Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Dick" being lettered identically every time is a huge tipoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wasn’t there a Crime Syndicate universe Tim Drake named Talon?

iirc, in the lastest one, he was called Drake and Prime Tim thought it was a good idea to use that instead of Red Robin

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I was never really familiar with the teen titans outside of a couple of episodes of the cartoon, but reading the last couple of pages I have a (completely honest) question.

is Starfire's real name really just 'coriander' spelled in an alien way? Is that like a joke like the names in Dragon Ball Z, or am I just reading the made up alien name wrong?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Red Bones posted:

I was never really familiar with the teen titans outside of a couple of episodes of the cartoon, but reading the last couple of pages I have a (completely honest) question.

is Starfire's real name really just 'coriander' spelled in an alien way? Is that like a joke like the names in Dragon Ball Z, or am I just reading the made up alien name wrong?

Dude I've also been reading it as Coriander.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Red Bones posted:

Yeah and Blackfire's name is just "Commander" spelled in an alien way.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Red Bones posted:

Yeah.

The new GN people are talking about is already a failure in my eyes because they didn't name her daughter Rosemary.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's very jarring to realise that a prominent comics character I've been sort of peripherally aware of since 2003 has been named after a herb this whole time.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Coriander and her sister Commander from the planet Tamarind.

Of course her brother's named Ryand'r and mother is named Luand'r so it's sometimes just good old 'human name w/noise'

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KaosMachina posted:

Of course her brother's named Ryand'r and mother is named Luand'r so it's sometimes just good old 'human name w/noise'

I didn't realize it was this Dragon Ball esque lmao

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KaosMachina posted:

It's Tamaran, not Tamarind. Obviously close though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Starfire. Oof a lot of no good baggage there

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1338559586157137928

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1338560882071072768

New anthology Batman book lead by Zdarsky with Eddy Barrows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Someone remembered Grifter existed and put him in a book a few weeks ago which was already wild.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've never gone from not giving a single poo poo to being totally on board as quickly as reading the first tweet then scrolling down to see the second.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Looks like DC is really embracing anthology titles as the way forward, which is not something I would have predicted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've never gone from not giving a single poo poo to being totally on board as quickly as reading the first tweet then scrolling down to see the second.

lol literally my reaction

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FMguru posted:

Looks like DC is really embracing anthology titles as the way forward, which is not something I would have predicted.

I am down for it. Better to tell me short punchy stories than waste my time with everything always needing a whole graphic novel every time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember when one year later had the teen titans gain 20+ new and interesting members including The Face and the writers spent the next year killing the characters or making them evil. Hell yeah.

It was just teen titans bullshit turned to the max and condensed into one stupid yeaf.

I remember thinking Sean McKeever was going to help pull the book out of its rapid decline because he was really good with the teen supers, right? Gravity, Nomad/Young Allies/Sentinel etc? And then he comes on you got things like Ravager kicking her one-night stand out of her bed telling him to leave before she cut it off.

Unsurprisingly, much later McKeever would say on Twitter that the editor was basically writing Titans at this point.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am down for it. Better to tell me short punchy stories than waste my time with everything always needing a whole graphic novel every time.

Same. Liking it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

lol literally my reaction

"Grifter? In 2021??? gently caress that lmao oh wait it's Chip better order two copies."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xelkelvos posted:

Someone remembered Grifter existed and put him in a book a few weeks ago which was already wild.

Somebody at DC loves the guy, he's been showing up sporadically since New52. I think he even got a series or two?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

catlord posted:

Somebody at DC loves the guy, he's been showing up sporadically since New52. I think he even got a series or two?

He got a series at the outset of New 52 alongside Stormwatch and Voodoo when they were trying to more aggressively fold in Wildstorm content with some metaplot with the Daemonites and such that even roped in other series like Demon Knights (before it got canceled). Some of the characters stuck around like Apollo and Mignighter, most of the rest didn't. Grifter mostly didn't either but someone there liked him enough to cameo in poo poo dspite his series cancelation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They’re multi part stories. The Zdarsky story is a six issue Batman/Red Hood tale. Not sure how many pages each chapter is. I am definitely interested in this book though. The Harley Quinn story will be written by the same writer as her ongoing series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

Jim Lee has often voiced his love of the character, calling him his favorite creation.

