Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Pinus Porcus posted:

You feel folks who wear pads are saints about smell. I swear I smell it way more if I have to use pads instead of tampons and I hate it.

This is why I only wear pads when I go to sleep. That, AND the feeling of blood pouring out of me when I'm in public gives me anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is why I only wear pads when I go to sleep. That, AND the feeling of blood pouring out of me when I'm in public gives me anxiety.

Yea, that feeling weirds me out too. I always feel like there is blood everywhere and that I am definitely bleeding through my pants: no matter how recently I changed pads.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I remember seeing an old crime film in which the hero, accompanied by a young woman, goes into a house where there's been a grisly murder and mutters to himself that he hopes she doesn't realise what that smell is - i.e. the smell of blood everywhere, and I thought "Dude, she can probably tell you exactly how old that blood is just by the smell..."

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

Maigius posted:

I have opened up four pads that are not sticking enough.

I had this issue with my last package of pantyliners. New package, and they're back to normal sticky. What gives?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got some liners that have an anti-stick layer that is designed to split down the middle of the flap protection thingy, and I am just asking... Why??? Most people just want to whip that thing off and attach the flaps, why would anyone want it to be individualized???

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

I don't think I've ever "smelled" a woman on her period, wtf :psyduck:

It's the blood clots in particular, but I think my sense of smell gets stronger around my period.

Metaline posted:

Got my period! Day 57. Long, irregular cycles due to stress are exacerbated by Pregnancy Fear, so every time it finally shows up, I celebrate.

Today I will celebrate with scotch, making snowboys on Animal Crossing, and eating whatever the gently caress I feel like for supper (which will probably be McDonalds because it's my number one period craving).

https://youtu.be/VjbPEA7hHtE
I just got the biggest, bloodiest period of all time!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pinus Porcus posted:

Yea, that feeling weirds me out too. I always feel like there is blood everywhere and that I am definitely bleeding through my pants: no matter how recently I changed pads.

Seriously! One drop, and I'm just imagining torrents of blood cascading up my butt & down my legs.

Haulin Oates posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbPEA7hHtE
I just got the biggest, bloodiest period of all time!

drat it, now I want sushi and bourbon, and I only have one of these things. :smith:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Gonna be real. Sometimes if it's very cold out, a bit of blood seeps out all warm, and that feeling is really nice for a second. That is the only upside to periods imo.

e: I've never smelled that another lady was on her period either, I think maybe we all think it's stinkier than it actually is.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HopperUK posted:

Gonna be real. Sometimes if it's very cold out, a bit of blood seeps out all warm, and that feeling is really nice for a second. That is the only upside to periods imo.

Hell no. My vulva is always exactly as warm as it needs to be, even if it's like -20c out.

quote:

e: I've never smelled that another lady was on her period either, I think maybe we all think it's stinkier than it actually is.

Me either. I always feel like I'm surrounded by a cloud of blood vapors any time I leave the apartment with a tampon that is more than three minutes old, but I've never smelled it on anyone else.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

I've never smelled another woman on her period, just myself, but that's enough to turn me off rare beef.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Period poop post: does anyone else have this thing where your cramps get way worse immediately after pooping, as if the poop in your body was cushioning the pain somehow?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Just came across this exchange in one of the many Covid threads:

MorrisBae posted:

Yeah imagine if we get both doses, things are going good, and then come fall everyone needs a booster that Pfizer doesn't have enough doses to provide

Whoopsie doodle!

Giga Gaia posted:

absolute doom brained poo poo, pharma firms are among the most careful and consistent companies on earth

Meanwhile, loving PFIZER is still unable to supply my loving BIRTH CONTROL after 6 months of it being loving OUT OF SUPPLY WORLD WIDE.

I spoke to my pharmacist last week and apparently the resupply has just been pushed back again. For the third time. UNTIL MARCH 2021.

No commentary on the covid vaccine intended, I've just been increasingly annoyed about loving PFIZER and wanted to vent. It's not like millions of women use 'birth control' as a major health modulator that cannot be easily substituted or forgone. It's fine, I'll just use condoms to treat my severe hormanal fatigue.

