Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I watched the Raid tonight. You'd never be able to stab somebody deep enough with a broken fluorescent light bulb tube to do any life threatening damage. It would be more likely to shatter in your hand. And forget about applying any kind of lateral force to perform a cutting motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ego-bot posted:

You'd never be able to stab somebody deep enough with a broken fluorescent light bulb tube to do any life threatening damage.

Well not with that attitude you won't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone hasn't played No More Heroes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rydiafan posted:

Well not with that attitude you won't.

:agreed:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Weapon II should have been an aye-aye.

No, Weapon I should have been the aye-aye because that's the natural progression.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why does the Mandalorian, who never shows anybody his face, have a mustache? That’s a deliberate style choice.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why does the Mandalorian, who never shows anybody his face, have a mustache? That’s a deliberate style choice.

Helmet is mirrored on the inside as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised that Mandalorians of his stripe consider their personal appearance a bit of a quiet hobby, considering they don't expect to show it.

We don't see enough characters shave. Someone's personal grooming is interesting to see, it says so much about them given context.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
In Public Enemies they show Johnny Depp shaving with a double edge safety razor so Dillinger must have been a loving hipster.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ego-bot posted:

I watched the Raid tonight. You'd never be able to stab somebody deep enough with a broken fluorescent light bulb tube to do any life threatening damage. It would be more likely to shatter in your hand. And forget about applying any kind of lateral force to perform a cutting motion.

yeah fluorescent lights show up as menacing weapons in a lot of movies (i'm thinking Green Room) but whenever they make an appearance all i can think of is that scene from 40 yo virgin

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprised that Mandalorians of his stripe consider their personal appearance a bit of a quiet hobby, considering they don't expect to show it.

We don't see enough characters shave. Someone's personal grooming is interesting to see, it says so much about them given context.

How about a Scorsese film just about shaving?

https://youtu.be/339_xkqiCLk

Warning: blood.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Incredibly irrational: I cannot stand it any time any show or movie or anything uses the exact same alarm clock sound as my alarm clock. Instantly takes me out of the action because part of my brain is going "ahhhhhh gently caress i'm awake aaahhhhhh"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

biosterous posted:

Incredibly irrational: I cannot stand it any time any show or movie or anything uses the exact same alarm clock sound as my alarm clock. Instantly takes me out of the action because part of my brain is going "ahhhhhh gently caress i'm awake aaahhhhhh"
Is it this one? (skip to 42s if it doesn't embed properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrDysNeCmU&t=42s

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ego-bot posted:

Well good news because that character doesn't die

edit: well, I suppose it could be his twin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well good news because that character doesn't die

edit: well, I suppose it could be his twin.

The Raid: Mad Dog absolutely dies. But it's not hard to get a different role in the sequel when you're the fight coordinator.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

Is it this one? (skip to 42s if it doesn't embed properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrDysNeCmU&t=42s

yup!!!!!!! a sound that should be banned from all forms of media and limited only to actual alarm clocks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had to change my text alert tone because the default iPhone one shows up in tv and movies a lot and I’d always end up reaching for my phone when I heard it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

In the final act of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, there are three trials Indy has to go through in order to reach the chamber where he'll find the holy grail. The hint for the first one is that only the penitent man will pass. Indy figures out that he needs to kneel at the very last second, and ducks under a horizontal blade intended to kill anyone who remains standing. He also does a quick somersault to avoid a vertical blade that comes up from the floor. What gives?! That's some rude-rear end poo poo. If someone were merely penitent, they'd get killed for no good reason! The clue says nothin' about being a penitent Dark Souls player, who would instinctively dodge roll just because they can.

I mean, I get that the holy grail is an artifact deserving of the strongest defenses, sure, but don't hand out misleading clues, guys. I'd consider complaining about that nazi's clothes rapidly aging, too, but I'm willing to accept that they did it cause it looked cooler. Also, I think he spilled down himself while drinking anyway, so let's just say the effect works on clothes, too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

liquidypoo posted:

In the final act of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, there are three trials Indy has to go through in order to reach the chamber where he'll find the holy grail. The hint for the first one is that only the penitent man will pass. Indy figures out that he needs to kneel at the very last second, and ducks under a horizontal blade intended to kill anyone who remains standing. He also does a quick somersault to avoid a vertical blade that comes up from the floor. What gives?! That's some rude-rear end poo poo. If someone were merely penitent, they'd get killed for no good reason! The clue says nothin' about being a penitent Dark Souls player, who would instinctively dodge roll just because they can.

