Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My parents, sister, and my wife and I all put into a pot for a fortnight in France in the summer, as our gifts to each other. It’s worked well for years and covid has absolutely hosed it, and it will continue to be further hosed by Brexit. Ho hum.

Since becoming a dad it has apparently become acceptable for me to have a few drinks on Xmas eve and then stay in a “technically sober, but I wouldn’t drive” state for about two weeks. It’s great!

Edit: what a snipe. Here’s Charles glaring disapprovingly at my drunken, negligent self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

The solution is that you should just celebrate Christmas. There is literally no reason not to.

This is so dumb, even to someone who has mostly thrown off his Grinchiness and enjoys it as a rare time me, my folks and sister and brother-in-law are all in one house at the same time.

"Just celebrate it" is a poo poo and unhelpful thing to throw in. If you're lonely then Christmas can be one of the most depressing and alienating times of the year.

Also laughing at the idea that Christmas isn't oppressively more crassly commercial than any other say of the year. If Christmas was just one day to "party" I'm sure fewer people would be down on it but it's not. It's bare minimum a month of that poo poo: tat no one needs and will be in the bin by the end if January, obnoxiously cheerful adverts wall to wall on telly, the same 20 songs on a loop across radio, television, shops, taxis, any where you go.

Worst of all of course is smug bellends telling you you're wrong if you don't enjoy it regardless if your reasons are related to personal trauma or just being a grumpy bastard or anything in between those extremes.

(And nobody celebrates the August bank holiday. Taking it off is not comparable to Christmas)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Free yourself from the chains of turkey.

e:
:catstare:

"Obsessive Jews are a main cause of antisemitism" being something that has never gone to bad places before.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 15, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

:siren: New UKMT Podcast For The UKMT :siren:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1338791852061896706?s=20

Come listen to us ramble about buying water futures, freeports, and privatised royal train toilets!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Christmas chat:

Thanks for all your input, I shall ponder further. Withdraws into the bomb bay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73PsFKtIck

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Christmas as a day to be with family/friends and enjoy a meal and some company is wonderful. Christmas as a "season" from mid-November onwards is a gross performative orgy of capitalism which stresses me the gently caress out.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/stefmowords/status/1338599961324380160?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

It's bare minimum a month of that poo poo: tat no one needs and will be in the bin by the end if January, obnoxiously cheerful adverts wall to wall on telly, the same 20 songs on a loop across radio, television, shops, taxis, any where you go.
Avoiding all this shite has been one of the most unexpected benefits of basically living indoors this year. It's also the first year in a long while we haven't felt guilted into travelling across the country to visit family; we're going to spend Christmas drinking mimosas instead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how late Johnson will leave reversing the Christmas rule. Really it's too late now to avoid a huge backlash but he does love half-heartedly doing what scientists tell him to do weeks after the fact.

I'm betting we're told on the evening of the 22nd that Christmas is, in fact, cancelled - leaving no time for anyone to change their plans and get food in.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nah he won't reverse it at all, he's going to compare thousands of preventable winter deaths to a regrettable Boxing Day hangover and come up with some awful catchphrase about making a New Year's resolution to "quit coronavirus once and for all".

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For overnight pondering:

My almost-5-year old great-niece wants to interview me on zoom as to why I don't celebrate christmas.

I'm under strict instructions from my sister (grandma to said child) that I'm not to disillusion her or tell her anything different to what she's learning at her (church) school.
So, I said to her, you mean without mentioning the stench of hypocrisy, the reek of capitalism and the pong of commercialization..... nor the pre-existing pagan festivals around the same time of year then?
No - none of that, she said.

As I don't have the option of saying "I'm a {name your religion here}" or "I'm a {name your Christian group that doesn't celebrate xmas eg the Wee Frees}", I'm at a bit of a loss what to say that isn't outright dishonest. There's only so much I can fob off with 'when you're a big girl ask me again'.
(This kid is very bright and remembers everything)

She wanted to do it this evening (Mon) but I managed to put it off til Wednesday evening. If anyone has any good ideas, more than happy to hear them. (I've got private message now if anyone doesn't want to disillusion the Believers in Santa ITT).

This is the time of year when I put my Bah Humbug hat on (which my sister gave me some years ago).

you should probably chill out a bit, it's just a fun time to catch up with friends and fam, a little light in the dark. just say you prefer not to celebrate it why does it need to be a drama.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well who could have foreseen this. The home office said this paper wasn't in the public interest replying to a FoI request from the independent :thunk:

https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1338799039333212168?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jose posted:

well who could have foreseen this. The home office said this paper wasn't in the public interest replying to a FoI request from the independent :thunk:

everybody got what they wanted out of this, which was to turn it into another front in the culture war, and the victims as usual get nothing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jose posted:

Oh good, this will shut up those people on Twitter who reply to every mention of Islamophobia with rants about grooming gangs. Glad that's over.

gh0stpinballa posted:

you should probably chill out a bit, it's just a fun time to catch up with friends and fam, a little light in the dark. just say you prefer not to celebrate it why does it need to be a drama.