:rant:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm feeling pretty mad about stuff and I can't tell if it's legit or I'm overreacting to small poo poo :argh:

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Man I hope science studies the period smell phenomenon because, yeah, I smell mine. My husband says he only smells stuff if pads or whatever chill in the trash can for a bit. But I swear I walk around smelling like chum.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Xun posted:

I'm feeling pretty mad about stuff and I can't tell if it's legit or I'm overreacting to small poo poo :argh:

Nah, it’s something in the air, I’ve been punchy as of late but this weird mean girl snippy way. It was a miserable period this past week (and somehow it’s still going in surprise little drips. Call q anon cause I got a U Drop)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

I had this issue with my last package of pantyliners. New package, and they're back to normal sticky. What gives?

In my experience it's not the pads - it's the underwear, and specifically what they've been washed/dried with. When I tried using dryer sheets it covered my underwear with little tiny fibres that caused pads to unstick, and I've found certain detergents/softeners etc have the same effect.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Gotta love when your pad is completely bone dry when you wake up after nine hours of sleep and then all nine hours of blood drains out of you the second you stand up. :gonk:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I didn't get my period for two months and it came back so unexpectedly and so much more emotional than usual, BUT

Actual tissue.

There's actual endometrial tissue coming out for the first time in YEARS.

I'm so loving grateful.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

This is only tangentially related to the thread topic, but does anyone have any hot tips for dealing with breast acne? Lately I've been experimenting with putting a hydrocolloid bandage over especially problematic areas, but I swear to god this thing is drawing pus out from the briny depths of my titties. Pus that I didn't even know was in there is rising to the surface to fill this weird bandage. My mammaries have misunderstood their primary function and are producing the wrong fluids. Prior to this I had also tested using strong anti-acne creams and then putting a regular bandage over that so the cream wouldn't bleach my bras, but it turns out the skin in that area is so thin that a regular bandage just takes the skin with it when I peel it off. F-, would not recommend. I just want to enjoy my rad titties in peace but they refuse to be rad and insist on being a nightmare zone instead.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

Pyrotoad posted:

In my experience it's not the pads - it's the underwear, and specifically what they've been washed/dried with. When I tried using dryer sheets it covered my underwear with little tiny fibres that caused pads to unstick, and I've found certain detergents/softeners etc have the same effect.

I wish this explained it, but I haven’t changed my laundry routine in over 5 years, nor the brand of underwear I buy. I’m boringly routine :shrug:

e:

YeahTubaMike posted:

Gotta love when your pad is completely bone dry when you wake up after nine hours of sleep and then all nine hours of blood drains out of you the second you stand up.

So great, thanks body!

TeachesOfPeaches fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 16, 2020

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Everett False posted:

This is only tangentially related to the thread topic, but does anyone have any hot tips for dealing with breast acne? Lately I've been experimenting with putting a hydrocolloid bandage over especially problematic areas, but I swear to god this thing is drawing pus out from the briny depths of my titties. Pus that I didn't even know was in there is rising to the surface to fill this weird bandage. My mammaries have misunderstood their primary function and are producing the wrong fluids. Prior to this I had also tested using strong anti-acne creams and then putting a regular bandage over that so the cream wouldn't bleach my bras, but it turns out the skin in that area is so thin that a regular bandage just takes the skin with it when I peel it off. F-, would not recommend. I just want to enjoy my rad titties in peace but they refuse to be rad and insist on being a nightmare zone instead.

I also experience this on my breasts and face, but I've unfortunately got acne everywhere. Yay adult acne!

I've used the Rael hydrocolloid patches and not had them peel up *too* much skin, but I know what you mean.

I am a serial picker and I've read you're not supposed to use them if you've broken the skin at all on a breakout. I still do because I will pick the living daylight out of it otherwise, but this does tend to make the peeling worse.

I use tea tree oil when done using the patches to try to dry up what's left, but this does make the skin thinner so be careful - ie, don't go back to using a patch on that spot unless it's a thick tissue spot (haven't had issues going back and forth on my back with that method).

I also skip any other moisturizer and only use Aquaphor on spots where I've used the patches to help either prevent, or heal peeling.

For me, the peeling issue is undermined by the damage I'd do by picking otherwise I suppose.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It's a light one in the twelve or so hours it's been active. It is however really crampy.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Has anyone tried lanolin on chest acne or on cracked nipples? My friend swears by bag balm but i'm looking to avoid petrolatum

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
I used lanolin when I had cracked and damaged nipples from breastfeeding. It worked really really well for me. I'd use it right before and right after feeding my son and it was immediately soothing to the pain caused from the cracking.

