from all the other mechanical bits under the hood and the car itself, right? 2018 Mazda 3, running the gamut of issues with this thing but this is the only "potential warning sign" stupid enough to make it over here. Engine mounts wouldn't explain my other issues, but spark plugs would...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not much, no. There's certainly some small amount of visible vibration in most / all cars, and bad motor mounts will accentuate it. If it looks like a paint shaker, something's definitely amiss.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

We're not quite in paint shaker range, but between today's "multiple tries to start properly" and ongoing issues with acceleration and power dropping off, I'm getting increasingly suspicious it's the plugs. Dealership (under warranty) ghosting me until Jan 10 so this is going to get interesting.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Plugs could cause some or all of that, but so could a lot of other things. The multiple tries to start thing doesn't really jump out at me as a plugs thing - not that it's impossible, but it wouldn't be my first guess. Is your check engine light on? If so, pull the codes. If not, pull the codes, since the CEL/MIL won't always illuminate with every problem.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Krakkles posted:

Plugs could cause some or all of that, but so could a lot of other things. The multiple tries to start thing doesn't really jump out at me as a plugs thing - not that it's impossible, but it wouldn't be my first guess. Is your check engine light on? If so, pull the codes. If not, pull the codes, since the CEL/MIL won't always illuminate with every problem.

Briefly popped CEL, charging system (apparently separate from the battery itself), and power steering. Second start worked fine. I don't have a code reader but getting them scanned tonight anyway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Briefly popped CEL, charging system (apparently separate from the battery itself), and power steering. Second start worked fine. I don't have a code reader but getting them scanned tonight anyway.
Have you had any work done on it prior to the start of issues, or did anything happen to the car?

I'd be looking at grounds, honestly.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Krakkles posted:

Have you had any work done on it prior to the start of issues, or did anything happen to the car?

I'd be looking at grounds, honestly.

You mind if I just recap everything since we're getting into it in more detail than I planned?

2018 Mazda 3, 2.5L hatch. Bought new, w/ 3y/36k mi warranty, at sub 100 miles with no issues, currently just under 17k miles. Routine maintenance through the first 10k.
Around 11k, started having some issues in specific gears. 4th gear specific loss of power, "could not reproduce please go away" from dealer. Mostly just stayed like that as I kept trying to get them to even look at it. No work done, just routine maintenance and software updates. With how little they wanted to do anything at all I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do the regular scheduled "check and tighten all the connections". Another few "could not replicate"s mixed in here.
Issue spread to the rest of the gears around 15k. Slower acceleration across the board, more gas to get up to speed, more rumble from the engine while failing to accelerate much unless I pushed further. Went to the only other dealership in a 50 mi area, scheduled me for service on the only day I could, told me when I got there that they hadn't scheduled any techs for that day :thunk:, and the regular dealership has shut down their service dept until Jan 10.

So here I am. No accidents or damage to the vehicle, no major work done on it. Bought from just outside the state line so lemon laws don't apply, and even if they did the dealers' refusal to even look at anything under the hood doesn't qualify towards the "attempted repairs" count the law uses anyway. Though I know half the time it's bullshit, Mazda hounds you about "third party maintenance voids the warranty", and I bought new JUST so it had a warranty to avoid this exact situation, so I'm doing my best to get this under my bloody warranty.

Don't have a second car, can't afford a long enough term rental to just not drive it until they get their poo poo together and are willing to work on it. So my not-technically-oriented self has to drive this thing while figuring out why it wants me to die at an at-grade highway intersection one of these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bitch to mazda corporate on twitter

i am dead serious

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

While I'm not huge on making a public scene, if this dealership tries loving me over one more time it's getting escalated. Up until this shifted I was able to write it off as "okay, it's conditional for me and how I drive, so maybe they're just not picking it up and ride-alongs are a disaster right now". Now it's impossible to miss.

I've already complained about the other dealership lying through their teeth though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should definitely complain! if I had a car that wouldn't perform correctly in 17% of the gears I paid for I would be loving pissed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm with Kyoon here, the time to escalate has already passed. Get Mazda Corporate involved right now, especially before everyone disappears for the holidays.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

It begins. Wish me luck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

It begins. Wish me luck.

who is your local dealer? let us know how it goes!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So today while pulling into work my poor wrecked Civic started making a chuffing noise and the power steering went out and the battery light came on. I figured I had thrown the accessory belt so I parked it. First chance I got I came back out and saw the following.

https://youtu.be/yV-9ghGhD9s

Is that pulley loose or just in the process of disintegration? Can I drive it to a shop safely?

Can I drive it home and fix it in a couple of hours before my next shift starts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

So today while pulling into work my poor wrecked Civic started making a chuffing noise and the power steering went out and the battery light came on. I figured I had thrown the accessory belt so I parked it. First chance I got I came back out and saw the following.

https://youtu.be/yV-9ghGhD9s

Is that pulley loose or just in the process of disintegration? Can I drive it to a shop safely?

Can I drive it home and fix it in a couple of hours before my next shift starts?

Yeah, don't drive that.

I can't tell what's wrong from your video, but it's your crank pulley so no good will come of this if it's one of the extra bad reasons it's rattling around.

Fingers crossed it's just "balancer rubber dead" and you have a simple replacement, but yeah....don't play games with that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Crap. Should have expedited shipping on that Miata lol.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who is your local dealer? let us know how it goes!

Local dealer is specific enough to dox me, small town Midwest. Called in though. Verdict: wow mazda support is dogshit but we might get something out of it. Seeing what they can do to arrange an appointment asap and cut through the "random person calling in" tape. (Red flag: ask if call recording is fine on my end since they're recording, "if you do I have to disconnect", hello sketch)

And mid call we got extra bonus fun - the lovely car no longer wants to rev above about 2.5k and gets very loud if you even get it near 2. Considering my commute is on a busy highway where 70 is your minimum safe speed...

I hate this car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should want the call recorded dude wtf

edit: also don't drive the car and make them give you a loaner

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should want the call recorded dude wtf

edit: also don't drive the car and make them give you a loaner

welcome to my corner of hell.
Borrowing a car until I hear anything from them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SkyeAuroline posted:

Local dealer is specific enough to dox me, small town Midwest. Called in though. Verdict: wow mazda support is dogshit but we might get something out of it. Seeing what they can do to arrange an appointment asap and cut through the "random person calling in" tape. (Red flag: ask if call recording is fine on my end since they're recording, "if you do I have to disconnect", hello sketch)

And mid call we got extra bonus fun - the lovely car no longer wants to rev above about 2.5k and gets very loud if you even get it near 2. Considering my commute is on a busy highway where 70 is your minimum safe speed...

I hate this car.

Check to see if your state is a one party or two party consent state for recording.

If it's one party consent, you're the one party that knows, and you can record it fine. Also, if they have a greeting that states calls may be recorded for QA/etc, both parties already know they're being recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A customer going out of their way to say “I’m recording you!” is aggressive and confrontational, no matter how justified you are in documenting the interaction.

Are you really surprised that call center policy is to nope out of that?