I mean, I get that the holy grail is an artifact deserving of the strongest defenses, sure, but don't hand out misleading clues, guys. I'd consider complaining about that nazi's clothes rapidly aging, too, but I'm willing to accept that they did it cause it looked cooler. Also, I think he spilled down himself while drinking anyway, so let's just say the effect works on clothes, too.

It really messes up what is the will of god (that a sneaky midwestern ninja would do that because he was the chosen one) and the technicalities of how to spell in Latin. Or not really having faith in a beautiful optical illusion and leap but rather scatter sand on it. Which btw, Jones, didn't work out with you before with the sand bag why even keep that tradition going?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

liquidypoo posted:

If he had just knelt he would have been fine. The last vertical blade is to take out anyone who prays like a muslim.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
But plenty of Christians prostrate themselves when they pray, especially in the Eastern churches.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well goes to show the Catholic Church is the one true church :goonsay:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Raiders is very specific about the weapon of God and His Will, and I'm pretty sure it ain't jehovah smitin' them fools.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Well goes to show the Catholic Church is the one true church :goonsay:
*glares Orthodoxly*

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casnorf posted:

Raiders is very specific about the weapon of God and His Will, and I'm pretty sure it ain't jehovah smitin' them fools.

This just goes back to the whole problem that Jones knows that the Old Testament God and the New Testament are real as well as Hinduism and aliens and just kind of is blasé about it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This just goes back to the whole problem that Jones knows that the Old Testament God and the New Testament are real as well as Hinduism and aliens and just kind of is blasé about it.

Wouldn't you be? Dude fought in both World Wars and has been and seen the worst humanity had to offer. Anything else has gotta be worth a shot, right?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casnorf posted:

Wouldn't you be? Dude fought in both World Wars and has been and seen the worst humanity had to offer. Anything else has gotta be worth a shot, right?

Refrigeratorism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

biosterous posted:

cell phone companies being cutesy and using their default ring as part of their ad jingle

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
my alternating morning alarms are old terrifying landline phone and dialup modem sound at full volume, and I still glance at my phone if I hear a default android alarm sound

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

biosterous posted:

groundhog day but every new day starts with that alarm sound instead of "I got you babe"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Casnorf posted:

Yeah, being a University professor without tenure can be tough.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Keromaru5 posted:

*glares Orthodoxly*

*sips tea and nibbles biscuit Anglicanly*

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The temple was constructed by the crusaders who found the grail in the first place. Setting up the trap to deliberately kill both Muslims and Orthodox would be very in character for crusaders.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Why is Tim Curry immediately suspicious of Kevin in Home Alone 2? The kid walks in and is talking to the lady at the front desk, and from across the room Curry's first thought is to tell Rob Schneider to find out everything he can about him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Friend posted:

Why is Tim Curry immediately suspicious of Kevin in Home Alone 2? The kid walks in and is talking to the lady at the front desk, and from across the room Curry's first thought is to tell Rob Schneider to find out everything he can about him.

He recognized him from the first movie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I don't know where to put this but I finally got around to watching Joker and uh...it's really good. :shrug: I know it caught a lot of initial gushing praise and then a bunch of backlash but I don't see the problem people have with it. Which I guess is my IIMM in reverse.

Joaquin Phoenix knocks it out of the park, the direction is fantastic and, despite the trailers, it's not nearly as derivative as I was led to believe. I guess it was cool to dig it, then cool to hate it and then kind of agreed upon to land in the middle on it but I think they did a really good job and it's one of the more engaging films I've seen in a while. I suppose the protagonist doesn't NEED to be The Joker but I actually felt that aspect added to the film.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

There wasn't any backlash. What happened was, a bunch of people kept saying, based on the trailer, that the movie would be some kind of incel manifesto and inspire a mass shooter. Many of them even cited a long-debunked rumor about the Aurora shooter dressing up as the Joker when he shot up The Dark Knight Rises.

Then the movie came out and turned out to largely be about class warfare and social alienation, and the worst thing it did was turn a staircase into a tourist attraction.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
From what I saw of the Joker, it was Taxi Driver (2019), does that mostly track?
Wrt themes of classism and social alienation, not specific plot points, of course.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

From what I saw of the Joker, it was Taxi Driver (2019), does that mostly track?
Wrt themes of classism and social alienation, not specific plot points, of course.

Yeah basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I didn't like it just because the joker is a villain that has been done to death (literally, in one case). He's just not interesting. Mr freeze, the penguin, now those are villains I'd like to hear more about (as long as they are portrayed by arnold and danny devito again).