Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I did not get to make my yearly trek to Chicago and Half Acre this year, which makes me very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

Loving the label designs on the Bingo Beer Co stuff, this was solid

the Bingo brewers are definitely our #1 homies and if you like their lagers more than ours i am okay with it

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So I found this massive pile of beer on my porch last night around 9:30 that Nullfunction sent. The Slime Beer even features a picture of my doppleganger on the can.

It was almost cold enough to drink when it showed up last night thanks to the insulated packaging. I don't have enough space to store it, so I'm gonna have to fill this thing up and send it elsewhere.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I need to find myself a dimpled mug somewhere

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
furiouslobster is now the undisputed BiF champ in my eyes as he sent a third (3rd!!!!) package of SoCal freshness to my doorstep. Looking forward to crashing into these Monkish IPAs and Highland Park stouts. And implicit jokes about sleep between the beers! MVP! MVP! MVP!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

furiouslobster is the man. The delicious beer man.

broseph
Oct 29, 2005
Jorge came through for me with plenty of lagers, what more could I ask for? Very excited for those drowned lands and fox farm though! Thanks a lot. Sipping the life on Mars now, drank pretty good.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My local bottle shop had only two of this year’s BCBS offerings. I grabbed the last bottle of Kentucky Fog. The stock of OG BCBS hadn’t even been touched. Grabbed one just for comparison.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

My local bottle shop had only two of this year’s BCBS offerings. I grabbed the last bottle of Kentucky Fog. The stock of OG BCBS hadn’t even been touched. Grabbed one just for comparison.

All you pastry stout guys, BCBS Kentucky Fog is delicious. Like drinking a really boozy Tobler Chocolate Orange.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I absolutely understand the desire not to buy GI beers and the proliferation of locals can make them completely obsolete but the BCBS variants over the last few years have been consistently good examples of adjunct laden stouts.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
After a rather large amount of FedEx hassle with my box being 10 miles away for over a week (and Zam and myself calling them up on separate occasions to find out what the heck was going on), my extremely rad box from Zam arrived today. Very excited to start to break into this next week. Some serious SoCal representation here.

highme
May 25, 2001

Started in on the box of Texas beers nullfunction sent. I don’t

Started with Velvet Hammer, an imperial red from Peticolas Brewing. Reds aren’t something I normally drink, but I enjoyed this and definitely felt the 8% after a pint.

Next was Kama Citra (I think that is what the can says). I’m not sure of the brewery, but I need to know because this was loving amazing and would absolutely be in my rotation if possible.

This Berliner Weiss from Celestial Beerworks made me wish it was hot as balls out so I had no excuse just to sit and drink it in the shade.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

After a rather large amount of FedEx hassle with my box being 10 miles away for over a week (and Zam and myself calling them up on separate occasions to find out what the heck was going on), my extremely rad box from Zam arrived today. Very excited to start to break into this next week. Some serious SoCal representation here.

Hell yeah buncha winners. Im surprised he didnt send any Bottle logic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I bought beer for the first time in a couple months.
Dark Rye is much more bitter than I remember it, but also not as syrup-y. Maybe it's actually different, maybe its just because it's in cans, maybe I'm remembering it wrong?
I paired it with some things; Cholate covered caramel, coconut cookies, maple cookies, korean pork bbq jerkey, and a brownie.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought beer for the first time in a couple months.
Dark Rye is much more bitter than I remember it, but also not as syrup-y. Maybe it's actually different, maybe its just because it's in cans, maybe I'm remembering it wrong?
I paired it with some things; Cholate covered caramel, coconut cookies, maple cookies, korean pork bbq jerkey, and a brownie.

I got more anise in it than I remember previously but it's still tasty as gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

danbanana posted:

I got more anise in it than I remember previously but it's still tasty as gently caress.

You know maybe that's what it is... It definitely isn't as warm and chocolaty/vanilla aftertasting as I remember it.
Still tasty as gently caress. Do enjoy but no longer think that Reese's PB cups and apples are the best pairing for it. I've moved on to cashews or macadamia nuts and beef jerkey.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hmm. if anything, it should be less bitter than ever; last year we swapped out some chocolate rye for pale chocolate and this year we collected so much less wort than expected (rye turns to glue in the mash tun) that we actually recalculated the hopping rate so as to keep the same IBUs. glad you still enjoyed it even if it didn't quite live up to expectation, and obviously thanks for your support!

also, dunno what all is making it up your way, but the helles turned out okay and we should be releasing our totally reworked summit dipa in a couple weeks, which went from citra/amarillo/el dorado and a norwegian yeast strain to simcoe/mosaic/nelson and london three; yeah, not the same AT ALL, but labels are expensive and we weren't happy with the previous iteration, soooo...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

hmm. if anything, it should be less bitter than ever; last year we swapped out some chocolate rye for pale chocolate and this year we collected so much less wort than expected (rye turns to glue in the mash tun) that we actually recalculated the hopping rate so as to keep the same IBUs. glad you still enjoyed it even if it didn't quite live up to expectation, and obviously thanks for your support!

also, dunno what all is making it up your way, but the helles turned out okay and we should be releasing our totally reworked summit dipa in a couple weeks, which went from citra/amarillo/el dorado and a norwegian yeast strain to simcoe/mosaic/nelson and london three; yeah, not the same AT ALL, but labels are expensive and we weren't happy with the previous iteration, soooo...

