Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 14.3 just dropped. :siren:

Support for Apple Fitness+ and Airpods Max, ability to capture photos in Apple ProRAW on iPhone 12 Pro, other features and bug fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Binary Badger posted:

Support for Apple Fitness+ and Airpods Max, ability to capture photos in Apple ProRAW on iPhone 12 Pro, other features and bug fixes.

Is it worth downloading right away or should I leave my phone to update itself later

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

im on the net me boys posted:

Is it worth downloading right away or should I leave my phone to update itself later

Always the later until the reports from the early adopters come in. They can be real buggy first few days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Binary Badger posted:

Support for Apple Fitness+

Ah I was wondering how this was going to work, as nothing new in my Fitness app. Time to upgrade I guess, and hope my code comes through at some point today.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I upgraded. Turning on ProRAW it warns that each photo will be 25MB.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I assume turning ProRAW on is only recommended for photo tinkerers?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah. After you turn it on in Settings you still need to activate it for a specific shot in Camera. It's a button like the Live Photos or Flash.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
ProRAW is somewhat cool, especially for Night Mode shots, but it's nowhere near as amazing as Apple wants us to believe. You can't shoot portraits in raw and the HEIC images already offer enough editing latitude for almost anything you want to do with a phone image at <10% of the file size. It's really meant for the occasional shot you plan to be working on a lot in post.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

endlessmonotony posted:

Always the later until the reports from the early adopters come in. They can be real buggy first few days.

:agreed:

I have no problems with the beta, but that is merely an anecdote and I would guess some people have had other experiences with this one.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m really trying to figure out why I can’t send photos in text messages. I use Google Fi, and I’ve looked at every guide I can find. I tried resetting my network settings, but to no avail. This has been going on for several weeks, and it’s dang frustrating.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Valicious posted:

I’m really trying to figure out why I can’t send photos in text messages. I use Google Fi, and I’ve looked at every guide I can find. I tried resetting my network settings, but to no avail. This has been going on for several weeks, and it’s dang frustrating.

google fi has some custom settings for MMS that you have to set manually. If you have those set correctly, probably need to take it up with them.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I assume turning ProRAW on is only recommended for photo tinkerers?

Zero One posted:

Yeah. After you turn it on in Settings you still need to activate it for a specific shot in Camera. It's a button like the Live Photos or Flash.

And then have a RAW photo editing app that you want to use, like Lightroom or Darkroom.

Wait... unless... can you edit RAWs in Photos now?
e: and do things like true highlight/shadow recovery etc

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Would anyone know if there’s a way to access locked notes from the last if you forgot the password? I found a thing in the settings to change the password but it doesn’t affect old notes only new ones. When I got my new phone I forgot to write down the password to my notes and I cannot remember it for the life of me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn’t the idea behind pro raw that you get all of the AI information as well about the image and how it would have rendered it were it to process it.

I’m not sure if there’s any image editor that can actually use that information for anything though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are iPad minis super popular, for Christmas maybe? I was looking at a tablet for a family member and they seem to be hard to find. It doesn't look like they update them too often, so I guess would have to deal with the lightning port. Old people don't want to buy a bunch of new cables :q:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Charles posted:

Are iPad minis super popular, for Christmas maybe? I was looking at a tablet for a family member and they seem to be hard to find. It doesn't look like they update them too often, so I guess would have to deal with the lightning port. Old people don't want to buy a bunch of new cables :q:

No, Apple just hates the mini, they just sell a bunch of them for various integrations through B2B channels and it helps with developer relations. Basically it's just lucrative enough not to kill off, not lucrative enough that they invest too much money in development and inventory.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Disappointing Pie posted:

Would anyone know if there’s a way to access locked notes from the last if you forgot the password? I found a thing in the settings to change the password but it doesn’t affect old notes only new ones. When I got my new phone I forgot to write down the password to my notes and I cannot remember it for the life of me.

Based on this Support Doc., you're SOL.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Charles posted:

They're a niche product at this point, most people go for the cheaper device with the larger screen instead.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I updated my watch to 7.2, and my phone is on 14.3. I don't see Fitness+ in the Fitness app. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: rebooted phone, works.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 15, 2020

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Charles posted:

my mom loves hers so they are Mom Approved and therefore likely selling like hotcakes

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mad Wack posted:

my mom loves hers so they are Mom Approved and therefore likely selling like hotcakes

That was the intended application :greencube:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I liked the idea of a mini when they first launched, but then phones got huge. A small phone and a tiny tablet sounded kinda cool once upon a time and that time is past.