My reading is that the entire conversation is about why she prefers not to celebrate Christmas.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gh0stpinballa posted:

I haven't celebrated it and have spent it alone - or just me and the kitties - for 25 years now. It wasn't a drama at all until I moved back nearer family 5 years ago and who are making it a bloody drama every year now.
It's very stressful actually, the huge emotional blackmail that comes at me from all sides and that goes on for over a month. I just wish they'd accept it and leave me alone.
(Overheard sub-voce comments such as "there is something wrong with people who don't want to celebrate christmas" do not help. )

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 15, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

therattle posted:

I'm Jewish. We have had gatherings of friends on/around Xmas and it's nice but the day itself has zero significance.

Christmas is a secular holiday so there's really no reason not to celebrate it if you're Jewish. But it sounds like you do anyway but with the day just shifted a bit. Because all Christmas is is a party in the winter.

forkboy84 posted:

This is so dumb, even to someone who has mostly thrown off his Grinchiness and enjoys it as a rare time me, my folks and sister and brother-in-law are all in one house at the same time.

"Just celebrate it" is a poo poo and unhelpful thing to throw in. If you're lonely then Christmas can be one of the most depressing and alienating times of the year.

Also laughing at the idea that Christmas isn't oppressively more crassly commercial than any other say of the year. If Christmas was just one day to "party" I'm sure fewer people would be down on it but it's not. It's bare minimum a month of that poo poo: tat no one needs and will be in the bin by the end if January, obnoxiously cheerful adverts wall to wall on telly, the same 20 songs on a loop across radio, television, shops, taxis, any where you go.

Worst of all of course is smug bellends telling you you're wrong if you don't enjoy it regardless if your reasons are related to personal trauma or just being a grumpy bastard or anything in between those extremes.

(And nobody celebrates the August bank holiday. Taking it off is not comparable to Christmas)

I'm single, everyone in my family who I chose to associate with are dead, and I don't have many friends. Don't lecture me about loneliness at Christmas.

I've got two weeks off work, I'm going to relax, play Cyberpunk, watch telly, eat some good food and make myself a big meal on Christmas day specifically. I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be nice. Just because my circumstances are bad is no reason to be resentful of other people having a good time, when the good time we're talking about is celebrating with family.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i've been researching rotherham specifically for years and i am still astonished that a) the state and press were able to cover it up so effectively w race baiting and b) the left was so keen to fall for it.

what was actually happening in south yorkshire - is graft, CSA and corruption (not incompetence) on a horrifying scale. the cops, social services, local councils and home office were all in on it. 1400 children over 20 years. the stories are there to find if you know where to look.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

I'm Jewish. We have had gatherings of friends on/around Xmas and it's nice but the day itself has zero significance.

I'm Jewish and I celebrate xmas because everyone around me does and it makes them happy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm single, everyone in my family who I chose to associate with are dead, and I don't have many friends. Don't lecture me about loneliness at Christmas.

I wasn't, I was lecturing you about not being quite so smug and maybe accepting that people are allowed to not enjoy the things they don't enjoy. Great that you cope how you cope, let others cope how they want.

Also Christmas is not a secular holiday, loving hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

I'm Jewish and I celebrate xmas because everyone around me does and it makes them happy.

We celebrate Christmas with gifts of chocolate oranges.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I haven't celebrated it and have spent it alone - or just me and the kitties - for 25 years now. It wasn't a drama at all until I moved back nearer family 5 years ago and who are making it a bloody drama every year now.
It's very stressful actually, the huge emotional blackmail that comes at me from all sides and that goes on for over a month. I just wish they'd accept it and leave me alone.
(Overheard sub-voce comments such as "there is something wrong with people who don't want to celebrate christmas" do not help. )

yeah that is out of order. i take it they won't be happy with you saying "i just don't do christmas", seems like they should back off a tad.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

We celebrate Christmas with gifts of chocolate oranges.

Ah, I see you hate your family and go begrudgingly with poo poo gifts. I can respect that!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

The pseudo-secularization of Christmas is how the Pope gets into your house.

Also via the chimney.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jesus was Jewish & im pretty sure he celebrated christmas every year (although probably not in winter)

forkboy84 posted:

It is so, and furthermore what's with all those foreigners not speaking English when I go on holiday, it's the language of the whole world, jeez

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

And yet they publish it with the mugshots of twenty angry-looking brown people.