Also, if I was good and used it as soon as I had a problem, they'd normally heal pretty quick.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lanolin is super comedogenic so it's not a good idea for any acne-prone areas. A lot of people like it as a moisturizer, if you can do it just on places that don't break out, like hands or I guess nipples.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Yea, i could see not wanting it on acne prone areas...I also couldn't see smearing bag balm on acne prone areas either, but maybe that's just me....:shrug:. I feel like cracked nipples and acne prone areas areas are going to require two different products.

Since lanolin was kinda spendy (at least the stuff marketed toward new moms), I was careful to really only put it on the nipple/damaged area and not really surrounding area so I didn't experience breakouts from it.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for the advice! The only other things i've tried are a drop of tea tree in a carrier oil and moisturizing and carrying water around during the waking hours in an attempt to drink more. I'll keep plugging away at it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm so mad right now. I am a ball of fuckin spikes and anger. Day 35 and if it doesn't come soon I'm going to paint stripes on my face and go to war. I hate everything and everyone.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Apparently this month's flavor of day two hellcramps are "small animal trying to claw its way out of my intestines. Really hoping this period ends before my loving MOVING DAY next week.

Also poo poo has been really stressful the past couple weeks and trying not to cry constantly while having serious conversations because I'm super hormonal is the loving worst. Like my emotions are absolutely valid but I'm pretty sure I don't need to cry as much as I've been crying.

Buhhhhh

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Apparently this month's flavor of day two hellcramps are "small animal trying to claw its way out of my intestines. Really hoping this period ends before my loving MOVING DAY next week.

Also poo poo has been really stressful the past couple weeks and trying not to cry constantly while having serious conversations because I'm super hormonal is the loving worst. Like my emotions are absolutely valid but I'm pretty sure I don't need to cry as much as I've been crying.

Buhhhhh

Ugh the lockdowns really have played havoc with my pms and totally turning up the dial. Instead of just being a little moody, at least one day a month I will be holding back tears, often unsuccessfully, for an entire day. These are not great times.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
CRACKED nipples? Oh dear god. :gonk:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Yo does anyone get worsened joint pain during their period? I have probably fibromyalgia and today my shoulder and neck has started hurting like a biiiiiiitch.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Ugh the lockdowns really have played havoc with my pms and totally turning up the dial. Instead of just being a little moody, at least one day a month I will be holding back tears, often unsuccessfully, for an entire day. These are not great times.

My PMS is like that every month. Thankfully antidepressants help. Now I don't have as much dark thoughts anymore!

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

CherryCola posted:

Yo does anyone get worsened joint pain during their period? I have probably fibromyalgia and today my shoulder and neck has started hurting like a biiiiiiitch.

I have fibromyalgia and a bunch of other poo poo wrong with me and I swear all of it is worse on my period.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I have an autoimmune thing that's normally very well controlled and it sure feels like I get a little flare-up with other PMS symptoms sometimes.

I've never charted it though, but I had a five day stretch of the worst fatigue / brain fog I've had in probably years this month.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This is fascinating. A youtube dress historian tests out 18th-century period clothing. Turns out it's not bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2TgwjjhOE

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

CherryCola posted:

It feels like someone donkey punched my sacrum, so yes.

Also re: cracked nip, there's udder cream that gets used on cows, and while it may sound odd that poo poo works. It has a high comedogenic index tho :(

And re: breast cysts (and really any other kind), they can come back because the sac that gets formed around the pus-nugget isn't fully removed, and your body freaks out and starts the process over. Fun!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I wish I could erase the phrase “pus nugget” from my mind but it’s there and I lust for death

Also udderly smooth is an amazing cream overall, helps with the freakish hand eczema I have

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pyrtanis posted:

Also re: cracked nip, there's udder cream that gets used on cows, and while it may sound odd that poo poo works. It has a high comedogenic index tho :(

I use the cow udder cream for joint/muscle pain. Using it to ease aches and pains is common among dairy farmers around here as well since most have it on hand for dealing with mastitis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Welp, I've been menstruating, sometimes heavily & sometimes lightly, since December 1. Don't worry, I'm scheduling a gyno appointment. Maybe I can get my massive fibroids lasered out soon.