Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
As far as I can tell it all comes down to this website for expectant mothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kazzah posted:

As far as I can tell it all comes down to this website for expectant mothers

mumsnet it's called.

I just think it's the latest bogeyman for right-wingers to kick at. Can't openly trash different races anymore, let's culture war over trans people.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

mumsnet it's called.

I just think it's the latest bogeyman for right-wingers to kick at. Can't openly trash different races anymore, let's culture war over trans people.

I reckon it’s more that gay panic particularly in respect to kids being “turned gay” if they see the wrong music video or whatever (“it’s just a phase she is going through at uni”) has finally become so generally unacceptable in many Western places (nowhere near most or all) that this is the next step - it’s always about general disquiet towards progressivism, especially in culture, and the only battleground they feel safe on warring it is protecting children/teens.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Blamestorm posted:

I reckon it’s more that gay panic particularly in respect to kids being “turned gay” if they see the wrong music video or whatever (“it’s just a phase she is going through at uni”) has finally become so generally unacceptable in many Western places (nowhere near most or all) that this is the next step - it’s always about general disquiet towards progressivism, especially in culture, and the only battleground they feel safe on warring it is protecting children/teens.

Hadn't thought of it as gay panic v2, but that makes a lot of sense

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mumsnet and Rowling

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

What's the trigger with the UK? Like is it just their lovely papers upping circulation with the typical hate campaign or what?

background white 2nd wave feminism not being challenged by POC.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opinion/terf-trans-women-britain.html

This is a good summary of the history of UK transphobia. Despite Nine/Fairfax's latest turn I'm still fairly optimistic about the trajectory of trans rights here overall - a lot of state governments have made important reforms with birth certificates recently, Queensland is planning to soon as well, and even a concerted campaign from the Murdoch press and the Christian right wasn't enough to get the Morrison government to take up their fearmongering about CHILDREN BEING TRANSED.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is proliferation of Terfism on parenting sites due to the conflict between "Parent identity" where you think of the child as yours and an extension of yourself, and the realisation that the child is actually their own person?
I don't know if that adequately expresses what I'm trying to say.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...lication-lodged

How is she still in power?

In November last year NSW deputy coroner Derek Lee found “it was neither necessary nor appropriate for David to be moved and that he did not pose a security risk." He said: "From a medical point of view there was no evidence of any acute condition which would have warranted a cell transfer." However, he said none of the five guards should face disciplinary action. Their conduct, Lee said, “was limited by systemic efficiencies in training” and was “not motivated by malicious intent”. But the Dungay family said they will fight for somebody to be made accountable for his death. “It’s plain and simple, the use of force was a contributing factor to his death,” Dungay’s nephew, Paul Silva, told Guardian Australia. “If you take that use of force out, would David Dungay still be alive today? ”

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, injured in custody, force used, mental health / cognitive impairment.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Liberal, NewsCorp, Feds, etc

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We've passed the point of political figures getting in trouble (unless it's, like, a Greens candidate breaking decorum on Twitter.)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Uhhh someone find that Matt cabanas thing from the other day definitely not saying his feefees were hurt by a new female greens senator not showing respect.

E Canavan?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Liberal, NewsCorp, Feds, etc

Complete lack of opposition too

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Amoeba102 posted:

Is proliferation of Terfism on parenting sites due to the conflict between "Parent identity" where you think of the child as yours and an extension of yourself, and the realisation that the child is actually their own person?

No, I think that you've done pretty well. My partner and I are expecting, and it's very easy to do this. All we can really do is be aware of it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Amoeba102 posted:

I imagine it's that plus a lot of their expectations of who their child was/is going to become get thrown out of the window. Except rather than go "oh, guess I got it wrong" and bonding with/appreciating their child differently, they instead flip out and insist their child is "just being difficult" or "going through a phase" for not fitting into a societal mould.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it seems to come out of nowhere to the parent (like the complaint about their son being "happy playing with girl's toys as a child"), and partially this is because sometimes trans people don't start feeling that way until they hit puberty (i don't know if there's any at all decent studies about childhood vs adolescent onset prevalence), but also it's often because the child has correctly identified the parent is the sort of person who's going to react badly and thus deliberately hides things that may be a 'sign' from the parent. there's been a big push by transphobes to try to discredit adolescent onset gender dysphoria as completely invalid under the term "rapid onset gender dysphoria" which basically just means the parent was surprised and is convinced their child is just very confused/is trying to be trendy/rebelling/all those exact talking points from the terrible SMH opinion piece.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

it seems to come out of nowhere to the parent (like the complaint about their son being "happy playing with girl's toys as a child"), and partially this is because sometimes trans people don't start feeling that way until they hit puberty (i don't know if there's any at all decent studies about childhood vs adolescent onset prevalence), but also it's often because the child has correctly identified the parent is the sort of person who's going to react badly and thus deliberately hides things that may be a 'sign' from the parent. there's been a big push by transphobes to try to discredit adolescent onset gender dysphoria as completely invalid under the term "rapid onset gender dysphoria" which basically just means the parent was surprised and is convinced their child is just very confused/is trying to be trendy/rebelling/all those exact talking points from the terrible SMH opinion piece.

This does sound exactly the same situation as gay kids and their parents in, say, the '90s.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Amoeba102 posted:

Eloquent and concise. What I was thinking.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/Scottludlam/status/1338412901351129088?s=20

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1337147793245315072

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Someone post the picture.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/RqITBRS.mp4

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Someone post the picture.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Labor delays live animal exports due to cruelty: incoherent screaming.
Coalition permafucks our coal exports: silence.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Matt Canavan with the extreme brain genius move of saying we should also try to get them to stop buying our iron

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Someone needs to stop führer Dan!!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

When cultural Marxism goes too far!!!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

No one who speaks German could be an evil man!

Does Chris go throw rocks at the local Volkswagen dealership?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

Someone needs to stop führer Dan!!

Do we have to use führer now, instead of Dictator Dan?

Could we drop the umlats too? They're unAustralian.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

:sickos:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pikehead posted:

Do we have to use führer now, instead of Dictator Dan?

Could we drop the umlats too? They're unAustralian.

I dunno, I think führer is derived from something bad.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2017/feb/09/scott-morrison-brings-a-chunk-of-coal-into-parliament-video

"Don't be afraid, don't be scared"

An accidental win for the environment.

Mr Jackamarra was found hanged in a cell in Broome at 2.10pm on 16 December 2015, four hours after a routine court appearance. He was awaiting paperwork to be released on bail. He was taken to hospital but unable to be revived. He had been discharged from a mental health service three days earlier. When the West Australian Department of Corrective Services called Jackamarra’s father to say his son had died in custody, they were initially unable to tell him his son’s first name or clarify which of his sons had died. It was listed for a callover on 3 August 2018.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, mental health / cognitive impairment.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if Andrews said he didn't like sand Ughlmann would say he is literally Darth Vader

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bowmore posted:

if Andrews said he didn't like sand Ughlmann would say he is literally Darth Fader

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein... Kinderficker?

Seriously, though, that's one hell of a stretch. Does that mean 'folk music' is also Nazi tunes?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The nazis said 'mein fuhrer!" yet the LNP is all about keeping the mines open.

Makes you think.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Jobs and growth

"Work makes you free"

:thunk:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It's a long bow so it must mean something for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Seems like a windup