But now my eyes are turning into barely functioning pieces of poo poo so now I'm steeling myself for a future where I have the fonts scaled up on everything and a mini might make more sense.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Does the Family Sharing thing still require one person to pay for all App Store and iTunes purchases? Apple One seems like a decent deal if you’re going to use the Fitness and Music services but I’d rather not funnel everything through one person.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

It's been what? A year since their last update. I think it was 3 or 4 years before that. So by that logic the current Mini is still on the bleeding edge of technology.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Did iOS 14.3 change the sound that plays when you lock the screen? It sounds horrid now, and much louder and sharper.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fedule posted:

Did iOS 14.3 change the sound that plays when you lock the screen? It sounds horrid now, and much louder and sharper.

this is some sort of weird bug. it was happening to me before 14.3 and temporarily goes away with a restart but starts up again sooner or later. i know exactly what you mean, it's very unpleasant

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Weedle posted:

this is some sort of weird bug. it was happening to me before 14.3 and temporarily goes away with a restart but starts up again sooner or later. i know exactly what you mean, it's very unpleasant

Well that's weirdly specific. Restart did indeed fix it.

fake edit: I've figured it out! This is triggered by attaching my magsafe wallet and persists until restarting the phone. Incredible.

real edit: It is not triggered when starting up the phone with the wallet already attached. It is triggered when then subsequently removing the wallet. Conclusion: It is actually triggered by the magsafe attachment chime. Even more incredible.

further edit: It is still triggered when attaching the wallet in silent mode, so I guess it's not the sound effect that does it but some part of the process that plays when you attach something.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 15, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Charles posted:

That was the intended application :greencube:

Is there any reason you can't just get the regular iPad?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Chemmy posted:

I updated my watch to 7.2, and my phone is on 14.3. I don't see Fitness+ in the Fitness app. Anyone have any ideas?
New WatchOS out, too? Anything new, other than the big bullet points?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Combat Pretzel posted:

New WatchOS out, too? Anything new, other than the big bullet points?

It turned my quiet mode off and I forgot how much I hate that ding on a new message. Looked to see if you could change it to something more subtle, but nope.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Since getting the new update my airpod pros have to be disconnected manually and reconnected manually in order to get anything to play over it.

This is update seems to be pretty buggy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

Is there any reason you can't just get the regular iPad?

Bit big for a small purse is all. They're both a12 based systems with lightning ports that also seem to be sold out, anyway.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

The Halide folks posted their blog about ProRAW.

I need to read it a few more times to digest some of it more but essentially it’s storing de-mosaiced 12-bit RAWs with new tags that they got Adobe to add to the DNG spec to carry metadata about some of the computational side of things like local tone mapping. There’s still some stuff like Deep Fusion frame merging and noise reduction that you can’t entirely control.

Apparently you can edit ProRAWs in Photos (it’s not just doing normal editing of a JPG sidecar or something), which is good because most RAW processors haven’t updated with support for all the details of the new format.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Dugong posted:

Does the Family Sharing thing still require one person to pay for all App Store and iTunes purchases? Apple One seems like a decent deal if you’re going to use the Fitness and Music services but I’d rather not funnel everything through one person.

Unfortunately, yes. I really wish they would allow any adults / organizers in the family to assign their own payment methods while still being able to share purchases.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

No. As long as you don't choose to share purchases, everyone can have their own purchasing method while still giving everyone access to apple music, arcade, etc.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fourwood posted:

The Halide folks posted their blog about ProRAW.

I need to read it a few more times to digest some of it more but essentially it’s storing de-mosaiced 12-bit RAWs with new tags that they got Adobe to add to the DNG spec to carry metadata about some of the computational side of things like local tone mapping. There’s still some stuff like Deep Fusion frame merging and noise reduction that you can’t entirely control.

Apparently you can edit ProRAWs in Photos (it’s not just doing normal editing of a JPG sidecar or something), which is good because most RAW processors haven’t updated with support for all the details of the new format.

So ProRAW may or may not have Apple's aftereffects applied to the shot? I thought the whole point of RAW format was... raw sensor input?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

enojy posted:

So ProRAW may or may not have Apple's aftereffects applied to the shot? I thought the whole point of RAW format was... raw sensor input?

The appeal of proraw is having the full editing latitude while getting the increased dynamic range, sharpness and image stabilisation that computational photos have. The iPhone was able to shoot standard raw photos for a while now, but the raw sensor data from these tiny sensors is naturally pretty underwhelming.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Are all of the Apple leather cases bad this year, or is it just mine where the corners keep popping out of the case?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Are all of the Apple leather cases bad this year, or is it just mine where the corners keep popping out of the case?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-12-apple-leather-case-corners-popping-off-how-common-is-this-issue.2266703/

My case popped out twice randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

enojy posted:

It has some but not all of the processing you get when you take a normal image. But it has basically all the benefits of RAW shooting (e.g. ~16x more data per pixel for brightness values), can work with Night Mode for having stacked multiple images in the final output, etc. Some of the extra info is saved as metadata instead of applied to the pixel values directly, so 3rd party apps will need to update to support that, but it’s applied automatically in Photos.

(RAW is misleading anyway, it’s not necessarily raw sensor data. Very well could have minimal processing like vignetting correction, usually has a gamma correction, etc.)