Funny, that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving hell starmer is so poo poo saying schools should stay open still

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jose posted:

loving hell starmer is so poo poo saying schools should stay open still

School closures are wrong while the virus term is ongoing

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

My Christmas has been made cause I just received some of Camrath's amazing fudge. Totally lived up to the thread hype!

If you see this thanks so much Camrath, this fudge will make some great presents :D

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Good News, everyone! (except those in Kent)

Kent lorry park will not be ready in time for Brexit day deadline

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone tried the Irish cream? I haven't yet, but 'alcoholic and creamy' just seems like such an obviously successful fudge flavour.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

France expanding parking and processing facilities in Calais many months ago - those silly French, should just go with a sensible, grownup, just-in-time solution.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I wasn't, I was lecturing you about not being quite so smug and maybe accepting that people are allowed to not enjoy the things they don't enjoy. Great that you cope how you cope, let others cope how they want.

"Smug" is a pretty weird way to describe someone who just told you they'll be spending Christmas alone because their family is dead, but okay. Obviously people feel however they want as according to their own circumstances, but there's no point acting like there's anything wrong with there being one day a year where the vast majority of people have a good time.

Christmas is a collection of ancient pagan religious festivals that have been defunct for many centuries and has been co-opted by modern society into a non-religious excuse to, again, have a party in the winter. All the Christians managed to do is staple a name onto it. Incidentally, Easter is exactly the same thing in the spring, but the Christians didn't even manage to get the name for that one.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Anyone come up with a Brexit gently caress-Up Apologist Bingo card yet? I can already imagine "Teething troubles", "We're in this for the long term", "If the EU had..." and "If the EU hadn't...", " But the pandemic!", "Nobody could have predicted..." and the centre square, "At least we have ARE SOVRINTY".

Also "It's Corbyn's fault" on there for some reason.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone tried the Irish cream? I haven't yet, but 'alcoholic and creamy' just seems like such an obviously successful fudge flavour.

I got the dark chocolate and chilli but if that flavour comes back I'll be ordering immediately

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Payndz posted:

Anyone come up with a Brexit gently caress-Up Apologist Bingo card yet? I can already imagine "Teething troubles", "We're in this for the long term", "If the EU had..." and "If the EU hadn't...", " But the pandemic!", "Nobody could have predicted..." and the centre square, "At least we have ARE SOVRINTY".

I'm predicting a lot of "if Jiminy Crumbles hadn't blocked Theresa May's brilliant deal which I was also firmly against this wouldn't have happened."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Payndz posted:

Centre square is Corbyn, obviously. He's way too obvious a statment to go anywhere else.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Christmas is not a secular holiday, but I'll grant it's been co-opted by capitalism in the same way that christianity co-opted Yule (and other pagan celebrations from various parts of Europe) in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love christmas, I love the songs, I love the food, I love a lot of stuff to do with it, but it's not secular even if it can be celebrated in that way.

Let's not forget we have a state religion in this country.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

mehall posted:

Christmas is not a secular holiday, but I'll grant it's been co-opted by capitalism in the same way that christianity co-opted Yule (and other pagan celebrations from various parts of Europe) in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love christmas, I love the songs, I love the food, I love a lot of stuff to do with it, but it's not secular even if it can be celebrated in that way.

Let's not forget we have a state religion in this country.

Yeah it's a shame we can't have a genuinely secular "winter sucks, let's have lights and food" festival around the shortest day of the year. (Some) Christians would get upset that we were taking the religion out of Christmas, gammons would be angry at PC-woke-ifiying the word Christmas, and it could be off-putting to non-Christian religious people that it still contained many of the same symbols.

Basically Christmas is a huge mess of contrasts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In light of this I'm changing my answer, tell your sister that you're going to answer your niece's questions honestly and if she has a problem with that then she can lie to the child instead and make up a reason about why the call can't happen.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah it's a shame we can't have a genuinely secular "winter sucks, let's have lights and food" festival around the shortest day of the year. (Some) Christians would get upset that we were taking the religion out of Christmas, gammons would be angry at PC-woke-ifiying the word Christmas, and it could be off-putting to non-Christian religious people that it still contained many of the same symbols.

Basically Christmas is a huge mess of contrasts.
Thread is rapidly accelerating towards Festivus :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

stev posted:

I'm predicting a lot of "if Jiminy Crumbles hadn't blocked Theresa May's brilliant deal which I was also firmly against this wouldn't have happened."

Hindsight being 20/20, we should have taken the stupid deal.