Dominion Wine and Beer didn't have the Helles when I went on Tuesday but I'll keep my eyes out for it.
and holy poo poo it sounds like you just flipped Summit on it's head! How does it smell?

Also, with regards to Dark Rye, straight from the can I get strong coffee sensations that I lose when I pour it.
I don't think more bitter is actually a good way of putting it, but maybe more sharply bitter? I think it has a lot more to do with the rye than the hops. It's like comparing two different loaves of pumpernickel bread.
Either way I'm still happy, yeah. Still a good beer.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 12, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

Some new double hazy was on the menu today when I went to make my order. Figured I had to at least try this. I’ve had 1 pint. It’s alright. A bit boozy at 8%. Probably didn’t need 4.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yo, this is one of the best singles I’ve ever had.

Trying the Foggy Window tonight.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Last night's beer, perfect for drinking next to the fire pit:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Having one of these with the game.

Its alright. Coffee notes are mild but still more prominent than I'd expected. Its nice but not amazing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Trying the Foggy Window tonight.

Goddamn. These are 2 of the best hazys I’ve had. My first Monkish beers. I can see why online orders are gone in seconds. Shame they don’t distribute to NorCal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I really liked the White Ale and now I’m having the Wee Heavy and I gotta say I’m having a good time with Einstok beers.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Any recommendations on stoppers to keep large format 750mL beers after you open them? I've got a bunch of The Bruery beer that is too strong to easily drink in a single day, let alone a single sitting, and with a pandemic on, it's not a good time to try and invite friends over.

I found a few champagne stoppers on Amazon, but it's hard to tell if they're really the right product for the job, or of they'll work on low-carbonation stouts or imperials.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Infinite Karma posted:

Any recommendations on stoppers to keep large format 750mL beers after you open them? I've got a bunch of The Bruery beer that is too strong to easily drink in a single day, let alone a single sitting, and with a pandemic on, it's not a good time to try and invite friends over.

I found a few champagne stoppers on Amazon, but it's hard to tell if they're really the right product for the job, or of they'll work on low-carbonation stouts or imperials.

1. THAT'S QUITTER TALK.
2. My experience with high-ABV beers is that you've got a couple days after stopping them. They'll be a hair flatter, but with those styles, it won't make a big difference.

Or just sit on them.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've used these for years, they're cheap and great at what they do: https://smile.amazon.com/Rabbit-W6121-Beverage-Stoppers-Assorted/dp/B005N0WCE4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

danbanana posted:

1. THAT'S QUITTER TALK.
2. My experience with high-ABV beers is that you've got a couple days after stopping them. They'll be a hair flatter, but with those styles, it won't make a big difference.

Or just sit on them.
1. Absolutely. I'd rather have 12 oz at the end of the day, twice, than start drinking at noon and force myself to down a $40 bottle of beer in one go.
2. I figured it was a day or two tops, but that's all I'm hoping for.

I have some of those rabbits that I use for wine, but it seems like they don't like staying in tightly on carbonated drinks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Infinite Karma posted:

If I'm not drinking a 750ml in one sitting, I will pour the remaining beer into one of my 500ml growlers and try to finish the rest within a few hours later - though I've never tried keeping it overnight since I know I'll drainpour flat beer

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Can you really call yourself a connoisseur if you’re not drinking an entire bottle of Black Tuesday in one sitting?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Infinite Karma posted:

I like these

https://www.amazon.com/Westmark-Germany-Hermetus-Resealer-Bottle/dp/B0010AWH2I

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i have some solid silicone stoppers that work fine; i think the trick is to make sure you open it really cold and immediately get it in the fridge so that it loses as little co2 as possible

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
New tech idea: a really lovely paintball gun. It emits CO2 at a low pressure and you can use it to purge growlers/bottles at home.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Spanish Manlove posted:

New tech idea: a really lovely paintball gun. It emits CO2 at a low pressure and you can use it to purge growlers/bottles at home.

Hmm Macgyver a soda stream???

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Hmm Macgyver a soda stream???

Probably just super-glue a straw onto the nozzle then figure out how to bypass the safety

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

bypass the safety

Joke's on you. Mine is old enough that it doesn't have a safety!

This is actually a clever idea I never thought of, though the amount of gas you'd need to spit out to purge air out of a half-used 750 would be significant.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Can you really call yourself a connoisseur if you’re not drinking an entire bottle of Black Tuesday in one sitting?

The one time I tried to do this I woke up at 5am in a pile of laundry.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Can you really call yourself a connoisseur if you’re not drinking an entire Black Tuesday vertical in one sitting?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

prayer group posted:

The one time I tried to do this I woke up at 5am in a pile of laundry.

ya dont gotta lie to us in the beer thread my dude. we're all open here.

you woke up at 5am on a pile of taco bell dont lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

no Taco Bell that close