Oh look who's at the top of DC.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Grifter is by far the best Jim Lee creation, Grifter rules

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
One of these days a Grifter revamp will involve him actually grifting.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
DC and Marvel should work out a deal to allow Gambit and Grifter to swap names. And ohhhh, I don't know... how about Wolverine and Baby Wildebeest too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Karma Tornado posted:

Grifter is by far the best Jim Lee creation, Grifter rules
He's Batman/Blue Beetle with guns and a dumb mask.
Stop trying to make Griffen a thing!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
You'll be pleased to know that DC hasn't bothered doing anything with The Griffin in nearly three decades.

Less happily, they haven't given any steady work to Keith Griffen in over a year, ever since his and Jeff Levine's Inferior Four book got Corvid Canceled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

You'll be pleased to know that DC hasn't bothered doing anything with The Griffin in nearly three decades.

Less happily, they haven't given any steady work to Keith Griffen in over a year, ever since his and Jeff Levine's Inferior Four book got Corvid Canceled.

What did the crows do to get the book canceled?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cole Cash, aka Grifter????

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should modernize grifter by making him a right wing podcaster who shills for fake brain pills.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

They should modernize grifter by making him a right wing podcaster who shills for fake brain pills.

WildKAGs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

That also describes Red Hood which is a little lmao. Grifter and Jason Todd are basically the same archetype atm just one is Batfamily and the other isn't.

Also, new SuperSons book

dumb but cute easter egg

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Alaois posted:

Cole Cash, aka Grifter????

I was really dumb all this time to never realize his name is basically Cold Cash.

*sigh*

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

He's Gambit with the powers of like three other Lee-era X-Men and that is very funny, to me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I had let a bunch of books pile up in my Comixology due to various other things taking my attention/life stuff over the last couple years, and now due to covid and working from home I finally manage to make it through it (with the exception of ditching Nightwing once I got to the Lobdell run, made it about half an issue in and couldn't take any more). Which included about 80 issues of Wonder Woman, and then I finally got around to going through the original Rucka run and finally am making my way through the Simone stuff now.

Which is basically 6 different writers (and more pencillers because they were less consistent throughout) runs.

James Robinson: Technically proficient, art was generally very good, as folks like Lupacchino are usually reliable. But so much about this run just screams a fundamental, in my eyes, lack of understand of the appeal of the character. Honestly, I feel like Robinson didn't even really want to be working on the book, considering Diana is barely ever the actual hero in her own story. And the laser-focus on making sure we up the number of important male characters in the story by revealing Wonder Woman's secret brother and also making her (ugh) father the big heroic presence in the story was absolutely infuriating. Moreso because there were interesting ideas, especially Jason's armour that imbued the wearer with the powers of the Greek gods, but only one at a time a la Ultra Boy. Just reinforced my hatred for the daughter of Zeus origin.

G Willow Wilson: (technically Steve Orlando had an arc in here, but it tied into his longer run later) Much more interesting by actually feeling like it was interested in both saying something about the character, and bringing back some interesting elements that had been shuffled off the table. Felt a little cut short because the budding romance between the waitress-turned-Amazon and her satyr friend got dropped abruptly, though I suspect that was due to the whole Lex/Year Of The Villain stuff getting thrust on them. The idea of the gods being directly linked to their domains was very clever, as was the sudden reintroduction of the mythical elements of the book. The humour worked really well, especially the buddy-cop element of Giganta in her appearances. And the handling of the slow burn collapse of the Steve Trevor romance was excellent, even if the flirting with Atlantiades never really felt that earned. But more than anything it felt like Wonder Woman was the actual focus of the story, instead of waiting for daddy or little brother to save her.

I'll try and come up with some more coherent thoughts about the other runs in another post soon.

Cross-posting from chat thread.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Did Chip have an exclusive contract with Marvel? I'm loving his Daredevil run and this makes me worried that it's either gonna end sooner than expected or that he won't get to write more Marvel characters.

Also, just finished Rucka's Wonder Woman Rebirth run and I kind of liked it but also ended up slightly dissapointed about some stuff (did we ever get more of an origin for Cheetah?)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think the era of exclusive contrasts is pretty much over, but as good as he is Zdarsky isn't like a huge deal (sales wise) so why bother signing him to one? I can't see him stopping at Marvel, and who would ever turn down writing Batman?

He is definitely one of my top three current writers, so if Marvel was smart they would sign him and Tom Taylor as exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

radlum posted:

Also, just finished Rucka's Wonder Woman Rebirth run and I kind of liked it but also ended up slightly dissapointed about some stuff (did we ever get more of an origin for Cheetah?)
Do you mean the whole entire run? If so, then no not really. Issue #8 and #18 were the main Cheetah origin issues.

Rucka's run does leave a lot of unresolved plotlines, unfortunately. They eventually do get resolved...waaaaay later, by other writers...but yeah.